Nobody's Dying by Keikokin (PG)
Can Clark help Lex when it's time to say goodbye?

Categories: Clark/Lex
Characters:
Genres: Angst
Warnings: Fluff
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1
Word count: 875 - Hits: 3006
Complete?: Yes - Published: 25/12/06 - Last Updated: 25/12/06

1. one shot by Keikokin



one shot by Keikokin
Clex – Post Rift
Beta: Olivia!
Rating: PG…warnings for enough fluff to rate as candy
Disclaimer: Smallville is the property of the WB, CW and DC because they own Superman down to his red boots. No maliciousness was ever meant.


Lex threw the medical reports across the room. He cleared off his desk with one sweep of his arms. Sagging down into his chair he thought of all he'd done in his short life. He hadn't asked for half the shit he'd had to endure. It wasn't his fault he'd turned out the way he had…not really.

After all there were many to be held accountable for how badly his life sucked right now. Lionel. Lucas. Helen. Desiree…and of course Lana, who simply held on enough to take his only heir and bleed him dry. He'd had to sell off a lot of his assets just to survive the divorce case.

His mind wandered, as it sometimes did, thanks the myriad of drugs he was on. And as usual, it floated back to one Clark Jerome Kent.

The first time Clark left they had said goodbye. Lex thought it was final. But then Clark kept getting in his face, over and over again. Yet, after the second time they'd said goodbye somehow Lex knew it was different. He hadn't seen Clark since.

Sure he'd seen the newspaper headlines and knew quite well that Clark was Superman. He'd have to be a raving idiot not too. Lex was certain his father knew before he passed away as well. Hell, probably half of Smallville knew but didn't want to piss off the alien. They'd had enough from mutants thank you very much.

Clark had been so right on so many things. But Lex had insisted that his way was right. The Luthor way had been ingrained in him for so long. Yet, Clark had been the only one to see the other side of himself, one he couldn't even see. Maybe it wasn't too late. Then again, according to the doctors being around all the Kryptonite had given him cancer and he would be lucky to live out the week.

What did he have to lose? He picked up the phone and left a message at the Daily Planet for Clark. Hanging it up he started to write a letter, just in case.

Maybe I was too blind to see the truth Clark. Maybe we could have had it all. Maybe I could have been the Lex you wanted to see. Or maybe I still have some good left in me, I don't know. But the doctors say its time to get my affairs in order. I never deserved you, or your love Clark. I'll try to watch over you once I…well, then again the better seats are always above.

Things certainly didn't get easier for the two of us did it? I'm willing to share the blame if you are. You were the only one who ever really saw all of me Clark. It scared the shit out of me. I couldn't help but fall in love with you. But to win you would be like winning the lottery, a chance in a trillion. You've been the only one who really meant anything to me. Surprise?

Yes, I suppose it is. Maybe I just got addicted to having the Clark Kent of old in my life and couldn’t stand you growing away from me. You are my only one. There's a reason to believe that we almost got it right Clark, even if you never loved me back. Forgive me.


A terrific pain shot through his temple and he fell limp across the very table, leaving a small trickle of blood on the paper.

Moments later a breeze made the paper flutter. "LEX!"


Lex awoke to blinding white light. "Am I-?"

"No, Lex you aren't dead." Clark smiled leaning over him.

Doubt filled Lex. Surely he was hallucinating or dreaming. Why would Clark be smiling over him? "Clark?"

"Yeah, I found you and brought you to my Fortress of Solitude. It took a while for the AI to cure you. I hope you don't mind but it took a bit of surgery to pinpoint all the cancer and remove it." Clark's smile faltered and he took Lex's hand in his own. "I read your note."

"Clark I –" Lex began but Clark leaned forward and gently brushed his lips across Lex's.

Pulling away he smiled once more. "We have a second chance Lex. Maybe this time we can get it right. I love you too."

"But I'm nobody and you're Superman," Lex argued.

"I'm nobody with out you. I need you Lex, to make me feel real and to make me feel human." Clark's voice shook with the force of his emotions.

"In the end I guess it just comes down to you and me," Lex grinned for the first time in years, pulled Clark forward by the nape of his neck and kissed him once more.

This story archived at http://www.squidge.org/keikokin/viewstory.php?sid=852.