Holiday Spirit by Keikokin (PG)
Clark is dealing with being poor at Christmas.

Categories: Clark/Lex
Characters:
Genres: First Time
Warnings: Fluff
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1
Word count: 5449 - Hits: 4324
Complete?: Yes - Published: 14/12/06 - Last Updated: 14/12/06

1. one shot by Keikokin



one shot by Keikokin
Note: The first half is the original drabble, which was then added to by request.
Disclaimer: Smallville and Superman are owned by the WB, the CW and most importantly DC comics. I don’t own any of it, except the character of Mr. Ted Edwards. No maliciousness was intended on my part.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Clark bit his lip looking at the presents he’d been given by Chloe, Lana, Lex and Pete. He looked out the window and fought back a wealth of emotions. He HATED being poor.

It wasn’t fair!

How many people had he saved? But he never got paid for it. And no one would hire him because he was always dashing off to save someone. If saving people was his destiny did that mean he’d always be poor?

He looked once more in his empty wallet wishing he had money to buy gifts. His stomach rolled. Apparently guilt was still free.


Looking around his loft, Clark wondered if anything he owned was in good enough shape to wrap up and pass off as gifts. His eyes cast about his worn out possessions, most of which were handed down from his parents or bought at the thrift shop. “What good are all these abilities if I can’t make presents?” Clark muttered aloud while staring at the floor, feeling a wave of depression crash over him.

With all the expenses of the farm this year and the failure of the crops, thanks to an unusual amount of rain, he hadn’t received an allowance for months. He understood but he hated it. It wasn’t his parents fault.

Adding to the mix was the constant questions from his friends asking why he hadn’t been going to the movies, the Talon, the school games or dances. It had been embarrassing trying to come up with reason after reason. Clark had begun to withdraw from the social scene at school only adding to his status as geek.

He couldn’t go to the castle either to see Lex. The young billionaire was too smart for his own good. There was no way he wouldn’t figure it all out. It would only take a few feeble excuses as to why he wasn’t going out with his friends and the cat would be out of the bag.

Why had anyone even given him presents? He was practically ignoring them all. Even when they dropped the presents off at the farm, he’d gone on a fast run so he wouldn’t have to face them. What was he going to say? “Oh thanks, sorry I didn’t get you anything.” That would go over really well.

Then there were the looks of guilt, pity and sadness from his parents. It made every meal ever since feel like he was eating sawdust. He knew they felt badly about finances and they understood. Christmas had always been a huge deal on the farm, but this year they didn’t even put lights up because it would drive up the electric bill.

They’d even had the talk too. Christmas would wait until the after Christmas sales and even then he was only expecting one gift, from the thrift shop. Things were really bad. The second car had been sold the month before last to mortgage and taxes. After that the long distance had been shut off. His mom had taken to lighting candles all around the house saying how ‘cozy’ it made everything, but Clark wasn’t fooled. It was to cut back on the electric some more. A big blanket now hung at the start of the second floor to keep heat on the first floor from the fire. Then at night the blanket was taken down so the heat would surge upstairs. The past few weeks had consisted of hanging blankets over the windows and putting plastic over them to keep the cold air outside.

He felt useless, absolutely useless. Fighting back the urge to scream or maybe even cry, Clark punched the nearest hay bale blowing it to smithereens. It just wasn’t fair! They went to church every Sunday and said their blessings over each meal. Prayers were always said each night. Why was this happening to them?

If things didn’t turn around soon they would lose the farm. And it had been in the family for generations. How would he hide that from his friends? “Oh we just decided to move.”

Clark snorted and gulped back the tightness in his throat. Shrugging on his thread bare coat, Clark decided to go for a walk. Maybe something would come to him.


Lex Luthor walked into the Talon. His eyes soon fixed on whom he needed to speak to and he made a beeline for their table. He was soon standing at the side of the table. Clearing his throat he waited for the person to look up.

“Oh hi, Lex,” Chloe gave a tight smile. “How are you?”

“No offense Miss Sullivan, I’m not here for small talk. When was the last time you saw Clark? Each time I swing by the farm to see him, he’s nowhere to be found. He doesn’t come over any more and I can’t recall the last time I saw him here.” Lex gestured around the coffee shop, which was chock full of smiling, laughing holiday shoppers.

Chloe seemed to slump in her chair. “I see him at school because we share a few classes. But no one has been able to talk to him. He even dropped off the Talon staff.”

Lex blinked. “He what? When did this happen?” He sat down heavily, instead of the usual grace that always seemed to flow from him.

“It wasn’t long after school started. I tried to talk to him about his first assignment and he said he wasn’t going to be able to work on the Torch because of stuff at home.” She shrugged staring into her coffee. “It’s not the same without him.”

Steepling his gloved hands together, Lex was quiet a minute. “Hasn’t he been hanging out with you, Pete or Lana?” Chloe simply shook her head. “Did he get into a fight with anyone?”

“No, but Lana was wondering if maybe he was depressed or something. Pete thought he’d become a snob. But I just can’t see Clark ever becoming a snob, can you?” Chloe looked to Lex and suddenly Lex felt the weight of the young woman’s concern. She seemed to think he had all the answers. But he was just as perplexed as anyone. His fear was that he’d overtly flirted at some point and scared away the shy farm boy.

But perhaps there was something to Lana’s opinion. Out of all of them, she’d known Clark the longest. “If Clark was depressed, any idea why?” Again Chloe shook her head.

“Hi Lex,” startled Lex looked up to see Lana standing over him with a cup in her hand. “I took for granted that you wanted your usual. Haven’t seen you for awhile, is everything okay?”

It was a mark of how deeply Lex had been thinking that Lana had managed to catch him off guard. He took the cup gratefully, perhaps a stimulant was just the ticket to get his brain going and his guard back up. “Do you have a minute to join us?”

“Sure, let me just tell one of the other girls. I could use a few minutes off my feet,” she gave them both a smile and wandered off into the crowd only to return a few minutes later. Lex spent the time in between sipping his coffee using it as an excuse not to keep up the conversation on his end. There was something he was missing. But what?

Lana sat down with a cup of her own and sipped at it before asking. “You look like you are pondering the meaning of the universe, are you okay?”

“He’s trying to figure out what’s up with Clark.” Chloe put in.

The smile fell off Lana’s face. “Oh.”

“Miss Sullivan tells me you think he’s depressed. May I ask why you think that?” Lex asked trying to hide his anxiety.

“Well I didn’t really think about it until my Aunt Nell said something about Mr. and Mrs. Kent. She thought that maybe they were having problems. Mr. Kent always buys his wife tulips once a month like clockwork. But he hasn’t for some time and she thought…well, you know.” She bit her lower lip and looked very upset.

Lex fought back the urge to sigh. “No, I don’t know. Would you mind extrapolating on that last comment?”

Lana leaned forward and looked both ways before whispering. “Marriage troubles.”

Lex blinked. “The Kents?” he asked in disbelief. He’d never seen a pair more in love in his life. The couple had single handedly restored his faith that love existed in the world and that two people could be happy.

“Hey!” Pete appeared out of the crowd and sat down next to Chloe with a smile. “Hey Lana, Chloe…. Mr. Luthor. So what are we all talking about?”
“What’s up with Clark,” Chloe informed him. Lana nodded and Lex looked at him curiously waiting to hear Pete’s side of things.

“Farm boy has turned into a snob that’s all it is man.” His face went tight into a grimace and took a drink of his coffee. Lex waited. Pete was one to talk if you just gave him enough room. “You know I went over to his house and he wouldn’t even see me. His parents gave me some lame excuse that he wasn’t around. But you can’t fool me. He’s been snubbing everyone, won’t even talk to the guys in the locker room after gym class.”

“I just can’t picture Clark as a snob Pete,” Chloe put in hesitantly. Lex soon understood why.

“Well, he must have learned it from someone man,” Pete looked at Lex pointedly. It was pretty clear that Pete believed Lex had turned Clark Kent into a snob.

“I still think he’s sad. Can you imagine what Clark must be going through if his parents get divorced? Who would he go with? “Lana’s voice dripped with sympathy.

Feeling a bit uncomfortable with Pete continuing to glare at him Lex decided it was time to go. “Well, I better get going. I hope to see you all again soon.” He inclined his head a bit as he stood then made for the door without looking back.

Lex started to head out of town when a very familiar car at the Smallville Used Car Lot caught his eye. He slowed down then pulled into the snow dusted lot. A salesman practically ran out to greet him. “Mr. Luthor! I never thought I’d see you on my lot. What can I do for you?”

“Yes, actually, I’d like to find out more about this car,” he walked over to the very familiar 4-door sedan. “Can you tell me how many previous owners its had?”

“Oh that car’s a real gem Mr. Luthor. It’s only had two owners. The last owner was Mrs. Kent. She took good care of it too.” The salesman smiled brightly at Lex.

“And can you tell me why she sold it?” Lex asked in what he hoped was a friendly tone.

“Oh nothing to do with the car I can tell you. But otherwise I’m sorry I can’t tell you. That’s confidential information.” The salesman looked very proud of himself as if he was talking about doctor-patient confidentiality or some such.

Feeling he might get some better results by oiling the wheel, Lex pulled out his wallet and held out a hundred dollar bill. “Are you sure you can’t tell me the real reason?”

The salesman looked around and grabbed the money so fast Lex had the urge to count all his fingers and make sure they were still there. “She had to sell it for the money. All the farmers had a real bad year. But the Kent’s have always been on a tightrope. Their farm has a lot of low spots and the word is they didn’t bring much to market at all this year.”

Lex nodded, handed the man another hundred and got into his car pulling out of the lot leaving behind a flurry of snow. His next stop was the bank. With another greasing of a palm, he found out the farm was facing foreclosure.

Taking the bank manager in the back, Lex paid off the mortgage and told the man exactly what letter he wanted sent out to the Kent farm. After that stop he made a few more stops before heading home. When he was all done he pulled into the farm’s drive making sure to park right in front of the barn blocking the main entrance. Clark was not going to get away from him this time.

He got out of the car and ran to the other side to block Clark from that one too. Clark practically knocked him over in an effort to get out. “Lex.”

“Clark we need to talk.” Lex said in a tone he reserved for his father and his board of directors.

“I…I need to go fix the fence Lex.”

“It can wait. I know about the money problems. Why didn’t you tell me?” Lex asked in a pained voice.

Clark turned away, his face flaming with shame. His voice caught as he said. “I couldn’t.”

“Did you parents tell you that you couldn’t tell anyone?” Lex asked stepping closer.

“No, I just… I just couldn’t.” There was a pain in Clark’s voice like nothing Lex had ever heard.

“I thought we were friends.”

“We are Lex, it’s just…” Clark’s voice snapped and he turned around suddenly. “YOU DON’T GET IT. NO ONE DOES. I HATE THIS. IT SUCKS!”

“What don’t I get Clark?” Lex asked softly, hoping it would calm Clark down.

“Being poor,” Clark looked down at the floor. “No one could ever understand it. I know it’s not right to be envious of others. But I can’t help it. Everyone has new things and money to go places and do things. Hell, do you think I WANT to wear plaid all the time? Do you know how much I worry that someone will notice that what I’m wearing is what they threw out for the thrift store collection bin?” Clark’s whole body was trembling. “I can’t even… even…”

“Clark,” Lex pulled the shaking teen into his arms. “It’s okay you can tell me.”

“I can’t get anyone presents for Christmas.” Clark’s breath became ragged. Before he pulled away with a jerk and turned to wipe his face. “There you know now. I don’t want your pity Lex. And I sure as hell don’t want any handouts. Just…please go.”

Lex gulped. He didn’t know what to say. Clark was right. He didn’t know what it was like. How could he? “Okay Clark. I’ll go but please don’t feel you have to get me anything. Just don’t cut me out of your life.”

With a sigh, Lex left the barn and began to pull away only to find the driveway blocked by Jonathan Kent. He stopped the car and the man came around to his side window. “Can you see why I told you to stay away from him Lex? We’re not your sort of people. You can’t understand him and you never will. Just stay away from him. You’ve hurt him enough.”

Lex didn’t get a chance to say anything to that before Jonathan strode away angrily. Very slowly Lex drove away feeling more like an outsider in Smallville than ever before. Part of him wanted nothing more than to go home and tie one on. But another larger part knew he needed reinforcements. He drove back to town instead.


“Clark, Mr. Edwards is here to see you!” Jonathan called out from the house. “Come inside!”

Wondering why on earth the neighbor wanted to see him, Clark entered the house with a feeling of dread. Had the man seen his powers? Maybe he’d been careless.

Mr. Edwards was a tall man and as he stood to shake Clark’s hand, Clark was surprised to see he was only an inch or so taller than him. His once very dark skin was paling with patches of pink and white. The thinning hair on his head was pearly white. But his smile was contagious. “Good to see you Clark. It’s been a long time.”

Clark nodded. “Yes, sir. Five years at least.”

Mr. Edwards grinned. “That’s right it was before you went into high school. What grade are you in now?”

“Senior sir. It’s my last year.” They both sat down. Clark looked at his mother who was pushing a hot cup of cocoa into his hands. He realized she was smiling brightly for the first time in months. What was going on? Looking over to his father he could see him smiling too. Clark frowned and turned back to Mr. Edwards. “What brings you around?”

“Well Clark, I’m not getting any younger. And I’m sure that you recall I never had children of my own. I’d like to retire. I’m getting too old for farming. What I was hoping was that you could help out with the managing of the farm and crew. Especially during the winter, I have a sister in the city that’s quite a few years younger than me and I was thinking of going to live with her.” Mr. Edwards smiled at Clark brightly. After all he could afford to with the sizeable check Lex Luthor had written for him this afternoon. “Then I could leave it to you to do with what you will. I want it to stay farm land.”

Clark felt his mouth drop open and looked at his parents and back at Mr. Edwards. “But…but…”

Mr. Edwards laughed. “The farm turns a pretty profit. I’ve got a contract with the local dairy. I was thinking about cutting you in for half since you’d be doing all the work managing the crew I’ve got now. I’ve got a good sized nest egg saved up and once you take over the farm I’ll only ask for a quarter of the profits. Maybe you could even merge the two properties together in time and keep the house for yourself. The crew all has homes of their own. What do you say?”

“Uh, uh I, uh…” Clark couldn’t think of what to say. It wasn’t like he’d planned on being a farmer all his life. But maybe it wouldn’t be so bad. And the money! If it worked out he could always hire hands and go to college. “Dad?” Clark looked desperately at his father to tell him what to do.

Jonathan laughed. “I think you really threw him there Ted. I’ve never seen Clark speechless before.”

Martha chuckled. “Why don’t we talk about it over dinner?”

Mr. Edwards rose. “No, I can’t really stay. I need to get home and take my medicine on time. Think about it Clark and get back to me. I can have my lawyer draw the papers all up and we could sign it.”

“Err, thanks I’ll um, think about it.” Clark managed to get out, shaking Mr. Edward’s hand.

Jonathan slapped Mr. Edwards on the back and walked him out. Clark sat rooted to the spot in shock. As soon as Mr. Edwards left his mom and dad ran together and his dad swung her around. They laughed happily before coming to join him.

“Clark I’m so proud of you son. Mr. Edwards was telling us how impressed he was with all the work you do around here and felt you were the perfect man for the job. And he’s always talked about wanting this land for his cows. He always said those low spots should just be made into a big watering hole.”

At the same time his mother began to talk excitedly. “He said you could start right away and he’d even give you a bonus if you started before Christmas. Clark this is perfect for you! This is a job you really know and no one could ever let you go for rescuing someone because you could make your own hours with a crew! And you’d still be close enough to help out your dad until this becomes all grazing land!”

Clark nodded distractedly still in shock.
“Jonathan!” Martha cried from the doorway excitedly running toward the breakfast table where they were both still eating before chores and going to talk to Mr. Edwards to accept his offer.

“What is it honey?”

“It’s a letter from the bank!” They both paled. Had their salvation come too late?

Seeing their faces she waved her hands. “Oh no! It’s good news!”

“Good news?” Jonathan asked. “We never get good news from them.”

“No really listen to this.”

Dear Loyal Customer,

At this difficult time of year we understand that what our customers need most is for the true caring spirit of Christmas to abound. In the nature of the season, and in thanks of years of service Smallville Savings and Loan is offering its most loyal customers a special offer for the season.

Make no payments for the next two months and resume your regular mortgage payment in February, with no penalties, late fees or additional interest tacked on. If you wish to participate in this special seasonal offer please call the bank’s main office.

Sincerely,
Bill Wilson
Bank President

For a moment, there was dead silence in the room. Utter disbelief blanketing them all and making them mute. Then Jonathan Kent ran across the room, grabbing the letter on the way to pick up the phone. “Where’s that damn number?”

Clark watched his mother run to his side to point it out as he sat stunned. He barely heard his father talking on the phone. Then he closed his eyes offering up a silent prayer of thanks.

The sound of beeping drew him from his prayers and he went to go see who it was. He walked outside surprised to see the delivery van in the driveway. “Hey Clark just the man I wanted to see.”

Clark smiled to see the man who’d graduated from school only a year ago. “Hi Steve. Long time no see.”

“Yeah, wife and kid keeping me busy. So does this job. Look I’ve got a lot to deliver so if you could just sign right here?” He shoved a paper under Clark’s nose with a pen while he climbed in the back of the van.

“Uh okay. Any idea what it is?” Clark asked curiously. His x-ray vision couldn’t see through the walls of the truck.

“Nope. It’s that time of year buddy. I could be anything.” With a nod Clark exchanged the clipboard for a very large box that had his name on it. “See you around!”

“Sure Steve, say ‘hi’ to Jenny for me!” Steve waved goodbye as he slid back behind the steering wheel and pulled away. Clark brought the box inside.

“What’s that Clark?” His mother asked as soon as he entered.

“I don’t know.” Clark stretched his head to read the return address as he set it down on the table. His father, he noticed, was still on the phone but eyeing the box curiously.

“It’s from the Thrift Shop in town,” Martha announced peering at the label. “Oh and there’s a letter.” Grabbing a kitchen knife she opened up the plastic on top of the box and pulled out the card while Clark used the knife to open the box.

“What’s it say mom?” Clark asked as he worked on the overly taped parcel.

“Apparently the work clothes I bought while working for Lionel and dropped off for commission sale finally sold. It says they got a really good price for them just before a practically new load of clothes was dropped off in your size. Since they church that sponsors them won’t allow for checks over $100 to be written out they gave us the clothes in trade and a check for $99. They sold my entire work wardrobe!” Martha was yelling by the end. “Open it Clark!”

“I am,” Clark sighed feeling a bit let down. Just what he needed more second-hand clothes. He wondered darkly who in the school had donated them when he pulled out the first item and gasped. “Holy shit mom!”

“CLARK!” His parents both yelled at the same time.

Apparently his father was done with the call. He was walking over to the table. “What ‘cha got there son?” Clark let his mom fill his dad in while he pulled out item after item of what looked like brand new department store clothing and top of the line too. It was the exact same styles everyone in school was wearing too! “These look barely worn!”

“Well they got washed at least once or twice,” Martha looked at them with a critical eye. “They must have gotten a load in from the city.” She smiled at Clark. “Why don’t you go put one of these on, take the check into town and deposit it? You could go spend some time with your friends at the Talon afterwards. Maybe start your shopping?”

Clark nodded happily. Jonathan laughed watching Clark run up the stairs. “I’ll go nip off and let Ted know that Clark can start Monday. Maybe he’ll be willing to part with that bonus. Can’t hurt to ask while we’re on a roll!”


Less than an hour later a bouncy Clark Kent entered the Talon, his hands filled with shopping bags and a huge smile on his face.

“Clark!” Lana called out as soon as she saw him.

Chloe turned in her seat. “Clark?”

“Decided to go slumming?” Pete mumbled under his breath. Chloe slapped him in the head, which earned her a dirty look.

“Hello Clark,” Lex walked in behind him. “It’s good to see you out and about.”

Clark turned, put down his bags and gave Lex a big bear hug. Before pulling away with a grin. “Thank you.”

“For what?”

“I can’t prove that you had something to do with everything that happened but I know it was you Lex.” Clark winked.

Lex frowned. “I have no idea what you are talking about.”

“Yeah right. Come on let’s sit down.” Clark picked his bags back up and headed toward the table, sitting down across from Chloe and Pete. Lex sat on his other side and Lana soon appeared at their table with their usual orders. She sat down next to Pete.

“I want to apologize to everyone,” Clark began. “I kind of went hermit on everyone because things were so bad at the farm.” His eyes met Lex. “But I think an angel listened to our prayers. Everything is a lot better now. I’ll fill you in later. For now I wanted to give you your presents.”

Chloe squealed. Lana grinned and Pete shrugged. Lex hid a smile behind a fake cough. Clark winked at him. Chloe got a pair of earrings, Lana a necklace and Pete a new watch. As his friends eventually became engrossed in conversation, Clark made an excuse to speak to Lex in the back office, bringing one package with him.

Lex closed the door behind them as they entered. “What’s this all about Clark? I told you that you didn’t have to get me anything.”

Clark blushed. “I sort of did and didn’t. Here.” He handed Lex the last package and watched as he unwrapped it slowly. In a moment, silver snowflake paper fell to the floor.

“It’s beautiful.” Lex rotated the teakwood box in his hands. “Thank you Clark.”

“Open it,” Clark said in a strange voice. Lex looked at him oddly as he opened it to reveal a small piece of paper with one word on it.

Hope

“Clark?”

“Remember telling me the story of Pandora’s Box? The thing that remained in the box was Hope. It’s what you gave to me and my family Lex. We’d completely given up and lost hope and you gave it back to me.” Clark took the box from Lex’s hands and pulled him into another bear hug.

He held on a long time, perhaps too long. Clark realized his heart was beating faster and he was lost in the scent of Lex’s spicy cologne. He froze as he felt something press into his thigh. Lex was hard! For him!

Clark was shocked to feel his own body happily rise to life, pressing his own cock into Lex’s leg. He pulled away with a jerk. Blushing fiercely he looked down at the ground and searched his mind for what to say.

“I think you’ve got it all wrong Clark. You gave me hope. Just now.” Lex lifted Clark’s chin up with a finger so their eyes would meet. “I’d lost hope when it came to having a chance with you.”

“A chance? With me? Lex? What do you mean?” Clark asked rapidly, trying to catch his breath as Lex stroked his cheek.

In answer he closed the distance between them and kissed Clark briefly on the lips. It only took Clark’s body a moment to respond, pulling Lex hard against him and kissing him back. Lex growled low in his throat as Clark’s tongue slid over his own. Large farm roughed hands were suddenly slipping over his back and down to his ass pressing their erections against each other. Feeling things starting to pull wildly out of control, Lex pulled back reluctantly.

Clark was smiling brightly with dawning comprehension. “Oh, hope.”

“Yes Clark hope.” Lex smiled back with amusement. “Even when things are at their worst don’t forget hope.”

Clark smiled and pulled Lex into one more hug before Lex asked him out. The answer was a resounding ‘yes’. And as they kissed once more Clark was suddenly very happy at the thought of soon having his own house.

The End

This story archived at http://www.squidge.org/keikokin/viewstory.php?sid=849.