Bittersweet Reunion by Keikokin (G)
Lex needs to patch up things with Hoshi. How far will an old friend go?

Categories: Clark/Lex
Characters:
Genres: First Time
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1
Word count: 2139 - Hits: 2619
Complete?: Yes - Published: 17/09/06 - Last Updated: 17/09/06

1. one shot by Keikokin



one shot by Keikokin
Plot bunny credit goes to Kaear
Beta: svmaria
Pairing: Clex, BW/HT
This is a sequel to Bittersweet Surrender by tearful request.
Disclaimer: Smallville, Superman and Batman are a trademark of WB/CW and DC comics respectively. No maliciousness intended. Hoshi Tanaka is mine. ALL MINE.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lex sighed, putting down his tumbler of scotch and began to pace. "I feel really bad about Hoshi. Bruce is there anything that you can do?"

Bruce Wayne's voice came over the intercom phone, "I'm not in the habit of cleaning up your messes Lex. Have you tried to call him?"

"He's avoiding my calls and I can't say that I really don't blame him. After all, I hurt him pretty badly." Lex admitted ruefully.

"I hope that he's worth it." Bruce sighed.

"Yes, Clark is. I hope to bring him out to see you. That is, if Alfred can put up with us. Besides you two have something in common that I think you should discuss face-to-face." Lex was trying to hint, but was always concerned about security. Clark had told him his secret at long last and it made Lex more paranoid then in his high-as-a-kite drug days of his misguided youth. But Bruce's secret wasn't his to give out either.

"You have my interest piqued Lex. Try to bring him out soon. I'll talk to Alfred and see about reaching Hoshi. I haven't seen him since my days of training and we were both different men in those days."

"If someone heard you talking Bruce, they'd swear you're much older than you are."

"Life," Bruce stated coolly. It was true Bruce had been through an incredible amount for someone so young.

"Hmm," Lex understood. Although there were many days he wished he'd never had the influence of Lionel Luthor in his life. But what would it have been like to grow up an orphan, having seen your parents murdered in front of your eyes?

"Tell your wonderful father I said 'hello'." It was a running joke of sorts between them. As if Lionel was wonderful, because he was not. Nor would Bruce ever acknowledge him unless forced. But the best thing is anytime that Lex felt in the mood to carry the message along, it usually shut Lionel up by reminding him that Lex had his own weight and connections to throw around.

"I might just do that." Lex chuckled and the conversation ended. He redialed and called the Kent Farms.

"Hello?" came the answer.

"Clark." Lex couldn’t help but smile. It was nice to actually reach Clark on the phone. He'd been so busy since his graduation. There was a lot of work to be done on the farm to try to get it far enough ahead that Clark's absence wouldn't be felt too keenly.

Luckily, Jonathan had accepted the idea of a cooperative extension with the local high school. It would provide extra farmhands on the weekends to help out and in turn the students would earn extra credit while learning. In the process the Kent farm might get modernized as well. It was a win-win situation.

"Work keeping you busy?" Clark asked. Lex almost laughed thinking of how much Clark had been doing on the farm.

"Not as much as you. I did get a hold of an old friend that I'd like you to meet. He'll check on Hoshi for me too. They actually knew each other before I knew either of them." Lex informed hi.

"Is it too much to hope that they might hook up?" Clark asked.

Lex pondered the idea. It had merit. "I'll keep my fingers crossed. Bruce could use someone in his life. It's a good idea. Do you think I can whisk you away a few days before you start college to have you meet Bruce? We'd stay at his home in Gotham."

"I'll have to talk to my parents and let you know. Can I meet you at the Talon later?" Clark asked hopefully.

"Sure. My laptop and I need a change of scenery. I'll see you there in about two hours?" Lex was already reaching for said laptop. He really did need to get out of the castle.

"Sounds good," Clark agreed and they ended the call.

"I hope that was the Kent boy you were talking to and not that Japanese fellow," Lionel walked into room, ruining Lex's thoughts of an easy get-away.

"Hi Dad, what brings you to town?" Lex sighed and sat back.

"Lex my boy, you know I have to keep an eye on the running of things." Lex wasn't amused. "So how is Clark?"

"He's fine and getting ready to leave for college." Lex admitted in measured tones.

Lionel nodded. "Well done Lex, stay with him. He's going to go far. Clark has a destiny written in the stars."

Lex almost rolled his eyes. Lionel always had to beat around the bush about everything, even Clark's origins. "Well he does want to be an astronomer."

"Next best thing to being there I suppose," Lionel smirked. "But I am also concerned about our overseas relations with Tanaka enterprises. You have made some sort of leeway in patching things up at least in regards to business relations?"

"Actually, I just spoke to Bruce." Lionel cringed and Lex inwardly cheered. "He says 'hello' by the way. I've asked him to help smooth things over."

"Fine," Lionel snapped sounding irritated. "Well, I'm heading back to the city."

Lex nodded and watched him go before he allowed his smile to come out. These little verbal sword plays with Lionel had definitely gotten easier; mainly thanks to Lionel's approval of Clark being brought onto what Lionel called 'their team'. Lex had to remember to tell Clark how much he loved him.

Clark arrived at the Talon an hour after Lex did. Spotting him immediately, Lex watched in amusement as he scanned the coffee shop looking for him. He smiled brightly and headed straight for his table. Lex couldn't help being warmed by the obvious happiness in Clark's grin.

Looking about, he poured on some speed and Lex felt a quick kiss pressed to his lips before Clark sat down, looking smug about getting away with it…again.

"You're getting good at that," Lex knew it was worthless to scold Clark. He was going to do what he wanted anyway.

"Thanks. Oh and my parents said I could go," he smiled even more.

"Good!" Lex picked up his phone and left a message with Alfred. After he got off the phone Clark looked at him oddly.

"He has a butler? Do you know anyone who isn't rich?" Clark asked incredulously.

Lex shrugged. "Unless it’s a society function I don't get out much to make other friends. Besides you, Chloe and Lana aren't rich, but I'd be lost without any of you." It was apparently a good answer as Clark gave him another speed kiss.

"So do I need to pack my Sunday formal clothes? Or can I go casual?" Clark asked.

"Be yourself, but leave the flannel at home, okay?" Lex asked hopefully. He didn't want to get a lot of ribbing from Bruce about wide-eyed innocent farm boys as a kink, despite Clark fitting the bill to perfection.


The rest of the summer flew by and soon Clark and Lex were pulling in front of the Wayne Manor. Clark sat very still staring at the huge demesne. Lex reached out to hold his hand. "You okay?"

"It's kind of creepy," Clark admitted. "It's like something out of a nightmare."

"It suits him," Lex shrugged. "But I'll be there to protect you."

"Don't leave me alone," Clark said in a small voice. Lex blinked. He couldn’t recall ever seeing Clark scared like this before.

"I won't," Lex said reassuringly, while making a mental note to cut back on the amount of horror movies they watched. It was definitely time to go back to action and adventure, if it was having this affect. Thank goodness Clark wasn't going to Gotham College.

Clark followed Lex nervously out of the car and up to the front door. When it opened before they even knocked. Clark jumped and hid behind Lex. Alfred opened the door slowly and smiled at Lex. "Master Alexander, it pleases me to see you once more."

Lex winced at the subtle dig that he hadn't been around to visit. Alfred might be getting up there in years, but he hadn't lost his touch for guilt trips. "It's good to see you too Alfred," Lex stepped inside pulling Clark by the hand. "This is Clark Kent. Clark this is Alfred Pennyworth."

"N-nice to meet you," Clark put out his hand to shake but looked terrified. Lex slipped an arm around Clark's waist. Clark immediately curled into it, looking around the foyer with wide, frightened eyes. Oh yes, the horror collection was getting put under lock and key. Hmm, kryptonite lock and key!

Alfred gave a slight bow, "Master Bruce is waiting for you in the study with another guest." Clark finally sighed with some tension bleeding away as Lex gave him a few kisses on the way, behind Alfred's back. Giving Clark one last reassuring hug around the waist he pulled back to enter the room.

"Master Bruce your other company has arrived." Alfred smiled at them both and seemed to vanish into the shadows, making Clark jumpy all over again. Lex pulled Bruce into a hug before retreating back a step to make introductions between Clark and Bruce. He shook his head internally as he watched Bruce size up Clark before he shook his hand with a small smile.

There was someone sitting close to the fire, with their back to them and Lex whispered with an incline of his head, "Who's your company?"

This time Bruce beamed and walked over to the chair. Lex froze in shock. In all the years he'd known Bruce he'd never given more than the tight polite smile Clark was treated to. What was going on?

Clark noticed his change in demeanor and switched into protector mode, slipping an arm around Lex's waist. If nothing else, it seemed to have calmed his overactive imagination.

The man in the winged chair stood to face them after kissing Bruce soundly. Lex was grateful for Clark's arm about his waist. "Hello Lex."

"H-Hoshi," Lex gasped. A pain ripped through him at seeing his former lover. Feelings washed over him in a jumble of confusion. It was bittersweet to see him again.

Bruce smirked. "When I went to Japan on business we happened to spend some time together and one thing led to another."

Clark was blinking, speechless for a moment before breaking into a blinding smile. "Congratulations, I'm very happy for you both."

Lex nodded numbly. "Well," Bruce walked over to Clark. "I understand we have something in common to discuss and I for one can hardly wait to find out what it is." He took Clark by the arm and led him out leaving Lex and Hoshi staring at each other.

Hoshi was smiling and Lex was just …dazed. He walked over to the bar and made himself a drink before turning back to Hoshi. "Clark was hoping this might happen, but I must admit I'm a bit stunned."

"Bruce has been very kind to me," Hoshi sat down in a chair facing Lex. "I had hoped you'd be pleased."

"Are you happy? I know that things, well, didn't end the way …"

Hoshi held up a hand. "You and Clark are clearly meant to be together. Bruce and I have been together only a short time, but I can already tell that there is no one else in his life to compete with for his affections. There are no secrets between us. He is most…"

"Focused and intense?" Lex smiled. He would imagine that Hoshi would thrive under those conditions. And if Bruce told him everything, he must be serious about Hoshi. "Yes, he is. I think it’s a good match and I am happy for you."

Hoshi smiled fully at last, the small lines of concern that were previously there vanished. Lex smiled back feeling infinitely better. He just wondered how Bruce and Clark were –

"OH WOW THERE'S THE BATMOBILE!" Clark yelled super-loudly from down below their feet.

They both began to laugh.


The end.

This story archived at http://www.squidge.org/keikokin/viewstory.php?sid=826.