Objective View by Keikokin (PG-13)
Lex is getting married again. And once again he's asked Clark to be his best man. But Clark isn't taking it the way Lex thought he would.

Categories: Clark/Lex
Characters:
Genres: First Time
Warnings: Fluff
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1
Word count: 2873 - Hits: 2348
Complete?: Yes - Published: 01/08/06 - Last Updated: 01/08/06

1. one shot by Keikokin



one shot by Keikokin
Author's Note: based loosely on a challenge from Beloved. Lacey Blaine is my own character.
Beta: svmaria

Lacey Blaine had been a breath of fresh air from Lex's previous girlfriends. Like Clark, she was country born and bred. She was pretty in her own way, with flowing brown hair and brown eyes, but in that way she was also unlike the usual metropolis socialites Lex dated. Her parents had invested a small amount of money they'd made over the years on some companies in the technical sector that paid off big. They rolled over some of that money into LexCorp, so they'd met during an investors meeting in which Lex had come to personally thank everyone.

The two became friends and Lex decided he might as well pop the question. Laney was confused, since they didn't have a romantic relationship. But when her parents found out, they insisted she accept. In a way, Lex felt sorry for her, almost as much as himself. But at least Lacey could have lovers once they married. That is, if her wholesome upbringing didn't prevent her from doing so.

Lex hoped that asking Clark to be his best man would be an act of good faith on his part. Perhaps it would also show that he always pictured Clark as a part of his life. Granted, it wasn't exactly the position he'd hoped Clark would fill. Above him or below him would be better. But Clark was straight.

He suspected his blatant inability to keep his flirtations contained around Clark had only added to the distance Clark kept between them. Lex had thought, when Clark's father died, that Clark would come to him for support. But instead, they drew farther apart. Yet, Lex's feelings had not.

But if he could not have his heart's desire; there was no reason to be lonely forever. At least, if he married again, he could have a companion. There might even be a little heir to make the Lionel's spirit happy, since he'd died this past year.

He'd simply look the other way when they eventually took lovers, once they discovered the truth. And the truth that Lex had been unable to deny since Clark saved his life, was that he'd fallen for his angel of mercy. It was a fact of life.

Now, however, Lex was confused. He'd invited Clark to coffee at the Talon as planned. Clark had seemed happy to hear from him and quickly accepted. Lex was glad of his reaction too, because things had been strained between them, to say the least. But it was to be expected since he had dated Lana after Clark. The strain was a bit much on what little was left of their relationship.

But Clark had gone positively rigid when Lex asked him to be his best man. Right up to that, they seemed to be getting along so well. Lex was at a loss as to what he'd done wrong. He'd asked Clark about his job at the Daily Planet, and how his visit with his mother was and Clark had seemed almost normal. Lex was quickly reminded of why he'd fallen in love with the gentle, handsome, young man in the first place.

After Lex had asked about being his best man, a wall seemed to be between them and the tension was palatable. Lex asked several times if Clark was sure he wanted to be his best man, but if anything, Clark only became more confusing. At one point Clark looked almost sad.

"Lex? Are you okay? You seem a million miles away." Lacey sat down across from him and Lex blinked in surprise.

"Oh, I'm sorry, if I had seen you –" Lacey waved a hand dismissively.

"Don’t worry about it. Was that Clark I just saw run out of here?" She looked concerned. "He looked ready to cry."

Lex frowned, turning in his seat to look toward the door. Lacey tilted her head. "You seem upset yourself."

"Do I?" Lex didn't even turn to face her.

"Well, I think things make more sense now," Lacey nodded to herself.

Lex turned back toward her. "What do you mean?"

"Do you even want to know how I knew that was Clark Kent?" Lacey smiled. "You talk about Clark all the time. I bet you don't even realize it."

Lex was about to deny it when Lana laughed from over his shoulder. "If you think he's bad, you should hear Clark!"

Lacey laughed and Lana beamed at her. "Who's your new friend, Lex? I like her already."

Before Lex could reply, Lacey stretched out her hand. "Hi, I'm Lacey Blaine. Are you Lana?"

"Yes, I am," she blushed. "So, tell me, how much does Lex moon over Clark these days?"

Lacey laughed, "All the time!"

"Ladies, excuse me, but I do not 'moon' over anyone!" Lex groused.

"Yes, you have, actually, since day one of meeting Clark. Now that I can look back on it objectively, it's kind of cute." Lana teased Lex. "Although, at first, I felt rather dense for not noticing it sooner… I mean, the way Clark goes on and on about you!"

"What?" Lex felt himself start to smile. "I thought he was mad at me."

Lana frowned. "Well, he was pretty hurt when you never came to visit him at college."

"I didn't know he wanted me to!" Lex was stunned. "He never gave me the slightest indication he wanted to stay friends. When I asked him to be my best man, it was in hopes that he would see –"

"Oh Lex, you didn't," Lana pouted and sat back. "Why do you keep hurting him like that?"

"Men," Lacey sighed and looked at Lana. "Do you know my parents are forcing us to get married?"

"Married? But you two don't seem to be … oh, I'm sorry, it's none of my business –" Lana looked embarrassed.

Lacey shook her head dismissively and placed a hand over Lex's arm. "We're friends, right Lex?"

"Yes, always Lacey. I had hoped you realized that. I’m sorry that you feel forced into this. That was not my intention when I asked you to marry me." Lex said seriously, placing a hand over Lacey's.

"Lex, you are just as brilliant as you are dense. Clark loves you. Don't you get it? That's why he was so upset when I saw him. And you love him and can't stop talking about him. Don't you think its time that you told Clark that?"

"She's right, Lex. If there's one thing I learned, you could grow mold waiting for Clark Kent to make the first move." Lana chuckled. "Okay, two, you don't make a very convincing straight man while talking about Clark."

A warm feeling flooded Lex. "What if you're wrong?"

"Then we'll go ahead and get married. But what if I'm right?" Lacey asked. "Can you forgive yourself for not trying?"

"Has Clark ever been happy when you ask him to be your best man?" Lana asked pointedly.

Lex grinned. "Now that you mention it, no, he hasn't."

"Well then Lana, what say, you and I find a way to get Mr. Clark Kent to realize what a good man he's passing up?" Lacey grinned conspiratorially at the Talon co-owner. Lana laughed and shook her hand.

Lex smiled. "I have a feeling Clark doesn't stand a chance."


"Honey, Lana called," Martha called out from the kitchen as she spotted him entering from working in the back forty.

Clark smiled and made a beeline for the phone. He'd been home only two days since his week long vacation from the Daily Planet had begun, but he had sorely missed his friends. Even though he'd just been at the Talon, he'd been too hurt and stunned by Lex's announcement and request to visit.

"Clark, I was starting to think you were avoiding me." A tone of mild amusement was in Lana's voice.

"Never," Clark beamed. At least Lana was in a good mood.

"Great, mind if I come over?" Lana asked. "I could bring some coffee. I noticed you left before even having any."

"Sure Lana, that sounds great. See you in a bit." Clark hung up the phone and stared at it a moment.

Martha crossed her arms over her chest. "Why did you tell Lana it was okay to come over when you aren't feeling up to it, Clark?"

Clark shrugged, turning to face his mother. "I guess I need the distraction."

Frowning, Martha pulled up a chair and indicated Clark do the same. "I know you don't want me butting in, Clark. And I know that your father wouldn't have approved, but he did like Lex. You should speak with him, honey and tell him you don't want to be his best man and then tell him honestly why."

"I already said 'yes' mom," Clark sighed. "It's bad enough to deal with this yet again; I don't want Lex mad at me, too. We barely talk as it is."

"I think I should call Lex and tell him that you can't do it." Martha added pursing her lips, in a thoughtful look. "I'm sure he'll be reasonable about it." But even as she said it, Clark was already shaking his head.

Clark soon became silent thinking over the day's events. "I'll be up in the loft." Martha nodded and watched him go.

Lana pulled up a few minutes later, "Hi, Mrs. Kent."

"Hello, Lana dear. Can I get you anything?" Martha called out from the rocker she was sitting in on the porch.

Lana smiled and holding two cups of coffee jogged over to her. "Is Clark still moping?"

Martha blinked. "Um, I'm not sure I know what –"

"It's okay. Lacey and I are going to help get Lex and Clark together. Is that okay with you?" Lana looked at Mrs. Kent nervously, knowing she'd either be a great help or put the kibosh on their plans quickly.

Despite wondering who Lacey was, Mrs. Kent nodded her head happily, grateful Lana and Clark had managed to overcome their past relationships to be friends. Lana smiled. "Oh good, is he in the barn?"

"Yes, he is with his mile long sad face on, complete with puppy dog eyes." Martha whispered.

Lana winked. "Thanks for the warning." She headed into the barn fully prepared for what she'd find. Sure enough, Clark was pinning away on the couch, his face in his palms and his elbows resting on his knees, "Hi Clark."

Clark looked up and Lana was surprised to see the red rings around his eyes. "Hi Lana, How are you?"

"Oh, I'm okay, just really worried about a friend of mine and I was hoping you could help me?" Lana smiled handing over a cup of coffee for Clark.

Clark carefully took off the lid and took a deep swallow. "Sure, what's the problem?"

"Well, my friend is in love with someone who loves them back, but they won't talk about it. So everyone else knows, but the two of them. I don't know how to get the two of them to talk." Lana shrugged.

Clark scratched his head. "I suppose you could do an intervention and just tell them what the problem is and lock them in a room together. I wish I could be that lucky."

Lana smiled smugly. "Just because it didn't work out between the two of us Clark, doesn't mean that there isn't someone out there for you. But I think you're going to have to tell them your secrets if you really want it to work. If you don't, it will come between you like it did with us, that's why I turned to Lex… because it was driving him crazy too." Lana looked at Clark carefully over her own coffee cup. She looked down at her watch. "Well, I have to go. It's been nice to see you again."

"Oh, thanks for the coffee, Lana and the advice. I hope everything works out for your friends. They really are lucky." Clark bit his bottom lip.

"As long as they don't let secrets get in their way, they should be fine. Bye!" Clark watched her go and eventually went back to the house. His mother was waiting for him.

"How did the visit with Lana go?" Martha asked hopefully.

"Okay, I suppose. She needed some advice about friends of hers." Clark shrugged. "Is there anything else that needs to be done around here?"

"Honey, you're home every weekend." Martha rolled her eyes. "Not that anyone else knows that. OH, while the two of you were talking, a Lacey Blaine called for you. She wants to meet you at the castle to talk to you about wedding plans."

Clark's shoulders sank. "Oh great, that must be Lex's new bride-to-be."

"She seemed very nice, Clark. I’m sure she'd understand if you told her how you felt about Lex and bowed out of the wedding party." Martha looked at the clock. "You better get going if you're going to meet with her."

"Okay, I'll take the truck," Clark grabbed the keys, kissed her goodbye on the cheek and left looking as if he was off to face his own execution.


Clark was surprised when Lana opened up the door to the castle. "Oh hi Clark, we're just going to have a little rehearsal so that there are no mistakes." Nodding, Clark followed Lana into the ballroom. Lex was standing at one end looking nervous. Clark walked up to take his place along his side. Lana stood at the other side of the bride-to-be, who looked like she could pass for his sister. It was odd. Clark had been expecting a socialite, not this woman in a ponytail, jeans and a tee-shirt. Introductions were made and Clark pasted on a smile.

"I just want to run through this one more time," Laney explained. "Let's take this from the vows."

Lex nodded. "I, Lex Luthor, take you Clark Kent to be my…"

"You did it again," Lacey sighed.

"Again?" Clark squeaked.

Lacey laughed. "I think you should stand here," she grabbed Clark by one arm and Lana grabbed Clark by the other. Together they dragged Clark to stand in front of Lex. "Try it again, Lex."

Lex smiled. "I, Lex Luthor, take you Clark Kent to be my lawfully wedded husband."

From a distance came the response, "Perfect!" Lacey laughed.

"Don't forget what we talked about, Clark! And thanks for the great idea!" Lana laughed and they locked the doors behind them.

Clark sputtered in confusion then looked to Lex. "You mean you and are …are…"

"I asked you the wrong question Clark, because I'm an idiot. I should have asked Lacey to be my best woman and you to marry me." Lex sank to one knee. "Will you marry me, Clark Kent?"

"Lex, if this is some sort of a joke I swear I'll –"

"You'll what?" Lex laughed feeling lighter and happier than he had in years.

Taking a deep breath Clark replied. "I'll fly you up to the top of the Daily Planet and leave you there."

Lex gasped and stood shakily to his feet. "Could you?"

Clark nodded. "I guess I'm full of surprises, aren't I?"

"You're not a mutant, are you Clark?" Lex asked in a whisper.

"No Lex, I'm from the planet Krypton. My planet was destroyed shortly after I was born and my parents sent me here. I can do a lot of things no human can." Clark swept Lex into a hug in a blink of an eye and slowly raised them off the dance floor.

Lex smiled. "I've never been kissed by an alien before."

Clark smiled back, Lex's easy acceptance making him flush with happiness. They closed the small gap between them. Lips brushed over lips and Lex put his arms around Clark's neck pulling him closer as their tongues touched for the first time. They both moaned with desire while they tasted each other, remembering and imprinting upon it. Clark set them both down as the kiss ended.

"I love you, Lex. I can't be your best man, not now and not ever again. But if you're serious about tying the knot, the answer is 'yes'." Clark smiled into the next kiss. Lex was smiling too, making it hard to kiss, so he soon pulled away.

"I love you, Clark. You do know you've been set up, don't you?" Lex purred, licking up the side of Clark's neck.

"I do."

This story archived at http://www.squidge.org/keikokin/viewstory.php?sid=735.