Accidental Dreams by Keikokin (PG)
Lex loves the man of his dreams, but will an accident take all that away?

Categories: Clark/Lex
Characters:
Genres: First Time
Warnings: Alternate Universe
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1
Word count: 1645 - Hits: 2693
Complete?: Yes - Published: 21/07/06 - Last Updated: 21/07/06

1. One Shot by Keikokin



One Shot by Keikokin
Plot bunny by silverhope
Proofreading by nefernat
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Lex looked down at his watch; sighing internally he looked back at the line at the counter. Out of the corner of his eye he noticed Clark talking with Chloe. Turning back he mused over his emotions where the farm boy was concerned. His father would be horrified at how in love he was with the young man who'd recently graduated high school.

In his wildest dreams, he saw them making love late into the morning hours. He could picture Clark going to Metropolis University and moving into the penthouse. After Clark graduated from there he could propose and they could get married in Hawaii. Maybe they could even adopt some children to keep Martha happy.

This time the sigh escaped him. He got his coffee at long last and made his way out of the Talon, sorry to note he'd missed his chance to talk to Clark. Looking up as he exited the shop he was horrified to see Clark standing in the middle of the street clutching his head in apparent pain with a van load of kids bearing down on him. The driver apparently too busy scolding someone in the back to notice where she was going.

Lex's feet were moving before he even had a chance to think about it. All he could see was the man of his dreams getting mowed down by the driver. He ran into the street and pushed Clark out of the way, only to get hit by the van himself. The last thing he saw was Clark's concerned face covered in tears. He smiled happily and let the blackness over take him.


When Lex came to he was blinded by bright lights. He moaned knowing the stench of a hospital all too well. Suddenly he remembered the accident.

"CLARK!" Lex sat bolt upright and instantly regretted it as an anvil seemed to smash into the side of his body.

Warm, strong arms cradled him back to the bed. "Lex, take it easy."

"Clark?" he grated out.

"Yeah Lex." Clark sat down on the edge of the bed gingerly and clasped his left hand loosely.

Lex blinked away the clouds in his vision to see Clark sitting so close with tears still fresh on his face. "You're okay?"

"Yes. OH god Lex, why did you do it?" Clark sniffled. "I'm so sorry. I should have been –"

"You would have done the same for me. Can I have some water?" Lex choked out.

Clark quickly put a cup with a straw in it to his lips. Lex took a few sips but the strain of holding up his head was too much. Clark cradled his head and lowered him gently to the pillows once more.

"The doctor says you can leave once you're awake. But that it’s unwise for you to do anything for a few weeks or so. The driver saw you at the last minute so besides a few bruises and cracked ribs you're –"

"Shh," Lex tightened his grip on Clark's hand. "I'm fine, but more importantly you are okay. When I saw that van bearing down on you like that I thought I'd lost you."

"But you didn't have to!" Clark wailed, put his head down on Lex's shoulder and sobbed.

When Martha arrived, Lex had fallen asleep again and Clark clutching his hand like a lifeline. As if by sheer strength of will, Lex would be well. Clark's mom had been filled in by Chloe as to what happened when she called the house. So they understood the guilt that radiated off of Clark.

No sooner had she arrived then Lionel barreled into the room, "Lex!"

Martha grabbed his arm to stop him from rushing to Lex's side. "He's asleep Lionel. Let him rest."

Clark turned seeming to see them both for the first time. He wiped away tears from his eyes and stood steadily, face-to-face in front of them. "I'm sorry sir; Lex was hit because he was trying to save my life."

Lionel put both hands up to his head, glaring at both Clark and Martha. "This is intolerable. You must tell Lex everything. It almost cost him his life today and I cannot risk losing him!"

Martha and Clark knew that Lionel knew but the way that Lex had alienated Clark of late and seemingly turned so dark, neither was sure it was safe to reveal the secret to Lex. Clark gulped. "He's right mom. We have to tell him. And I insist on helping him get back to health. It's the least I can do."

Lionel gave a terse nod after a moment of silence. "Yes, I think you do owe him that much. But it will have to be in the penthouse. It's on one level and stairs would be too much for his ribs right now."

Martha squeezed Lionel's hand, giving him a look of guilt filled sympathy, before Lionel went to check with a doctor. Clark gave his mother a hug then returned to Lex's bedside, where he'd kept vigil since he rode in with the ambulance crew. Martha wrapped her arms around herself and, looking up, asked Jonathan's spirit to help them through this.


Lionel looked over at Martha. They were both standing in the penthouse where Clark had propped Lex up on some pillows to watch the entertainment system. Martha smiled tightly. "Lex took the news rather well."

Rolling his eyes Lionel snorted, "Because he loves him, any fool can see that. And it almost killed him." He took Martha by the elbow escorting her to another room to speak plainly. "Clark is still dealing with his powers isn't he?"

Martha bit her lip. "Well, there were solar flares that day and –"

Lionel held up a hand. "I've already paid several unscrupulous men for photos and recordings of Clark's so-called secret. You obviously need the sort of help that only Lex and I can provide. I wish you'd reconsider my offer to come back to work for me."

Martha hung her head. She'd been struggling to keep the house and farm with her managerial job at the Talon. Clark was leaving and in order to keep the farm going she'd have to take on at least five farm hands. It was so hard without Jonathan. Things were different when she was able to share the burden now it was overwhelming.

"Please," Lionel put a hand on her arm. Martha caved and nodded. Lionel smiled. "Good and you can help me keep an eye on the boys."

Martha smiled back, pleased at that thought. She was, however, taken aback by Lionel's next statement. "I know Clark has been accepted at Metropolis University and he should stay here. It's not safe for him to be in a dorm with others when he cannot control his powers. And he can help Lex fight off these mutant stalkers he seems to attract. If anyone questions it, we can say he's training to be a bodyguard."

Lionel took pity on her adding, "Clark loves him too. You'll need a crowbar, Martha, to get him to leave my son's side until he's well. And you'll still be hard pressed afterwards. We both know it."

Martha stood up and walked back to where Clark and Lex were. Lex's eyes were alight with happiness, despite the obvious pain he was in from the accident. Clark's eyes were also gleaming with joy, despite the guilt he carried. It was the first she'd seen Clark happy since Jonathan's death.

Straightening her back she marched resolutely forward. "Clark, Lex, I have something to say to both of you and I don't want to hear one word in rebuttal. Is that clear?"

Behind her Lionel covered his mouth with his hand to keep from laughing when he saw ; seeing that both the boys relaxed a bit. Clark spoke for them both when he said, "Sure mom go ahead."

"Lex, you need someone to protect you. Clark needs to learn something besides farming. You'll take him on as a bodyguard to fend off the world and you in turn keep his secrets. Lionel and I were just discussing that it would be foolhardy for you to go to a public dorm, Clark," Martha stated firmly.

"I agree. You should come live with me," Lex quickly interjected.

Clark perked up, "Really?"

"Yes, it’s the best solution on all fronts," Lionel added.

Clark looked back at Lex. "I accept."

"Speaking of which, your mother has kindly agreed to save me from myself by coming back into my employ," Lionel added happily.

Lex groaned. "I'll have to find another manager for the Talon."

"Give it back to Lana," Clark suggested.

"That's going to cut into any time you have together," Lex reminded him, looking unhappy.

"We broke it off, Lex. And it's for good this time. We're both in love with someone else. I guess we only got together in the first place because we were neighbors," Clark shrugged. "Besides, she drives me crazy."

Sensing their cue both Lionel and Martha headed out to the kitchen to have a cup of coffee.

"Who is it then that you're in love with? I'm sure I can help you –"

Clark grinned. "Then say 'yes' when I ask you out."

"Yes," Lex smirked.

But it was quickly wiped from his face as Clark leaned over to seal it with a kiss, the first of many as all of Lex's dreams were fulfilled one by one.

This story archived at http://www.squidge.org/keikokin/viewstory.php?sid=730.