Confessions by Keikokin (G)
A frank discussion in the Kent household reveals exactly who needs to grow up.

Categories: Clark/Lex
Characters:
Genres: First Time
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1
Word count: 816 - Hits: 3333
Complete?: Yes - Published: 25/06/06 - Last Updated: 25/06/06

1. one shot ficlet by Keikokin



one shot ficlet by Keikokin
Beta: svmaria
Testreader: nefernat
One shot complete, warning for a bit of Jonathan bashing.
Disclaimer: Smallville is the property of WB, while the Superman universe is the property of DC comics and associates.


Lex nods and goes to wait outside on the porch, after a gentle kiss to Clark's cheek and squeeze of his shoulder

"Why, Clark?" A tired farmer stares across at his son. He was a gift to them, and is like a god with his abilities. Clark can do anything. Why this? It makes no sense. How can he feel this way?

"He's different, Dad." There's a familiar shrug. It's aggravating in its common appearance. The words behind it can be comprehended.

"Explain it to me so I can understand it, Clark." He can't say the word 'son' anymore. It's not the same and hasn't been since the first time he was afraid of the boy he'd raised.

"He thinks."

"Thinks?"

"Yeah, he thinks all the time. There are layers and layers of it; always shifting and trying to be what everyone wants him to be. I get that. It's like that for me, too."

A soft sigh then, "I’m trying here Clark, but I don't think that explains it."

"He sees me."

"Sees you?" Jonathan Kent feels tired. Talks like this do that to him. That's why he married such a smart woman. Martha is good at things like this. Clark doesn't make sense. Maybe he never has.

"Beneath it all we're different because we have to be, to survive. I grew up a hypocrite. He grew up branded at birth. I lost my world. He lost his mother and brother. I have to fight to fit in. He has to fight to stand out…To do that we both have to hide, always hoping to be seen. Do you get it?"

"So you have things in common, although it seems more like opposites to me. How can you love him, Clark, after all the Luthors have done?" Jonathan twisted his worn Crows mug in his hands.

"You can't see past his dad. But he could see past you."

"What's that supposed to mean?" A frown crossed Jonathan's face, pushing his bottom lip and chin out stubbornly. He's been insulted somehow in all this fancy talk, he’s sure of it; must be that stupid college education. Clark never talked like this before. It's confusing and it’s giving him a headache. Where's Martha anyway?

"Lex knew there was more to me than being a normal farmer's son. He's always seen that, from that first day on the riverbank. I gave him life and he gave me, one I didn't know about. He saw me when I tried to be invisible. When no one else understood, or pressed for answers, we could sit for hours and say nothing. Lionel would have pressed. He would have put me in a lab to analyze me. Or worse, but not Lex; he's always been there for me. Even when we fought, there was no turning back from what we had."

Jonathan presses a hand to his temple. A car drives up outside and relief pours through him when he recognizes it as his wife. Clark leans back looking toward the door. It's held open by Lex who quietly explains what's going on…But without the revelation of their feelings.

"Clark, honey, what's going on?" She asks in a soft tone putting down her purse and keys.

Getting to his feet Clark repeats the words again. "I'm in love with Lex. And he feels the same way, too."

"Oh," Martha sits down, reaches for the coffee pot, filling Jonathan's cup. She searches his face to see how he's faring. She can read him like a book and senses she has to take over. She pours her own cup. Then sips it thoughtfully, "Are you happy?"

Clark's smile answers faster than his words do. "Yeah, mom, we both are."

"Then I expect to see you both for Sunday brunch," Martha replies. Jonathan stares at her.

"Martha what-"

She holds up a hand, smiles at Clark as he kisses her cheek and races out of the room. Soon the sound of car leaving lets them know the two young men have left.

"Are you sure?" Jonathan asks in confusion.

"He's happy, Jonathan. Can we ask for more than that?" She fixes her eyes on his. Years of marriage have created communication that transcends normal conversation.

"But with a Luthor?" Jonathan fights back with familiar battleground.

"Grow up," Martha gets up putting her now empty cup in the sink. She looks back with pity on her stunned husband and finishes the thought, "Clark has."

This story archived at http://www.squidge.org/keikokin/viewstory.php?sid=720.