Seal of Sincerity by Keikokin (PG)
It's just after the summer of HPB, what's changed. And what's happened to Slytherin House?

Categories: Harry/Draco
Characters:
Genres: First Time
Warnings: Fluff
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 8
Word count: 13018 - Hits: 30052
Complete?: Yes - Published: 22/06/06 - Last Updated: 22/06/06

1. Preface & Ch. 1 by Keikokin

2. Ch. 2 - Networking by Keikokin

3. Ch. 3 - Backlash by Keikokin

4. Ch. 4 - The Bonding by Keikokin

5. Ch. 5 - The reshuffling by Keikokin

6. Ch. 6 - A Shoulder by Keikokin

7. Ch. 7 - Discoveries by Keikokin

8. Ch. 8 - Slytherin Reborn by Keikokin



Preface & Ch. 1 by Keikokin
Warnings: Post HBP/Contains spoilers for HBP
Beta: MJ
Test reader: Allexandrya
Proofreader: Nefernat
A/N: Plotbunny credit to Merkat
Disclaimer: HP belongs to JKR, her publishers, the WB and subsidiaries. No maliciousness was intended during the making of this fiction.


Preface

Draco looked out the window of the Hogwarts Express, watching as it pulled into the station for this, his last and final year at Hogwarts. He found he had little in common with his fellow passengers and was trying to just ignore them. It seemed none of them had matured at all.

The summer had been insane to say the least. He'd gone into hiding with Severus Snape and his mother. Lucius, his father, was still in Azkaban after only a short time of freedom. He was recaptured at what was now known in the Wizarding world as "The Last Stand". Voldemort had been killed by Potter, as expected, resulting in Potter spending most of the summer in St. Mungo's trying to recover. Severus, thanks to timely information, had been hailed as a War hero and given the post of Headmaster at Hogwarts, over Minerva McGonagall – who after suffering a war injury, retired from academia. Professor Sprout, of all people, was now the Deputy Headmistress.

At the 'Last Stand', the remaining known and surviving Death Eaters had all been rounded up, including many of his fellow Slytherins. Theodore Nott, Blaise Zabini, and others were no longer in their ranks, though there was talk of trying to wipe the minds of all minors involved. Draco shivered at the thought of becoming a mindless zombie.

Draco had experienced first hand what it was like to have to make a decision that could cost a life. Dumbledore might have been a doddering old manipulating fool, but Draco couldn't kill him for that. Since Severus swept in and cast the final spell to end the man's life, Draco had become first on Voldemort's death list. Thanks to a vow made to his mother Severus had hid them out over the summer until it was safe to return to the public eye after much public relation tap dancing. Frankly, Draco was surprised that Severus had been cleared of Dumbledore's murder. Thankfully pensive memories were still admissible in court, saving both his life, Draco's and that of his mother.

This was a summer that Draco felt severed him from his childhood. He wondered how many others had been affected by the War. Sluggishly he left the train and headed toward the carriages when he overheard a familiar voice, which often visited his dreams at night – Harry Potter.

"They really are beautiful, in their own way aren't they?" Harry was asking. Draco slid into the shadows of a carriage to listen in, wondering what he was talking about.

"Thestrals are fascinating creatures. I'm trying to get my father to do an article on them. I think this is the one I rode before!" Draco rolled his eyes. It was Luna Lovegood, the Ravenclaw weirdo extraordinaire with whom Harry was speaking.

Peering around the corner Draco watched Potter gently stroke empty air. Potter really could see them! But why couldn't he? Potter and Lovegood talked a bit more before climbing into a carriage. Draco strode over to where they'd been yet still couldn't see anything. It irked him to no end, since it was yet something else that Potter could do and he couldn't!

Wasn't it bad enough he was dreaming about the four-eyed Gryffindor? Now he not only had to put up with what would undoubtedly be the entire school at Potters' feet once more, but knowing that Potter had seen more action than he had in terms of the War? Draco climbed gracefully into a carriage and made it known with one look that he still did not wish to speak to anyone. No one seemed to mind.

After all what does one say to a fellow Slytherin who failed his only mission, went into hiding then turned over information? Draco felt sick at how badly the year could go. Despite the growth spurt of just about everyone around him, he was only lanky, not the least bit proportioned like his schoolmates were. To make matters worse Crabbe and Goyle had been captured with their fathers – as he would have been, if things had gone the way they were supposed to. The queasiness in his stomach only grew as they left the carriages.

His fellow Slytherins had shifted together, casting hateful glances his way and whispering. At his ear he heard a deep sigh. Turning he was surprised to see Potter looking at him with an accessing glance. "I don't envy you this year Malfoy," Potter said softly.

"What would you know of it, Potter? Everyone loves you, the Hero of the Wizarding World? I imagine your summer was filled with flowers, medals and accolades," Draco stated in a cool voice.

Harry raised his eyebrow at the lack of snap in Draco's reply. "I was trapped in a hospital ward. It wasn't like I could get away. I would have much rather been hiding out from it all." The unspoken 'like you' was not said, but Draco felt it nevertheless like a punch to the gut to remind him of his cowardice.

"Sorry, I didn't mean anything by that," Potter continued catching the flitter of pain across Draco's face. He cast a quick look around and then pulled Draco off to the side when no one was looking. Draco only gave him a look of disdain and yanked his robes out of his hands. Potter rolled his eyes. "Look, I am not looking forward to this year any more than you. You had a choice not to kill. I wish I had gotten one. Because I wouldn't have done it either, no matter how much I hated that bastard. I envy you Malfoy." Harry's head turned at the sound of Ron Weasley calling for him and he looked at Malfoy seriously and Draco could see the honesty of those words in his face. Draco gave a curt nod of appreciation, which Potter returned before dashing off to be with his Gryffindor friends.

Draco remained silent throughout the Sorting Ceremony. He kept his own council all night. Potter's words tumbled over in his head on some sort of bizarre replay. At the end of the night he cast a glance over at Potter. As if sensing it, Potter looked up meeting his gaze. He didn't smile or turn away, which meant more to Draco in terms of honesty than he could relate, so he simply gave another nod and once again it was returned.

Draco Malfoy knew right then that he and Harry Potter had reached a turning point in their relationship, and that he was not the only one who'd matured over the summer. He'd gone to bed that night infinitely grateful for the private room accorded to all Seventh Years, but still took the precaution of warding it heavily before feeling secure enough to fall asleep.

Chapter one – Eavesdropping

Draco huddled into a slip of a corridor near the Potions classroom, rubbing his hands together and blowing on them. Despite it being early in the month of September, a chill had already filled the dark and dismal corridors. It was times like this that Draco found himself wishing he'd been a Ravenclaw, if only for an occasional bit of sunshine to warm him.

To avoid any nasty gossip mongers or chances of being hexed, he'd gotten into the habit of not appearing until just before he had to enter a classroom. It was because of this that the Holy Trio did not spot him, as they hung back, not wishing to hang out with the Slytherins any more than he did. The irony was not lost on him. He found himself more comfortable with the Holy Trio than ever before. Often he found himself hanging like some moon in orbit around them, but not actually interacting with them. It was odd at first, but since he hadn't started any trouble they didn't bother him either. The unspoken arrangement suited him.

"It must have been terrible for you spending the entire summer in St. Mungo's," Hermione was talking in sympathetic tones to Harry.

"Better than the Dursleys I'd expect," Ron commented.

"You have no idea. It was bloody paradise compared to being with them," Harry sighed. "Still being in there and having to deal with all the fake cheeriness and people who suddenly popped out of nowhere to get their fifteen minutes of fame for being seen with me made me a bit sick to my stomach."

"Look, there's Snape. We’d better go," Ron said quickly and Draco heard them shuffle off and quickly followed them in.

He stopped at the door. "I need to talk to you after class," Draco said in a hushed tone to Severus. Snape raised an eyebrow and nodded.

The class was separated into pairs, and once again he found himself paired with Harry. He still wondered how the Holy Trio was in this class at all. N.E.W.T. level potions was not for the unskilled. Undoubtedly it had to do with the Order. He moved his bag over to sit by Harry, his partner for the year, who greeted him with a nod, as had become their norm. Draco and Harry had become rather good at working together as an almost seamless team. It was because of this that they finished a few minutes early.

Harry was putting their potion ingredients away and Snape shunted Draco off to the side. "What was it you wished to discuss?"

Casting his eyes about and seeing it was safe he asked the question that had been on his mind. "Who are the Dursleys?"

Snape's expression turned to surprise. "They're Potter’s dreadful muggle relatives, courtesy of his mother. Why do you ask?"

"I overheard him mention he preferred being in the hospital over being with them. But I know for a fact that he hates hospitals. Yet, even Weasley agreed with him. Why is that Sir?" Draco's confusion was apparent.

Snape pondered over what to say. It had only been recently after the debacle of Harry being barred up in his bedroom at Privet Drive that he had found out the truth. "Spill something onto Potter." He turned on his heel and swept away.

Draco shrugged then looked for something to spill on Potter. He hadn't pulled any pranks on the other boy yet, so he was looking forward to carrying out the order. It would be like old times. And he suspected that Snape would get him out of it as well. All the better.

He knocked over remains of the potion they'd been working on from Lavenders cauldron onto Harry while the witch was in a panic trying to clean up. "OH NO!" she cried.

Instantly Snape swept over. He shot a glare at Lavender. "You foolish girl, you should have been cleaned up ten minutes ago!" His head snapped toward Draco. "Stay after class and clean it up Mr. Malfoy!" An evil smile came over his face before it went into a scowl once more, "And you, Mr. Potter. Why did you allow this to happen to your partner? You too will stay after class!"

The Slytherins snickered at Draco's misfortune. Harry sputtered then sighed at the unfairness of the situation and began to help Draco clean up Lavender's work station. She had hurriedly run from the room in tears before Snape could deduct any points.

"Get out of the way," Snape waved his wand and the door slammed shut and the mess was instantly cleaned.

"Professor?" Harry asked in confusion.

"Malfoy here needs to ask you some questions and this was the best way to provide the needed cover for you both. You have five minutes to make the best of it. I will write you both a note for your next class." Snape swept away with his robes snapping behind him to write out the aforementioned notes.

Harry chuckled. "I should have known you weren't that clumsy. You're the most graceful person I know. I can't believe Snape's writing us notes. He's finally mellowing out - about time too. Anyway, what's up Malfoy?"

Draco's mouth quirked upwards at the compliment and it made him feel more at ease about the questions he needed to ask. "Why don't you like being at the Dursleys?"

Harry's face fell. He looked at Snape who instantly met his questioning gaze and gave a brief nod. "Right." Harry sat down on the corner of a workstation. "They treat me on about the same level as Dobby was in your house. I was able to free him, but no one can free me. I have to stay there for the blood protection. Or at least that's what …" Harry's face fell just as it always did when he thought or spoke about the late Headmaster. He shrugged.

"Why? They are your family and they don't care about you?" Draco gasped in surprise.

"They believe all magic to be abnormal. My Aunt despised her sister and so she hates me, too. Why do you care anyway, Malfoy?" Harry asked in a resigned voice.

"I overheard something you said earlier and I just couldn't believe it. I still can't. You're Harry Potter! If the Wizarding World knew about this…" Draco was shaking his head. He'd grown up thinking that Harry was some sort of demi-god, if not a god and was treated like royalty, only now to find out differently. His mind wouldn't begin to accept what he was hearing even though it made sense the more he thought about it; the horrid glasses, clothes and how Potter always seemed to come back starved from holidays and never went home for Christmas.

Draco held out his hand for the second time in his life to Potter. "I've misjudged you and dealt you a great deal of trouble because of it. Can we start over Potter?"

"If I didn't know better Malfoy I'd say that you were under Polyjuice potion, but it would have worn off by now." Harry slipped off the desk. "Alright Malfoy let's give it a go." He reached out and shook the hand that was still hanging in the air.

Draco sighed with relief. At least he had the chance to be friends with Potter now. He certainly had enough enemies. Snape's shadow swept over them. "Here," he pressed the notes into their hands, "now go."

Ch. 2 - Networking by Keikokin
Chapter Two – Networking

Hermione and Ron took one look at Harry when he slipped into Charms bearing the note from Snape and knew something was up. They both glanced at each other, with the same thought, 'please don't let it be bad Order business'. Despite what their parents wanted, for them to stay safely in the background, both had become loosely affiliated with the Order of the Phoenix simply because of being best friends with Harry. It was either that or remain in the dark all the time. Already, there had been more than one time that their loose ties had assisted the organization greatly. More often then than not, it was simply to reveal visions that Harry had suffered through his scar that he did not wish to share with the Order. But there were times it was more to report where Harry was and how he was behaving. After all, Snape had known that Harry was almost sorted into Slytherin and knew the young man had some dark characteristics. Not that he had revealed this to anyone else.

They kept an eye on Harry during class and began to feel a bit more at ease. Each of them had become rather proficient in reading Harry's expressions and movements. If anything Harry seemed to be amused by something. So they let it go until the end of class, which also heralded lunch time.

When class ended Hermione waited for Harry and Ron at the door. Then she pulled Harry off to one side. "Harry, I can't believe Snape gave you a note! What's going on?" Even though Snape was now the Headmaster, they couldn't seem to say it out loud. Not even Hermione.

Ron nodded. "Yeah mate, what's up?"

"Malfoy wanted to ask me about the Dursleys," Harry shrugged.

His two friends gasped, gaped at each other and then turned back to Harry. "He what?" they asked in unison.

"You heard me." Harry shook his head and started down the hall. "Merlin, I'm hungry."

"Wait up!" Hermione yelled and charged after him, Ron at her side. "You can't just tell us that you had a normal conversation with Malfoy and just walk away like that."

Harry rolled his eyes. "Look, he just overheard something - that's all and wanted to clear the air."

Ron frowned. "What did he overhear?"

"Just a comment I made comparing the Dursleys to St. Mungo's. You remember that right?" Harry continued on quickening his pace. Hermione was practically jogging to keep up to the two long legged Gryffindors.

"Harry, doesn't it bother you that he was eavesdropping on us?" Hermione asked with concern.

"No. Not really. If he was trying to hide the fact that he found out, then he wouldn't have asked about it, would he?" Harry shot back looking a bit miffed.

They remained quiet until they entered the Great Hall. A swarm of students went by as they entered at the same time and one of them was Malfoy. "Harry."

"Draco." Harry gave a slight nod and headed toward the Gryffindor table, not seeming to even notice that his two friends had stopped short and were staring at each other in confusion. They ran over to sit next to Harry.

They whispered furiously over Harry's head while Harry was bent over tucking into his food. Ron gulped and broke the silence. "Why are you and Malfoy suddenly on a first name basis?"

"Buried the hatchet," Harry shrugged shoveling some more food into his mouth.

Hermione blinked as Ron stared. "You what?" Hermione whispered.

Harry stopped eating and glared at them both, power radiating off of him and making them both sit back. "Look, we talked and cleared the air a bit. We shook on it, to make a new start. Just leave off about it, alright?"

Ron was about to go into a tirade, judging by the sudden red that filled his face. But Hermione cut him off with a sharp look. "Harry, do you really think he means it?"

To their shock Harry smiled. "Yes." Harry finished up while his two friends were a bit too shocked to eat, still sitting rigidly while trying to process this change. Once Harry left the hall, Hermione and Ron slid together on the bench.

"Bloody hell," Ron commented.

"For once Ron I quite agree." Hermione bit her lip. "You don't suppose Harry likes him do you?"

Ron squirmed in his seat remembering the conversation that they'd had where Harry had admitted to them both he was gay. "Oh Merlin, I don't feel so good."

Neville leaned over, "What's wrong guys?"

"Harry and Malfoy made up," Hermione said as if saying it aloud would make it sink in better. Ron groaned putting his head into his hands.

Seamus pushed past Neville. "Err, did I just hear you say that Harry and Malfoy are friends?" Lavender and Ginny started to laugh at the very idea.

Hermione pursed her lips. "Yes, they've buried the hatchet. And we better go along with it or Harry's likely to be very put out."

Seamus, Neville, Lavender and Ginny fell over themselves laughing. Nobody believed them. Ron shot to his feet, his hands balled up in fists. "Just shut up the lot of you! We aren't kidding! And if we want to stay Harry's friends we have to stop fighting with that git - bloody hell," he ran his fingers through his hair as he pointed to the Slytherin table, "probably the whole lot of them, since Malfoy is their leader!"

"You're serious?" Seamus asked choking back his laughter.

"He is," Ginny gasped in sudden horror.

"You can't be!" Lavender yelled. "They're horrible to us and they deserve everything they get!"

Oliver Wood suddenly rushed over to their table. He'd been acting as Head of Gryffindor House since McGonagall retired. But to them he was still one of the gang. It was just too weird, but Oliver seemed happy about it since life on the road was tiring him out. And it allowed him to coach Quidditch at Hogwarts, when he wasn't teaching Transfiguration.

"Hey now! What's going on over here!?" Professor Wood asked with concern trying to get them to sit down and putting a hand on Ron to get him to settle.

"Harry and Malfoy have buried the hatchet," Ginny and Hermione said in unison.

"Bloody hell," Oliver practically fell onto the bench, students scattering quickly out of his way as he sat with a thump. "When did this happen?"

"Today. I think Snape might have had something to do with it," Hermione added thoughtfully.

"Well it would help with, um, the cleanup effort for the war," Oliver added after a moments hesitation. Though most people knew about the Order these days, it didn't do to flaunt one's membership in it. They all nodded in quiet shock as the word of the truce swept through the Great Hall.

Ch. 3 - Backlash by Keikokin
Chapter Three – Backlash

When the news reached the Slytherin table, Malfoy quickly made his exit with a sharp glance from Snape, who'd been keeping tabs on him. After all, Draco Malfoy wasn't exactly the poster boy for Slytherin house anymore. It seemed all of his house mates knew he'd been in hiding over the summer. The only reason that he'd returned to Hogwarts was for the safety it provided. Besides, Professor Snape could not refuse the position of Headmaster, it was something he'd longed for. His mother was in Hogsmeade, with Snape as her secret keeper.

Hearing steps coming quickly up behind him, Draco hurried to find a safe place to duck and wait for the worst to blow over. He was only a hands width away from Snape's private rooms when the first hex hit him from behind. Draco screamed and dropped to the floor.

A corridor away Harry Potter froze in his tracks. Was that a scream? Something was horribly wrong. He looked at the nearest portrait which was of King Arthur. "Excuse me? Did you just hear a scream?"

"Why yes young man, I did. I do believe it was a corridor over." The portrait looked behind him. "Ah yes, they seem to be hexing a young man with the most beautiful blond hair…" Harry didn't wait for him to finish, but took off running - wand at the ready.

Draco writhed as the sensation of his back on fire ripped through him, as he wished he were dead. Pushing himself up off the cold stone floor with shaking arms, the blond looked into the eyes of his fellow Slytherins. It seemed the entire House was here. He glared at them all with every last reserve he had. They might kill him, but they could never rip him of his heritage. He was a Malfoy and would die as such. Pride filled his face. "Kill me then, or are you too cowardly to do so? Hexes in the back are the act of cowards."

"Petrificus totalus!" one yelled. Once he was petrified a few of them kicked him sharply in the ribs and legs. Then they dragged him into the nearest room, locking the door behind them.

"Open his mouth!" cried another and yet a third stepped forward unstopping a vial.

Draco looked up to see Pansy Parkinson of all people smirking down at him. "Don't worry Malfoy, it’s a very fast acting poison." She tipped his head back.

The door suddenly blew off its hinges and Harry Potter stood in the doorway with Headmaster Snape at his back. With a mere wave of his wand, Snape knocked everyone unconscious with a general sleeping spell. Harry dove to stop the drop of poison from hitting Draco's open mouth. Instead it sizzled away at Draco's robe, leaving a gaping hole where the Slytherin patch once was. "Finite Incantarum," Harry whispered.

Draco gasped. Harry helped pull him upright. Wood ran in, and upon seeing the Slytherins immobilized and Draco on the floor quickly put two and two together. He got to work binding the students up until they could be dealt with properly. Harry sat next to Draco, unconsciously holding the blond as he trembled. Snape nodded at him and helped Wood to deal with the students leaving Harry holding Draco.

"I suppose I picked a very good day to make friends with you, Harry. If it wasn't for you…" Draco began in a shaky voice realizing exactly how close he'd come to death.

Harry shook his head. "Let's not go there. I happened to overhear what you said. I'd been putting my head to each closed door to find you. That was really brave."

"Brave? Stupid really! I pushed them into action." Draco sighed and leaned heavily against Harry for a moment. "I just didn't want them to have the satisfaction of knowing how scared I was."

Harry nodded pulling Draco a bit closer as the blond shuddered unconsciously. "I know I was. I'm not really sure where the strength came from to blast open that door like that. I'm not even sure where Snape came from. Are you…are you okay, Draco?"

Draco nodded but coughed up blood at that moment, making his words invalid. Snape swooped down out of nowhere pouring a potion down Draco's throat. "Help your Head of House, Potter. I'm taking Mr. Malfoy down to the Infirmary," Snape's voice cracked just a bit revealing that even he had feelings, at least when it came to Draco. Harry eased out of the way and hurried to help Oliver, so he could follow Snape and check on Draco.

They finished quickly and Snape contacted the Ministry who took the students away. Apparently the Ministry no longer took chances and the students were to stand trial for attempted murder. Especially once they confirmed that the poison they were about to use was none other than Voldemort's favorite. Despite wanting to go to the Infirmary with Draco, Oliver made Harry return to class, where he quickly filled Hermione and Ron in on the day's events.

Headmaster Snape had no choice. With Draco Malfoy in the Infirmary after a murder attempt and the entire upper years of Slytherin House involved he dissolved the House. It was something that never had been done in the history of the school and he could hardly believe it had come to this. Word spread very quickly that Slytherin house was no more. The only students that had not taken part in the attempted murder were First Years. It was obvious to the rest of the Houses that something would have to be done. But there had been no sign of Headmaster Snape, so all they could do was wait. Rumors ran rampant from Hogwarts closing at last to the Death Eaters returning to kill them all for not letting the Slytherin's murder Malfoy. Some students even suggested leaving him out on the front lawn!

Even the teachers had given up trying to get anything accomplished in class. All could sense a great change was about to take place. This was further compounded when all the Heads of Houses were called to Headmaster Snape's office to discuss the situation. The students had been given the last class of the day off and were to wait in their dormitories until dinner.

Harry had been asked to recount his story over and over until his throat hurt. He was actually relieved when Madame Pomfrey showed up to escort him to the Infirmary.

"Is he okay?" Harry had asked immediately as she entered the Gryffindor Common Room. He'd been climbing the walls with silent worry over Draco's condition.

She smiled and nodded. "Mr. Malfoy has asked for your presence Potter. Now get a move on." Harry's grin was blinding.

Ron groaned and Hermione smacked him in the arm at this. Harry shrugged, still smiling then hurried after Poppy. When the portrait closed behind him there was even more rumor and innuendo cast about. Ron dragged Hermione off to one side. "He likes him. I'm telling you this is terrible!" Hermione was forced to agree.

Ch. 4 - The Bonding by Keikokin
Chapter Four – The Bonding

Poppy escorted Harry to the Infirmary very quickly all the while mumbling that she had better things to do than this. She went on to list several such things while Harry was lost in his thoughts; like why had Malfoy asked for him? And how was Gryffindor House taking this? What kind of speech was Hermione going to give when he returned? How long would Ron throw a fit?

"Mr. Potter, please don't keep Mr. Malfoy from getting his rest," Poppy said suddenly, breaking his train of thought. Harry blinked and sheepishly realized that they'd already arrived at the Infirmary. She raised a teasing eyebrow, shook her head then left him alone. He made his way over to the only bed with a curtain around it. Pushing the curtain back, he cautiously entered.

Draco looked scared. That alone stopped Harry in his tracks, and causing his breath to hitch. The second was that Draco was actually smiling, happy to see him. "Err, hello."

"It's about time you got here. Did the old bat take the long route?" Draco snickered.

"The old bat has excellent hearing, Mr. Malfoy!" Poppy called from the other side of the room. Draco winced and Harry laughed. Looking about, he spotted a stool and pulled it up then sat down.

Leaning forward he whispered, "I take it you two don't get along?"

"She makes me wish that the mud…that is, Granger were a mediwitch," Draco replied softly. He pulled at the sheets and for the first time Harry noted that Draco was in the standard Infirmary pajamas. He appeared to be itchy, but whether it was from the sheets or the pajamas Harry didn't know. Draco saw his gaze and shrugged. "Severus is going to see that a set of my own get brought up, but I suspect he's been waylaid by dealing with the House issue."

Draco looked down forlornly and Harry felt a pang of sympathy run through him. "Are they going to make you go back there?"

"Back to what?" Draco asked incredulously. "Honestly Harry, surely you realize that if only myself and the First Years are all that remain of Slytherin House there really is no House at all." Sadness over came his features at the loss of his House, despite what they'd done to him.

Harry fiddled with the edge of his robe. "Yeah, I did but…I don't know… I guess I thought that they might."

"I suspect all the houses will have to get reshuffled for the year." Draco mused aloud. "Quidditch will probably be eliminated as well as the House Cup. After all, it would hardly be fair would it?"

"True," Harry felt his heart drop at the thought of no Quidditch. "Well, how do you think they'll reshuffle us?"

Draco was silent for a moment as he pondered the issue. Harry looked around in the meantime and noticed there were no cards, sweets or gifts at all. Didn't Malfoy have any friends? Or had they all turned on him? It made him feel oddly protective of the blond and wish he had a gift to give him. A thought came to him and he excused himself for a moment and went to Poppy's office. He knocked on the door and the medi-witch looked up in surprise. "Mr. Potter?"

"Would you happen to have thread or thick floss in colors?" Harry asked, remembering something he'd seen on the telly once.

She looked at him oddly, retrieved the requested items in various shades of purple. "May I ask what you're going to use it for?"

"A present," Harry pointed at the items and cast a spell he'd seen Hermione use on Ginny's hair. The colored string instantly began to braid itself together. When it was done Harry cut it and returned the items to Poppy. She scratched her head and shooed him out. Harry hurried over to Draco who was looking at him curiously.

Harry held out the tightly woven colored strings to him. "I made you something."

"Um…" Draco looked at the thread and wondered what on Earth it could be.

Harry's face fell. "Don't you like the colors?"

"Uh, sure. But …" Draco frowned.

"It's a friendship bracelet. There was a big rage over them in America for a time." Harry explained. "You tie them on the wrist of a friend."

"Oh," Draco still looked confused and Harry stepped forward to tie it around Draco's wrist. A small smile twitched at the corner of Draco's mouth. "Thanks."

Harry beamed. "You're welcome." There was an awkward moment where neither knew what to say, so Harry asked," Did you figure out how they'll sort us?"

"I was thinking alphabetically by year," Draco said with conviction. "It's only reasonable. Although, Sprout will probably make a big speech about how we can use it to get along better," Draco rolled his eyes.

Potter nodded as he thought about it. "Chances are Neville and I will still be rooming together…"

"Be grateful you don't have to worry about rooming with Theodore Nott," Draco groused before he looked at Harry with surprise. "We might wind up together," Draco pointed out in a quieter voice.

Harry smiled. "That wouldn't be so bad." Then a glimmer of uncertainty graced his features. "Would it?"

Draco looked down at the present on his arm and back up to Harry. "No, it wouldn't be bad at all." He paused. Harry's face fell again and Draco realized he'd paused a bit too long and hastened to add, "As long as Longbottom doesn't rattle off plant names in his sleep."

Harry tilted his head as Draco yawned. "Speaking of sleep, I should let you get some."

"Would you mind, um…" Draco began with hesitation.

"Not at all," Harry supplied. "But this chair is the pits. Mind if I, um…" he waved toward the bed.

Draco's cheeks turned a bit pink, but he nodded quickly. Harry kicked off his shoes and scooted in beside Draco. The bed was rather cramped and Harry had to grab Draco to keep him from going over the edge. Draco moaned in pain at the wrenching his body sustained. "OH Sorry!" Harry said instantly pulling back.

Trying not to think of the loss of the warmth and security he'd felt in those arms despite the pain, Draco carefully rolled over until he was facing Harry, each on their side. "Engorgio," Harry muttered and pointed his wand at the bed which instantly doubled in size. It also eased the tension between them a bit. "Night Draco," Harry said with a smile.

"Night Harry," Draco replied. They soon fell asleep. When Poppy came out she thought it was too cute to break up and since Harry was fully clothed she didn't see the harm. She was about to turn out the lights when she saw the bracelet on Draco's hand. A small smile crossed her face. It was good to know that something worthwhile had happened after such an upsetting day for the school.

Ch. 5 - The reshuffling by Keikokin
Chapter Five – The reshuffling

Harry woke early and was quite embarrassed to find he was completely sprawled over Draco. He pulled carefully away, slipped off the bed, stretched and yawned. It was this last action which awoke the sleeping blond. Draco yawned as well and stretched like a cat, before scratching his chest idly. "Do you think I'll get out of here today?" Draco asked.

Harry shrugged, grateful that Draco didn't even mention the fact that they slept and cuddled together. Although Harry had to admit it felt very good to wake up like that. But he resolutely pushed those thoughts back to think on later. His stomach growled bringing him back to the present and the fact that Draco was waiting for an answer. "How do you feel?" Harry asked. "I think it will depend on that."

"Indeed it will," Poppy suddenly announced her presence by pushing back the curtains and breezing into the small enclosure. "How do you feel this morning, Mr. Malfoy?"

"A bit stiff," Draco admitted ruefully trying to rub a kink out of his neck. Harry looked at the floor when he realized where Draco had been rubbing was exactly where Harry's hand had been cupping the back of it. No wonder it was sore. As if sensing his thoughts Poppy raised an eyebrow in his direction. Harry was about to defend himself when Poppy cleared her throat.

"Well then, take a sip of this and off you get." She pushed a small vial, which Harry recognized as pain relieving potion into Draco's eager hand. Draco seemed to brace himself then drank it all back in one shot. He tried not to make a face but failed – miserably.

Harry chuckled. "I think Snape makes them taste awful on purpose."

"No, its just the combination of such strong ingredients cannot be covered by some simple flavoring," Draco defended casually.

"Really? Is that why?" Harry wondered why Hermione had never mentioned that all the times he'd complained about the taste of potions. But maybe it was true and Draco really did have a natural gift and understanding of the subtle art of potion making. Merlin knew he didn't have it.

Draco shook his head and immediately regretted it as the cramp he'd just massaged out of his neck returned.

"Oh better let me try to get that for you. Turn around a bit, would you?" Draco moved carefully so as not to create a worse situation and Harry sat behind him. Harry carefully worked on Draco's neck feeling the muscles loosen under his ministrations. Draco sagged underneath him. "Better?" Harry asked hopefully.

Draco was just about to answer when Ron and Hermione appeared next at the curtain. Their eyes went wide. Harry bit his lip and hoped his two friends wouldn't explode. After all, Harry supposed, it did look a bit intimate to have Draco tucked into him like this and his hands on his neck. Ron began to get a funny look on his face, like he did when Hermione mentioned studying. Hermione bit her lip and straightened her shoulders. In a very tight voice she said, "It's time for breakfast. You two better get a move on or we will all be late." She tossed her hair over her shoulder and left. Ron gave one more look at them, put a hand over his stomach and left.

Harry sighed and slipped off the bed. "Well, um, should I go or wait for you?"

Not looking forward to what the reaction might be to his appearance in the Great Hall, Draco bit back his pride, "Wait." He got up and made his way to the bathroom. Harry cast a spell on himself to get the wrinkles out of his clothes. Draco returned and said simply. "Your turn," Harry nodded and went to take care of his morning routine, sans shower. When he returned Draco was dressed, and was trying to get a knot out of his hair.

Eager to touch Draco again and especially his silky fine hair Harry leapt at his chance. "I can get that."

Draco looked at him assessing his motives, and then shrugged. "Suit yourself." He handed the brush over to Harry who began to work on the knot. "I don't understand how it got knotted like this. It's never done that before." Draco commented as Harry worked it out and handed the brush reluctantly back to Draco.

"I didn't mind one bit," Harry smiled. Draco gave a small raise of his eyebrow and a smile threatened to tug at his lips.

"We’d better go," Draco announced finally. Harry fell into step beside the blond, and Draco noticed that their stride was about the same. He'd been very touched by Harry's offer to give him a massage and work out the knot in his hair. He hoped it meant something to the raven haired young man at his side, but he couldn't be sure. He was far too busy trying to analyze his own feelings. Draco had woken up minutes before Harry and upon realizing their bodies had intertwined he had allowed himself a few minutes of sheer pleasure of just being held. It had been a long time since anyone had wanted to hold him like that – especially without wanting something in return. There was something so special about Harry too. It seemed to radiate off him, whether it was his magical signature or his simple innocence Draco could not tell. But he couldn't turn aside the fact it was something to be cherished.

The noise of the Great Hall brought his musing to a close. He looked at Harry, not wanting this time between them to end. Harry seemed to feel it too. The Gryffindor reached out and took his shoulder gripping it hard before letting it go. "It will be over before you know it." Draco nodded, gulped and hoped it was true then before his courage fled him entered the Hall making a beeline for the Slytherin table. He sat down and tried to pretend he didn't notice the hundreds of eyes suddenly upon him. Or the fact that all the chatter had stopped the second he entered. At the other end of the mostly empty table the First Year Slytherins looked at him like he was an unknown quantity.

Taking a deep breath Draco took a sip of his pumpkin juice, after giving it a surreptitious sniff. It wouldn't do to be poisoned now after already escaping it once. A firm hand touched his shoulder. He looked up to see Professor – no Headmaster Snape looking him over. Nothing was said but a wealth of understanding flowed between them. It had always been this way between he and Snape. For a while he wondered if there might be something more sexual about it but soon realized it was just part of the enigma that was Severus. The Headmaster gave a sharp nod then moved swiftly up to the podium, with his telltale black robes flowing behind him. Some things never changed and Snape's dramatic flair was one of them.

All eyes turned mercifully from him to the front of the room. The tension reached a new level as they all waited with baited breath for the announcement. For only a breath a look of sadness crossed Snape's face. Draco was sure he'd seen it, but was just as sure no one else had. Snape cleared his throat.

"Slytherin House will be temporarily closing; my estimate would put it at several years until it recovers." Gasps filled the air. Snape shot a cold look about the room and it instantly fell silent once more. "The remaining members of that house will be resorted into other houses." There was no explanation for this plan, but Snape wasn't the type to explain himself. Draco guessed it was so that there would be as little disruption as possible. A resorting of the entire school was a bit insane after all.

Deputy Headmistress Sprout toddled forward. She placed the Sorting Hat upon the chair and motioned for the Slytherins to come forward. Draco tried to ignore the feeling of sheer dread that came over him. He watched as the small First Years before him were sorted into every single house from Hufflepuff to Gryffindors. The cheers and clapping were reserved to put it mildly.

Draco felt like a zombie. All feeling had left his body and he prayed he wouldn't pass out from lack of oxygen. He pasted the best mask he had onto his face and willed it to stay in place. For all the time he'd spent in Slytherin, he'd always raved about its virtues and the glory of being Slytherin. To have this happen and to have it be essentially his fault…Draco felt sick. It was as if he'd betrayed everything in his entire world. Emotions crashed over him, like waves at the seashore. He locked his knees in place and tried to imagine he was anywhere else but there. When that failed as the boy in front of him was sorted to Hufflepuff, he summoned every bit of bravery he had and marched forward sitting upon the stool once more.

Ah, Mr. Malfoy, back again I see. Quite the lesson you've learned isn't it? The snake eating the snake. Ah, but where to put you? You're certainly no Hufflepuff, and Ravenclaw might work. You are quite studious. Perhaps Gryffindor. They would eventually warm up to you as Mr. Potter already has. But then again, I know how you dread those colors. You did summon up quite a bit of courage lately, but still I think there's no choice except – RAVENCLAW!

There was a stunned silence and no clapping. The Ravenclaws seemed just as stunned as he was. He sat down numbly next to Luna Lovegood who actually seemed to be a bit amused by the whole thing.

Snape stepped forward once more as Deputy Headmistress Sprout took the stool and chair away. He pointed his wand at the Slytherin table and it vanished. The Bloody Baron drifted through the wall and Draco wondered what he would do now his House was gone. All the drinks suddenly floated up in the air. There was a great creaking and the tables shifted. Draco grabbed the table as he was taken on a small ride. The tables walked over and resorted themselves into a new arrangement. When they stopped the drinks settled right back in place and food appeared.

Looking around Draco could see they were grouped by year and no longer by house. The Seventh Years were the closest to the door while the First years were right up by the Head tables. The tables were also now going across instead of lengthwise. It seemed to fill up the room a bit better and left three easily accessible pathways to the front of the room. Snape waved his wand one last time and the Slytherin flag fluttered one last time. It folded itself into a perfect triangle and fell gracefully into Snape's arms. The wash of emotion of Snape's face was unmistakable this time. He turned on a heel and left the room. Feeling sick, Draco got up and followed suit.

Ch. 6 - A Shoulder by Keikokin
Chapter Six – A Shoulder

Harry saw Draco leave the Great Hall and left as soon as he could after him. He felt great disappointment that the blond had not been sorted into Gryffindor, but was relieved that he would not have to fight Ron on a daily basis. As soon as Harry slipped out of the Great Hall he pushed his emotions aside and gave way to the most pressing one, concern.

Draco slumped against the inner wall of the deserted classroom. He'd tried to get back into the Slytherin Common Room but found the room sealed. Doubling back he happened upon this room near the Ravenclaw dorms and took the refuge he so desperately sought. The memory of the pain, disappointment and disbelief on Snape's face as he closed down Slytherin House replayed in his mind along other memories of what just happened. He would have given all of his belongings at that very moment for a pensive to take some of the pain away. "WHY!" He yelled. In despair he sank to the floor and hung his head between his knees and hugged his legs.

It was this sight that greeted Harry, who had gone all the way to Gryffindor and grabbed his map to use it to find the blond. He slipped in and unsure what to do just sat down beside Draco and waited. The moment seemed too personal to interrupt with whatever he could say. Although what could he say? It took Draco a few minutes to look up. In the meantime, Harry locked the door and put up a silencing charm.

"Harry." Draco laughed but it was tight and near hysterical. "I destroyed my own house? How many students can say that?"

Emotions threatened to overtake the both of them. Harry reached out and put a hand on Draco's shoulder. "You didn't destroy Slytherin House Draco. They did by destroying the one person who gave the House some class."

Draco snorted. "Class? Is that what being a son of a Death Eater is? Is that what being a coward is? Really you need to get a dictionary, Potter."

Harry winced at the return to his surname. As far as they'd come it felt like a slap in the face. But he knew that Draco was in pain and lashing out anyway he could. Using his Gryffindor bravery Harry stood his ground. "They were the cowards. The lot of them attacked you as a mob. Poison is the weapon of choice for cowards."

This time Draco didn't argue. "I still … It's my fault…Severus…He will never forgive me. No one loved their House as much as he did. After he hid me out and protected me all summer, he did not deserve to have …this….this shame."

Gulping Harry blatantly ignored the suspicious burning of his eyes. "I've had my house turn on me too, Draco. They didn't try to kill me but they did turn on me and Gryffindor is supposed to be the most loyal House of them all. And this is no more, "Harry winced unbelieving of what he was about to say, “Snape's fault than it is yours."

Draco threw his head back and laughed. He turned red eyes to Harry for the first time since his arrival. "And how do you think McGonagall would have reacted in Snape's place?"

"It would kill her. I…don't think she'd ever recover." Harry admitted in a soft voice.

"Exactly and Severus is a proud man, Harry. You may not believe it, but he is. I've brought shame to the name of Slytherin and Malfoy. He can never forgive me," Draco choked out.

"He will forgive you," Harry said weakly wondering if it was true.

Draco shook his head. "Why are you here, Harry?"

"…Because you need a friend. I wanted to be here for you. I …I was …worried," Harry admitted looking at his shoes.

"You stupid sod," Draco whispered. "After all I've done, bringing ruin, shame and pain to everyone and you want to be there for me? Are you mad?"

"I've been accused of worse," Harry shrugged.

Draco almost smiled. Then his eyes filled. His lips vanished into a tight line as he searched Harry's face. Draco began to shake. "What have I done?"

"What you always do Draco – survive. It's what I've always admired about you," Harry admitted.

"Do you mind telling me what you're blathering on about now?" Draco asked in a shaky voice.

"Your father got sent to Azkaban, but you survived. For years, you dealt with Ron beating you down at every turn for what your father had done with his life. But you persevered. All those matches I beat you at, you still stayed strong with your head held high. No matter what I've seen you deal with you've always survived. Being strong is what you're good at. I…I envy that about you Draco."

Draco sniffed. "It's not like I had a choice. What about you? Your godfather is killed, your parents and yet you killed that crazy mudblood dictator. I think that makes you a hell of a lot stronger than me."

"I didn't have a choice either Draco. And because of that I know that you'll get through this. As for Snape, well I still don't care for the man, but he's as strong as any wizard I've met. It will take a lot more than this to take him out. Sure, it will take some time for him to adjust and for you too, but you will."

"See this in a teacup or something did you?" Draco sneered.

"No, I see it in you. Both of you," Harry amended.

Sighing deeply Draco said, "You are something else, Harry."

Harry smiled at the return to his first name. "I think you are too, Draco."

"Come here idiot," Draco opened his arms and Harry readily filled them. Pulling Harry close Draco sighed into Harry's hair making it flutter. He nuzzled the top of Harry's head for a moment then closed the distance turning Harry's head slightly he leaned down and kissed him. Just as suddenly he pulled back and kissed him again on his forehead before resting his chin once more in Harry's locks. "Moron."

"Moron lover," Harry teased back.

Draco pulled him tighter. Harry barely felt the nod brush across his hair.

Harry smiled although Draco didn't see it.

A wave of magic indicated the silencing and locking charm being dismantled. Draco looked over Harry's head to see his new Head of House, Professor Flitwick standing in the door. "Oh my! Oh well, sorry to interrupt boys, but it's getting late. Mr. Malfoy, are you …Are you alright? I was quite worried when I realized you had disappeared so quickly. The Headmaster sends his regrets he could not help you settle in but he had to tell the Ministry of his decision. They've been quite insistent that he deal most severely with those who…attacked you."

Harry lifted his head to look into Draco's eyes before turning to the man at the door. "I'm sorry Professor, it's my fault." Harry rose to his feet and gave Malfoy a hand up. "I needed to…um…talk to Draco."

Flitwick smiled broadly and knowingly. "Good, good Mr. Potter, I'm glad someone found our wayward Mr. Malfoy. Professor Wood thought you might have tracked him down. Something about Mr. Weasley being a bit green?" Draco snorted and Harry chuckled. Flitwick winked. "Well, come along Mr. Malfoy. I want to talk to you about Quidditch!"

Draco nodded and with a sidelong glance of gratitude toward Harry he walked out the door. Harry sighed and Flitwick smiled at him. "Don't worry, Mr. Potter. I'll keep a good eye on our Mr. Malfoy. Rest assured."

"Thank you Professor," Harry replied numbly, already feeling Draco's absence keenly. As Draco and Flitwick headed toward the West Tower, Harry headed toward Gryffindor. He had a feeling neither he nor Draco would be sleeping well that night. Arriving at the Gryffindor Tower Harry braced him self for the inevitable and entered.

Sure enough Ron and Hermione were waiting for him. The rest of the Gryffindors had broken into suspicious groups and were completely ostracizing the three Slytherin first years they'd taken in the resorting. Deciding he was damned anyway, he made a beeline for the trio. "Hi."

They looked up at him with suspicion. A small blond boy stuck out his chin and stepped forward. "Potter, what do you want?"

Harry was taken slightly aback. "Um, I just thought I'd welcome you to Gryffindor."

A group scowl was his response. "It's your fault that Malfoy went soft!" The sudden silence in the Common Room was deafening.

"Look I just wanted to-" Harry began but was cut off by the brash young blond.

"You wanted to shag Malfoy and cost him our House." Harry jerked back as if he'd been slapped hard. "Harry Potter!" the blond spat at his feet. "You're nothing but a bloody poof. And if Malfoy wasn't such a slut we'd never-"

Harry saw red. He didn't even realize he was beating the shit out of the son of a bitch until he heard Hermione screaming at him. "HARRY!! STOP IT!!! LET HIM GO!!"

He was lifted forcibly off the mouthy ex-Slytherin and restrained by Ron and Dean. Harry kept twisting in their hold for another shot at the student that was already bleeding profusely from his nose and mouth. The boy only smirked. "Saint Potter," he spat and red flecks of blood flew," has a soft spot. Too bad our Lord didn't know about it – or you'd be dead."

"SILENCIO!" the voice of Oliver Wood came out of nowhere. But Harry was straining too hard at the bonds that had suddenly appeared around him. He dimly registered Hermione putting away her wand. To his satisfaction the ex-Slytherin was in the same predicament- unable to speak to boot.

Oliver exhaled heavily as he stepped in between the two. He glared at the former Slytherins, but especially the one in binds. "Detention with Filch for a month, and if I ever hear you say those words or entice a fist fight again in my house I'll make sure you get expelled. Got me?" Instead of nodding the former Slytherin fought all the harder. Oliver ran a hand through his hair. Harry could see the mixture of emotions on his friends face. "Fine, let's go see the Headmaster then." He looked to the others. "Do not follow his example." The girls nodded with their arms folded over their chests.

Harry didn't trust them as far as he could throw them. Evidently Oliver didn't either. With a wave of his wand he conjured up a bracelet that clinked shut over their wrists, glowed for a second and vanished into their skin. "This is a mischief detector, courtesy of an old friend of mine. Mad-Eye Moody. Perhaps you've heard of him?" The girls looked panicked. "I see you have. If you so much as have a cross thought I will know about it. So either make an effort to fit in, or write to your parents and ask for a transfer to Durmstrang."

"We will," the one said bravely.

Oliver conjured up two quills and pieces of parchment handing it to them. "Don't let me stop you." He turned back to the boy. "Let's go. I'm sure the Headmaster needs someone to take out all of his anger on, it was so kind of you to volunteer." The boy paled. Harry heard Ron snicker. The girls sat down and began to write quickly.

The rest of the house went back to ignoring them. That is everyone except Ron, Hermione, Neville, Dean and Ginny who all looked at him like he'd grown a second and third head. Harry groaned. "Look, come upstairs all of you for a moment." Ron gulped and they all followed Harry to his dorm. Hermione folded her arms across her chest. Ginny bit her lip. Dean shook his head and Neville looked nervously around. Seamus ran up and joined them looking curious.

Harry summoned up his courage and faced them all. "Here's the deal. I like Draco and he likes me back. And I don't care what anyone else thinks, I just…I just wanted you to find out from me instead of someone else."

Ron sank onto his bed and looked ill. Hermione's eyes went wide. "Oh Harry. Are you sure?"

"Oi, Harry mate, you'll have your hands full with that one," Seamus smirked.

"I've got a bad feeling about this, I do," Dean added.

Neville walked forward and put a hand on Harry's shoulder. "I'm…I'm glad you found someone Harry."

Harry smiled. "Thanks Neville." Neville nodded and moved off, looking sharply at the others. Ginny nodded in agreement before Neville took her hand and walked her out of the room. Dean grunted and began to turn down his sheets. That left just Ron, Hermione and Harry in an awkward silence, punctuated by Ron's mutterings about ruining a perfectly good day.

Hermione pursed her lips in a tight frown. "Well then. It's your decision, Harry. I don't approve but it's your life. But don't expect me to be kind to him if he continues to act like a Slytherin prince. I'm only putting up with this for you and …Well…because he hasn't started in on us this year."

Ron stood up and put a large hand on each of Harry's shoulders, looking him square in the eye. "I'm your best friend mate. I…Well, that is to say…Good Luck."

"Thanks," Harry replied beaming at his friend. He knew it would be a lot of work, but it meant a lot to him that he still had the loyalty of most of his friends – Gryffindors to the end. Ron walked Hermione out and Harry went to bed, but he didn't fall asleep for a long time.

Ch. 7 - Discoveries by Keikokin
Chapter Seven – Discoveries

The next morning in the Great Hall Draco picked at his food. He felt ill at ease at the Ravenclaw table. It took him a minute to realize why he felt quite so strange. It wasn't just the Ravenclaws that were making him feel oddly. After all, he'd been raised to be comfortable in almost any setting. Then it came to him. He was the only remaining former Slytherin left. His fork clattered to his plate noisily, indicating his shock at the cold, harsh, truth. He'd been completely shunned, abandoned and forgotten. His rasping breath was the only thing he seemed to hear. "You'll be okay. Don't worry about it," came an odd voice. Draco looked over to see Luna Lovegood smiling dazedly at him.

"How do you know that?" He asked in sheer disbelief.

"Because the grass isn't always greener," she smiled and started to read a copy of the Quibbler, upside down.

He shivered involuntarily. Unconsciously he began to get up when his attention was suddenly diverted. A cry of happiness filled the room as mail call began with owls swooping in from all directions. A bad feeling of foreboding overcame him. Rising from his seat, he turned quickly on his heel to leave when gasps began to mix in and then whispers broke out like small wildfires all around the Hall. He caught Harry's eyes. Concern filled the deep green orbs.

Draco fought back a waving tide of emotion. He was uncertain whether he was going to be sick, or pass out. But he knew without a doubt that he just had to get out of there. He'd just made it out of the Hall, when he felt a tug at his elbow. "Draco! Didn't you hear me calling you?"

Closing his eyes, Draco wished this once Harry would go away and leave him alone. "No I didn't, Potter." He wrenched his arm loose and out of instinct made a beeline for the Slytherin dorms.

It only took a few steps before Harry had caught him up again. "I let you push me away once Draco, so just forget it. Malfoys don't run away and a Potter doesn't let anything get between them and the person they care about –especially if they are needed. You need me Draco."

Draco turned on his heel, a bitter retort on the tip of his tongue. But it failed him as he looked into the honest green eyes before him. He sagged into Harry's arms. "I can't deal with it. They're all gone...All of them. I can just imagine what the paper is saying about me. I've probably been erased from the family tapestry."

"It's not so bad as all that. Come on then, Draco and have a look," Harry pushed a copy into Draco's shaking hands. Nervously Draco looked down after seeing the quiet urge and resolve in the deep, emerald eyes.

DURMSTRANG IN UPROAR!

A record number of transfers from Hogwarts have pressured the officials of Durmstrang School of Witchcraft and Wizardry for acceptance. The school, long known for its secretive teachings of the Dark Arts, was stunned to hear of the alleged closing of Slytherin House at our own Hogwarts. Sources say that Headmaster Snape expelled six years of students for attempted murder of one of their own, whose name is currently being withheld.

Durmstrang's gates were locked for the first time in the school's history to ward off the sudden influx. According to Ministry records there clearly is not enough room for the new applicants at the ancient school. Yet surprisingly, as soon as the news of the depletion of Slytherin House at Hogwarts made the rounds at the school, students lined up to be transferred to Hogwarts.

"It's bloody cold here and Headmaster Snape understands what we've been through. Slytherin House will rise again," claimed Valkerie Valstock a sixth year student at Durmstrang. "These students coming in are in for a rude awakening! I'll gladly switch schools!"

It is this reporter's belief that Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry should expect a tide of new students to refill Slytherin House. By the looks of things it is about to rise from the ashes to be reborn.

Draco looked up into Harry's eyes incredulously. "This…It can't be…I mean…No." Draco's voice shook.

"It is true. You better not get used to wearing blue and grey. I don't think you'll be in Ravenclaw for more than a day or so." Harry tried to smile but it didn't quite each his eyes.

"But should I go back to Slytherin? When they find out won't they all hate me like the others did? Who's to say they won't try to poison me next, but with something so deep into the Dark Arts that old bat won't be able to figure out an antidote in time? What if –"

Harry could tell Draco was starting to get more wound up with each passing second. So he kissed him right there in the hall. Draco gasped and Harry took the opportunity to deepen the kiss. Moaning deeply in his throat Draco pulled Harry closer to him, wrapping his arms around his waist.

"OH YUCK!"

Draco and Harry sprang apart as if their robes were on fire. Ron Weasley stood there next to an open mouthed Hermione Granger whose arms were filled with books. "I just ate!" Ron wailed.

Hermione thrust out her chin. "Care to explain, Harry?"

Harry stood closer to Draco and with a shaky hand pulled Draco's hand into his own, lacing their fingers together. "We're dating."

Draco looked at Harry, but thought that now was not the time to contradict him. Besides, it was nice to hear. Plus there was the added bonus of Weasley's expression, which he would have paid money to see. So Draco smiled and leaned over to plant a kiss on Harry's cheek. "That's right."

Ron shivered and stuck out his tongue in a disgusted manner. Hermione's sigh was audible. "Fine then, but I do expect you to follow proper decorum and not be snogging in places you don't belong." Her tone was very tight, clipped and authoritarian, reminding Draco of McGonagall so much, he bit the inside of his mouth to keep from laughing. One look from Harry, however, ended the thought of a snappy retort. "It's time for class."

It proved to be a long, long day for Draco, who wanted nothing more then to have another go at Harry. Instead he found himself the object of more and more rumors as the day progressed. They ranged from the absurd – that Draco had planned the destruction of Slytherin House to replace it with Durmstrang students all along, to the silly – Draco was actually a Veela and the Slytherins had threatened his mate, Harry, and so he had driven them all out. To make matters worse, Draco was counting down to dinner, when he suspected the Durmstrang students would arrive. He still hadn't made a decision as to whether or not to return to Slytherin and it all depended on the Durmstrang students. It was totally outside his realm of influence and he loathed the feeling of little to no control that it left him. Harry seemed to sense his apprehension and pulled him off to the side whenever possible whether it was for a hug or a kiss, for which Draco was eternally grateful. The touches seemed to ground him. At the very least it reassured him that no matter what, Harry would remain in his life.

Ch. 8 - Slytherin Reborn by Keikokin
Chapter Eight – Slytherin reborn

Draco's guess was right. As Draco tried to withhold comment on Luna's odd comment that Trolls could be housebroken, a large raven swooped in over the tables. It headed straight for Headmaster Snape, dropping an official looking scroll at his plate. Snape quickly took off the ribbon and read the parchment. His eyes immediately sought out Draco's and he gave a sharp jerk of his head and the two left the room. Whispers sprang up behind them but they both ignored it.

Snape surprised Draco by pulling him into a quick stiff hug, very opposite to the warm lingering ones that Harry enjoyed giving. But still it made Draco feel very honored. "Sir?"

"Durmstrang's ship is setting sail and will arrive shortly. Slytherin will rise again before the end of the night, Draco." A sob escaped Draco before he could stop the sound from escaping his throat. Snape nodded, sighing audibly with relief.

"I never meant for-"

"There will be none of that, Draco. Misplaced remorse is for Gryffindors and Hufflepuffs. You've been spending too much time with Potter." Snape's eyebrow rose.

"But how did you-"

"You keep forgetting I'm the Headmaster now and Hogwarts tells me all." Snape smirked. "Now then, the question is how they will react to you. I'm going to head out to meet them. Stay here and reopen Slytherin House. The unlocking phrase is 'Salazar Surrenders’." Draco blinked in surprise but nodded. "I expect you will want to tell Potter," Snape jerked his head toward the Gryffindor who was nervously playing with his robes at the end of the corridor. "Just tell him to keep his mouth shut. I still am wary of these newcomers. At least they have enough brains to realize they are better off here then than there!"

With that Snape patted Draco once on the shoulder and left quickly, his robes snapping behind him. As he passed Harry he jerked his thumb in the direction of Draco before vanishing around the corner. Harry seemed surprised but ran to Draco with worry written plainly on his expressive face. "Draco?"

Draco wrapped his arms around Harry, burying his face in his neck before pulling back. He couldn't hold back the smile on his face. "Durmstrang students are arriving as we speak. Severus has gone out to talk to them. Harry! Slytherin will reopen!"

Harry smiled but it looked tired and forced. It was then that comprehension dawned on Draco of how much Harry must have faced to stay at his side. "I'm happy for you, Draco."

"I have to go open up the Slytherin Common Room. Come with me, we need to talk." Draco put his arm around Harry's shoulders. Harry nodded and didn't say anything. He didn't need to. It was clear that the Gryffindor thought he was about to get the heave ho. Draco stopped and kissed him. It was deep and passionate, leaving no room for doubt. "You're an idiot, Harry. I'm not going to dump you."

Harry's shoulders sagged with relief. "Sorry, I just thought now that your house is back that you wouldn't –"

"Wouldn’t need you?" Draco shook his head. "I fell completely apart. If not for you I …well let's just say Pansy would have had her way."

"God Draco, no!" Harry gasped.

Draco let go of Harry and continued down the corridor. "For years you've been Potter the git. It wasn't until this year, when I expected it to be worse than ever between us that you were ….okay. Just because I'm a Slytherin at heart doesn't mean that I have a heart of ice or can't be loyal. My whole world turned upside down, my House closing, my own mates trying to kill me…resorting," he shivered at this and turned just as they reached the Slytherin Common Room. "Even Snape barely had a word to say against us being together, just hinted you made me a bit soft." Draco smiled.

Harry's mouth fell open. "Snape knows?"

Nodding Draco said the password that tasted foul on his lips and the Slytherin door opened. Draco sighed happily marching straight in leaving Harry to run after him. "Merlin I didn't think I could miss this place so much in so short a time." Turning he noticed Harry was muttering to himself over Snape's knowing. Draco took his hands and looked into his eyes. "Don't worry about Severus. How has your house been treating you?"

Shrugging Harry looked away. "Fair I suppose, considering our history. I’m a bit tired of Ron looking ill and Hermione's snorts of disapproval. The others are being okay. They kind of owed it to me for all the times they've turned on me. At least you were always consistent."

"Right. Consistent in how much I hated you," Draco chuckled, pulling Harry closer. "But that's over now."

They kissed for a moment until the loud sound of many precisely marching feet sounded upstairs. Draco's eyes lit up. "Come on!" he grabbed Harry by the hand and they ran all the way to the Great Hall arriving just in time to watch the former Durmstrang students marching up in military fashion behind Snape. Each one was smiling happily. Draco was a bit taken aback; looking to Harry he saw the same reaction. Giving Harry's hand a squeeze Draco walked up to Snape and stood beside him as he turned to the Durmstrang students. Snape nodded to the one at the forefront.

The young man who was almost a twin to Viktor Krum took a step forward. "We petition for acceptance to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry." With a sweeping motion of his arm to those behind him he added," We wish to bring back the noble house of Slytherin and follow the example set by Draco Malfoy, by having as little to do with the Dark Arts as possible!" He laughed. Cheers went up on all sides. Draco suspected it was a bit rehearsed but he smiled nonetheless. Snape waved his wand over Draco. His clothes changed to Slytherin robes. Draco's throat closed up choked on emotion. He stepped forward and hugged the leader of the Durmstrang former students.

"I'd be proud to have you as house mates," Draco managed to say hoarsely.

Snape waved his wand once more. Out of nowhere the Slytherin flag flew to its former position. The Durmstrang students were suddenly clothed in Slytherin robes and the tables got up and walked around once more until they settled back in the original House arrangements. "Welcome to Hogwarts!" Snape cried, sounding uncharacteristically upbeat. Draco couldn't help it….he laughed as waves of stress literally evaporated from his body, mind and soul.

The Durmstrang students all sagged with relief and began to hug each other. Going around to the podium at the front of the Head table. Snape lowered his head a moment to regain his composure. He lifted his head again and actually smiled as he announced. "I hereby declare SLYTHERIN REOPENED!"

And shockingly enough, the rest of the school actually cheered, as Harry and Draco smiled at each other from across the room.

It was hard to say what the future had in store for them, Slytherin House or even Hogwarts itself, but more than that it felt like …right.

This story archived at http://www.squidge.org/keikokin/viewstory.php?sid=709.