Harry, The Hare by Keikokin (PG)
When Harry falls asleep while shifting through animagus forms he runs into a problem.

Categories: Harry/Draco
Characters:
Genres: First Time
Warnings: Fluff
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1
Word count: 3838 - Hits: 2783
Complete?: Yes - Published: 08/01/06 - Last Updated: 08/01/06

1. one shot by Keikokin



one shot by Keikokin
“Beta: Allexandrya
Plot Bunny: Wolfmistress
Word Count: 3,527 words
Disclaimer: This story is based on characters and situations created and owned by JK Rowling, various publishers including but not limited to Bloomsbury Books, Scholastic Books and Raincoat Books, and Warner Bros., Inc. No money is being made and no copyright or trademark infringement is intended. THIS STORY CONTAINS MALE/MALE RELATIONS = SLASH











Harry smiled as he changed his body, shifting back into human form. “Wicked,” he whispered in the quiet dorm room. His book on animagus forms was still lying on his bed, just where he left it before he changed into a snake and back again. Skimming the page, he laughed when he saw the next form before it became a yawn. He added to the mental list he already had going of all his animagus forms and decided one more couldn’t hurt.

Closing his eyes he concentrated hard and soon he felt his body shift into a new animal, he already had mastered four. Despite being tired he just couldn’t resist it. Even as his body shifted a smile appeared on his face before it was covered in fur, whiskers and a little pink nose. A moment later and Harry the hare sat on the bed. He had white fur, brown circles around his eyes and a black spot between his ears. The rabbit yawned, scratched its ears and hopped over to the pillows. Settling down it fell fast asleep.

The early morning sounds of the dorm starting to stir woke up the hare. It twitched and hid under the bed in terror at the loud sounds. Sensing someone was coming near it dashed out hiding under another bed.

“What was that?!” Neville asked loudly.

“It looked like a bloody hare!” Seamus laughed. “How did it get in here?”

The two made a play to get the rabbit, but it jumped out of their reach and made for the now open door. It ran downstairs hiding in the Common room under one of the chairs. Frantic at all the sounds coming at it, the hare searched desperately for a way out.

Ron and Hermione both tried to get the rabbit after literally stumbling across it. But Crookshanks had a different idea. MRRROWWWWRRR. The cat on sheer instinct began to chase the rabbit, eager to have hare for dinner.

What’s going on? Why is everyone after me? Why do I look like a rabbit? I’m not a rabbit! At least I don’t think I am? Oh no, what’s that?!

The hare made a mad dash for the now open portrait to the Common Room. It ran for its very life, hopping like only it could, seeking out the darkest corner of the large place it seemed to be in. Lower and lower it went, running between legs and jumping out of arms that were grabbing for it.

In its desperate flight it ran straight into the legs of one of the students. Fear paralyzed it and it went as still as a statue.

You don’t see me. Please don’t see me! Why me? I’m so scared!
Warm arms reached down and picked it up. “Hey there. Where did you come from? Why are you out here? You must be terrified. It’s okay. I’ve got you. No one will hurt you. “

The rabbit looked up nervously into two pale silvery “blue eyes. A gentle smile crossed over the person’s features. “That’s right. I won’t hurt you. Come with me. I’ll take care of you.”

You smell nice. I like how he strokes my fur. What is his name? He seems so familiar to me. Oh yes, right between the ears!

Draco smiled down at the rabbit in his arms. For once he was glad he’d left Vince and Greg behind in the Great Hall. After all, it might ruin his reputation to be seen with a fluffy, adorable rabbit such as this one. He smiled again thinking that at last he had a pet.

He looked the rabbit over when he returned to the room. “Look at all these scratches. Who attacked you? I’ll make it all better.” Draco performed a few healing spells before turning a piece of parchment and a quill into a piece of lettuce and carrot for the hare.

FOOD!! Oh I’m starving! Yum! This tastes delicious! And I feel so much better! I don’t know who you are, but I like you.

After eating the rabbit hopped back over to his rescuer. Draco picked it up and began to embrace it once more. “What shall I call you? You do have some very interesting markings, like large buttons. How about Buttons?”

OH that’s horrible!

The rabbit scrunched up its nose and Draco laughed. “No, I suppose you’re right. I can’t call you Baby or Precious, I’d never live it down if someone found out. Well, when you ran into me you were running as fast as the wind, how about Zephyr?”

I like that! I’m fast as the wind!

The rabbit sniffed Draco’s nose and made the blond laugh. “Zephyr, it is.”

Zephyr and Draco spent the day together. Since Draco was one of the few Slytherins to survive the war, he had a room to himself; as did all the seventh years. He was grateful for the presence of Zephyr since it gave him company, the first he’d had since his mother died and his father was imprisoned. At the end of the day Zephyr curled up next to him and fell asleep, much to Draco’s delight.

This went on for about a week or so. Zephyr and Draco become quite close and while Harry still could not remember who he was, he knew he felt safe. Draco spent as much time as he could in his room, happy that Zephyr was always there waiting for him. They even sat together as Draco looked over his class notes and did his homework. He noted with amusement that Zephyr seemed to hate Potions, but seemed to enjoy Transfiguration.

In the meantime, the castle was in a panic. Everyone was worried because Harry had disappeared. Nobody made the connection between Harry's disappearance and the bunny's appearance. Most irritating of all to the Gryffindors was the total lack of concern that the Headmaster had in regards to the matter. Finally, in exasperation he hinted at the idea that Harry was on a mission for the Order, when he himself knew exactly what had happened to him. But at least things calmed down once word got out he was on a secret mission.

It was during the second week, late one night, that Draco woke up to a warm embrace and a head upon his chest where Zephyr always laid. Looking down, he found none other than Harry Potter in his arms and his bunny gone.

Immediately Draco thought that Harry had taken his beloved Zephyr and was playing some joke on him. In his anger, he awakened Harry.

“Potter, what the bloody hell are you doing in my bed?!” Draco snapped.

Harry tried to focus and looked around. “Where am I?”

“For crying out loud, Potter, get off of me!” Draco shoved Harry onto the floor and stood angrily over him. “Where is Zephyr? If you hurt him I’ll kill you, Potter!”

Sitting on the cold stone floor, Harry watched in confusion as Draco began to search his room. “Are you mad at me? Who’s Potter? What did I do?”

“What are you on about?! Of course I’m mad at you, Potter! Where is my rabbit!?” Harry screamed and tried to slink under the bed. Draco shook his head and grabbed Harry by the feet, only to have them shrink and change into rabbit’s legs. “Merlin’s beard!”

In his shock, Draco lost hold of the rabbit and it hid under the bed. “Potter, I mean Zephyr, get out here at once!” The rabbit moved further away from Draco shaking like a leaf in fear. Draco forced himself to calm down and gently coaxed Zephyr, who he now knew was none other than Harry Potter out from under his bed.

Still trying to calm Zephyr down, he went over to the fire in his room and called for his head of house. Severus Snape’s head appeared in the fire. Draco filled him in on what had happened. Ten minutes later they both sat in the Headmasters office.

“Why isn’t Minerva here to change the imbecile back?” Snape bit out, anger filling him to see Albus so happy and cheerful at this horrific turn of events.

“I see no need. Since Harry doesn't have his memory, he will stay with Draco, whom he feels safe with.” He gestured toward Draco where indeed Zephyr had climbed up on his shoulder and had cuddled into his neck.

“Oh this is insane! What about his classes?” Severus yelled.

Plainly ignoring him Albus went on. “You will have to brew a potion that will return his memory to normal.”

“But that potion takes MONTHS to make!” Small veins were starting to pop out on the Potions Masters forehead. “Why should I be penalized when obviously Minerva failed to teach the boy properly? It’s her Gryffindor to tend to, not mine nor Mr. Malfoy’s!”

“Nevertheless, you will. And I am confident with your skills the potion will give Harry his memory back. Draco, if you would be so kind as to tutor Harry if you could while you do your own homework? I believe you have the same classes with only one or two exceptions?” Draco nodded, too stunned by the Headmasters’ pronouncement to do much of anything else.

“You expect a rabbit to read?!” Severus yelled.

Albus shrugged. “Perhaps you are right. It would be better if he attended classes with Mr. Malfoy acting as his protector of course. I suggest you make a leash up or put a calming charm on him so that he can be carried. Or perhaps both?” The Headmaster smiled over his half-moon spectacles, his blue eyes twinkling merrily.

“Good grief!” Severus put his face into his palms.

Draco tried to hide his smile. Despite the fact he would have to face some taunting by his classmates, and it was Harry Potter who was currently nibbling at his ear, he had fallen in love with Zephyr and was glad he would not be loosing him, at least not for a few months.

And so it was that Harry started to go to classes with Draco. The Gryffindors yelled that it wasn’t fair for Malfoy to have a rabbit when no one else in the school did. But only the boys protested. The girls of almost every house were now fawning over Draco’s rabbit.

Draco did his best to protect Zephyr from the gropes, but more often then not the rabbit protected itself. Several girls were sent to the infirmary with deep scratches and others had been mortified to grab the rabbit away from Draco only to have it piddle on them. This was something Snape found infinitely amusing and made a point of not dismissing any student from his class who had met up with Zephyr’s bad attitude.

In fact, it seemed that only Draco could touch, or go near Zephyr at all. The Slytherin’s found it so funny that they even bought a studded collar for the rabbit during one of the Hogsmeade weekends.

Of course, there is an exception to every rule. Pansy had become insanely jealous of the amount of time Draco was spending with Zephyr as well as the attention he was getting. So she began to plot. One day when she knew that Draco was out of his room without the rabbit, she snuck in. She spotted the bunny that had taken so much of Draco's time away from her and, tossing a bag over it, grabbed a portkey and transported them both to the Forbidden forest.

Draco finished his errand and returned to his room, eager to see Zephyr again. In fact, he’d stopped by the kitchen to get some fresh tomatoes and cucumbers to see if Zephyr would like them. With a smile he entered his room. “Zephyr?”
After a few minutes of searching he began to worry, a few more and he was in a full blown panic trying to think of what to do.

Meanwhile Zephyr had awakened to find himself in the tied up in the Forbidden Forest surrounded by frightening smells and sounds. But even more scary was the realization he was at an end of a wand. Pansy laughed and it sounded high and cold in the air. “I’ve had about enough of you. My aunt sent me a lovely recipe for Rabbit stew and I think its time I tried it. Avada…”

Zephyr was terrified. Part of Harry was starting to recall this spell and its danger. He became so frightened that he couldn’t even use the fight or flight instinct, so he morphs into his second form - that of a Eurasian Lynx. The bindings holding Harry broke instantly and in his anger he swiped the wand from Pansy's hand, shredding the wand wood into splinters. She screamed and jumped back.

Harry ran in his Lynx form back to the castle as fast as he could. Somehow he knew that he could only be safe in Draco’s arms. Sniffing the air, he quickly turned and ran toward his salvation. Students screamed and jumped out of the way as the wildcat charged toward the castle.

Upon seeing Draco running out of the doors looking frantically for Zephyr he made his way toward him. Cries of alarm filled the air as the students, who were out enjoying the sunny spring Saturday, saw this wild cat making it's way to Draco and spring for him.
Draco, on the other hand had not seen the cat until it was too late. He lifted his arms to protect his face from being clawed to ribbons when he found himself knocked to the ground. Opening his eyes he was surprised to see he was being hugged and kissed by a very much alive and well Harry Potter.

Reluctantly, Draco pushed Harry away, who was in the middle of giving him very possibly the best kiss of his life. “Potter, what are you doing? What’s going on? Where did you go? You scared me half to death!”

Harry smiled. “I remember, Draco. All of it, the late night cuddles, hours of you petting and grooming me. How you’d get me special treats from the kitchen. The taste of your ear,” Harry purred softly. “All of it.”

“All of it?” Draco repeated as a small crowd began to gather.

“Yes, Draco Malfoy, all of it and how you are the kindest, sweetest, gentlest owner anyone could ever have. And do you know what?” Harry grinned.

“What?” Draco asked too shocked to say anything else.

“I love you,” Harry smiled then bent down to resume where his kiss had been so rudely interrupted. The witnessing students gasped in shock and quickly the word of what happened spread through the now very large crowd.

“What’s going on out here? I demand you break this up immediately!” A voice clamored to be heard over the pressing throng. “Harry Potter! Well, I never!” she screamed as she saw the two young men kissing feverishly on the front lawn.

“Do you all want detention?” Severus said quietly parting the crowd with no effort at all. “Eww, honestly, I just ate. Mr. Malfoy, really!”

Draco chuckled and Harry giggled ending the kissing session. They sat up together looking sheepishly at their respective Heads of Houses. “I demand an explanation, Mr. Potter!” Minerva snapped.

The crowd parted once more as Albus Dumbledore joined the group. “Professor McGonagall, Professor Snape, what seems to be the problem?”

“Well, these two were,” Minerva gasped and pointed with a shaking hand screwing up her lips into a tight white line, “displaying public affection toward each other on the front lawn of the school!”

“It was revolting,” Severus added. “I may have to scrub out my eyeballs.” Then he frowned realizing something. “I spent all that time making that bloody potion for you and now it’s all been wasted!” His face became an ugly shade of puce.

“But it’s not my fault. I was scared because Pansy kidnapped me. She was going to make me into stew! Then I changed form to get away and Draco found me!” Severus glared at where the milling students suddenly parted again. In the center stood Pansy Parkinson, blood was dripping from her hand and in her other was what was left of her wand.

“Is that true?” Severus growled at the young witch.

“What? How can you be mad at me? He’s been cavorting with HARRY POTTER, A GRYFFINDOR!” Pansy cried out angrily.

“I knew,” Severus grinned and it made Pansy’s blood run cold.

“You did?” Pansy whispered.

“As did I. Mr. Potter was stuck in his animagus form as a direct result of transforming and then falling asleep. Subsequently, he lost his memory and Professor Snape was kind enough to do a rather tedious job of brewing the delicate potion needed to return his memory.” The Headmaster glared coolly at Pansy.

“Well, it would have been nice if someone had bothered to inform me!” Minerva snapped.

“My dear lady, we needed only the exceptional skills of our gifted Potions Master. There was no need to trouble you. Although I strongly recommend you have a class on the dangers of transforming into an animagus form when tired, as soon as possible.” Albus chided the Professor whose eyes went wide before she nodded, looking none to happy.

“And since Miss Parkinson is in my house, it is only suitable that I hand down her punishment. After all she did try to kill Potter while he was under Mr. Malfoy’s protection. While she did not succeed she did kidnap him. And even if he was just a beloved pet to Mr. Malfoy, it would still be a grave offense. As well someone should make it up to me for all my wasted time.” Pansy gulped.

“To start with you can alternate days,” Snape smirked, “between cleaning the magical creatures’ pens behind Hagrid’s hut, and spending time with Mr. Filch as I’m sure he could use your assistance; since you seem to think you need to be involved in determining the fates of others, he can have you oil all his chains and last but not least, you can clean all the cauldrons that I had to use to make the potion. I’m afraid you will find the odor to be rather foul since I could not tend to them as I was rather busy continuing to work on the potion.”

“Severus,” Albus chided sounding amused.

“Ah yes, but for now you may go to the infirmary. Then I will owl your parents to explain why you need a new wand. I’m sure they will be most interested to hear about it. If you’re lucky you’ll only get a howler.”

Pansy burst into tears and ran into the castle.

As the crowd cleared away soon only the Headmaster, Hermione, Ron, Crabbe and Goyle remained. “So gentlemen, where do you plan on going from here? I certainly hope you do not plan on fighting anymore?”

“Actually, I was hoping that we could date?” Draco asked with a grin. His lips were still tingling from the kiss.

“DATE?” Ron yelled. “I don’t think so! You’ve been holding him hostage!”

“Oh Ron, really, haven’t you been listening?” Hermione rolled her eyes. “Besides Draco’s been so sweet to him. How could Harry not be swept away?” She sighed breathlessly and blushed.

Albus chuckled, “Quite so, Miss Granger.”

Ron growled and stormed off. Draco looked with concern at Vince and Greg. “Do you have a problem with this?” They shrugged and Vince took Greg’s hand in his. Greg blushed. Albus chuckled again while Hermione giggled.

“I’m still waiting, Potter,” Draco smirked.

“Yes, I’d love to,” Harry grinned back.

Albus looked again at the smaller gathering of Vince, Greg and Hermione. “I do believe these two need a few minutes alone, don’t you?”

“I’ll just go talk to Ron,” Hermione smiled and dashed off. Vince and Greg ambled off without another word.

“Well then, I have a Phoenix to feed,” Albus chuckled before leaving.

“I’m glad you aren’t mad at me,” Harry smiled nervously. Draco smirked and getting up offered out a hand to help Harry get up. He gave an extra hard pull and Harry wound up in his arms. “You did that on purpose.”

“You’re now dating a cunning, sly Slytherin, Potter, you better get used to it,” Draco declared pompously.

Harry wrapped his hands around Draco’s neck, then began to play with the soft flaxen locks, happy to have hands instead of paws. “And you’re dealing with someone who knows exactly how sweet, tender and caring you really are,” Harry replied.

“Humph, tell you what, Potter, kiss me again and I might overlook what you just said about me,” Draco challenged.

“I don’t know, you won’t call me Harry and seem to want me to kiss you, but haven’t even set up a date yet,” Harry grinned mischievously back.

“How about one date that lasts the rest of our lives, Harry? Draco whispered leaning his forehead against Harry’s.

“Draco, you do love me,” Harry smiled happily sweeping the blond away by with another kiss. Draco didn’t argue…the fact.

This story archived at http://www.squidge.org/keikokin/viewstory.php?sid=426.