Just a Case of Nerves by Keikokin (PG)
My very first SGA fic, written for Nathalies BD. When nervousness keeps our boys apart how will they ever get together?

Categories: John/Rodney
Characters:
Genres: First Time
Warnings: Fluff
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1
Word count: 1970 - Hits: 2719
Complete?: Yes - Published: 02/01/06 - Last Updated: 02/01/06

1. one-shot by Keikokin



one-shot by Keikokin
Date: 11/16.05
AU: You'll notice that the time line is a bit skewed.
A/N: Written for Nathalie. Happy Birthday kiddo!









John Sheppard sighed – again. He watched as his friend Rodney McKay was spouting off again, going ballistic over some small thing that had happened on Atlantis that day down in the labs. He wished he could simply take the man into his arms, but didn’t want to freak the man out more by showing his innermost feelings. “Calm down, it was just a little screw up,” John said in what he hoped was a tone that would soothe the genius scientists’ nerves.

Rodney’s eyes bulged. “It was NOT JUST A LITTLE SCREW UP!!” Rodney’s face turned red. “How can you say that?! How can you be so, so,” he gestured to John’s whole body,” so CALM!”

John put his hands out and placed on one each of Rodney’s shoulders and tried to lock eyes with the man. Speaking slowly he said, “Rodney, let it go. You fixed it and its okay now.”

This time Rodney sighed and John felt relief course through him. Rodney rubbed his hand over his head and seemed to study the floor, a sure sign he was calming down. Sheppard dropped one of his hands, and leaned over slightly to look Rodney in the eyes. “You okay?”

Rodney looked up, startled at their proximity. His eyes went wide to find he was only centimeters from John’s face. “Uh, yeah, yeah I’m good. I, uh, have to go though, yeah, have to, um, go.” His face turned beet red and grabbing a nearby clipboard he suddenly dashed off as though being chased by the devil himself.

Sheppard frowned putting his hands on his hips, then raised one to rub at his neck. “Now what the hell was that all about?” He shrugged and went to go find Ronon to discuss training.

In an empty room several meters away, Rodney had his back against the wall, and was panting heavily while blushing profusely. “Geez McKay, get a grip!! This Sheppard we’re talking about here!”

Weir strolled into the room and spotted Rodney. “What about Sheppard?” She smiled in amusement, but worry edged the lines around her eyes. John Sheppard was more than her 2IC; he was a friend, a good friend. “Is he okay?”

Rodney chuckled in that high-pitched nervous way he had. “Him? Oh yeah sure when isn’t he okay? Hell, he’s more than okay!” Rodney blushed. “I, uh, have to go.” Rodney ran out of the room causing a draft when he ran past her.

“Rodney!” Weir called after him. She frowned, her lips tightening into a white line. Shaking her head, she turned heading toward the nearest pot of coffee. It was definitely going to be one of those shifts.


Ronon tossed another soldier over his shoulder onto the mat, then stiffened and swiveled looking toward the door, sensing someone behind him. He relaxed only slightly to see Sheppard in the doorway, leaning against the doorjamb looking amused and worried. Ronon cocked an eyebrow then watched as Sheppard seemed to hide the worry and strode forward, “Seems like you have everything under control.”

Ronon frowned. Did this man expect less? Was he being insulted? Seeing the anger flutter under the surface John raised his hands, “Whoa big guy, just checking to see if you needed me. I am not, and I repeat, not looking to wind up, like, well, him,” he gestured toward the man on the mat still gasping for air. Ronon absently gave the gasping man a hand up, never taking his eyes off Sheppard.

“Something is wrong, is it not?” Teyla walked into the room, in her exercise uniform. “Is it Atlantis?” she asked with concern filling her tanned face.

John rubbed the back of his head then gestured with an incline of his head that they should move away from the others in the room. When they reached a quiet corner John looked at them both. “Have you noticed anything strange going on with Rodney?”

Ronon laughed, “Stranger than usual?”

Teyla gave a small crooked smile and her eyes flickered to Ronin in amusement. She turned back to Sheppard. “In what way is McKay acting strangely?”

“He, um, well, he just doesn’t seem comfortable around me. Did he say something to you?” Sheppard asked. He bit his lip a bit after he asked, wondering if he sounded as stupid as he felt. But Ronon and Teyla’s eyes snapped to each other, telling Sheppard in no uncertain terms that something was up –something big. John stood stiffly. He didn’t like not knowing what was going on, especially when it could affect his friend to this degree. “Okay, I saw that. Now spill.”

Teyla smiled that huge fake smile she had when she was trying to cover something up. “I don’t know what you mean.” She batted her eyes.

John growled and turned his attention to Ronon. “If you can’t figure it out, you’re stupider than I gave you credit for,” Ronon snapped. Teyla elbowed him in the ribs, making John shift his attention back to her.

The fake smile was back in place and she shrugged. “Oh don’t mind Ronon, too many blows to the head.” She turned toward the huge man and through clenched teeth said,” Isn’t that right Ronon?”

Ronon was still rubbing his ribs and made a face, “Yeah, right.” He looked back at John, rolled his eyes, shook his head and walked away.

Firing back with a large fake smile of his own, John ground out, “Fine, be that way. I’ll find out what’s going on, one way or another.” Teyla nodded solemnly and watched Sheppard storm off angrily. She exhaled sharply after he left then turning on her heel waved to Ronon to signify she was leaving and did just that. Ten minutes later she found McKay pacing back and forth on a balcony overlooking the water – talking to himself.

Taking a deep breath she strode forward. “It is time. You must tell him. You cannot go on like this. He suspects something is wrong.”

Rodney looked at her incredulously. “What? Are you out of your mind?” Seeing her nostrils flare he continued.” Okay, so you are serious. But what the hell can I say?” He began to pace for a few minutes, changing direction he walked forward to the railing. He gripped it tightly and hung his head, failing to miss the new person who had joined them.

“McKay,” Teyla began to warn him, but John raised a finger to his lips, shaking his head. She frowned and left the scene not wishing to witness what could very well be a very personal moment or a huge fight. “Humans,” she muttered as she brushed by John making him smile.

Oblivious Rodney screamed loudly, releasing pent up frustration. “I mean what the hell do I say? Oh, by the way John, I’ve been in love with you for months? Yeah, I’m just sure that will go over big. He’ll probably blow my head off!”

Behind him a slow, but steady grin lit up Sheppard’s face and pressing a button, he engaged the door lock behind them. In front of him Rodney rubbed a hand over his head, realizing he could have been overheard by the entire station, “Oh geez, yeah I forgot all about that Teyla, thanks.” John strode forward and put a hand on Rodney’s arm.

“Do you know earlier I almost kissed the man!? Can you believe it? I mean what’s wrong with me?” Rodney groaned. “Can you say man overboard? Because he’d toss me out into the water without a second thought, that is if I LIVE THAT LONG!”

“Whatever it is, it’s contagious, maybe we should go see the Doctor,” John teased.

Rodney gasped and spun around, his eyes cast about wildly for Teyla. “Oh no! You didn’t just hear that did you? How long have you been standing there? Okay go ahead, punch me, just get it over with quickly will you?” Rodney gulped and closed his eyes. John chuckled and mentally counted the ten seconds until Rodney, his friend, and hopefully the man who was about to become the something more he’d always hoped for, registered what he’d said. It only took five seconds, after all the man was a genius.

Rodney’s eyes flashed open in shock. A small smile tugged nervously at his lips in a sideways smile. “What? What did you just say? I mean you did just say something right? Or am I hearing things.”

John stepped forward closing the gap between then and put a hand out to either side grasping the cold metal railing, trapping Rodney. He chuckled. “You know, for a genius you sure are slow. I’ve been trying to send you signals for months, but I gave up figuring you weren’t interested.”

Rodney smiled more and began to blush. “Signals? What signals? I mean if there were any…”

He never got to finish the sentence as John claimed his lips suddenly with his own. Rodney gasped and suddenly found that not only was John Sheppard a skilled soldier, but he was one hell of a kisser too. He wrapped his arms around the other man fiercely, sure to leave bruises in his wake, but he suddenly couldn’t get enough of this man, this moment, and this kiss.

John ended the kiss slowly and pulled back with a smirk. “Feel better now?”

“Uh, yeah, well,” Rodney suddenly grinned wickedly, in a way that always made Sheppard’s heart flip.” No actually, not at all. I think I might need more of…” John smiled and pulled Rodney back to him kissing him soundly until he felt Rodney sag against him and bits of him were starting to rise to attention. Knowing this was neither the time, nor place he pulled away again.

“So Rodney, can I convince you to come over to my place later for some more, or do I have to drag you away from whatever project you’re working on?” John smirked.

Rodney smiled happily. “I’ll be there.”

“I have to go,” John whispered before leaning in for one more kiss. Pushing off the cold railing and the warm, strong body in front of him he turned quickly and pressed the button to unlock and open the door. Winking at Rodney over his shoulder he waved and left the balcony.

Rodney’s grin grew. “YES!!!” he shouted punching the air victoriously.

Dr. Weir chose that moment to walk by. Poking her head through the open doorway, she took in the huge grin on the scientists’ face. “Rodney?” she queried amazed at his change of attitude. She entered the doorway fully and crossed her arms over her chest.

Rodney dashed forward and swung her around then almost ran off for the lab mumbling excitedly, while gesturing animatedly. Weir shook her head and smiled, “Men.”

This story archived at http://www.squidge.org/keikokin/viewstory.php?sid=4.