Taste of Love by Keikokin (PG)
Blair is a shaman & has a heightened sense of taste

Categories: Jim/Blair
Characters:
Genres: First Time
Warnings: Alternate Universe
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1
Word count: 1664 - Hits: 2554
Complete?: Yes - Published: 02/01/06 - Last Updated: 02/01/06

1. one shot by Keikokin



one shot by Keikokin
Written for the LJ Cliché challenge
Proofread by Silverhope
Word count: 1641
Sentinel Disclaimer: All characters, places, and objects from The Sentinel belong to Pet Fly Productions, UPN, and Paramount. All stories are written with the love of the show in mind. No copyright infringement is intended









Blair Sandburg, anthropologist and student, was aboard his first 747 winging his way to Peru. He wanted to study the shaman of a certain tribe. It had taken a long time and very delicate work to arrange but here he was at last on his way. Excitement bubbled through him. Despite the length of the flight from Washington State to Peru, he couldn’t sleep.

Instead his nose was buried in books regarding the more interesting techniques and skills some Shaman were reported to have. It was very difficult to believe anyone could actually shape shift or perform healing over long distances but these were some of the more outlandish claims.

Other shamans were reported to be able call forth healing energies through the use of drums, rattles and even symbols of nature. Supposedly a shift of consciousness would enable them to communicate effectively with energies which would enable them to heal others.

Yet, one of the things that Blair was truly intrigued by was mention of the use of “power animals”. From animals they are said to gain insight on what need to be done to heal. This power animal acts like a protector over ones soul and energies as well, while the shaman worked with the injured. It was the reason he had picked this certain tribe was the use of these spirit guides. Blair had been working on his own spiritual growth, yet still felt empty inside. He had hopes this trip would provide him the answers he needed on both an academic and personal level.

Three days later Blair was deep in the jungles about to meet the Shaman he’d traveled so far to see. The Shaman was a very elderly man with kind eyes who looked at Blair with frank appraisal. He gave a slight nod of his head and Blair was welcomed by the Shaman to meet the tribe. Blair’s answering smile said it all.

Within a few weeks Blair had immersed himself into the tribe to point where the line that separated him from them, and connected him to the real world was blurred. Blair wasn’t even sure he wanted to return. Yes, he had collected more than enough information on Shamans and even some on his secret pet interest of Sentinels but he finally felt as if he belonged. That was when it all went wrong.

Blair had just recently discovered with the Shaman’s help that he had a heightened sense of taste. Such a skill, the Shaman relayed to him, could be used by a Shaman to discover the ailments through tasting the blood, analyzing it then tasting the natural herbs to discover which would work the best. Blair had also been a very quick study in the herbal department much to the joy of the Shaman. They were on yet another hike when the Shaman screamed out in agony, as he did a large spotted leopard seemed to leap out of his chest, before the man crumpled to the ground. Blair gasped realizing he just bore witness to a power animal.

Instinctively, Blair yelled out for help, and then tried to resuscitate the Shaman. Feeling he was being watched he looked up to see a man, who could’ve been carved from stone. His heart skipped a beat, as the man helped him up then pointed wordlessly to the Shaman’s power animal. The spotted leopard was standing next to a wolf. Blair frowned wondering where the wolf had come from, just as another part of his mind wondered why he wasn’t scared. He turned to the man in question, for if these were power animals, was this a Sentinel?

The man, turned to look at the wolf, causing Blair’s eyes to follow. Blair’s eyes went wide, he yelled in horror as the wolf knocked him to the ground. The last thing Blair noticed before he lost consciousness was that the wolf had seemed to jump into his chest. The Sentinel smiled in satisfaction then left, taking the body of the Shaman back to the tribe. He later returned to carry Blair to his hut, so when he regained consciousness he would take his place as the new Shaman.

Blair was very successful as Shaman. He was able to let go of his self-interest and pride to take care of others. His heightened sense of taste enabled him to precisely administer just the right herbs to cure all ills. With his power animal, the wolf, he communicated effectively with the surrounding energies to do his work. The outside world was soon forgotten. Blair felt he’d found his true purpose.

Then once again his life was turned around. The Sentinel of their tribe introduced them all to a new Sentinel, a white man from the outside world. When he met the new Sentinel, he felt alive for the first time in his life. His power animal came to his side and Blair was surprised to see the Sentinel’s power animal appear, a beautiful black jungle cat. The two animals circled each other before they seemed to leap together. Blair leaned heavily on his walking stick feeling as though his soul had just undergone a transformation. And it had, the older Sentinel informed him that he was not only the Shaman but now a Guide, to this Sentinel. But more than being told he could feel it, this connection to this man, his Sentinel.

They bonded over long hikes, and taking care of the tribe together. Blair learned the man’s name was Jim, and that he’d been in the military and police force. Then Jim felt the same primitive calling to this place that Blair himself had experienced. They became friends, besides the relationship of Guide and Sentinel. It was when Jim was injured it evolved into more.

Jim had been hiking after a small earthquake had hit the area. The older Sentinel had since passed away and it was now his sole responsibility to find out if the area was still safe for the tribe to travel. Blair expressed his concern but Jim assured him that he’d be fine. Yet, Jim had learned to hone his Sentinel abilities over his months with the tribe and Blair watched him go, apprehensively.

Blair went into his hut to meditate to calm his nerves. But his peace was interrupted by the entrance of Jim’s spirit animal. Blair jumped to his feet immediately. He followed the big cat through the dense jungle until he reached the bottom of a new ravine. His breath caught as he saw Jim’s still body at the center of it. Rushing over he sensed Jim’s life force was eroding away.

In order to save Jim, he’d have to do soul retrieval, something only the most gifted of Shaman had ever accomplished. He’d only been a Shaman less than a year! Blair was so panicked he didn’t realize Jim was trying to speak until his own spirit animal nudged him closer. That’s when he heard the whispered words,” Blair…don’t forget me… I love you.”

Blair closed his eyes as unbidden tears escaped them. He knew now that he had to save this man, this Sentinel, his Sentinel, his Jim. Blair had never realized it up until that point that he loved Jim, but now it was as clear as a jungle night sky. “I won’t ever forget you Jim, because you aren’t leaving because I love you too.”

Calling on his power animal, and Jim’s the nature and elements around him Blair channeled all the energies focusing it into his love. This focused the energies. Blair took a deep breath; he only had a single opportunity to do this. If he failed he would lose the only person he ever truly loved, the tribe would lose their Sentinel and they would all suffer.

He quickly tore open the bag he’d brought with him. Using his almost Sentinel like ability to taste he first licked the long wound along Jim’s side. He closed his eyes analyzing what Jim needed, what was injured and what was still undamaged. Reaching into his bad he quickly tasted an assortment of leaves, bark and powders until he found the exact combination he needed. Grinding it together and adding a bit of water he made a paste of it then applied it to the wound before wrapping a bandage around his patient.

Then he laid his hands reverently on Jim’s chest to begin the soul retrieval. The air crackled around them, as the spirits came to save the Sentinel. His Shaman and Guide channeled it all until white lights sparkled behind his eyes then blackness over took him. He woke in Sentinel’s arms, his lips gently tickling his own as he whispered, “Blair?”

They kissed and it ignited every pore and fiber of his being. Blair felt love, tasted love and it completely enveloped him. As Jim’s tongue reached into his mouth to caress his tongue the explosion of tastes, both Sentinel and Guide almost overwhelmed him. They seemed to merge, combine until the two tastes became as one.

As their eyes connected Blair knew in that moment, in that day, in his life he’d never been a part of something as perfect as the love they had for each other. Between Sentinel, Guide and Shaman they had made something great, very fine and unique a triangle of light and love, as it was meant to be. Their eternity sealed by their hearts.

This story archived at http://www.squidge.org/keikokin/viewstory.php?sid=30.