Investment by Keikokin (PG)
Jack thinks about packing it in.

Categories: Jack/Daniel
Characters:
Genres: First Time
Warnings: Fluff
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1
Word count: 1601 - Hits: 3253
Complete?: Yes - Published: 03/01/06 - Last Updated: 03/01/06

1. one shot by Keikokin



one shot by Keikokin
Season: End of Season 8










*********************
Jack gazed out the back window of George Hammond’s house. His grandchildren and dog were playing in the backyard. George sat down at the table pushing a cup of coffee at Jack.

“It’s good to see you Jack.” George smiled and watched his former 2IC. He knew Jack had come here to talk and he would have to wait it out.

“It hasn’t been the same at the SGC without you, my chair or Davis,” Jack grinned. George nodded in understanding. Jack looked down and then said,” I’m thinking of packing it in.”

“Can’t say I’m surprised,” George sat back; he knew how much Jack had been through. “Why are you just ‘thinking’ about it? What’s keeping you in the big chair?”

“Well, George it’s not a what,” Jack began and suddenly George understood.

“Dr. Jackson,” he chuckled. “You always had a soft spot for him. I take it he doesn’t know.”

“No, and I’m still in the big chair. Crap George, is it worth it to even risk our friendship?”

“Let me ask you something Jack, what plans do you have for retirement?”

“That’s easy, heading up to Minnesota, maybe just keep the house and rent it out. I could fix up the cabin and have a peaceful retirement.” Jack smiled, but it wasn’t an ear-to-ear grin.

“Do you really want to live alone with ‘what if’s” that entire time? There’s nothing like living alone with no where to go to make your regrets come home to roost.”

Jack hung his head, nodding minutely. George put a hand on his shoulder. “He’s a good man, who would never use this against you. I think you’ll always be friends, no matter what.”

They finished their coffee reminiscing over past missions, lost friends and years gone by. At the end they both felt better, lighter for sharing the load. Jack drove home, wondering if he had the courage to do what needed to be done. Changing his mind he made a u-turn and headed for Daniel’s.

**
Daniel came home from base, splashed some water on his face and studied the reflection looking back at him. There were wrinkles and frown lines, a few strands of brown that didn’t look blond, but more like gray. Looking down he saw the small beaded bracelet on his arm that reminded him of Abydos. His heart clenched at the family, friends, culture and world that no longer existed because of him. He felt so ALONE.

No real friends outside of the SGC, no wife, no love life “ nada. What future did he have? Was he really any better off than that day Catherine had given him the Stargate riddle to solve?

Shaking himself out of his ruminations he padded off to the bedroom. He stopped in the doorway looking at the huge bed. It was bought in the hopes that Sha’re and he could share it. If he had only stayed on Abydos would she still be alive? He hung his head.

He turned on his heel walking out to the kitchen to make some exotic coffee. As it brewed he smiled remembering that Jack had bought the mix for his birthday. Thinking of Jack brought a whole other whirlwind of thoughts to wallow in, thoughts of longing.

As he raised the mug to his lips a knock came to the door. He walked over and opened it, surprised to see Jack standing there. Although he supposed he shouldn’t be, it wasn’t like anyone else came to visit him besides Jack, Sam or Teal’c.

Jack's POV

Oh god, he looks so tired. He should be getting some rest but nope that’s coffee in his hand. Danny, what’s wrong? You look so sad. But you’ve been looking sad ever since you became a widower. My fault, I promised you we’d save her and we didn’t.

“You have some more of that?” I ask pointing to the coffee in his hand.

“Sure Jack,” Daniel walks ahead of me toward the kitchen and I notice he’s limping slightly.

“How did the mission go with SG-11?” I see his shoulders shrug.

“Oh you know I want to stay at the ruins, told to leave then get chased out by aliens with guns. I wrenched my leg hauling ass out of there.” Daniel pours me a mug of coffee as I nod in understanding. “I miss Janet.”

Daniel's POV

Jack’s got something on his mind. There was a time when I’d poke and prod to get it out of him, but I’ve learned over the years that Jack will talk when he’s good and ready. I hate to admit how great it is to see him, the last mission was hell. It’s not the same without him watching my six. Trust him to notice my limp straight away. Janet would have handled it better. The medical staff seems so cold now.

I shouldn’t have said anything about Janet. Jack keeps blaming himself for that, thinking that he should have died instead of her. I reach over to pat Jack on the shoulder and he seems relieved by the simple gesture. How long has it been since I’ve done that? Probably since we’ve been on the team together, damn I miss those days.

**
“So where did you go this afternoon? I thought you’d be there when we returned.” Daniel asked sitting down on an overstuffed chair.

“Went to go see George,” Jack grinned.

Daniel’s face lit up. “Really? How is he?”

“Good, good he says ‘hello’, and next time I should bring you,” Jack admitted.

“I’d like that; I miss “Hammond of Texas,” both men laughed rubbing their heads in the gesture that Master Bra’tac always used.

The laughter was easy and flowing as it should be between two friends. Unfortunately, in their line of work there was never enough of that. A smile was shared between them.

“So what else did you talk about?” Daniel asked. “Besides me I mean.”

“Actually, we talked about you a lot,” Jack admitted feeling a knot of unease grow in his stomach. He looked down into his coffee wishing it was a beer. “I need to tell you something, and he helped me realize I should just do it.”

“Jack?”

“Daniel, how long are you thinking of staying with the program?”

“Um, funny you should mention that. I’ve been thinking a lot about leaving it, the area even, nothing firm yet, just thoughts. Why?”

“I was thinking of retiring and heading up to the cabin. You know fix it up; have some quiet time just kicking back. But it would be better to share it with someone,” Jack looked at Daniel meaningfully. He looked searchingly into the blue eyes staring back watching his words take hold. Plunging in he said the rest,” You.”

“You mean it don’t you?” Daniel asked softly knowing the other man did, but needing to ask nonetheless. Jack nodded. “Am I misunderstanding? You of all people, you want me to go with you?” Another nod. Daniel got up and left the room. Jack wasn’t sure why so he followed only to find Daniel pulling out suitcases.

“Daniel, is this a yes?” Jack grinned.

“That’s what I like about you Jack, always right on top of things.” Daniel chuckled then noticed he was alone in his amusement. Turning to look at Jack he wondered for a moment if the other man had changed his mind. Jack was staring down at his feet. “There’s more isn’t there?”

“I was, um, hoping we could maybe work on being more that friends Danny,” Jack said softly. “That’s up to you.”

Daniel sat down on his oversize bed, “More than friends Jack?”

“Crap Daniel, I’m not good with this, you’re the linguist not me. George saw it, why don’t you?”

“Saw what?”

“For crying out loud, how I feel about you Spacemonkey!” Jack blurted out. He closed his eyes in horror at how that had come out.

“How do you feel about me Jack?” Daniel had to know. If he was going to toss everything aside to follow Jack up to the cabin, he needed to know how Jack felt “ if it was the same thing he was feeling.

Jack smiled,” How about we figure all that out in Minnesota, ya know how much I love you and all that yadda, yadda.”

“How much you love me huh?” Daniel grinned. “Sure thing Jack, as long as it takes, and never look back.”

“Never look back,” Jack closed the gap between them for the kiss he’d waited eight years for; he wasn’t disappointed by the return on his investment.

fin

This story archived at http://www.squidge.org/keikokin/viewstory.php?sid=102.