State of Mind by Keikokin (G)
As Sam lies dying, Jack admits his feelings. But not for her. 

Categories: Jack/Daniel
Characters: None
Genres: First Time, Hurt/Comfort
Warnings: Fluff, OOC
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1
Word count: 1624 - Hits: 1812
Complete?: Yes - Published: 18/10/09 - Last Updated: 18/10/09
Story Notes:
Written: June 28, 2005 under my other pen name of Kenaf.
Disclaimer: SG1 is not mine. No maliciousness is intended in any way, shape or form. No profit is being made from this work of fanfiction.

1. Chapter 1 by Keikokin



Chapter 1 by Keikokin
Author's Notes:
This is more of a pre-slash. Please if I have this posted elsewhere on this site under another name, please let me know. May be posted at the Cartouche under Kenaf. 
Daniel watched Jack tear himself apart as Sam lay dying on the table. There were tubes attached to her, helping her to breathe but she wasn’t really alive. Despite being lovers on and off for years, Daniel didn’t know what to do for Jack. It was Jack’s indescribable relationship with Sam that kept sabotaging their relationship time and time again. Daniel knew that he loved Jack, but Jack refused to commit to declaring any emotion. Instead he would show a great deal of emotion toward Sam, as he was doing right now, and it would cause a rift between them that would take months to mend.

Sometimes Jack would just show up on Daniel’s doorstep in the middle of the night, needing him. Knowing how hard it was for Jack to do that Daniel would accept him with open arms each time. This would in turn start things up again, just as hot and passionate as the first time. As Daniel watched Jack hovering over Sam he wondered if Jack would be arriving on his doorstep once more when this reached its inevitable conclusion.

Seeing Teal’c enter the observation room Daniel said,” Hey Teal’c.”

“DanielJackson, is Major Carter the same?”

“Yes, she is.”

“That is most unfortunate.” Teal’c took a step closer into Daniel’s personal space.

“Teal’c?”

The Jaffa cleared his throat then began to speak in a hushed tone.” This must be very hard on you.”

Daniel looked at Teal’c, looked away, then back again. “It’s hard on everyone.”

“Undoubtedly, O’Neill will need you.”

“Uh, um, what do…?”

“I believe you to know exactly what I mean.”

Daniel sighed then put his arms around himself. “Yeah.”

“They have a most unusual relationship. It has taken me a very long time to analyze it. Would you like to hear my summation?”

“Why not.”

“When O’Neill returned to the program, before he met me, he suffered the loss of his child. This caused a tear in the fabric of his marriage. Because he was away on Abydos he was not able to repair his marriage.”

“Jack once told me that he could never forgive himself but sometimes he could forget but Sara was the opposite, she could forgive him but never forget.”

“It was unfortunate. I believe because of this, when he met Captain Carter, he saw her as a substitute for his wife. Not romantically, but in the sense she not only physically resembles her but because she was strong, yet very vulnerable. Since O’Neill failed in protecting his wife he too those feelings and instead saw in her the need to protect again.” Daniel reached behind him for a chair and sat down shakily into it. “Are you unwell DanielJackson?”

“No...I …I’m fine. I just never thought of it like that. Please go on.” Daniel gave a wave with one hand for Teal’c to continue.

“As you wish. Major Carter needs protection whether she is willing to recognize it or not. Then you came along. As a fellow man, he did not readily see that you needed protection. Then when you saved his life, you gained his respect. He has a very hard time balancing his need to protect her and differentiating it from the love he once felt and perhaps in some way still holds for his former wife.”

“But how does that explain his need for …” Daniel pointed to himself.

“He sees your strength and your ability to take an outpouring of emotion. This is why he comes to you in his most desperate and dark times. He cannot express his emotion because he is confused by what he feels for Major Carter.”

“So you are saying that until Jack recognizes his displaced emotions he can’t recognize the true nature of his feelings?” Teal’c nodded. “But then how can I get him to see …that?”

“Perhaps if O’Neill discovers that some one else is protecting and caring for Major Carter he can let release this.” Teal’c smiled.

Daniel jumped up and put his hands on the man’s shoulders. “This is great! You and …” Daniel inclined his head toward Sam. Teal’c nodded.

“Oh wow, listen, I’m sure Sam will be fine,” Daniel offered.

“She has a great spirit, reminding me greatly of my wife.”

Daniel smiled, “Yes, I can understand that.”

“In the words of Luther Vandross, “When you can’t be with the one you love…”

“Love the one you’re with,” Daniel grinned. Teal’c nodded.

It was a very long day for SG-1. But in the end Sam was saved. And sure enough at 1 a.m. Jack showed up at Daniel’s door. “Hey.”

“Come in, I’ve been expecting you,” Daniel opened the door wider and walked toward the kitchen to heat up some coffee.

“Um aren’t we missing something here Daniel?” Jack asked in confusion.

“What do you mean?” Daniel sighed leaning against the counter.

“I piss you off, then I come back, you make me grovel, THEN you make me a cup of coffee before I get to hold you all night.” Jack scratched his head.

“Some thing has happened Jack.” Daniel put his arms around his chest.

“Who is he? I’ll kill him,” Jack growled.

Daniel smiled then broke into laughter. “You know, that was kind of sweet Jack. But no, it’s not that. Did you know Sam is dating someone? “

“What? Who? Why haven’t I met him?”

“Yes Jack and he can take care of her almost better than you. Or are you saying that even Teal’c isn’t good enough?”

Jack’s eyebrows shot straight up into his hairline. “Teal’c and …Carter? But…But he’s married.”

“So am I Jack. Sam understands Teal’c situation, just as you understand mine. Or at least I thought you did.”

“Ah Daniel, let’s not beat that horse again, okay. I told you I’d step aside for Sha’re.”

Daniel stepped forward and took Jack’s hands in his own. He stared at them for a moment then looked back up. “But will you step aside for Teal’c to have Sam?”

“For crying out loud Daniel, how many times do I have to tell you I’m not WITH Carter!” Jack yelled angrily pulling his hands away.

“Part of you is you feel a need to protect her. Jack you can’t make a 100% commitment because you aren’t 100% here. Part of you is with her. But she’s Teal’c’s responsibility now. Can you let him watch over her when she’s sick, protect her off world and stop trying to make her some replacement for Sara?”

“What the hell are you talking about Daniel?” Jack groused.

Taking a deep breath Daniel relayed everything that Teal’c had told him earlier. “I don’t understand all that psycho mumbo-jumbo Daniel.”

“Do you remember when you first wanted to get together?”

“Yeah, you turned me down flat. You said it was too soon after Sha’re had disappeared.”

“Yes, I said that because I didn’t want to try to replace her with you.”

“So you are saying I replaced Sara with Carter?”

“You have to admit they have a lot in common, strong women, short blond hair, military understanding and concern for you.” Jack sank into a chair putting his head into his hands. Daniel sighed and made the coffee for Jack and himself. He walked out to the sitting room and placed the coffee in front of Jack, sitting it on top of a coaster carefully. He sat down at the baby grand in the other room, putting his coffee on the coaster there and began to play a soft tune allowing Jack to think.

After playing through his favorite pieces and drinking his coffee, Daniel walked back out to the sitting room. He sat carefully next to Jack, who was deep in thought, so he wouldn’t startle him. “Jack,” Daniel whispered.

Daniel was startled to see Jack look up with tears in his eyes. “Gawd Daniel. I’m such an idiot.”

“No you aren’t Jack. You’re amazing. So do you think you can let her go?”

“That would depend on one thing.”

“What’s that Jack?” Daniel asked placing a hand on Jack’s thigh.

“If you can forgive an old man for not giving you 100 percent?” Jack covered Daniels’ hand with his own.

“I love you Jack,” Daniel said softly.

“I love you Doctor Jackson,” Jack replied with a nervous smile.

“What?” Daniel gasped.

“I love you. I’m sorry I never said it before but I was confused and now it makes so much sense. I love you; somehow I’ve always loved you.” Jack cupped Daniel’s face in his hands, wiping away Daniel’s tears with his thumbs as they ran out from under his glasses. When he was done wiping them off he reached up and gently took the glasses off. “No more on and off again Danny, this time it’s forever.” Jack whispered before kissing Daniel for the first time in months.

Daniel moaned at the wonderful, sweet taste of Jack exploding over his taste buds. As always it was like the very first kiss they’d ever shared. When the kiss ended Jack stood holding out a hand to Daniel. They walked hand in hand toward the bedroom, exchanging lust filled looks along the way. Jack grinned and walked into the bedroom first. Daniel took a moment to close the door behind them, thinking with a smile that he really had to thank Teal’c.

This story archived at http://www.squidge.org/keikokin/viewstory.php?sid=1019.