Leave Me With a Smile by Keikokin (PG)
Post-dissertation, Blair decides to leave Cascade. 

Categories: Jim/Blair
Characters: None
Genres: First Time, One-shot
Warnings: Fluff, OOC
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1
Word count: 1081 - Hits: 2257
Complete?: Yes - Published: 22/01/09 - Last Updated: 22/01/09
Story Notes:
This is a short, one-shot of fluff. UNBOUND

1. Chapter 1 by Keikokin



Chapter 1 by Keikokin



“If you ever get back to Cascade Chief, just let me know.” Jim said the words he’d been rehearsing in his mind. But it seemed to be so pat, when he wanted to scream how much he loved the young man who had become his Guide, his partner and his life.

The dissertation had been a disaster of monumental proportions. Now Blair had packed up and was moving out. An old friend had called telling of a new dig thousands of miles away and Jim hated being able to use his Sentinel hearing for that particular call.

Blair looked up at him curiously. There was a new light in his eyes, which bespoke his excitement at the idea of an old, cobweb covered dig. But just like that Jim watched it wink out to be replaced by a stone, cold curtain of no emotions at all. Jim wished Blair had never learned that cop trick. He’d rather Blair leave with a smile. Was that too much to ask for having his heart torn out? Or having his life turned upside down?

Jim couldn’t help but wonder, what might have been as he watched Blair load up a friend’s truck with his belongings. Would they ever see each other again? Would Blair ever be that carefree guy he used to be? Couldn’t Blair, intuitive, sensitive caring Blair see the love written all over his face? Should he come on stronger? Or would that just make Blair leave with a smile of amusement instead? Would Blair find the whole situation comical? Or not even take him seriously. Jim figured it would be the last one.

Blair simply nodded, waved and left.

Jim’s heart lay in little, itty bitty pieces on the sidewalk. After staring after Blair until even his Sentinel sight could no longer make out more than a dot. It took a bit longer to stop listening for Blair’s heartbeat. With a sigh of regret, he guessed it was time to let Blair go before he ruined what little relationship they still had left.

He went back into the now empty loft. Its silence was deafening. The scent of Blair lingered in the air and pain lanced through Jim’s heart. It shot through his arm. Dizziness and nausea overtook him and he felt like he was about to have a heart attack. But Jim knew it was worse than that.

Blair Sandburg was gone.

HE WAS GONE AND HE JUST LET HIM GO!???

With an angry curse, Jim grabbed the keys to the truck and raced back down the stairs. Deciding it was an emergency he slapped the police light on top of the truck and raced against time. If Blair got on that plane he could kiss his heart goodbye forever. He could deal with Simon later, the day that Blair didn’t mean everything to him. That was not today. Tomorrow wasn’t looking good either.

Jim skidded to a halt in front of the terminal and flashed his badge at security then flipped them the keys. He began to run for all he was worth, running almost full out and blind through the airport.

“Jim?” Blair’s voice stopped him in his tracks and he spun so fast he almost fell over. “What are you doing here man?” Jim belatedly realized that he was grinning like a loon and that only Blair’s strong grip on his arm had stopped him from kissing the floor.

“Hi Blair.”

Blair frowned. “Hi Blair? Okay, I’ll play along Big Guy. Hi Jim. What brings you to the airport today?”

“Hi Chief.” Jim cursed his mojo that had taken him from the smoothness of peanut butter to the gravel of kitty litter. He couldn’t seem to get anything coherent now. It was perfect timing to just let Blair put the pieces together. “I found you.”

“Okay. So you were looking for me. Did I forget something?” Blair’s confusion was clear on his face as he shifted the bag on his shoulder and looked at his watch.

“Me.” Jim managed to get out and just tried to stare the multiple layers of meaning into Blair’s already crammed cranium.

It only took a moment. “I forgot you?” Jim nodded like an idiot. Guh, if they ever did manage to have a relationship from this he’d never live the ribbing down. Somehow this didn’t dissuade him and he felt his grin grow into a decent impression of Goofy. Blair’s head tilted and Jim could swear he could see smoke running hot through Blair’s beautiful head.

“You think I’m beautiful?” Blair was smiling now. Jim’s eyes grew wide as he realized he’d said the last bit out loud. Blair’s smile grew and Jim knew that Blair knew that he had lost his inner monologue. God, in a minute or less he’d simply shrink into nothingness out of sheer horror. But his body had turned in on the Blair factor too and he was nodding better than any hula doll in a taxi. “Really?” Blair put the bag down. He laughed out loud then kissed Jim on the cheek.

Jim mentally sacked his future career as a cop when he grabbed Blair and hauled him in for a kiss. Some passersby made rude comments and others whistled but all Jim could do was hold on so he didn’t zone on the softness of those plump lips, the volume of hair curled around his fingers, the scent of his Guide and the blessed beating of his heart. Eventually, Blair gained control and pushed Jim off of him. He looked around wildly. “Man! Of all times to finally decide you want me, you do it in a public airport where your career could be flushed?”

To Jim’s eternal horror he was bobbing his head again. Blair smiled and starting walking toward the exit with his bag in tow. “Blair?” Jim asked hopefully.

“I’m certain that no matter what we shouldn’t take this any further here. Let’s go home.” Jim blinked as he watched Blair walk toward the truck with a blinding smile of happiness. He closed his eyes and felt his heart slide back into its place.

A strange hand touched his arm lightly. He looked up to see a young guy in a rainbow shirt smiling at him. “Dude, he’s getting away.” The young man pointed toward Blair.

Jim patted the kid on the shoulder in thanks and shook his head as he ran off after his heart amidst whistles. “Never again!”

 

 


This story archived at http://www.squidge.org/keikokin/viewstory.php?sid=1002.