Needs and Wants The House Fan Fiction Archive Home Quicksearch Search Engine Random Story Upload Story   Needs and Wants by Jess724 This is my first House fic, and it's pretty short, but I thought I would upload it anyway. Just to see what people thought of it, and to get some input on my writing. So please, when reviewing, be gentle. ********** It is Christmas time again, and just like any other time Greg House wanted to drown out his surroundings, he went to his beloved black grand piano. To try to drown out thoughts and feelings through the tense energy of his long and bony fingers. In the office, House showed no emotion whatsoever, except for the occasional snarky comment towards one of his "ducklings". He put up a wall, one that no one could break down, or even begin to crumble. There's only one person who House allows past that wall, which is Dr. James Wilson. Head of the oncology department of Princeton Plainsboro Teaching Hospital, who also happened to be House's only friend. He is able to put up with House in a way other people are not be able to. Most of all, House let's Wilson in. He shares his feelings, thoughts, and sometimes even his emotions with Wilson. House's character is released when around Wilson, which is an important matter so House doesn't take his bottled up emotions out on something futile. It's a delicate friendship, but one that won't be broken because the friendship is needed and wanted by both. House is stopped during the middle of a beautiful blues melody by someone knocking on the door. He automatically knows who is standing uneasily on the other side of the door, one hand in a pocket, the other holding a pack of beer. He reaches for his cane that has been gently leaning against the glassy lacquer of his grand, and hobbles slowly towards the front door. Turning the door knob, he opens the door and lets James Wilson in welcomely. "I was wondering when you'd get here." House said knowingly. "You knew I was coming?" Wilson asked not too surprised, since House always seems to know things like this about him. It's almost as if House has a GPS system inside his mind. "You slept in your office the past two nights, and brought extra clothes for those nights. There's no way people intentionally sleep in their office unless they find their small lumpy couch unbelievably comfortable, or they are trying to avoid going home. I'm assuming the latter and also that there was another blow-up with Julie." House explained pointedly. Wilson's response was to collapse onto the soft leather couch in House's living room with a sigh. He handed a beer to House, and popped the top off another one for himself. House threw a questioning look towards Wilson, hoping he would elaborate about his actions the past couple of days.. "I don't want to talk about it." "Right. Of course not." House said condescendingly. "Greg, please, I just want to relax a little without being prodded about my wife." Wilson explained exasperated. He never used House's first name unless he was being serious, or was trying to get his point across the first time he said something. "Fine, at least you didn't get cheap beer this time." House retorted. Wilson's visits were becoming more and more frequent, which was a symptom towards the end of Wilson's other two marriages. He knew he'd get him to talk sometime, but most likely after some pizza, a few beers, and a game on tv. Until then, they would just sit and enjoy the presence of their friendship before having an argument. Arguments between them were never small nor soundless. They always seemed to build up into bigger altercations, but that is the nature of House. No matter what happens though, their friendship will never be broken, because it is needed and wanted by both. ~END~   Please post a comment on this story. Legal Disclaimer: The authors published here make no claims on the ownership of Dr. Gregory House and the other fictional residents of Princeton-Plainsboro Teaching Hospital. Like the television show House (and quite possibly Dr. Wilson's pocket protector), they are the property of NBC/Universal, David Shore and undoubtedly other individuals of whom I am only peripherally aware. The fan fiction authors published here receive no monetary benefit from their work and intend no copyright infringement nor slight to the actual owners. We love the characters and we love the show, otherwise we wouldn't be here.