Title: Never Thought Author: Zruda_Trinact Email: Zruda_Trinact@Hotmail.co.uk Website: www.livejournal.com/users/Zruda_Trinact Rating: PG 13 Fandom: House M.D Pairings: House/Wilson Category: House POV. Romance. Spoilers: None Warnings: None Summary: Trouble in the House/Wilson residence. The song used in this fic is called 'Brand New Day' by Forty Foot Echo. Disclaimer: I just write this for fun, I'm certainly not making money, and I don't mean anything by it. -------------------------------------------------------------- I glance at the time at the corner of the computer screen. 03:42. I pulled the short straw, but this time it doesn't matter. It means I don't have to go home to him. Means I don't have to try and avoid him in our one bed-roomed apartment, pretend everything's okay. I turn back towards the large plate glass windows behind me. Not many lights on now, just lamps decorating the parking lot beneath me, and street lights in the distance. When we first got together, everyone was so surprised. After all, four failed marriages between us doesn't exactly scream 'homosexual'. But they were accepting of us, didn't treat us any different. Except Cameron, although everyone knew she had a slight crush on me, no-one knew she felt as strongly as she did. She put in for a transfer as soon as she found out, and Cuddy didn't want to make her stay, knowing the tension and problems it could cause. I was always wary of starting a relationship with him. I mean, he's a colleague, a confident, my best friend... and he's had more affairs than he has patients. But it just felt so right. -------------------------------------------------------------- Never thought I'd say I'm sorry, Never thought I'd be the one to bring you down. Now when I look out my window, But there doesn't seem to be anyone around. -------------------------------------------------------------- I wake up with a start, as my leg jolts in pain, turning back around towards the computer; I grab the bottle of Vicodin off of the table, and quickly swallow a few. I look up out of my office, and notice its now daylight. The clock on the computer now tells me its 08:59, and just as the image changes to 09:00, Chase knocks on my office door. Set your watch by the boy, you really could. I pull myself to my feet, grabbing my cane from the side of my desk, as I wave him in. "Any change?" He asks me, referring to our current case. I shake my head and pick up a file. "No. See what you can make of these. I'm going home." I say to him, thrusting the test results at him, and make my escape before he asks anything else. I grab the newspaper from the doorstep, and quietly enter our flat, I know it's his day off, and he rarely surfaces before mid-day given half the chance. I grab a bottle of water from the fridge, and sink down onto the sofa, newspaper in hand. A quick flick through the first few pages, assures me I won't find anything interesting in today's news, and I head towards the bathroom. I sit on the toilet as I strip out of my clothes, dumping them into the laundry bin, and in my boxers and undershirt, move back into the living room, laying on the couch and throwing a blanket over myself. -------------------------------------------------------------- And I, I think I'll change my ways, So all your words get noticed, Tomorrow's a brand new day. Tomorrow's a new day. -------------------------------------------------------------- A clattering behind me wakes me up with a start, and I'm half way standing up before the pain in my leg stops me. I groan in pain, and in realisation that my pills are still on my desk at the hospital. "Sorry." He mutters, before he picks up the fallen plate, and toast off of the floor, before placing it on the sideboard. "Doesn't matter. Need pills." I say, as I twist onto my back and throw my arm over my eyes. "Where are they?" He asks, moving to the back of the sofa. "Office." I grunt. "More in there." I reply, by waving in the direction of the bathroom with my free hand. "Go to bed, and I'll get them." He sighs at me. I pointedly don't move off of the sofa, but sit up, swinging my good leg onto the floor, and gentling placing my other leg onto the table. He shakes his head at me as he sits on the coffee table, next to my leg. He shakes out two pills before replacing the lid, and handing them to me, along with the bottle of water on the coffee table. I sigh in relief as I feel the meds coursing through my body, and slowly start to relax, my eyes drifting shut and my head rolling back, braced on the top of the sofa. -------------------------------------------------------------- We said we'd take a little time, For both of us to see, And wonder what it'd be like to carry on. -------------------------------------------------------------- "I've been thinking." He announces, and my eyes dart open, focussing on the ceiling in front of them. "Maybe I should go and stay with my sister for a bit... I've got some holiday owed, and it might give us a break for a while..." My head rockets forward and my eyes meet with his for the first time since the hospital roof three days ago. "So that's your strategy? Run away like a little boy? Did any of your wives do that in the same situation? Or is it what you always do?" I shout at him, getting to my feet and limping over to the kitchen area, grabbing onto the back off the sofa for support, and the counter tops as soon as I'm within reach. I wrench open the refrigerator, and grab a beer off of the second shelf, not caring its only 1pm. "I've never been in this situation before!" He hollers at me. "I don't know what to do!" "Well you must know the fucking procedure by now! Surely you've been through it enough times!" I retort. He hunches over, and his head drops into his hands. I put the beer back in the fridge, and slowly move back over towards the soda. I pick up my cane from where I left it, leaning against the bookcase, and I tug his shoulder towards the bedroom, yet he pulls away leaving my hand suspended in mid air. Alone, I make my way into the bedroom, and almost collapse onto the edge of the bed. A few shuffling movements later, and I've arranged myself sitting on the end of the bed, facing the doorway. He moves into my line of sight, but his head is still down, and I can see the redness in his eyes. ------------------------------------------------------------- Yeah I know I got crazy, Well I guess that's just me, If I could turn back time before the wrong. -------------------------------------------------------------- "Why her though? Why not Cameron? Or even Cuddy for fucks sake! Why did it have to be Stacy?" he asks me, looking up at me with steely determination. "We'd been planning it for ages." I start to tell him, "Waiting for an opportunity to turn up where I'd need her legal assistance so we could pretend to need more time together. We'd book a hotel, champagne, strawberries, everything..." I tell him, my voice getting louder and more strained with each word. "I mean, the opportunity was there when that kid's parents started suing Chase..." I take a deep breath and look up at him. "Do you really think it happened like that? Do you really think I planned it in minute detail just to hurt you? Do you really think the world revolves around you that much? It happened. I had sex with her. Now get over it!" "I am! I mean..." He sighs and paces up and down in front of the bed. "If it was some random hooker with huge tits, I could understand it. But she's your ex-wife for fucks sake! You love her!" He hollers at me. "Loved." I correct him. "I don't love her. I haven't loved her since she chose whatshisname over me." "Mark." He whispers at me "I know what his damn name is!" I shout. "I just don't care about him. Or her. All I care about is you." I tell him, looking up at him as he stops his pacing. He's facing away from me, but I can see his face in the mirror. His eyes are closed, but I can see the tears streaming down his face again. I grab my cane, and struggle to my feet, moving behind him. -------------------------------------------------------------- And I, I think I'll change my ways, So all your words get noticed, Tomorrow's a brand new day. Tomorrow's a new day. -------------------------------------------------------------- "Jimmy?" I ask him softly. "Don't go." I'm caught in a whirlwind as he spins round, almost knocking me to the ground, and grabbing me in a bear hug, before slamming me into a wall. "You are SUCH a bastard." He tells me, but I can see light behind his eyes, where for the past three days there had been none. "I know. But you love me anyway. Dont'cha Jimmy?" I reply. I barely have time to brace myself, before he relaxes his hold on me, and I suddenly have to support my own weight again. "Yes. You know I do. But after all I've done for you? I've changed who I am for you! I haven't been with anyone but you for the past two years!" He screams at me, "I've never done that before! Never been able to stay true to someone, until now." "I know." I say solemnly. There's not really much I can say to that. He has changed who he is. He's no longer the serial cheat he once was. Not so much as a passing glance at the pretty little nurses, or a longing look at a DD patient. "But like you said, I'm a bastard. All I can do is stand here telling you over and over again, that it won't happen again. But you know I won't do that, and I know it wouldn't do any good if I did." He nods, releases me, and I slowly limp back into the front room. As I sit back down on the sofa, I hear rummaging in the bedroom. `Oh god.' I think to myself. `This is it, he's packing his suitcase. He's leaving. Well done Greg, you've fucked everything up again. Why can't you just stop being such a prick and behave like a normal person for once?' I lean forward and brace my head in my hands, and wait for him to come out of the bedroom, and announce he's going to his mothers, or his sisters or whatever. "I thought we could open this." He says. My head shoots up and my eyes focus on a bottle of scotch. "I was saving it for our first anniversary, but since I forgot when it was, and I have no idea when our second is, we might as well open it now." He sinks down on the sofa next to me, and cracks open the bottle. Taking a swig, he passes it to me, and I inspect the label. Nice. "Well since our second anniversary was about two months ago, I agree." I tell him, taking a long hard drink from the bottle, and watching him out the corner of my eye. He blushes, and wriggles in his chair. I screw the top back onto the bottle, and put it on the floor in front of me. We both put our legs up onto the table, and I snuggle up next to him as he throws an arm around my shoulders. -------------------------------------------------------------- And I, I think I'll change my ways, So all your words get noticed, I think I'll change my ways. -------------------------------------------------------------- I wake up as I hear a car screech outside. I notice he's looking down at me, and that I now have a blanket covering me, and that I'm stretched out on the sofa, with my head on his lap. I must have really been out of it if I hadn't felt him move my leg. Without saying anything, he passes me my pills, and some water, and I push myself up to take them, before laying back down on his lap. "You know," I say, as I look up at him. "I never thought I'd say `I'm sorry' for cheating on someone. Never thought I'd be the one cheating. Never thought you'd be the one I was saying it to." "I know. Me too." He tells me, running his hands through my hair. "But I'm glad it is." He leans down and kisses me, and I have to agree with him. I'm glad he's the one I have to say sorry to. -------------------------------------------------------------- Never thought I'd say I'm sorry Never thought I'd be the one To bring you down --------------------------------------------------------------