Always Amazing The House Fan Fiction Archive Home Quicksearch Search Engine Random Story Upload Story   Always Amazing by kishijoten Robert Chase leaned against the sinks in the mens' room around the corner from the Diagnostics Department and stared at himself in the mirror. He wanted to smash his fists against the glass, hammer at the man he saw reflected back at him. Today, he hated that man. He heard the door opening even before he saw it, reflected in the mirror, and he lowered his head until he was sure his masque was firmly back in place. "I thought you were done waiting for House's approval." Chase glanced up through his fringe to see Dr. Wilson leaning sideways against the sinks beside him, watching him. He could only see Wilson's profile in the mirror, so he was unable to see the other man's expression. But there had been hints of both compassion and humor in his voice - neither of which Chase was sure he could handle at the moment. He took a deep breath and looked back up at the mirror, at his own reflection, some glib remark on the tip of his tongue. Instead, he heard himself saying, "Not everything is about House." Wilson turned toward the mirror, his eyes on Chase's reflection. He looked puzzled. "So you're not hiding in the mens' room because of what House said to you just now?" Chase closed his eyes and gave his head an almost imperceptible shake. "I should be used to it by now. I thought I was, actually." He opened his eyes again, looking at his reflection and avoiding meeting Wilson's gaze in the mirror. "But then, I guess everyone has a limit to how much shit he can take." He could see Wilson nodding his agreement. "Apparently mine is thirty years of not being good enough." He lowered his gaze as Wilson straightened, wishing he could take his words back. Why, exactly, was he talking about his feelings, anyway? "Chase...." "My best couldn't save my Mum," Chase heard himself saying. "It was certainly never good enough for my father." He gave a wry chuckle. "And we both know that no one's best is good enough for House." He paused for a moment, and then added more quietly, "I'm not good enough for Cameron, either." "I'm sure that's not...." "It is," Chase snapped. "It is true." He closed his eyes and rubbed at them wearily. "She told me that we should sleep together because out of all the people she works with, I was the one she was least likely to fall in love with. And I was stupid enough to go along with it." "And you fell in love with her." Chase sighed. "I wanted more. I thought, based on how things had been between us, that there was more there than just sex. Apparently I was wrong." Wilson turned to lean with his back against the sink. From the corner of his eye, Chase could see him raise one hand to his face. "You just wanted different things." "Riiiight." Beside him, Wilson exhaled sharply, the sound somehow managing to convey a great deal of frustration, and pushed himself away from the sink. He stepped behind Chase and made eye contact in the mirror before Chase could look away. "You were just a kid when your mom died. Maybe your best wasn't good enough to save her, but it's damn near impossible to save those who don't want to be saved." Chase blinked rapidly, but didn't break eye contact. "Your father...I know he never told you, but he was proud of you, Chase. He was just too...messed up to know how to show it." "You don't know that." "Yes, I do. He talked to me about you. That he never said the words to you - that's his failing, Chase, not yours." Chase did look away then, for a moment. He glanced back when Wilson huffed a laugh. "Do I even need to mention House?" Wilson's reflection asked, grinning slightly. Chase couldn't help the slightest upturn of his own mouth in response. "House is...House. I doubt he'll ever tell you what he really thinks about you. But I do know this: if he really thought you were as incompetent as he pretends to, you wouldn't still be working for him." Wilson smiled again as Chase nodded in understanding and agreement. He took a deep breath before continuing. "As for Allison...she has to be the biggest fool out of all of them. You're everything most women want: you're smart, and good-looking; compassionate; you've got a sense of humor; and you're great with kids." He paused for a moment. "If Cameron can't see that, she's blind. And if she sees it and threw it away, she's the biggest idiot I've ever met." Chase looked away again, his jaw clenched, but Wilson wasn't done. He tilted Chase's head up again with the barest touch to his chin. "You're an amazing person, Chase. Don't ever let anyone make you doubt that." Wilson held his gaze for a moment, a dozen emotions flitting across his face, and then he strode away, leaving Chase alone with those parting words echoing through his mind. ** AN: The story's title - and the inspiration for this story - came from Ocianic's song "Always Amazing" (http://www.ocianic.com/main/lyrics/amazinglyrics.html).   Please post a comment on this story. Legal Disclaimer: The authors published here make no claims on the ownership of Dr. Gregory House and the other fictional residents of Princeton-Plainsboro Teaching Hospital. Like the television show House (and quite possibly Dr. Wilson's pocket protector), they are the property of NBC/Universal, David Shore and undoubtedly other individuals of whom I am only peripherally aware. The fan fiction authors published here receive no monetary benefit from their work and intend no copyright infringement nor slight to the actual owners. We love the characters and we love the show, otherwise we wouldn't be here.