Objects in Place The House Fan Fiction Archive Home Quicksearch Search Engine Random Story Upload Story   Objects in Place by finickyfeline2 Objects in Place (1/?) finickyfeline2 Rating: Um...pg, I guess. AN: This started out as a drabble and kind of spawned. It's a compilation of character studies done through objects and their placement, basically. I wrote it before "DNR" aired, so some details may be non-canon. Disclaimer: The characters and setting from House, M.D. do not belong to me. However, Cuddy's dried fruit is mine. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Dr. House always has his Vicodin and his cane. He keeps his keys in the desk, to resist the temptation to leave. Other things in the desk include an old pair of Wilson's glasses (House doesn't know how they got there, and he hasn't bothered giving them back to his friend because Wilson wears contacts now.), a few pencils, pens, and a stray notepad. There is not a single lab coat in his office. His first stethoscope is in the bottom right hand drawer, but he hasn't used it in years and he rarely remembers its existence. There is, unfortunately, a phone in the office. The answering machine was unplugged at first, but when House found he could not unplug the phone as well, he decided to use it to his advantage. His message: "I'm not here - well, I probably am - I just don't feel like answering the phone. Leave a message if you must." He also has a bouncy ball and a portable TV monitor, things that he brought from home to entertain himself during the dull moments. They belong in his bag or in his hands, not in the desk. As do his Gameboy, his wallet - everything he has is portable. So one day, he could just leave and never come back for the things left behind. Dr. Wilson feels very attached to his desk. On top: a picture of an ex-wife smiling; a vase that once held flowers from a grateful patient; take-out menus for himself, his staff, and House; half-used water bottles; a stuffed bear or mouse, depending on perspective, that belonged to a former patient; markers and stainless steel pens, and a stack of coloring/activity books for the youngest patients. The nurse who had charge of the books left two weeks ago and entrusted them to his care. They are now pinned down by a bulky medical reference book and in danger of being forgotten. Not knowing the desk belonged to Wilson, one of the staff members had placed a bowl of fish with the other items. The oncologist admired their colors too much to ask for it to be removed. Besides, he thought, it filled up the formerly empty space perfectly. Wilson had a phone. He doesn't know where it went, but people seem to have no trouble reaching him by person or by his beeper. In his desk are a stack of post-it notes of various colors, a glasses case (which he hasn't thrown out yet because there's still a chance he might find his glasses), and hand disinfectant. As a sort of homebase, his desk isn't visited for longer than 15 minute intervals. Wilson tends to stay in House's office on longer breaks. In the top drawer of her desk, Dr. Cuddy has a prescription for progestin, packages of whole grain cereal and dried fruit, a stress ball, black and blue pens of the same make, a highlighter, an inhaler that she uses on very rare occasions, and mocha-flavored caffeine chews that she has promised herself to stop taking soon. Her first stethoscope is stored in the second drawer on the left, and she looks on it lovingly whenever she opens that drawer for her Altoids. On her desk are the latest issues of New England and Mid-Atlantic based medical journals; her sparkling-clean glasses; and a phone and answering machine, both in regular use and a polite message recorded on the latter. In her bag are a book by Raymond Chandler and her cellular, which remains off throughout the day. Dr. Cuddy spends a lot of time in her own office. It is carpeted and well-furnished.   Please post a comment on this story. Legal Disclaimer: The authors published here make no claims on the ownership of Dr. Gregory House and the other fictional residents of Princeton-Plainsboro Teaching Hospital. Like the television show House (and quite possibly Dr. Wilson's pocket protector), they are the property of Fox Television, David Shore and undoubtedly other individuals of whom I am only peripherally aware. The fan fiction authors published here receive no monetary benefit from their work and intend no copyright infringement nor slight to the actual owners. We love the characters and we love the show, otherwise we wouldn't be here.