The House Fan Fiction Archive

 

Homecoming


by Taima Hiroshima


AUTHOR'S NOTE: This is just a set up from the next story. I was afraid people didn't want to read this anymore...

"God, you're heavy," Wilson grunted as he carried the baby into the house. She probably wasn't the heavy one, he realized. It was probably the baby carrier, and the super sized pack of Pampers he was carrying, and the bag of formula, and the pacifiers, and everything else.

"Wilson!" House scolded. "Don't say that to her. Don't you know that's a good way to give a kid an eating disorder?" he looked at the sleeping baby in the carrier. "Don't worry, Mommy James is just jealous of your girlish figure."

"You are not going to call me Mommy James." He rolled his eyes as he undid Samara's straps in the carrier. Gently, as though she were made of glass, he lifted her out of the carrier. Her eyes opened. They had turned brown, as Greg had predicted. They met with James's and she gurgled.

"She likes it." Greg countered. He followed them into the baby's room. James laid her down. They had filled it with a white crib, a white dresser and rocker, and a changing table. Greg watched the baby looking around the room as James went to go get the diapers.

"Hey, where's Birdie? She should come and meet her sister."

"You know, I'm thinking it might not be a good idea to show something with sharp claws to an infant." James sighed as he began to stock the changing table. "My family is coming over tomorrow. I told them I have a surprise."

"Mom said she'd come the day after."

"How about your dad?" Greg only snorted, and his lover left the subject alone. Greg leaned his cane against the crib and turned on the mobile. Samara fixed her eyes on it. "We never did decide on a nickname."

"What's wrong with calling her Samara?" the oncologist queried as he stood up straight and rubbed the small of his back.

"Please? How do you think all her kindergarten friends are going to be able to say that?"

"Okaaaay," James thought for a minute as Greg claimed the rocking chair. He went and looked out the window. "How about Sammie?"

"Oooh, an androgynous name!" Greg rolled his eyes.

"Mara?"

"What about Leenie? For her middle name. Yeah, that sounds cute. I won't mind screaming that really loud to embarrass her." Greg nodded.

"I don't get any say in this, do I?" James sighed as he sat down on the floor next to the rocker. Greg shrugged.

"Everything you like sort of sucks. That isn't my problem." Greg sang. His lover grumbled something, but they settled quickly.

"She'll wake up in about four hours." James yawned.

"You can go on to bed. I'll wait here." Greg offered. James shook his head and closed his eyes. Within minutes, both his lover and his child were sleeping. Greg smiled as he rested his hand on the younger man's silky hair. He could hear them both breathing in the quiet of the New Jersey night. There was the sound of feet in the hallway, and House looked up to see Birdie's bright green eyes looking at him. "We brought your sister home."

The cat glared at him and then at the crib. House chuckled softly. With as much dignity as she could possibly muster, the cat hopped onto his lap and settled down, clearly wanting to show the baby who belonged to her.

Apparently Wilson was up for grabs. With his free hand, House stroked the silky fur of the cat. She purred under his hand. His baby gave a sigh of contentment. Even Wilson looked perfectly happy.

"I'm home now," Greg smiled as she surveyed his family.

  Please post a comment on this story.



Legal Disclaimer: The authors published here make no claims on the ownership of Dr. Gregory House and the other fictional residents of Princeton-Plainsboro Teaching Hospital. Like the television show House (and quite possibly Dr. Wilson's pocket protector), they are the property of Fox Television, David Shore and undoubtedly other individuals of whom I am only peripherally aware. The fan fiction authors published here receive no monetary benefit from their work and intend no copyright infringement nor slight to the actual owners. We love the characters and we love the show, otherwise we wouldn't be here.