The House Fan Fiction Archive

 

Surprises and Consequences Chapter two


by Ellie Mae Hudson


Chapter Two

Alison spent the next couple of days unpacking and cleaning. She found a grocery store not too far away and had stocked her fridge and pantry. So far she hadn't had to go looking for food away from home again.

Half of her was aching to go back to the bar to see if she bumped into him again, and the other half was scared that he would interpret it as stalking if he saw her. She almost regretted leaving before he woke up.

She had let her mind wander occasionally over the last few days to think about what it would have been like if she had stayed. But again she reminded her self that she was the one that made the rules. But her logic kicked in right about there and told her that if she made the rules that she could break them. It is after all an age old saying.

Giving up on her internal debate she decided to go back to the bar, even if he wasn't there she would still be getting out of the house. But she wasn't going alone, she looked at her watch. It was four pm, plenty of time for her sister to come down from Franklin. Alison had rung her last night and told her about what happened with Greg. She was the one that suggested going out this weekend. It was the first time in years that they had lived on the same Coast, and it would be good to see her as an added bonus.

Alison called her older sister Ashley and told her to hot foot it down here so they could go out on the town. Her sister arrived an hour and a half later. After embracing each other they set to work getting ready amongst gossiping about their extended family.

Unlike the other night she actually made an effort with what she was going to wear, she even did her hair nicely and put on a touch of makeup. Dressed in long black fitted pants, a green strappy top and killer heels Alison was ready to face what awaited her tonite good or bad. She picked up her purse and jacket in case it got colder later and headed out the door with Ashley in tow.

Greg sat in the same place that he had sat on Wednesday night. He hadn't intended to come here on a Friday night as it was always busy on the weekends. But his colleague and friend Dr James Wilson had insisted on it.

Greg did not kiss and tell but Jimmy knew that something had happened on Wednesday night after he had left to go home. He had been interrogating Greg endlessly about it for two days, ever since he walked into work Thursday morning with the biggest smile on his face and no biting comments.

"Come on House, just give me the details. I will find out anyway you know I will."

"But it's more fun watching you beg for details like a dog." Greg replied with a glint in his eye.

He casually looked around the packed bar, not expecting to see her, but hoping still the same. He hadn't been able to stop thinking about her since he woke up the day before. Alison. She had made him feel something apart from pain, even if it was just for the one night. He was actually disappointed that she hadn't left a phone number or address when she left.

"How about if I ply you with expensive alcohol and then start questioning you constantly until you break?" Jim asked.

"How expensive?" Greg asked in return.

"Name your price. I need to live vicariously through you for once. Julie has put up the do not disturb sign for once and all. Spill." Jim said with a small frown on his face.

"So three isn't your lucky number then?" Greg asked as he motioned the bar tender over and pointed at the top shelf Johnny Blue Label. "The whole bottle and two glasses." He added.

The bar tender nodded and left the bottle and two glasses in front of his best paying regular customers.

"Come on, there is a booth open over there, Simone is saving it for us." Jim pointed over Greg's shoulder at one of the pretty waitresses who was cleaning down a table and waving them over.

Jim slipped her a ten as he slid into the table on one side with the bottle and glasses with Greg not far behind. "Simone, tell them in the kitchen where we are will you."

"Sure sweetheart." She acknowledged him as she left seductively swaying her hips.

"Ouch. Right where it hurts." Jim stated as he intently watched her leave.

"Ok where were we. That's right you were about to tell me about your night of debauchery." Jim said as he filled their glasses.

"It wasn't exactly a night of debauchery. More like a night of unbelievable, no conditions, no strings, naughty, naughty sex. The spanking was the best part." Greg said sarcastically as he rubbed his hands together with glee.

"Does she have a sister or is there a news letter I can subscribe too. I want one." Jim said with a forlorn look on his face.

"Seriously she was ..... I don't know I can't put words to it. She is beautiful."

"Oh my god you have it bad, man. You lost for words, now that is a first." Jim said.

"So do you have any way of contacting her? Or should I ask if you want to contact her?" He added.

"Nope, she just left a note that said thanks and that was it. I know she lives around here somewhere, not too far from here she said. I'm not sure if I want to contact her. It was a great night. I don't know if that equals happily ever after and I don't know if I want to ruin the memory. Oh my god I have grown boobs, you have turned me into a girl." Greg said as he clutched his chest.

"You're the one that started on the mushy feeling stuff. Oh wow. Now that is what I like to see first thing of an evening.. Haven't seen them in here before." Jim said as he looked over Greg's shoulder at the front door.

Greg went to turn around but stopped . "Don't look yet. You have to learn to be subtle Greg. Wait till they go to the bar."

Alison and Ashley walked into the bar, it was worse then Wednesday night. There were no booths, no tables and no stools. She scanned the crowd looking for Greg, even though she had convinced herself on her way over that if she saw him she would let him make the first move.

Her and Ash had a small conversation just inside the door and then made there way to the bar.

Both of them ordered vodka and orange juice in a tall glass. Moving towards the pool tables Alison thought she saw someone she recognised. She just couldn't place him. Not wanting to look like she was checking him out she only kept eye contact for a few moments.

"So have you seen him?" Ash asked playfully.

"No, smart arse. I wasn't looking for him I was looking for somewhere to sit." Alison replied with a smile.

"You are a terrible liar, really just give it up. You are going to burst if you don't see him tonite. There are spare seats but they are at tables with other people. Do you want to see about slipping in with some of them?" Ash asked more seriously.

"Not particularly. How about we play a round of pool, that one there is free and see what happens?" Alison suggested.

Ash nodded and headed towards the empty pool table, put some money in the slot and started racking up the balls as they came out the chute. They flipped a coin to see who would go first and Alison won.

Greg waited for the women that Jim had mentioned to walk over to the bar. As they come into view he slowly slid back into the shadows of the booth..

Jim looked over to see what he thought and started chuckling.

"Which one is it, the green top or the pink? Please say green." He asked practically jumping up and down in his seat.

Feeling that it was useless to fight it he quietly confirmed it was green.

"What's her name? Ill go and ask them if they want to come and sit with us." Jim asked as he started to rise.

"Don't you dare move. I'm not sure she wants to come over here and I don't want to leave her with no choice. It will look like I'm stalking her." Greg said as he sat back up when the women headed towards the pool table.

"Little problem with that Greg, you were here first. And do you really think she would have come in here without thinking she would see you again. There are at least twenty bars around here and even more clubs. Why did she have to walk into your's!"

"I have a better idea Humphrey." Greg said as he waved Simone over.

"Simone you got a pen I can borrow for a sec. Don't run off I need you to do me a favour." He said as she handed over a pen and a slip of paper of her order pad.

He scribbled a small note, explained to Simone what he wanted to do and slipped her a twenty telling her to keep the change.

Greg and Jim sat back and watched, the beauty of where they were seating was if they sat at the back of the booth it was hard to see them, but they had a perfect view of the pool tables.

They had almost finished their game when a waitress came up to them and put a vodka and orange down in front of each of them.

"I didn't order these." Alison said as the waitress handed her a note.

"Read the note love. Wave me down if you want to send a reply honey, ill be at the bar." Simone said as she headed in that direction.

"What does the note say?" Ash prodded.

Alison hadn't opened it yet, she was looking around to see who had sent it to her.

"If you don't open it I will." Ash said as she reached for the note.

Alison snatched it out of her way and opened it. It said simply "Thanks".

"Who is it from?" Ash asked again.

"I think it is from Greg. It doesn't say. Should I send one back?" Alison asked while still looking around her, pool game forgotten.

"Do you want to hook up with him again?"

"I don't know. I don't know if I am ready for something serious at the moment, but oh my god did we have fun the other night."

"So just head towards the rest of the night with that thought. If you only want to relive the other night do it. If you are considering something more serious you should properly put a stop to the physical side of things and get to know him a bit better." Ash said as she sipped her free drink.

"I feel like Gamma is rolling over in her grave her good catholic grand-daughters are trolling the town for one night stands. Well one of us is, the other is just encouraging it. I really do not think I am ready for a relationship, for god sake I am about to start my dream job on Monday, I don't want to have all this hanging over my head." Alison made up her mind and waived the waitress back over.

Ash motioned for the people waiting to play a game of pool that the table was all their's. Alison had lost interest, and the night was about to get very interesting.

"Alison, give me your keys." Ash said as she tried to look over her shoulder as she was writing the reply note.

"Why?" Alison asked as she handed the note back to the waitress with the name tag Simone.

"So if you go home with him, ill be able to get into your place. I'm not driving home tonite remember. And I don't want you doing a runner on me."

Alison was trying to see where the waitress was taking the note but she seemed to be doing five other things first.

Simone looked up and saw that Alison was still watching her and as per her instructions she kept parading around.

"Come on she is not going to deliver it with you staring at her like a mad woman. Let's go and have a dance. You can show your secret admirer your moves, get him all hot and we won't have to buy any drinks all night." Ash said as she grabbed her younger sister by the arm and dragged her to the dance floor just as a good song came on.

Simone finally saw James over at the bar and headed in her direction. The woman whose note she was now holding was watching her like a hawk.

"Here you go honey." Simone said to Jim as she handed it to him.

He made his way through the crowd with the pitcher of Vodka and orange that he had just bought in anticipation of the people who would soon be joining their table.

Jim slid into his side of the booth and handed the note to Greg with a look to hurry up about reading it.

"What are you watching? Oh." Jim said as he followed his friends gaze. He was watching the women that had him under a spell on the dance floor with the other woman that looked to be her sister.

They were swaying seductively to the music, definitely teasing who ever was watching.

"Oh my god it's like you never finished high school, Wilson, you are practically drooling over the cheerleaders. DO you want me to tell them that my friend likes them and see what they say?" Greg said using his biting remarks to cover for how nervous he really was.

He slowly opened the note and breathed a sigh of relief. In the familiar scrawl he read "show me the way."

A/N: The line where House refers to Jim as Humphrey is due to Jim quoting Humphrey Bogart in Casablanca "All the clubs in the world why did she have to walk into mine".


  Please post a comment on this story.



Legal Disclaimer: The authors published here make no claims on the ownership of Dr. Gregory House and the other fictional residents of Princeton-Plainsboro Teaching Hospital. Like the television show House (and quite possibly Dr. Wilson's pocket protector), they are the property of Fox Television, David Shore and undoubtedly other individuals of whom I am only peripherally aware. The fan fiction authors published here receive no monetary benefit from their work and intend no copyright infringement nor slight to the actual owners. We love the characters and we love the show, otherwise we wouldn't be here.