The House Fan Fiction Archive

 

His Choice


by rachbigbro


He didn't go out with a bang, there was no big fight.

It was quiet and not at all painful, not the way his life had been. For in life he had been loud, abrasive, and he managed to put up a fight whenever he possibly could.

So everyone had expected that when it came down to it he would fight, but at the end he very simple gave up, he choose what would happen. He quietly decided what was going to happen to him.

He was alone, and he preferred it that way.

So quietly in his own home he sat at his piano, his cane resting against the piano bench, a constant reminder of what he had lost. His vicodin bottle, that he always had with him was sitting empty, cap off, on top of his piano, all the little white pills in a pile next to it. As if waiting for him.

It was a brand new prescription just filled that afternoon.

When he had been found, his body was slumped over the ivory white keys of the piano, and the pile of pills was almost gone. They had called 911, and they tried to resuscitate him, but it had been useless, to much time had passed. He was gone.

He died the way he wanted, and when he wanted.

The funeral was small.

His mother had been a quiet mess the whole time, while his father sat next her trying to comfort her as their only son was lowered in to the ground in front of them.

Cameron had silently cried, thinking of what could have been if she had only tried harder to push through his tough exterior.

Foremen and Chase both of their eyes a little wet stood on each side of Cameron giving her their silent support.

Cuddy's face was contorted into a mask of guilt, as if she could have prevented what had happen, if only she had paid a little more attention.

Wilson stood off to the side, Julie next to him. Not a single tear. It wasn't until much later at home, in the comfort of his bed that he finally broke down and cried, cursing House for doing what he did.

His tombstone was a dull gray, displaying only his name.

Gregory House

  Please post a comment on this story.



Legal Disclaimer: The authors published here make no claims on the ownership of Dr. Gregory House and the other fictional residents of Princeton-Plainsboro Teaching Hospital. Like the television show House (and quite possibly Dr. Wilson's pocket protector), they are the property of Fox Television, David Shore and undoubtedly other individuals of whom I am only peripherally aware. The fan fiction authors published here receive no monetary benefit from their work and intend no copyright infringement nor slight to the actual owners. We love the characters and we love the show, otherwise we wouldn't be here.