The House Fan Fiction Archive

 

Ohev


by Megs


Notes: Huge, huge, IMMENSE thanks to Kelly, who gives me encouraging comments and makes me see things that I wouldn't notice otherwise, like my lame sentence fragments and everything. Thanks a bunch. I dedicate this to you.

Notes Part Deux: I'm not Jewish. If you are, I'm sorry. I probably trampled all over your sacred rites in this, but I looked everything up, so all the wedding stuff should be accurate--from the Hebrew, to the random Adam and Eve comparison.

. - . - . - . Shidduch . - . - . - .


With Danielle it had been quick and simple: City Hall in front of a judge, Gregory House, and Stacy Warner. James felt ill as he kissed his first wife, glancing slyly sideways at House to read his reaction. But he didn't see anything.

With Geena, it was small and took place in a church. She wore a simple white cocktail dress and he wore slacks and a dress-shirt. He could ignore the crucifix, but he couldn't ignore the sadness in House's eyes as he stood best man again.

. - . - . - . Vort . - . - . - .


The engagement with Julie is long. James has his suspicions from the beginning that the traditional Jewish wedding is a mistake, but he is doing it for their parents' sake.

He spends the entire week prior to the date unable to see his future wife due to tradition. Absence makes the heart grow fonder and that, but it's only making him forget why he wants to do this in the first place. He thinks maybe if he does it right this time, this one will last. But he's not so sure.

. - . - . - . Ketuvah . - . - . - .


It's a glorified marriage certificate in Aramaic. James finds the implications that his bride can't provide for herself without him laughable. The Rabbi explains everything and slides the pen to James.

The witnesses are a bridesmaid, who is smiling, and House, who looks bored. James is annoyed, but realizes with a stab of guilt that House must be in pain. He signs quickly, and they drink liquor and make lechaims.

House mocks, but downs it.

James salutes again for the sole purpose of taking another shot.

. - . - . - . Bedekin . - . - . - .


It is the first time James has seen Julie in a week, and she's sitting like a queen on her throne for the veiling.

He forces a smile as he pulls the veil over her face, resisting the urge to vomit in her lap.

The music is loud, and when it's over his relatives cheer and laugh. But in the sea of joy and excitement for the couple, there is one lined, sad face--and he knows now, that House isn't actually in pain. Physically, anyway.

. - . - . - . Chuppah . - . - . - .


James Wilson glances up at the decorated cloth rippling in the slight evening breeze, lazily. He's stands with parents, and he's sure that his best man has skipped out by now-- wouldn't be the first time Gregory House let James Wilson down.

The cantor is singing a selection from the Song of Songs as Julie approaches. She looks stunning, and, pained, James looks away. He's supposed to be praying for his unmarried friends to find their true partners in life. But, thinking of House, he can't.

. - . - . - . Kiddushin . - . - . - .


James Wilson is a doctor. He doesn't like hurting anybody. Yet he's hurting Julie, who doesn't deserve it. He doesn't think he can stop.

When House slips him the ring, their eyes lock, and it takes longer than necessary. James's hand is sweaty, and House's is cold. Yet neither wants to let go.

"Behold you are sanctified to me," says James, and he is supposed to be talking to his bride but he's looking at his best man, "With this ring, according to the Law of Moses and Israel."

It's suddenly official, and now Julie isn't the only one James is hurting.

. - . - . - . Sheva Brachos . - . - . - .


The blessings express hope that the couple will rejoice together forever as though they're Adam and Eve. Julie sips the wine daintily, grinning. It dribbles down James Wilson's chin as he gulps it ridiculously quickly.

He stamps on the glass forcefully and pointedly. Pieces flies everywhere and he can almost feel House flinching behind him. It's not pleasant.

"That's the last time you'll get to put your foot down," jokes someone. He can hear the distant shouts of Mazaltov!, but he is still staring at House, who looks as if it was his heart James had just smashed to bits.

. - . - . - . Cheder Yichud . - . - . - .


Marriage number three is officially official. The guests are dancing, laughing, as they follow the bride and groom to the cheder yichud, but Gregory House stays behind, staring at nothing. James would say that he just doesn't like gatherings, but he knows that's not it this time. They are Mr. and Mrs. Wilson, and it's killing House just as much as it's killing the groom.

And then the new couple is alone in the room of privacy, and Julie is leaning closer, and James kisses his chosson with the mouth that was all over his best man the night before.

. - . - . - . Fin . - . - . - .

  Please post a comment on this story.



Legal Disclaimer: The authors published here make no claims on the ownership of Dr. Gregory House and the other fictional residents of Princeton-Plainsboro Teaching Hospital. Like the television show House (and quite possibly Dr. Wilson's pocket protector), they are the property of Fox Television, David Shore and undoubtedly other individuals of whom I am only peripherally aware. The fan fiction authors published here receive no monetary benefit from their work and intend no copyright infringement nor slight to the actual owners. We love the characters and we love the show, otherwise we wouldn't be here.