The House Fan Fiction Archive

 

Lame


by Jaryn


"This is pretty lame, right?" House asked with a wince on his face as he held up the corsage.

Wilson smiled, "I think she likes lame." House glanced over at him, meeting Wilson's eyes, before looking back at the corsage again. Wilson eyed House critically before nodding his head to the left, "Come on, you have to wear a tie," he said, walking over to where House had tossed the tie in frustration.

"Do they not allow people in restaurants without them any more?" House asked, pulling a mock-confused face, but he put the corsage on the kitchen counter and followed after Wilson.

"Cameron will notice." Wilson picked up the tie and turned to face House.

"She said date, she didn't say good date and she definitely didn't specify how I should be dressed," House argued, even though he knew he'd have to make some effort to get what he wanted. Which was for Cameron to stay in his fellowship, not to get into her pants, despite popular opinion.

Wilson scoffed at him and threaded the tie around House's neck, "But you are giving her a corsage, so you might as well wear a tie."

House frowned at Wilson as the other man plucked up his collar before smoothing it down over the tie. He then looked down at Wilson's hands as they expertly looped the wide and thin sides together. House breathed in and then out, strangely silent all of a sudden. He looked up and found Wilson's eyes on his - apparently the man was so adept at tying a tie he didn't even need to see what he was doing.

"If you're going to act like my wife, you really shouldn't be sending me off on a date."

Wilson rolled his eyes, "I guess we have an open relationship then."

"So open we don't even have sex, incredible," House replied and gripped one of Wilson's wrists, forcing him to stop fussing with the tie.

Wilson gave him an indescribable look, "Just...be nice to her."

"I will, as long as she doesn't start in with the feelings or I start hearing the distant sound of wedding bells," House said and let go of Wilson's wrist. "They only make things complicated if I just want to do her. And remember, I have to do her, or apparently I'm gay."

"Well, I've always had a suspicion," Wilson said and smoothed the tie down House's front.

It was House's turn to give Wilson an odd look and he grabbed Wilson's wrist again when he went to move his hand away. "What gave me away? My appreciation of Chase's hair or was it the over done appreciation of Cuddy's fun bags?"

Wilson frowned at him and didn't move or speak for a moment before he firmly pulled his wrist out of House's grip, "You're going to be late."

House gave him a twisted smile and turned away to go and collect his jacket and the corsage. When he walked back into the living room, Wilson had his jacket on as well and was sitting on the armrest of the chair, staring down at his feet. House thumped his cane against the floor and Wilson jerked his head up. "Did your puppy just die?"

"Huh?" Wilson blinked at him and slowly rose to his feet.

"Nothing," House rolled his eyes and led the way out the door. He couldn't explain why he felt oddly bereft when he and Wilson parted ways out the front of his building, or why he thought of Wilson when Cameron - predictably - did ask about his feelings.

Just as Wilson couldn't later explain the rush of relief he felt when House replied that he didn't think there'd be another date.

  Please post a comment on this story.



Legal Disclaimer: The authors published here make no claims on the ownership of Dr. Gregory House and the other fictional residents of Princeton-Plainsboro Teaching Hospital. Like the television show House (and quite possibly Dr. Wilson's pocket protector), they are the property of NBC/Universal, David Shore and undoubtedly other individuals of whom I am only peripherally aware. The fan fiction authors published here receive no monetary benefit from their work and intend no copyright infringement nor slight to the actual owners. We love the characters and we love the show, otherwise we wouldn't be here.