The House Fan Fiction Archive

 

The Remembrance Walk


by dynamics_xx


She walked up the steps cautiously, mildly shaken to see such a calm, residential, area where everything seemed as if it should go as it had been planned, yet here she was, approaching an attractive, noticeably well-off, man to inform him that he contracted a life-threatening illness when he had an affair with a married woman.

However, it was him who was shaken most of all, because he held the secret of being very close friends with the husband of the woman which he had the affair with. Cameron didn't know this however, until she saw it in his eyes and the pieces were put together.

The last thing that had crossed her mind when she saw Ed Snow walk out the door, personal items in tow, was simply 'how could he?'.

But now, she stood across from his best friend, who sat, head in his hands, at his dining room table, and wished she'd never came in the first place.

'Elise..god, Elise. It wasn't meant to happen how it did. That wasn't how anything was supposed to play out. I have a wife. A son. I have a son and a wife who need me and this...this just isn't how it's supposed to play out!' He sighed dejectedly and sat staring at Cameron, who sat on the edge of her seat, feet tapping gently against the floor in an abstract rythym that was somehow comforting.

She cleared her throat. 'I know this news is difficult, but it's imperative we get you to the hospital. The disease is cureable, but it's best to do it as soon as possible.'

He nodded, and she sighed with relief. There was no need whatsoever to make this difficult. 'Look, Doctor..Cameron? Right? Well, please don't think I'm a bad person for asking this but..will Ed know it was me? Does he already?'

'That is between you, him, and Elise. I don't know what he does and doesn't know, but I'll just say that until this visit, I did not know that the man Elise had an affair with was you, Ed's close friend.'

He visibly flinched at her wording; his mind racing of ways to save his family from the pain of learning the truth, while still being able to rid himself of the guilt beginning to eat away at him.

- - -

After her disconcerning trip she drove back to the hospital to grab her things and head home. She was exhausted, and glad for her work to be done for the day.

Slipping on a tank top and a pair of fleece shorts, she laid down in her bed, flexing her neck gently and silently appreciating the softness of her pillow.

That night, she dreamt of her and her husband. Her, her husband, and her husband's best friend.

  Please post a comment on this story.



Legal Disclaimer: The authors published here make no claims on the ownership of Dr. Gregory House and the other fictional residents of Princeton-Plainsboro Teaching Hospital. Like the television show House (and quite possibly Dr. Wilson's pocket protector), they are the property of NBC/Universal, David Shore and undoubtedly other individuals of whom I am only peripherally aware. The fan fiction authors published here receive no monetary benefit from their work and intend no copyright infringement nor slight to the actual owners. We love the characters and we love the show, otherwise we wouldn't be here.