The House Fan Fiction Archive

 

Mmm. Cookies


by Adrienne


"House, I can't believe you did that," Wilson shouted, barging into House's office. Chase prudently moved his feet out of the pathway from the door to the desk.

"Really?" House replied, in an innocently curious tone. "You didn't believe I would shoot a corpse and then give it an MRI, either. You'd think you'd know better by now." Chase agreed; that one was classic House.

Wilson sighed heavily, as he was wont to do in House's presence.

"Seriously, House, how could you? You knew that this was important to me," Wilson continued earnestly, putting his hands on his hips.

"Did you know that pose is called standing akimbo?" House inquired. Chase recognised deflection when he heard it. So, apparently, did Wilson.

"Yes," Wilson replied. "It's a good thing I found out about it before the bake sale. How could you?"

"How could I what?"

"Replace all my baking chocolate with Ex-Lax!" Wilson went back to shouting. House didn't look particularly ashamed or repentant, but Chase did look down at the pilfered chocolate chip cookie in his hand. Cameron and Foreman exchanged guilty glances.

Chase carefully put the cookie down on a napkin and dusted off his fingers. He hadn't actually eaten any of the cookie, but based on the way Cameron and Foreman fled the room, they had.

Maybe he should have left, because now Wilson redirected his glare at him.

"And while I'm here, maybe you could explain why half a dozen of the cookies I made for the bake sale to support the new pediatric oncology wing disappeared?" Wilson snapped.

"Well, I... Um..." Chase rolled his eyes and nodded his head toward House in an obvious and, he suspected, idiotic looking attempt to pin the blame on House.

"House would have taken them before I left and my assistant saw a blond in my office twenty minutes ago."

"Oh, like that's anything unusual," House put in and, much to Chase's disappointment, Wilson didn't deign to notice.

It was all Foreman's fault, anyway. Cameron had mentioned the bake sale and the fact that Wilson had brought in five dozen cookies for it.

They had all watched in helpless envy when House would slowly eat Wilson's cookies in front of them without sharing and with an expression bordering on orgasmic. Foreman had talked him into stealing a handful of the little 'disks of delight', pointing out that nobody would miss them in the bounty being brought together for the event. Cameron had distracted House with a question while Foreman blocked the view to Wilson's office. Chase had gone in through the balcony and taken six of the soft cookies and parcelled them out while House's back was turned.

He hadn't had a chance to eat any of them, since House had turned back just as Cameron and Foreman each crammed one into their mouths and someone had to actually answer House. Despite not having had any, he was feeling distinctly queasy.

"Stealing from children." Wilson let the anger fade from his voice, leaving only sad disappointment. He shook his head and Chase felt about two inches tall.

He hung his head, wishing he had eaten some of the cookies. A bad case of the trots would be better than this. Cameron and Foreman got off easy.

He listened to the silence for a moment, too ashamed to look up. Then he heard a snicker coming from Wilson's side of the desk, followed by one from House's side. He lifted his head slightly and opened one eye. Both men were grinning like idiots.

"Wilson, I could hug you," House said finally. "I take it the real cookies are being happily consumed as we speak?"

"Wait a minute." Chase protested. "There's nothing wrong with the cookies?" He picked up his cookie and defiantly bit into it, chewing vigorously.

"Well, not with the ones I gave to the committee," Wilson replied. "Those, on the other hand, really are laced with laxatives."

"It was Wilson's feeble attempt to keep me from eating the entire batch as they came out of the oven," House explained. "I caught on to it, so we decided to see if you lot were the thieving, lying mercenaries I thought you were. Wilson had a better opinion."

"Up until now," Wilson added.

"So..." Chase tried to spit out the mouthful of cookie, then gave in to the inevitable and swallowed. "You two cooked this up between you as a test?"

"As an experiment," House corrected smugly. "All very scientific. You didn't even notice the weird taste of the chocolate."

"Neither did you," Wilson pointed out dryly. "You ate six of them before they even cooled down."

"Best bowel movement I've had in a month." House nodded. "It was great. Smooth, with just a hint of..."

"House, I've already had the full colour commentary. I don't need the replay," Wilson warned. "I doubt Chase does, either."

Chase, now not sure which end was going to expel the cookie first, got up and fled in the same direction Foreman had, to the sound of laughter.


  Please post a comment on this story.



Legal Disclaimer: The authors published here make no claims on the ownership of Dr. Gregory House and the other fictional residents of Princeton-Plainsboro Teaching Hospital. Like the television show House (and quite possibly Dr. Wilson's pocket protector), they are the property of NBC/Universal, David Shore and undoubtedly other individuals of whom I am only peripherally aware. The fan fiction authors published here receive no monetary benefit from their work and intend no copyright infringement nor slight to the actual owners. We love the characters and we love the show, otherwise we wouldn't be here.