The House Fan Fiction Archive

 

Sing Me A Song


by Topaz Eyes


A/N: For the housefic_pens song title drabble challenge.

~~~~~

This Woman's Work


Cuddy stared straight ahead as Wilson drove, not daring to look back. Her hands twisted around the expensive black leather purse in her lap, a cheerful stuffed lamb peeking gaily outside.

"Thank you for coming, Wilson," she whispered into the contracted space.

Beside her, he sighed, reaching a hand out. "Lisa--"

"I know." She cut him off, before he could offer any more platitudes.

The brilliance of the sun made her eyes water. She told herself that it was only because she'd forgotten her sunglasses, as the grassy knoll with its small gray stone receded into the distance behind them.

~~~~~

Angel


The pills are small, oblong, and white. Bitter on the tongue, they are almost caustic when chewed, and when swallowed without water they burn on the way down. Yet he welcomes that feeling, the herald of sweet relief to come.

Soon she swoops down, picks him up in her embrace, and holds him closer than a lover. She mutes the words screaming in his ear, soothes his furrowed brow; extinguishes the flame in his leg, builds the invisible wall to hide behind: perfect escape.

House ceases to care as he lets her rock him, closer and closer, to eternal sleep.

~~~~~

If You Don't Know Me By Now


"How much more do you want from me, House?"

House, sitting, sneered from his desk. "If I thought you couldn't handle it, I wouldn't have hired you."

Foreman shook his head, staring past the window.

"You didn't have to take this fellowship, Eric," House continued.

"Maybe I should have stayed in California."

"Yeah, maybe you should have. Become a second-rate doctor. Lazy. Always looking for the easy answer. I don't work like that."

"Because being right is everything. Doesn't matter who gets hurt, as long as you solve the puzzle."

House looked away. "Yeah, homeboy. Don't ever forget that."

~~~~~

A Night In Dildo


"All the places you could go for vacation, and you choose Newfoundland?" Wilson gaped in disbelief. "Why?????"

"I hear it's lovely in summer," House said idly. "Verdant. Fresh sea air. The Vikings had the first North American settlement there a thousand years ago."

"Five hundred years before Columbus," Wilson agreed. His eyes narrowed at the evil gleam in House's. "But I doubt the thought of walking in the footsteps of Nordic legends is the reason." House just smirked.

Two weeks later, Cuddy could only roll her eyes in amusement at the postcard that read "Blow Me Down at Conception Bay."

(author's note: Dildo, Blow Me Down and Conception Bay are real places in Newfoundland!)

~~~~~

Come Talk To Me


Somewhere along the line he'd decided she was still too disappointed in what he'd done, to believe she still loved him.

When Blythe learned he'd cheated at Hopkins, she had been disappointed, but she'd forgiven him almost immediately. She'd spent the last twenty years trying to convince Greg of that, to no avail. She'd tried to tell him he'd more than made up for his mistake in the meantime; all she wanted now was to see him happy, not miserable like this.

As she hugged Greg goodbye, Blythe wondered if anything would put a smile back into his eyes again.

~~~~~

He Mele No Lilo


The sunset off the shore of Hawaii shimmered pink, gold and blue on the peaceful waters of the Pacific. Behind them Kohala loomed, sedate over the white sand beach, while the fragrance of papayas and orchids drifted on the salt air.

Allison smiled over at Brian and reached for his hand. "This is beautiful," she murmured, stretching out in her lounge chair. "I'm so glad we came."

Beside her Brian grinned and squeezed back. "Best honeymoon ever, Alli," he agreed.

She would pay off the credit card for another year after Brian died, but it had been totally worth it.

~~~~~

What A Good Boy


As a boy, Robert remembered the smell of vodka and attar of roses wafting from his mother as she sat beside him in the burnished pew. He chose to concentrate instead on the play of light through stained glass on the pulpit, casting the deacon's white robes into rainbows of color and glinting off the Communion chalice; thinking one day he would stand up there to celebrate the Eucharist.

Now, fifteen years and ten thousand miles away, Dr. Chase holds another silver cup in his hands; no longer filled with the wine he remembers from his youth, but with ashes.

  Please post a comment on this story.



Legal Disclaimer: The authors published here make no claims on the ownership of Dr. Gregory House and the other fictional residents of Princeton-Plainsboro Teaching Hospital. Like the television show House (and quite possibly Dr. Wilson's pocket protector), they are the property of NBC/Universal, David Shore and undoubtedly other individuals of whom I am only peripherally aware. The fan fiction authors published here receive no monetary benefit from their work and intend no copyright infringement nor slight to the actual owners. We love the characters and we love the show, otherwise we wouldn't be here.