Chapter Two

A/N: I should note that I haven't actually seen episode one of season three. It is, in fact, the ONLY episode that I haven't seen. However, I chose this particular time period because I need House to be fairly pain free in order to go along with my storyline.

Also, I'm extending the time between Ep 1 and Ep 2 of season three considerably for much the same reasons. I'll get to covering Episode 2, but it might be a few chapters.

HMDHMDHMDHMD

House stalked the corridor outside of Stephen Hawkins room. He was missing something so simple it was disgusting. He hadn't even bothered asking Wilson to get his latest theory through. Cuddy and Wilson were both up to something, still. And he had no desire at that moment to squirm his way in between.

He'd tackle that tomorrow.

He heard shuffling from behind him; the dejected sound of six feet not knowing a damn thing. "Cuddy says no."

He turned and looked at his team. They were exhausted. And there was nothing more they could do. It was that thought, he believed, that sent a ripple of pain down his leg.

"You kids head on home. You're done for the night."

Cameron opened her mouth and House gave her a stern look. Her jaw clicked shut and she huffed off. House watched her go, the pain in his leg growing despite the very tempting scene he was viewing. Suppressing his male urges to go after her, He gave Foreman and Chase similarly scathing looks. This time, he turned and left.

He had other reasons for needing to see Wilson.

HMDHMDHMDHMD

Lisa Cuddy was flabbergasted. She rounded her desk and went straight to the woman standing in her office. The two embraced tightly. It had been three years since she'd actually seen her younger sister.

"God Jules, you look great!"

Her sister smiled down a her. "You too. Absolutely phenomenal."

Realizing she was being rude, Cuddy held out her arm. "Sit down. Let me get you something to drink." Her sister sank gratefully in to the couch closest to her. She sighed deeply and extended her leg.

Lisa returned, two bottles of water in her hands. "Here." She handed her sister the bottle and sat down on the couch next to her. She quickly studied her sibling, looking for differences. Her eyes were immediately drawn to her leg.

"Do your knees still bother you?"

Her sister looked down at the offending appendage with a sad smile. "The arthritis gets worse every year. Unfortunately my HMO hates me right now. They actually kicked me off my plan."

Lisa's hand came up to her sister's arm. "I am so sorry Jules. What happened?"

The other woman sighed deep again. "I had an accident last year. Car. I hurt my right knee again pretty bad. I didn't break it, thank god. I couldn't work for months and my office thought I was just trying to suck them dry. They fired me, regardless of the fact that their own staff was treating me."

"That sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen. So, you got kicked off your insurance too. Did they suggest fraud?"

Her sister shrugged and raised her gaze to Lisa. Her flawless blue eyes were starting to fill with tears. "They tried. Instead of finding a doctor that could actually prove what those idiots couldn't, I just told them to forget about me. My knees will always hurt."

Lisa pulled her younger sister into her arms and squeezed. "So, you're out a job now. What brought you here?"

Her sister knew it wasn't an accusatory question. They hadn't seen each other in three years. Only exchanging the odd e-mails now and then to let each other know what was going on. Lisa knew next to nothing about her life, even before she'd taken a hiatus to Colorado.

"Well, I don't know if Mom told you this, but I got a degree in medical filing about two years ago. I don't know if I even mentioned it to you the last time I saw you. Along with my other skills, I thought maybe you'd be able to get me work here."

Lisa sighed. Julianne had pulled the same trick fifteen years ago. Needed a job and had come running to her older sister. That had definitely not ended well.

"Before you say no, please please give me a chance. I can't go back to Mom and Dad. I'm Thirty one years old, I don't need a babysitter, just a chance. Please."

`Well, not exactly what I was going to object about, but at least she seems sincere this time'. Cuddy nodded. "Type up a resume and I'll see if we have any departments that need help while you get back on your feet." Her sister smiled wildly at her and gave her another hug.

"Do you have a place to stay?"

Julianne chuckled. "Yeah, but you made it clear that your house was off limits. I can bunk down in a motel for a few nights until I scratch together money for a place."

Lisa smiled ruefully and stood, holding out a hand for her sister. "I wasn't talking about you. Now come on, it's about time to get out of here any way.

HMDHMDHMDHMD

From his vantage point on the balcony, House observed Cuddy and another woman. The other woman looked sort of familiar, but not overly so. She couldn't have been a former patient. The pair on the main floor chatted at the door to Cuddy's office while she locked up and House could have had a perfect view down her shirt, had he really cared.

His attention was drawn to the other woman instead. She was taller than Cuddy by a good half foot. Probably 5 foot 8. If he had to guess. Bleached blond hair tied up in a bun at the back of her head. Definitely relaxed too, laid back and down to earth. Her jeans were well worn and baggy in the seat and knees. She wore a button down though, a man's button down it looked like.

House was intrigued and wondered if Cuddy hadn't gotten herself a girlfriend or something.

The two headed for the front doors and House's attention was immediately caught. The woman had a limp. A distinct but not extremely obvious limp. In her left leg. Her thigh or knee. She wasn't having trouble with the weight, it seemed, just the fact of lifting it.

He smiled, feeling a mystery coming and having the distinct impression that he'd see the blond again.

HMDHMDHMDHMD

Chapter One: Here