HMDHMDHMDHMD

Twelve.

She counted them all, taking a deep breath between each; they were carefully measured and painstaking. Particularly painstaking in fact.

It took until the tenth that she felt the fault. The underlying problem. The agony tearing up her leg and into her hip. She swore under her breath and considered popping a couple of pills right there.

Then again, showing up out of the blue like she was and popping pills in the entry way of a hospital would draw the worst sorts of reactions. Reactions she couldn't draw if her plans had any possible hope of coming true.

She stopped at the large circular desk and her hand rose on its own. She didn't even have to tell her body anymore when it needed the help. It had its own rules; yet another reason why she was there.

The woman behind the counter looked up expectantly. Her gaze wasn't angry and disgruntled. Helpful, if anything. She smiled up at her. "Can I help you with something miss?"

She nodded, her almost bleached blond hair falling in her eyes. "Where can I find Dr. Cuddy?"

HMDHMDHMDHMD

"That's it? That's your argument?"

"Seems like a good one."

"If I thought for a second you wanted to help him, you'd have carte blanche. You're doing this because it's fun."

Dr. Gregory House lifted his right hand and made a forceful downward motion with it. The woman staring at him, one very disgruntled Dr. Lisa Cuddy, rolled her eyes. It had been only two month since her star doctor's miracle bullet hole wounds. Obviously not long enough for him to forget he needed a cane.

House himself realized he'd made the motion and slammed both hands down on her desk. "Does nobody in this hospital have anything better to talk about than my motives? My motives have nothing to do with the case."

"Your motives have everything to do with your judgment."

Holding out his arms like Christ himself, House was almost yelling now. "For the first time in years I've got no opiates in my body, now you question my judgment."

Cuddy wasn't sure if he was trying to visually illiterate or if he was really drug free, but she couldn't risk it. "24 times a year you come storming into my office spouting that you can help someone. Only you never say those words, you say something like his pancreas is going to explode because his brain is on fire! You come here with medicine, not with platitudes."

Her employee sighed heavily, "I didn't want to bore you with the details."

" There are no details, you've a hunch. House, you don't use hunches, you always have reasons. This hospital doesn't exist for your whims. I'm sorry. As of 7 am tomorrow morning, I'm sending your patient home."

Shooting House her patented `I'm done with you' look, she busied herself with a file. She knew he'd find another way to figure out this case, or his patient would be sent home.

Sensing he'd lost the battle, House straightened and turned, heading out the door. He didn't even bother with the usual parting remark. He was simply too angry for it. Pushing past the glass barrier, he paused outside of Cuddy's office, desperately searching his mind for the next great idea.

His eyes ghosted over the clinic doors and he couldn't help but wince. He still had a few hours of honest work before he'd be subjected to that torture. That thought in his mind, he turned to head towards the stairs.

HMDHMDHMDHMD

Back at the welcome desk, the woman followed the receptionists pointing hand to a set of swinging doors just to her left. The words of the one she sought were printed on them plain as day and she smiled. Thanking the receptionist, she started her painful journey.

She almost made it when her leg gave out. The pain, having throbbed in rhythm for so long, jumped to attention. She stumbled a few steps to the left and quickly regained her balance.

The joint was still out of place. The woman straightened her stance and pulled the offending appendage beneath her. Her weight slowly shifted and She felt the bones popping in to place.

He back now straight, she saw a man exit Dr. Lisa Cuddy's office. Her eyes were curious on him. He seemed out of breath and moving very fast. She could have thought about his looks or his mannerisms but the pain was bad. Real bad. She needed to sit. Taking another few shaking steps forward, she made it to the doors and opened them. Another set stood between her and Dr. Cuddy.

She would have knocked, but knew she really didn't need to anyway. Toeing open the door with her left foot, she leaned on the handles and almost hopped in to the room. Dr. Cuddy didn't even raise her head.

"I said no House. That wasn't me just being smart."

"Then I suppose I'll just have to get an apartment here. I was sort of hoping I could stay with you, but-"

Dr. Cuddy's eyes flew up and her mouth dropped when she saw who exactly was standing in her office. Cuddy stood. "Brat?"

The woman smiled brilliantly, suddenly very happy and relieved she'd decided to do this. "Hi sis."

HMDHMDHMDHMD

Please review if you enjoyed, or if you have any questions, comments, or concerns.