The House Fan Fiction Archive

 

Objects Displaced (3/3)


by finickyfeline2




Disclaimer: The characters and setting from House, M.D. do not belong to me.

AN/Summary: So you've read the character studies done through objects and their placement, for the docs and the ducklings. Let's see what's changed. Set after Detox, Histories, and all those other episodes that came before.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dr. House's Gameboy ran out of batteries. He couldn't recall if he left the gadget in a drawer in Exam Room 1 or 2. It was an older model, anyway. TV and patients were more fun. He misplaced his bouncy ball and has taken to holding one of the bright red mugs from the cafeteria. It is approximately twice the weight of the ball. He likes the feel of the solid mass in his hand; it is something to squeeze furtively when the pain gets bad.

Two items have taken up permanent residency in his office: a battery recharger and an emergency bottle of Vicodin.

At the request of his staff, House carries his beeper with him everywhere. The original request had been for a cell phone; they complained that he did not answer his phone often enough. House reasoned that he could avoid calls on a cell phone just as well by turning it off. Chase reasoned that he'd want to know about the progression of a case even when he's away from his office. House relented and settled for the only form of constant contact he was willing to have: a beeper. It's small, light. He can answer when he chooses.

(House already had a cell phone. He uses it only for out-going calls.)

Dr. Wilson has a new cellphone. It was about time he got a new one, and it was most opportune that he had dropped the old one into a pot of steaming fresh coffee.

The water bottles on Wilson's desk have been disposed of. House had sniffed that he was building bacterial colonies in those bottles, and he knew his friend was right.

One of the fish died. The other remaining in the bowl got fatter, because the person taking care of them didn't adjust the amount of feed to the decreased population. The medical reference book is now on the shelf of a colleague in oncology; the coloring books were uncovered. Any day now, they'll be making their way to the pediatrics ward.

The vase on Dr. Wilson's desk now has pink carnations. A patient had sent them to the three members of Dr. House's staff on as a gesture of thanks. Neither Foreman nor Chase wanted to keep them. Cameron did, but she had no office space for them, and she didn't feel it was proper to take them home because they were meant for the team. She put them on Dr. House's desk.

House felt that the carnations did not match the rest of his office, especially due to their effeminate color. So he told Wilson to take charge of them.

Wilson kept meaning to take the flowers home but somehow always forgot about them at the end of the day. Now, they're slightly wilted and unworthy of his wife. Besides, it was past Valentine's Day anyway.

Dr. Cuddy has replaced her mocha-flavored caffeine chews with mocha-flavored calcium chews bit by bit. The calcium chews feel less smooth, but they are healthier and do not require a follow-up mint.

She keeps her inhaler on her person now. After seeing a documentary on respiratory diseases, she questioned herself. Is it wise to keep my inhaler in my desk? What if something happened on the way to work? The fear is irractional because A) she works in a hospital B) she is a doctor and C) she hasn't had an attack in 9 months. But still...it's better to be safe.

The Chandler book is still in her bag. She hasn't had a chance to finish it.

Cameron has a few new songs on her MP3 player - Alive by Edwin, bells for her by Tori Amos, Girl by Tori Amos, Run by Collective Soul, Forgiveness by Collective Soul, and See you when you're 40 by Dido. Her lotion had run out, and she replaced it with a bottle of Bath and Body Works' Toasted Hazelnut.

In addition to a new coat (dark gray, silk blend lining), Foreman's locker contains a sketch of himself and Victoria's book of drawings. He keeps them on the top shelf, the loose sketch weighed under the book. He hopes to find a relation of hers, so that he may give her book to that person. It is the only remaining belonging, he would say to the relative, neglecting to mention the bag that smelled of vomit and the pictures he and Wilson left at the house.

Foreman lent his paperbacks to Chase.

Nothing in Chase's locker has changed. The paperbacks are in the lab.


  Please post a comment on this story.



Legal Disclaimer: The authors published here make no claims on the ownership of Dr. Gregory House and the other fictional residents of Princeton-Plainsboro Teaching Hospital. Like the television show House (and quite possibly Dr. Wilson's pocket protector), they are the property of Fox Television, David Shore and undoubtedly other individuals of whom I am only peripherally aware. The fan fiction authors published here receive no monetary benefit from their work and intend no copyright infringement nor slight to the actual owners. We love the characters and we love the show, otherwise we wouldn't be here.