The House Fan Fiction Archive

 

No Turning Back


by Katie


He was sitting alone at his apartment, sipping on a scotch, mindlessly playing something on the piano thinking about what had happened earlier that day. Why had she kissed him? First there was the Christmas present, then the birthday wish when he didn't even know it was his birthday, then the moment in the lab about her husband, and then the kiss. And he enjoyed all of them. There was definitely something going on between them and there shouldn't be. He was her superior. Old enough to be her father no doubt. But she was also gorgeous. Smart. Beautiful. And damaged. And interested in a mean old guy like him. Well, stranger things had happened in the history of the world. Like,

{Knock, knock}

He stopped playing and leaned his head in the direction of the door, sure he had misheard, but there it was again.

{Knock knock}

He sat down his scotch, grabbed his cane, and walked to the door. Opening the door expecting to see Wilson there after another bout with Julie but the person who was standing there could not have surprised him more. Cameron. There she was. Standing there looking as nervous as an expectant parent.

"Hi." She managed to squeak out.

"Cameron, what are you doing here?" Not that he wasn't a little happy to see her. Surprised and happy. The nights sitting in the apartment with no one for company but the piano and a glass of booze get a little depressing after awhile.

"I was out driving around, and ended up in your neighborhood, and I, um, thought I'd stop by. I hope that's ok." She looked like she was ready to bolt. He better say something before she made good on it. All of a sudden the last thing he wanted was to be alone tonight at this very moment.

"Come in." He stepped out of the way and she slowly entered the room taking everything in, making him wish for once he was at least somewhat of a tidy person. But she didn't seem to mind. She took off her jacket and laid it across the back of a chair. He motioned for her to sit down and she accepted.

"You play?" She asked, motioning to the piano, and for the first time in a great while he actually fought the urge to come back with a quick retort. "Yes, I do." She gave a little smile and went back to staring intently at her hands.

"So what really brings you here Cameron?" He asked, knowing full well she wasn't in his neighborhood; she lived a full 3 miles away. "I was sitting at home, thinking about all that's happened, and what I told you about my husband, and I was feeling very lonely and depressed. And you are the only person here that knows what happened. And I trust you. And I have the feeling that you know what it feels like to be lonely too. So I got in my car and came here because I figure we can keep each other company and each others minds off what we don't want to think about."

"Then can I ask you something that's been on my mind the past couple of days?" He asked, thinking the timing was right to get his answer to a question that's been playing on his mind, thinking that he cant believe that he trusts her too, and that he's comfortable with her, and scared of what her answer will be.

"Yea, sure." He gets up, and comes over to where she is sitting almost instinctively, and takes a seat next to her. He can see her sit straighter, but turn towards him nonetheless.

"Cameron, why did you kiss me the other day?" He says in barely a whisper. She can't take her eyes away from his, but knows she must or something will happen he might regret. She looks down at her hands and thinks of an answer. After a few minutes she still hasn't come up with one and she is purposely avoiding eye contact, hating herself forever coming there.

As if reading her mind, he brushes a strand of hair out her face and puts it behind her ear, "Cameron?" She raises her eyes to meet his and knows that there is no turning back now. Not that she would want to. But what if he does?

He knows that this is wrong. She shouldn't be there in the first place, in his apartment, on his couch, looking at him the way she is. But he does know one thing. He doesn't want her to leave. Not tonight.

He turns her face up to his and looks into her eyes, knowing there is no turning back now. After a second's hesitation, he leans in.

She can't believe this is happening. It wasn't her intention, well, maybe it was subconsciously, but she never thought it would happen and now it's about to. There's no turning back now. She starts to lean into him.

Their lips meet in a light kiss that surprises them both even though they both knew it was coming. After a few seconds, they both pull away and look at each other with surprise evident in their faces. And they kiss again, more urgently this time, his hands wrapped in her hair, her hands around his neck. They were both to wrapped up in the moment to think much of anything, but they both knew one thing, nothing was ever going to be the same again.


  Please post a comment on this story.



Legal Disclaimer: The authors published here make no claims on the ownership of Dr. Gregory House and the other fictional residents of Princeton-Plainsboro Teaching Hospital. Like the television show House (and quite possibly Dr. Wilson's pocket protector), they are the property of Fox Television, David Shore and undoubtedly other individuals of whom I am only peripherally aware. The fan fiction authors published here receive no monetary benefit from their work and intend no copyright infringement nor slight to the actual owners. We love the characters and we love the show, otherwise we wouldn't be here.