The House Fan Fiction Archive

 

Here Goes Nothing


by Katie


She stood outside his office door weighing her options. When he had come to see her today after she had spoken to the husband she told him more than she had intended too. He saw her vulnerable side, another thing she hadn't intended to happen. And now she felt obligated to say something to him about it or it would hang between them like an unspoken affair. But first she had to get up the nerve to do it. Its not that he was an unapproachable man, it was just that she opened herself up to him, something she hadn't intended to do, and she didn't want him to think, hell she didn't know what she didn't want him to think. She didn't even know what she was going to say to him. She never did. She just knew she had to talk to him.

"Cameron", as if using some sixth sense knowing she is there. "Are you going to come in here or stand there and hold up the wall all day?" Well, there was no turning back now. She grabs the handle to the door, takes a deep breath, and pulls open the door. With downcast eyes she enters the room, wringing her hands, hoping her nervousness isn't as apparent as she thinks it is. "Well?", he asks seeming irritated like he always is.

"I, um, just, about earlier today, I wanted to apologize. I usually don't get that emotional and I didn't mean to unload on you either. It just kind of hit home with me I guess and brought back some memories."

He seemed to get a little uncomfortable at the mention of what had happened earlier in the day. Getting up from his chair, he said "That's completely understandable. What happened to you shouldn't happen to anyone that young."

They both just stood there for a moment in silence, him leaning on his cane looking at her, she looking at her hands, somewhat surprised by his kindness twice in one day. All of sudden she realized how close they actually were, she didn't know why and also didn't know that at exactly the same time he realized it too. She finally got the nerve to look up and saw something in his eyes she hadn't seen before. There was almost a kindness there, a softening of sort. There eyes had locked, it made them both wonder what the hell was going on. Neither expected this when the conversation started.

"Why hasn't she left yet and why is she looking at me like that" was all he could think. However he couldn't bring himself to move from that position or draw himself away from her eyes either. "Well, this is interesting."

She had to do something. They couldn't stand here like this all day, someone was bound to come in, Chase, Foreman, Dr. Wilson. "Ok, here goes nothing."

"Well, like I said I just wanted to thank you for being there for me. I appreciate it Dr. House." And with that she stepped forward, leaned up and placed a light kiss on his cheek. While he stood there stunned she turned and practically ran out of the room.

"I have to say something before she's gone" he thought, as she was beating her hasty retreat. "Dr. Cameron." She stopped for just a second and turned around, her eyes slowly meeting his revealing the slight blush on her cheeks. "Your welcome."

With this she gave a nod and a small smile and continued her retreat from the room, leaving him standing there speechless. What had just happened? And why had he liked it? Well, he didn't really have time to think about that right now, he had to get to the clinic before Dr. Cuddy, or Attila the Hun, as he has so affectionately taken to calling her comes looking for him. But as he walked out of his office he had one last thought, when is he going to see Cameron again?


  Please post a comment on this story.



Legal Disclaimer: The authors published here make no claims on the ownership of Dr. Gregory House and the other fictional residents of Princeton-Plainsboro Teaching Hospital. Like the television show House (and quite possibly Dr. Wilson's pocket protector), they are the property of Fox Television, David Shore and undoubtedly other individuals of whom I am only peripherally aware. The fan fiction authors published here receive no monetary benefit from their work and intend no copyright infringement nor slight to the actual owners. We love the characters and we love the show, otherwise we wouldn't be here.