Home
 

The Queen and the Quail


by Kate Roman


Pairing: Jack/James
Rating: NC-17
Disclaimer: Pirates of the Caribbean is owned by Disney, etc. No infringement intended.
Originally Posted: 5/21/11
Note: Prequel to Casa Isla
Summary: Close enough Norrington could smell sweat and rum and something else, some undefinable musk that sent Norrington's blood rushing chaotically through his veins, his pulse racing.



They weren't even supposed to be in Spain.

The situation between Spain and His Majesty's royal navy had deteriorated to the point where even muttering the word "armada" was grounds for at the very least an extra shift or two topside with a mop in hand, if not a boot up the arse from one or two of the older tars. The tradewinds had begun carrying word of war between the two nations and James Norrington, rising quickly through the naval ranks, felt a stirring in his blood he'd long forgotten. A stirring he'd only felt thrice before in his young life.

The first time he'd been standing on the Gallant's deck, a musket to his shoulder, taking aim at the filthy swine flying the hated bones and black, men of no morals or discipline who, nonetheless, had pulled alongside and made known their intentions to board. Pirates! Norrington hadn't thought twice about defending His Majesty's honor and bullion from such scoundrels. Then the dirtiest of the lot had swung across the yawning blue chasm between the ships and before Norrington could draw breath had grasped the barrel of the musket and stepped in close. Close enough Norrington could smell sweat and rum and something else, some undefinable musk that sent Norrington's blood rushing chaotically through his veins, his pulse racing. The pirate grinned and the sun winked off the gold in his front tooth. He'd pushed his thigh between Norrington's own suggestively, grin widening...

Then he'd knocked Norrington out cold with his own musket.

Norrington had repaid him for it later, of course, because the second time they met, Jack had been in shackles, having fallen afoul of the local constabulary in West Bengal. The Gallant had just happened to put into port at Haldia for repair and supplies and Norrington had been the only one aboard with a decent command of Bengali. He'd followed Captain Stevedore along the narrow, wood-swollen piers to the government building and, while ostensibly haggling over the price of a docking permit, Norrington had happened to glance up and see Jack staring at him through the bars of his cell. The harbormaster had given the Gallant a slight discount on the price on the condition that they take Jack Sparrow far, far away from Haldia. In fact, out of all India for preference.

Norrington had explained it to Captain Stevedore in only the roughest terms and then shrugged his shoulders. "Bureaucracy is still an international currency."

"Not for long, my boy, not for long." The captain had pounded him heartily on the back and produced a glass bottle of rum from somewhere in the pockets of his uniform jacket. The prisoner had been produced post-haste.

Even shackled, Jack had grinned at Norrington, a slow salacious smile that caused that same violent rush of blood, that particular roaring in his ears. Then, while captain and harbormaster sealed the deal over small tin cups, Norrington had remembered the smarting in his jaw, the jeers from the other men when he'd come to. He took a deep breath and belted Jack with everything he had.

Jack's smile, when it returned, had simply widened, raising an eyebrow with it.

The third time—

Norrington blushed every time he thought of it, half-shame, half-longing.

Late that evening while Norrington stood watch in Halia's harbor, Jack had undressed for him in the brig, slow and teasing, whispering things—shameful things—through the bars. It was as if he'd known all along all the things Norrington didn't dare say in the light, until he was pressing himself up against the bars, pushing his cock through them, teasing Norrington, daring him.

The keys somehow found the lock and then the bars swung aside in the moonlight.

It had been Norrington's first time.

It had hurt and then it hadn't. Then it had felt amazing, the heat of Jack's skin against his, Jack murmuring the lewdest things in Norrington's ear, telling him how good his sweet young arse felt, how tight and hot, until Norrington was crying aloud with every stroke, not with pain but with untrammeled pleasure at being taken and had in a way he'd never dreamed of before.

In the morning of course, Norrington woke up alone in an empty cell. Then there'd been official recriminations and unofficial jeers, a black mark on his record. A demotion.

After that, four very long, very lonely years had passed, during which Norrington did everything in his power not to think of Captain Jack Sparrow, at least not more than once or twice every day.

Despite Captain Stevedore's orders, some of the boys decided to take a longboat to Majorca. The captain himself had disembarked for some high-level official meetings, which Norrington had come to learn involved rum, more rum, sea shanties sung badly in multiple languages and on one memorable occasion, rescuing Stevedore from a Panamanian jail cell. They were safe for a good twenty-four hours, minimum.

They drew straws to see who'd go, Norrington entering the contest only reluctantly, his sense of duty smarting even four years later.

He'd won, and one choppy, sunbaked crossing later, found himself in a rotten, rum-soaked hostelry on the island's southern coast called La reina Codorniz.

It had taken only a few pieces of sterling before the sailors were accepted into the loud, overheated belly of the bar, and a few more before they were taken to the bosoms of the local wenches, all of whom seemed fluent in whatever language each seaman chose.

Norrington sat at the end of a rough plank table, a pint of ale untouched before him. Shrill laughter warred with gruff, angry voices and the full-throated whine of an accordian. Surrounded by drunken strangers enjoying the best the island had to offer, Norrington couldn't think of the last time he'd felt so alone.

"Comprarme un trago?" A heavy-bosomed wench nudged Norrington's elbow. He turned his back with a quick headshake.

"Por favor," she continued in high, lyrical voice. "Estado tan sediento desde que vi la última vez."

Norrington focused on two of his shipmates in the far corner, teaching a cat to dance for scraps of roast chicken skin.

"That last bit means I've missed you, James," said a familiar voice.

Norrington froze.

"You didn't think I'd forgotten all about the good turn you did me, did you? And I remember it as being a very good turn indeed."

He turned around slowly.

Leaning over the table toward him, in a low-cut frilled blouse and full skirt, was none other than Captain Jack Sparrow. The beard and mustache had gone, and Jack sported eyeliner, bracelets and thick gold hoops in his ears instead. His long black hair was pulled back and teased and his lips glistened red by the hearthlight.

Heart spiked with anger, Norrington rose from his seat.

Jack laid a strong hand on his arm. "Careful now, love. With an accent like yours, I wouldn't think you'd want to draw too much attention. Especially not by having another go at the fair Isa."

Norrington frowned. "The fair what?"

"Isa."

The frown deepened.

"Isa. The fair. Me!" Jack whispered loudly.

Norrington rolled his eyes but retook his seat. "I assure you, madam, I see nothing fair before me. I see a scoundrel, a liar and a- a- a pirate! Even in that get-up, I doubt anyone would mistake you for anything else."

"There's at least two men in this room who've made that mistake and gladly. Although now I come to think of it, the last one did seem a bit confused about his own plumbing, so—"

"I'll see you hanged!" Norrington hissed.

Jack grinned. "Oh I am, James. As you well know."

"I'm sure the local constabulary won't find your wit half as amusing as the price on your head. Summoning them will be a pleasure."

Jack released Norrington's arm. "If you're sure that's the only pleasure you're after." He leaned forward, eyes flashing. "Of course, you could always call them...after."

Then the familiar rush came over Norrington again, the pounding of blood in his ears, the indefinable something that made his heart soar and his loins throb.

With a swirl of skirts, Jack turned and pushed away from the table. He threaded himself nimbly through the crowd and headed for a narrow, rickety staircase against the back wall of the tavern.

And after a few seconds, Norrington found himself following.


 

***

 



It hurt less this time, and the pleasure was faster in coming.

Jack pinned Norrington to the bed, cock buried deep. Each thrust sent icy hot shivers running the length of Norrington's spine, eroding his control, his concentration, until all he could do was whimper at each bold movement. He hadn't wanted this, hadn't wanted to want Jack, but the rough manner of his taking was also his undoing. Jack's kisses—more teeth than tongue and lips—peppered his skin and as he felt Jack's cock swell inside him, the pace slowing, slowing 'til it was interminably languid. Norrington cried his pleasure.

Jack buried his face against the side of Norrington's neck, cock pulsing thickly. Norrington's own cock followed suit, spattering Jack's thickly furred torso with jets of hot seed. Norrington writhed and gasped his way through the onslaught of sensation, clinging to it, to the feelings Jack conjured in his tender back passage. Jack too, moved slowly, gently now, whispering terms of endearment more soft than salty, until finally the two men lay spent and motionless together on the bed.

Oh God, Norrington thought, I've done it again. With a- a-

Jack slid a hand along Norrington's jaw and captured his mouth in a long, smoldering kiss. Norrington's cock gave a weak twitch against Jack's thigh.

"Sleep," Jack whispered. "There'll be time enough for panic later."

And overwhelmed by an exhaustion both physical and emotional, Norrington had no choice but to obey.

He awoke sometime later in Jack's arms, and after a brief moment where duty warred with desire, he became aware of Jack's hand on his cock, stroking languorously. His whole life lay ahead for duty, Norrington reflected. He stretched a little, pushing his backside against Jack's thigh.

"We're awake are we?" Jack thumbed the underside of Norrington's cockhead.

Stifling a groan, Norrington pushed his hips back a little harder.

"That's the way, my beauty," Jack murmured. "Just like that. Show me how you like it, James. Show me you need this as badly as I do. That you've been dreaming of the day we'd meet again."

Norrington whined with impatience as Jack turned him over and pulled his hips back, shoving a pillow under his throbbing cock. He heard the sound of spit, then wet fingers slicking his aching hole. Norrington scrabbled for purchase on the edges of the thin mattress as Jack's blunt cockhead nudged his entrance again.

"That's the way," Jack hissed. "Just—" His words died away in a moan and he sank to the hilt in Norrington's needing arse.

Norrington dropped his forehead to the sheets at the feel of being filled again, being taken. Used.

Then Jack was pounding into him, hard and fast and rough. Norrington held onto the mattress and rode out Jack's storm.


 

***

 



"I'm bruised," Norrington said later, indignantly.

He drew Jack's attention to a set of finger-shaped marks on his hip.

"Hardly," Jack countered. "That, on the other hand, is definitely a bite mark."

Norrington regarded the reddened mark on his arm with disfavour. "Thank you, fair Isa. Now I'll have something to remember you by."

Jack raised his head from Norrington's shoulder. "Leaving so soon?"

"I... hadn't planned on it, but duty calls, I suppose."

"And you always answer?" Jack laid his head back down. "What if I call? Will you answer then?"

Norrington rolled over in Jack's arms and answered with a kiss. That seemed to mollify his lover and for a few minutes, the two of them lay together in sated contentment.

"Sail with me." Jack murmured. "Promise you'll come away with me and see the world—" He kissed the shell of Norrington's ear. "From the deck of a real ship. One that—"

"A real ship?" Norrington sat up quickly and pulled the sheet around him. "A pirate ship?"

"Technically, the Pearl's more of a freelance opportunist," Jack mumbled. "If we need to get specific."

"I think we should get specific in this particular instance. Jack, what do you take me for? A- a- a p—"

"Well actually I just took you for an amazing lay. Twice....since we're being specific." Jack sat up and rubbed his eyes. "Look James, I don't know how to tell you this but in the first, I am, in fact, what you might call, a pirate. And two—" He held up a finger while Norrington protested. "Two—two, James, please—" Jack's voice broke.

Norrington fell silent.

"Two... James... I don't understand it myself but you, and me, and...James, do you know how hard I've been searching for you?"

"...By working as a Spanish trollop in a run-down island tavern? Yes, you've really gone the distance, Jack." Norrington rose from the bed with as much dignity as he could muster. He let the sheet drop to the floor. "Captain Jack Sparrow, I am placing you in custody. In the name of His Majesty King—"

"James, don't make me do this."

"I hereby declare you under my command and subject to all His Majesty's laws and strictures and command you to return with me to England to face trial for charges of theft, treason—"

"James." Sighing, Jack climbed off the bed. The two men stood naked facing each other in the moonlight. "Be reasonable."

"And piracy. Please place your hands in front of you and—"

"James," Jack said softly.

"What?"

"I...." Jack began. "I... l—" He stopped. "I l—"

Norrington watched the pirate struggle with his emotions. It looked not unlike someone trying to swallow a particularly terrible mouthful of blancmange.

"James, I very much, I seem to ha—that is—" Jack took a deep breath. "I like you, James. A lot more than I had anticipated. So you see how awful it would be if you were to arrest me, given what I've just said."

Norrington thought about it. "Poppycock."

Jack leapt back, looking shocked. Then he leaned forward and peered at Norrington in confusion.

"You don't like anyone, Captain Sparrow. Not even yourself. That's why you're a pirate. That's why you take to the pure blue waterways and sully them with your insolence, greed and unneeded violence. A deep-seated hatred of anything pure and unsullied, shortly followed by the need to sully it."

Jack narrowed his eyes. "You haven't seemed to mind a good sully so far."

Norrington ignored him. "You're unredeemably committed to a life of—of..." he faltered, and closed his eyes. He wasn't sure how he'd managed to get himself out so far on this particular branch, and now there seemed no way back. And truth be told, sullying or not, the things Jack did to him felt incredible. "Jack," he groaned, "why must you make this so hard?"

There was no answer.

Norrington opened his eyes. He was alone in the dingy room, his only company the sighing of the breeze through the now-open window, bringing with it smells of stale fried fish and aromatic pipe smoke. Rough, low voices drifted up from the alley below but Norrington knew without a doubt, none of them were Jack.

A coldness stole over Norrington despite the languid heat of the evening. He dropped heavily onto the end of the bed, still pungent with the smell of their sex. His eyes adjusted to the darkness, and after a few long minutes, Norrington rose and dressed, determined to consume an absolutely criminal amount of rum.


 

***

 



The next morning dawned with a piercing intensity that lanced through Norrington like a sabre, and he promptly responded by rolling over and heaving what little remained in his stomach onto the cobblestones. Someone slapped him manfully on the back and someone else laughed too close and too loud. Norrington rose to his knees with only a small amount of wobbling, and his shipmates helped him to his feet, their laughter setting his head ringing. More than a few of them were in the same state as he and the previous night returned to Norrington only in intermittant and unwelcome flashes.

Norrington let the cool plaster of the old inn hold him up as he listened to halting, half-Spanish, half-English negotiations for something involving ....a donkey? Surely that wasn't right. He knew he should be more worried about a parcel of His Majesty's finest, shipwrecked on the far coast of an island belonging to one of England's mortal enemies, but all that felt so far away when he remembered the previous evening.

"C'mon lad," Seaman Bates grabbed Norrington under the shoulders and unceremoniously hauled him to his feet. "We've a ship to catch. Unless these blasted furriners have set her alight while we 'ad our fun." Bates' broad Northern accent usually grated on Norrington, but at that moment he was simply thankful he didn't have to walk unaided.

Bates and the others led him to a rough wood cart that stank of chickens and offal, pulled by a suspicious-eyed grey donkey. Norrington simply curled up into a corner and grabbed the sides with both hands, resolute in keeping upright. The cart creaked under their combined weight and it took several switches before the donkey could be persuaded to get them moving, winding down the long, narrow road leading back toward the ocean and home. Norrington swore he could feel every cobblestone, every jounce and lurch as they passed through the still-sleeping town. The windows of the houses lay open, letting in the cool morning air, and a few elderly senoras took time from their chores to scowl at the cart as it passed.

One, in particular, made some complicated sign with her fingers—a local superstition against the evil eye, Norrington guessed—then went back to berating a much younger woman, who sat in a penitent's pose on the doorstep.

The cart ambled along, keeping time with the rising sun, and Norrington looked back at the young woman just in time to see her raise her head and grin, sunlight flashing off the gold in her teeth. She winked and raised a hand, fluttering fingers in farewell.

Norrington stared back at where she'd sat, long after the cart turned and made its final descent into the harbor and back to the waiting Gallant.


  Leave a Comment


Disclaimer: All characters from the Pirates of the Caribbean universe are the property of Disney et al, and the actors who portrayed them. Neither the authors and artists hosted on this website nor the maintainers profit from the content of this site.
All content is copyrighted by its creator.