The Glitter Jungle:
Fiction:
 
 

Future Legend
Lex Luthor is tired now. Superman/Lex
Cover
 
 

Lex looked down. So far up the LexCorp Tower, he could barely see the people down on the ground. All he saw was movement - and a lot of it. The press must've heard in the first five minutes. Police was there, probably ambulances, all the usual suspects. Superman should be getting here any minute now. Lex made sure Superman was specifically informed of the situation.

He could hear the cops trying to break down the door to his suite. In a moment, it wouldn't matter anymore; he could jump long before they even reached the glass doors of the balcony. He just wanted Superman to be here for this. This is, after all, what the alien had been waiting for. Lex Luthor's demise.

He could see the fast approaching blue spot in the sky, flying towards him. Superman's here.

Lex heard the door break open.

He let go of the railing.

And sailed down.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Lex felt his rapid drop slow down. He hadn't meant to close his eyes; he wanted to see the ground coming towards him at high speed. He wanted to taste the last moment of his life. But apparently his eyelids shut involuntarily in the wind. And now he wasn't falling quite so fast anymore. He opened his eyes to see blue, red, yellow. Right in front of his face.

He was dimly aware of the cameras flashing below him; the yelling, the people. His arms held to his body in a grip of steel, preventing even a thought of struggle. And he was slowly rising, going back up to the balcony from which he'd leapt.

~*~*~*~*~*~

"It's okay, I'll take care of Mr. Luthor from now on."

Lex thought the voice sounded familiar, but couldn't place it. Couldn't place anything.

~*~*~*~*~*~

"Why did you stop me?"

A shocked look from Superman. As if it was the most natural thing in the world for him to help Lex.

"I called you here so you can rejoice in my fall. Pun intended."

A hand that could crush diamonds caressing Lex's head softly.

"No, you didn’t."

"Yes, I did."

An indulging smile.

"Then why did you take the ring off?"

Lex looked to his side. There, on the night stand, was the lead box holding his ring of green rock that always made it impossible for Superman to touch him. He took it off prior to climbing over the balcony railing and starting this whole mess.

~*~*~*~*~*~

"Are you up again?"

Superman. In his ridiculous spandex uniform and a frilly apron, clearing the debris in the Luthor suite. Lex would've laughed if he had any air left in him, any strength at all. He managed a small, pale smile before sinking back into the covers.

~*~*~*~*~*~

"Lex?"

I'm tired. Leave me alone.

"Mr. Luthor? You have to drink."

How long has it been?

"If you don't drink, I'll have to let a doctor come in here."

He rasped, "How long?" but couldn't complete the sentence. That's okay. Superman understood.

"You tried... you jumped yesterday. That's almost twenty hours. I let you sleep, but you really need to drink something."

Lex gestured to the cabinet across from the bed. Superman looked at him, then at the cabinet. Seeing right through it, no doubt.

"Not alcohol. I meant milk, or water. Orange juice, if you want. Tea?"

Lex almost grinned at the wholesome Americana of this... creature, who came from so far away. It was so... "milk and cookies."

He must've fallen asleep again, because he woke up to find a glass of milk and a small plate of chocolate chip cookies on the night stand. He had to chuckle, voice low and weak, feeling like sandpaper in his raw throat. His eyes itched. He raised his hand to them.

A wet towel touched his face gently. Superman.

"You were crying. In your sleep, and when you were up. I think you're dehydrated. You cried a *lot*."

Lex shook his head. Luthors don't cry.

But he drank half the milk before settling back into the covers and not crying.

~*~*~*~*~*~

It's been three days. Lex hadn't come out of the bed apart from a few short trips to the bathroom. He had a nagging suspicion that Superman was constantly watching him, even through the closed door.

He hadn't spoken to anyone. His assistant came in to tell him the press was taken care of, along with everything else. Lex just nodded. He didn't care. His accountant came in to tell him business would take care of itself, for a few weeks even, if that's what he needed. Lex looked at him blankly. His lawyer came in to ask if it was okay that Superman just took it upon himself to care for Lex after the unfortunate incident. Lex just shrugged, but Superman yelled.

"He jumped off a balcony! That's the unfortunate incident. He needs rest and someone to look after him, and I'm not *asking* you if I can stay here with Mr. Luthor, I'm fucking *telling* you!"

No one had ever heard Superman, America's Good Boy, use such language before. Even Lex stirred from his hazy state of mind. The lawyer backed away quickly.

A doctor came to ask Lex how he feels. Lex told her everything was fine, that the world was beautiful, and that he loved himself and all of god's creatures. He said all of that in a cold, dead voice. The doctor looked at Superman, who just shrugged. They were whispering near the door as the doctor was leaving; Lex knew they were talking about him, but he didn't care.

At least he ate and drank. That should keep them happy.

And somehow it was reassuring, having Superman's presence there all the time. Even if he did watch Lex pee.

~*~*~*~*~*~

And on the fourth day, Superman had had enough.

"Get up."

Lex didn't even blink. He definitely didn't move. He just kept staring at the empty TV screen by his bed, like he'd done in the past three days.

"Get up, Luthor. Now."

Lex thought to himself idly, in the old days, I'd get a killer hard-on from this voice saying things like that. Now? Nothing. Dead on the inside, if not on the outside.

"Get up, or I'll make you get up."

Lex looked at Superman now. Not exactly curious. More like a bored cat. Wondering what would happen next.

Well, what happened next was Superman hauling him bodily out of bed.

"You need to shower. You reek. And I think you'll feel better."

I'm dead already. I don't need to feel better. Lex was quiet.

And Superman washed him. Fucking *washed* him. Put him in the tub, held his head and neck above water with one hand, and rubbed soap all over Lex's skin with the other. Lex was vaguely aroused by the sight of this hand, the most powerful hand on earth, lathering his private parts. If he squinted, it almost looked like the beginning of an erection right there. He still didn't say a word.

Although he did feel a bit better.

~*~*~*~*~*~

"Your dad called."

Lex was 'improving', or so Superman had said. After a week, he changed his clothes on his own. He brushed his teeth in the mornings. He had his meals at the table and not in bed. He still hadn't come out of the suite, though.

He looks up at Superman, surprised.

Surprise is good. It's an emotion.

"He wanted to come here. I told him to wait a while. That no one can see you."

Lex smiles. He could imagine his father's reaction.

"He was kinda angry, I think."

Did he even care?

Superman puts another helping of pasta on Lex's plate.

"Carbohydrates. Good for you."

Lex looks at his plate.

"Does he care?"

Superman doesn't look at him.

"About the pasta?"

Lex doesn't even bother saying 'you know what I mean'.

"Of course he cares, Lex. He nearly bit my head off over the phone when I told him he can't talk to you."

An image of his father's head coming out of the receiver, roaring, flashed through Lex's mind. He smiled.

~*~*~*~*~*~

"Why did you stay?"

"Huh?"

Superman heard him, Lex was sure of it. He was trying to buy time.

"Why did you stay after..." He couldn't bring himself to say 'after you saved me'. That's how all the papers must've spun the story. The heroic Superman saving his worst enemy's life, after the weak Lex Luthor tried to off himself. Lex hadn't read the papers all week. It was the first time since he'd learned to read, at the age of four, that he hadn’t read the dailies.

"You needed me." Superman's easy, carefree voice. The fake one.

"No, I didn't. I didn't need you to catch me, and I definitely didn't need you afterwards. I can afford the best doctors, nurses, psychologists and any type of therapists I choose, round the clock."

Superman just looks at him, like they're not even speaking the same language. And sometimes Lex thinks that maybe that's the case.

~*~*~*~*~*~

"I'm fine now."

"No, you're not.

"I'm fine, and I want to go out."

"You can go out. It's great that you want to go out. It's healthy. But you're not going without me."

Superman is standing there with his hands on his hips, and he looks like someone's angry mother. But Lex will not give in without a fight.

"I don't need a baby-sitter, Superman."

"Like hell you don't."

And Lex has to admit, even if only to himself, that if he was left alone and the opportunity presented itself, he's not sure he could resist the temptation.

"I will not go out with a man in blue tights, Superman. I have my standards." Subtly changing the terms of agreement.

And Superman smiles.

"I'm really glad you still have your fightin' spirit, Lex. I thought it was all gone."

Lex is startled at the familiarity.

"I can wear normal clothes over this thing. But you have to promise me not to tell people... that I'm me. That I'm Superman."

Lex wonders if they won't recognise him on their own, but before he opens his mouth, Superman says, "This outfit sort of changes the way I look. I mean, people can't recognise my face when I'm wearing it. It's weird."

Lex opens his mouth to ask his next question.

"I don't know how it works, so don't look at me all scientist-like."

Lex shuts his mouth.

Superman turns to pick up some of Lex's clothes, from Lex's closet. Lex likes the idea for reasons he can't think about now.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Clark Kent comes out of the walk-in closet.

Clark fucking Kent. Innocent little Clark Kent, Lex's only friend in *ever*, just walks into the room, looking at Lex. Kinda blushing, staring at his feet, not sure what Lex will do.

And Lex decides that maybe he doesn't want to go out for a walk right now.

Maybe he's not quite up to it just yet.

~*~*~*~*~*~

"I'm sorry?"

"For what?" Lex's voice is dry and flat. Dead. Clark fucking Kent. Who'd'a thought.

"Lex? Maybe we can try to go out later?"

Lex just huddles back into the blankets which have been his fortress for the past week and a half. Covers his shoulders, his whole body. Only his head is left outside. Staring at pretty little Clark Kent, all grown up now, reporter at the Daily Planet, and fucking saviour of mankind. Sworn enemy and early twenties crush. Clark Kent. All fantasies wrapped into one. Lex's fantasy about seducing a young innocent farmboy, which was never fulfilled. Lex's fantasy about an actual relationship with someone who cared about him, which was never fulfilled. Lex's fantasy about Superman holding him down and forcing him to *take* all that strength, make him *beg* for it. Also never fulfilled. And all this time... Clark fucking Kent. Unbelievable.

"Lex?"

~*~*~*~*~*~

Lex doesn't even know what to ask.

'Since when?'

Don't be an idiot, Lex. He was born that way. Arrived with the meteors, probably.

'Why didn't you tell me?'

Because he was afraid. You would be too. Secrets are a thing you know all too well.

'Does my father know?'

Probably not. You can tell by the fact that Clark is in one piece.

"So how's your mother?"

Lex had always liked Martha.

~*~*~*~*~*~

"She's fine."

Uncertain look. Now that Lex knows this is the mighty Superman, the innocent-small-wounded routine just seems odd.

"She's... worried about you."

Bitter chuckle. "I'm sure she is."

"Lex!" Clark looks offended. "She always cared about you."

"I want to go back to sleep."

~*~*~*~*~*~

Superman is here again. Clark's gone.

Superman is talking to Lex's assistant in the hall, telling her Mr. Luthor is going on vacation.

"Where *is* Smallville anyway?"

Superman almost looks offended at the dismissal of what he can't tell her is his hometown. When you know it's Clark, you know what to look for, you can recognise parts of the body language, facial expressions, certain speech patterns.

"It's here, in Kansas. A couple of hours away."

"For how long?"

"As long as it takes. Mr. Luthor will be carrying his cellular phone, and you can reach him at any time. But please don't, unless it's a real emergency?"

And no one could ever resist that charm and that smile even when he was a nobody schoolboy, so obviously no one can resist it now that he's Superman, Man of Steel. She promises not to call unless necessary.

Lex ponders lazily whether his entire corporation will go down the drain. He comes to an unexpected realisation that he really, really could care less.

It makes him think that maybe he should worry about that, but he can't quite bring himself to worry. Or to feel much of anything.

But he's a lot less jaded than he was before.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Lex is in the back seat of an old, dented car, in his sweatpants and t-shirt, all curled up in the blankets from the suite. It would've been embarrassing, except that it's the middle of the night and no one's around.

Clark puts two suitcases in the trunk, his own and Lex's. A few clothes, some personal items, and a cellular phone, switched off.

The lead box remains in the suite.

"Why not just fly there?"

Clark shrugs. "I like road trips."

Lex can't help but smile. "It's about a two-hour drive, Clark. Not much of a trip."

Clark starts the car, or at least tries to. A lot of coughs and bangs happen, and Clark says, "In one of your cars, maybe. In this, it's just over three hours. If it doesn't break down on the way."

Lex takes this information in quietly.

"And thanks."

"What?"

"For calling me Clark. You haven't done that in a long time."

Lex hadn't even noticed.

~*~*~*~*~*~

They're halfway there and no one's said a word yet. Every now and again Clark hums a few notes off a song, half-heartedly, and then it dies out. Lex just stares out the back seat window at the fields passing by.

"Why did you jump?"

Clark's tone is so casual.

Lex is quiet for a long time.

Then the tears start falling again.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Clark pulls over. In a heartbeat, he's opening the back seat door and hugging Lex. Holding him as silent tears run down his face. Holding him as he slips out of the car, still wrapped in the blankets. Sitting by the car, leaning against the tire, holding Lex to his chest and just letting him. Letting him be or do what he wants.

Lex just wants to stay here, face buried in Clark's shoulder, soundlessly crying.

That's okay.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Clark parks near his parents' house. Takes the sleeping, exhausted Lex out of the back seat, cocooned in his covers.

Lex opens his eyes, but doesn't wake up.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Lex is dreaming.

He falls down, and down, and the blue air turns grey and then black. Not real black; dark grey like a turned off TV screen.

He falls into this greyness and it's all peace and quiet down there.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Lex wakes up and think maybe he *is* dead.

Because he doesn't feel too bad, and that's a whole new feeling he's very much unaccustomed to.

He gets up from the bed gingerly, acutely aware that nothing aches and that the world doesn't feel like it's going to shatter around him any minute now.

He feels lighter.

He's wandering around the room, touching things but not moving them. Looking outside the window, but not opening it. He has a strange, fragile feeling.

The room smells of fucking *apple pie*, and that's when Lex recalls he was on his way to Smallville. He thought Clark would bring him to the castle, which is still there and still maintained by the staff even though no one plans on using it.

Instead... he's on the Kent farm.

He can hear voices downstairs but he can't quite discern them.

Lex knows he can't delay it anymore. At some point he'll have to face the world.

He walks outside.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Having washed his face and brushed his teeth, Lex feels more presentable. He's still wearing the clothes he'd slept in; his toothbrush was on the night stand but the suitcase itself isn't there and he doesn't know where all his clothes are. But he's composed and he at least *seems* strong on the outside, so he gathers all his courage and goes down the stairs.

Two pairs of startled eyes look at him. Martha pulls herself together first.

"Good morning, Lex." She smiles at him. He smiles back.

She motions at the table. "Would you like some breakfast?" Everything is so very normal he doesn't know how to cope. He keeps smiling and goes to sit by the table. The sunlight almost hurts his eyes.

Clark sits next to him. Silently offering him a piece of pie. Lex accepts it, takes a mouthful, and he's utterly surprised at feeling the taste of it. It tastes wonderful. Everything in the past few years tasted... stale, flat. This tastes like an actual apple pie. And a rather good one at that.

"This is great, Mrs. Kent." And he actually means it.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Lex and Clark are upstairs. They have a lot to talk about.

Lex is still in bed, curled up in the covers, but the window is open. He realises how much he missed the fresh air on his face. For two weeks the windows in his suite at the LexCorp Tower were shut. He didn't want the light or the sun or the wind. But now he enjoys the clear blue sky.

It still hurts inside, but the surface of his skin begins to feel alive again.

"So, an alien, huh." This really isn't going to be an easy conversation.

"Sorry." Clark looks like a kicked puppy. His face is filled with guilt. Lex doesn't understand.

"For what?"

"The meteors. Everything bad that happened to you because of them."

Lex shrugs. "Nothing bad happened." And then he realises.

"The hair? Are you talking about my hair, Clark?" The boy, no, the young man, nods. Lex almost laughs. He would've laughed, if he was capable of it.

"Do you honestly believe my life would be much easier if I still had flaming red hair which my father would've undoubtedly made me grow long as a child?"

Clark looks like he's never thought about that angle before. Lex makes a shallow breathing sound through his nose which can be considered laughter, if one insists.

"Besides, you were, like, how old? Three?"

Clark nods again. "Yea, pretty much."

"I think I'll forgive you."

Clark smiles uncertainly.

~*~*~*~*~*~

"And at first I didn't tell you because I was scared. Then after that... You really didn't like Superman." Clark is avoiding Lex's eyes. He doesn't want to mention the numerous times Luthor had tried to destroy him. It's not as if Lex knew who he was. He shrugs. "Besides, we kinda lost touch."

Lex nods. He hears all the things Clark doesn't say.

"You know, my dad always thought you were trying to seduce me."

Lex almost spits the tap water he's been drinking. Clark promised to go to town with him and buy his favourite bottled brand when he felt up to it.

"Back when you were living here, in Smallville. My mom thought so too, but she never cared." Clark seems uncomfortable talking about it, but not half as uncomfortable as Lex feels. He's looking at Clark, and Clark is looking anywhere but at Lex. Instead he's staring out the window, at the pink sky.

"We've been talking all night," Clark says, "It's almost five o'clock, I promised my dad I'll help him with the cows." And with that he's up and away. Lex feels the rush of wind before he registers the words. By that time, Clark's already gone.

~*~*~*~*~*~

He was flying, he can fly. Free and breathing in the cool blue air like it's cool blue water. Then Clark was flying there too, only he wasn't Clark, he was a bird. A Clark-bird. Circling around him, getting closer and closer, and the sky turned red. He wasn't flying anymore; he was falling, and his father was standing on the balcony and looking down at him with sad, sad eyes. Clark was on a balcony across from him, but Clark's balcony was floating in mid-air, not connected to anything. And Lex fell.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Lex woke up in a sweat. He didn't think he could sleep after what Clark had said, but obviously he managed. It was almost noon.

He couldn't interpret the dream, and that annoyed him.

But it was probably time to call his father anyway.

~*~*~*~*~*~

"Dad?"

"Lex? Where are you? Your assistant wouldn't tell me; you should fire her."

"Hello, dad. And how are you?"

"Lex, what are you doing? Is Superman there?"

"I'm fine, really. Feeling much better."

"Lex..." His father's voice nearly broke. It was weak and tired, and Lex had never heard him like that.

"Superman... we're okay now." Lex needed to reassure his father that he wasn't being held captive by his worst enemy.

"Okay?" The word came out of Lionel's mouth as if he had to wash it first, and possibly repaint it.

"We've overcome our differences." Lex didn't mention that overcoming the differences included sitting in Superman's kitchen, eating fried eggs Superman's mom had made for him, and not telling her that he knows she knew he was hitting on her son when he was in high-school.

"I see." His father was quietly bristling on the other end of the line, and still no questions about what matters.

There was silence.

It lasted.

A few minutes.

"Can I see you?" and at the same time, "Would you like to come over next week?"

"Yes. Next week. Where are you?"

But Lex didn't fall for that.

"In Kansas. I'll call you next week and we'll arrange to meet."

He clicked the phone shut.

~*~*~*~*~*~

"Who was that?"

When Lex walked back into the kitchen, Martha seemed concerned; his face was pale and he looked drained, even though he'd just woken up.

"My dad."

"Ah."

Lex sat down heavily at the table. He wasn't even forty, and he already moved like an old man. He thought of his father, still agile and sharp at his age. He wondered if he'd ever even get to be that age.

"We scheduled a visit, he'll be here in a few days. I'll move to the manor..."

He's interrupted in mid-sentence. Clark's at the door frame.

"No."

Both Lex and Martha look at Clark, expecting an explanation.

"I mean..." Backtracking from the decisive tone which he knew will only antagonise Lex. "I think it would be better if you stayed here."

Lex waits for more incentive, even though he really doesn't want to leave anyway.

Clark seems to sense that. So does Martha.

"You're always welcome in our home," she says and smiles at him. Clark nods and walks to sit across from Lex at the large old table Lex remembers from the first time he visited this kitchen, so many years ago.

"I want you to stay," he says. Holds his hand over the wooden surface and has to wait a moment for Lex to reach across and touch it. They hold hands while Martha's back is turned. She's washing the dishes, even though there aren't any in the sink.

~*~*~*~*~*~

"I'll still have to meet him at the mansion."

Holding the phone to his chest.

"Why?"

"Because I can't meet him here!"

"Why?"

And Lex just doesn't have the strength to argue, and beyond that, he feels like he just doesn't care. Those games with his dad are really...

He doesn't have to play them anymore.

He doesn't have to do anything he doesn't want to.

Holds the phone back to his ear. "I'm at the Kent farm, dad. You remember where that is?"

A moment of silence, and then, quietly, "Yes."

~*~*~*~*~*~

The meeting with Lionel Luthor had gone better than expected.

Martha got Jonathan to work on the other end of the farm with her, conveniently leaving the house itself empty for the father/son reunion. Clark said he'd work outside as well.

He was weeding the little garden of herbs, right outside the living room window.

Lionel did his usual majestic entrance routine, but it was wasted on the uninterested audience; Lex was on the couch in front of the TV, petting the old cat Martha had adopted once Clark had moved out. Both reacted the same to the mental stimulation of another person in the house; they yawned.

Lionel sat down by his son and watched cartoons for a while.

"Why here?"

Lex was ready with an answer. "It's a quiet, pastoral place."

"Which Superman just picked out for you?"

They rehearsed his answers so that Clark would be safe. "I told him I enjoyed it here when I was younger. He thought it would be a safe place. The press hasn't figured out I'm here yet." A subtle threat in his voice, not saying that if the press finds out now, he'll know who told them.

They watch in silence for a while. It isn't a comfortable, friendly silence.

"How are you feeling, son?" Lionel isn't really looking at Lex.

"Fine."

Lionel's hand tightens on his knee.

"I'm not a pulp on the sidewalk by the LexCorp Tower, so all is well."

Lionel is looking at him now, into his eyes, and Lex sees, for the first time in his life, a troubled old man who can't hide the pain inside.

And he's thinking, maybe this near-death experience has given him a secret way to see behind people's masks.

"I'll be fine, dad." Lex's voice is softer now. He's not attacking and he's not defensive; he's just talking to his father. That's a new experience. Lex doesn't remember ever talking to Lionel Luthor like this. With sympathy.

Lionel feels it too. He's quiet.

And then he says, "I'm glad, Lex."

~*~*~*~*~*~

When Lionel walks out to his car, Lex walks with him.

He hasn’t been outside since he arrived here, sleeping in Clark's arms, and the sunshine is pleasantly warm on his skin. The farmyard hasn't changed much.

Clark is leaning on the fence, watching Lionel's every move, as if he's just waiting for the older man to jump at Lex and ruthlessly upset him. Lex has to smile at that.

He doesn't know if it's to show Clark everything is okay, or because of his newly-gained perspective, or because Lionel opened up and showed him some genuine affection, but he moves in and hugs his father.

Lionel is surprised for a moment, but then returns the hug. It's awkward and tense, but it's real.

Lionel is already opening the door to his car when he recalls something.

"I'll be at the manor for at least a week. If you need anything..."

He doesn't say 'call me' and he doesn't say 'I want to know how you're doing'.

Lex nods.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Clark was baking a chocolate cake.

Knowing it was Superman didn't make it any less funny.

He was fretting over his mother's recipe, labouring over flour and eggs and cocoa and melting things while stirring other things and even his super-speed couldn't help him. Lex smiled fondly. Clark called it The Evil Smirk of Death, and demanded it would stop.

After all, he was going through all this trouble just to feed Lex.

Lex's conversation with his father had left him exhausted, and Martha, upon seeing his face, insisted on comfort-food. Clark had the misfortune to walk into the kitchen at that exact moment.

Lex protested, said there was no need, but then Clark showed him a picture of the cake in a recipe book.

Lex licked his lips. And Clark said he could make the cake and it wouldn't be a problem.

It was.

"Mom!"

Clark was a thirty year old man, who's lived on his own for several years now. Sure, he could prepare food. Simple things. Two kinds of pasta sauce, one kind of stir-fry chicken and noodles. Being a reporter, he could order a pizza pretty well. It's not like he was *helpless*.

"Mom!"

But a chocolate cake, with fudge and mousse and icing and all sorts of *things*, and *baking*...

Sounds behind him, like a cat coughing out a hair ball. He turned to see Lex bravely suppressing a villainy, evil laugh.

"I can see through things."

The tone was warning. Lex didn't understand. He leaned back in his chair, balancing hazardously on two legs, still chuckling.

"I can see your underwear."

Different coughs this time, and the chair squeaked when Lex fell forward, sputtering.

Clark knew he was being immature, and he knew he should be nicer to Lex, but really, even with super strength and endurance, there's only so much one could stand.

~*~*~*~*~*~

The finished cake, in all its chocolate glory, sat on a tray in the middle of the table.

Next to it was a large, clean, gleaming knife, waiting for someone to pick it up and slice the cake.

Both called to Lex, beckoning him to come and have at them.

He hadn't even noticed when Clark returned to the room. He just held the sharp, shiny metal to his wrist, watching in awe how it accentuated the paleness of his skin, the lovely web of blue and purple veins under it. He wanted to lick it.

And then, in a flash, it wasn't there. He lifted his eyes in time to see Clark holding the knife, and then crushing the steel to dust.

"You didn't have to do that." Lex wondered if Martha will let him buy her a new set of knives.

Superman, shaking with barely contained... was it anger? Lex couldn't tell. He looked a bit like Superman now, even without the suit. You could feel the emotion, stronger than any human emotion, radiating from him.

"Don't.... do that." Clark wouldn't yell, but he bit his lip so hard it bled. Lex remembered swinging an iron bar at that face, and not even a hair moved out of place.

He reached and touched Clark's blood, looking at it, shiny and red on his fingers. Just like a human's.

"I need to do something." He said flatly. "To feel alive."

Could this creature even understand this? The need to *feel*. How a man's heart can still be beating, a man can still be smiling, but he's not really alive. How this feeling can just swoop over you unexpectedly, dragging you down into the black, murky depths where you can't see anything and you feel like you'll never come out. Where the beauty of pain and damage and destruction is the only thing keeping you from just slowly rotting away.

"I need to be alone for a while."

Clark made a motion as if to stop him, but halted.

Lex got up from the table, his movements abrupt and jerky. He needed his space. He'd been around Superman for weeks now, and it wasn't so bad, but now he felt suffocated, caged.

He slammed the door behind him.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Lex knew rationally that he could never escape. He ran anyway.

Away from the house, away from the cake and the caring and the loving Kent family. Just... away. Towards the horizon, stretched for miles and miles of fields.

~*~*~*~*~*~

When he stopped, about two hours later, panting for breath, he didn't know where he was. Green, unharvested fields as far as the eye can see. The sun was about to set and the sky was a beautiful shade of pink and orange, turning dark blue towards what Lex assumed was East.

He sat down on the ground between the tall plants. Closed his eyes and just listened to the quiet around him.

~*~*~*~*~*~

"Lex?"

Clark, standing above him, looking worried. Lex sat up, groaning at the pain in his back.

Clark grinned. "Sleeping on the earth. Sounds romantic, but really, like most romantic things, it's just uncomfortable, and leaves a mess on your clothes."

Was Clark just making a lewd joke? Lex blinked, and then looked at himself, dirt and leaves and sweat all over clothes that were too big for him, Clark's clothes.

Clark gave him a hand, and Lex used it to pull himself to his feet. And groaned again as long-unused muscles protested.

"You came looking for me."

"If you'd be late for dinner, mom would have my neck."

They stood facing each other for a few moments.

"Can I carry you home?" Clark asked, almost shyly.

Lex had to admit that the thought of walking back was really... not.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Clark covered Lex in the coat he'd brought with him, held him in his arms as if he was weightless, and flew low, right over the corn, and rather slowly compared to the speed he was surely capable of.

Lex had a weird feeling, like a flashback, and he felt like a child again, but wasn't sure why. Maybe it was the smell of the corn.

Clark landed and walked the last few yards to the house.

When he set foot on the front porch, Jonathan Kent opened the door.

Lex was still cuddled in Clark's arms. He tried to disentangle himself, but Clark just carried him over the threshold and deposited him near the kitchen table. Jonathan looked on but said nothing.

"Look what I brought."

Clark smiled, and Lex felt very safe.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Lex was amazed that his company had survived this long.

True, many share-holders decided to leave. Business had gone down, and the Luthor name was severely damaged, but it was nothing unsalvageable.

He'd been talking on the phone all day, sitting in his impromptu office in Clark's old room, arranging things and re-establishing his status as the president of LexCorp, for all intents and purposes.

It's been a busy day.

~*~*~*~*~*~

"Lex."

"Just a second, Clark." Lex was signing a paper, talking on the phone and furiously clicking at his laptop.

"Lex, it's seven. End of your work day."

"Transfer the account, and have them call me. Tonight." Lex finished his conversation. "I'm sorry, Clark, I didn't hear you."

"I said it's the end of your day; you need to rest."

Lex was surprised. He wasn't even tired.

"It's only seven, Clark."

"You didn't break for lunch."

"I ate."

"A sandwich... Lex, you're overworking yourself."

"I'm fine."

Clark sighed and shook his head.

"You're not working anymore today. And come downstairs, I made you dinner."

A cold, hard glare, the old Luthor temper behind it. "I said I'm fine, Clark."

And Clark couldn't help but ask.

"Why do you hate Superman so much?"

Lex had to stop at that. Think.

"I could be the greatest man on earth. And..."

He couldn't finish the line. Superman would always be bigger, stronger, better.

"Perfectionist."

Lex smiled a pale, bitter smile.

"I think you are."

"A perfectionist?"

"The greatest."

Clark turned on his heel and left the room.

After a few long moments of thought, Lex followed him downstairs.

~*~*~*~*~*~

"Thanks for dinner."

Lex had to admit he was very hungry. At least, he had to admit it to himself.

"You're welcome. Are you tired? You wanna turn in now?"

Lex shot him an incredulous look. "It's eight o'clock, Clark. You do know I'm not five, don't you?"

Clark smiled, sheepish.

"We could go out for a walk," he offered.

~*~*~*~*~*~

The sun hadn't set yet; the sky was only starting to darken into shades of violet.

Lex chuckled. "And you wanted me to go to sleep."

Clark smiled, content. They walked together quietly for a while, out the front yard and towards the driveway.

"You really shouldn't work that hard."

Lex's face clouded.

"It's not healthy for you."

Lex pulled his hand out of Clark's grip. He hadn't noticed he was holding the other man's hand.

It just seemed natural.

"I can do my work, Clark. I have a company to run."

"Lex..." Clark stopped and turned Lex so that they were facing each other. "You've worked too hard. You need to rest."

Lex shook Clark's hand off his arm.

"I had my rest. Weeks of it."

"You know that's not enough."

Lex refused to admit that.

"And you know you'll start working at the same pace you did before, and it won't be a year before you run out of steam again."

Lex started walking down the road, faster and faster.

"Stop running, Lex. It won't help."

Lex knew Clark wasn't talking about their relative speed and this countryside road.

~*~*~*~*~*~

They sat by the side of the road, about half a mile from the Kent house.

Jonathan's truck passed them, and Clark waved at his father. Jonathan waved back from the window but didn't stop or even slow down.

"What do I do, Clark?"

Lex sat there, face in his hands.

"Relax. Stop working so hard."

"I can't." Lex shrugged. "It's what I do. I work."

Clark squeezed his arm.

"Besides, you're not one to talk."

Clark glanced at him speculatively.

"You think I didn't notice that you go out every night? Every single night, Clark. Saving the earth, and not even from me."

"It's different."

"Why?" Lex was truly puzzled. "This corporation is everything to me. You know that."

"More important than the whole planet?"

Clark just didn't get humans.

"The planet will take care of itself. A million environmentalists see to it every day." Lex sighed. "All I own is LexCorp."

Clark looked at him for the longest time.

Then he dove in and kissed Lex quickly.

On the lips.

It was all of a second, but Lex knew something had changed.

Then Clark rose and said, "It's time we got back home."

~*~*~*~*~*~

Lex couldn't sleep. He tossed and turned, tormented with visions of what he and Clark could be together.

They could take over the Earth. Ruling the world together, him the President, and Superman by his side.

Clark would never go for that.

Still, it was a nice fantasy.

He could see Clark standing with him, in the oval office, behind his desk. The flag waving over their heads. Clark would turn and kiss him, like he did today, but for a longer time. Deeper, tonguing and licking. Clark's hands would hold him, slide down his back... the room would be empty, the doors locked.

Superman would pick him up and lay him on the desk, and he would spread his legs wide open, allow Clark to lie on top of him. Superman would hold his hands above his head...

Lex slid a hand down his pyjama pants.

He would kiss beautiful Clark, and Superman would tear his clothes off with one hand, while holding both of Lex's arms immobile with the other. The red cape would cover them, but Superman wouldn't be wearing anything else, just the cape and his red boots. He could...

Lex moaned, his hand speeding its pace. His other hand snaked down between his legs, lower and further, behind his balls.

The White House, the West Wing, the Oval Office. Superman would fuck him, right there, at the centre of authority, the place where everything important was decided by the most powerful people. Right there, on the desk where world-altering treaties were signed. He'd be forceful, the table would rock, the hard thrusts and slight pain would be all Lex needed....

One dry finger inside himself, burying his face in the pillow to avoid screaming, Lex came all over his hand and Clark's old bed.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Clark couldn't sleep. He was alone in the spare bed in the barn; his parents turned the upper level into a makeshift guest room.

He kissed Lex.

He kissed Lex and Lex didn't recoil or refuse.

Although Lex was vulnerable. Clark had taken care of him for a month and maybe he was just reacting to that. Clark had seen how Luthors dealt with sex, and it wasn't at all about romance.

But he kissed Lex. And that *was* romantic, and it wasn't sex, although Clark hoped that would change soon. He didn't think he was taking advantage, although... he couldn't be sure.

Lex had really soft lips.

Really beautiful eyes when you looked deep into them.

Really beautiful smile when he was surprised.

He kissed Lex.

~*~*~*~*~*~

At breakfast, they could barely look at each other.

Good thing that they had something else to focus on; Lionel had dropped by unannounced.

"How are you doing, son?" He didn't sit with them at the table, and politely refused the food offered. He just stayed by the kitchen counter, radiating arrogant royal disdain.

Clark was sure that Lionel would have been much more unbearable if his parents were there; Jonathan Kent wouldn't be the least bit happy to see Luthor senior in his house.

Although he was very tolerant towards the junior one.

"I'm fine, dad." Lex had the patience and training to deal with his father. "Are you sure you don't want anything? The food is great."

Lionel shook his head.

"I wouldn't want to intrude on this pastoral picture of domesticity." He gestured at Clark and Lex, eating their farm-grown breakfast in a sunlit farmhouse kitchen. He sounded sarcastic but not hostile.

Clark and Lex glanced at each other, then down into their plates. Lionel took a long contemplative look at them both.

He slid gracefully into a third chair and examined both men speculatively.

"Are you two sleeping together?"

Clark's jaw nearly hit the table. Lex just stared at his father for a second and then said, "No. And don't touch him."

"I wasn't going to," Lionel retorted.

Clark couldn't believe his ears.

"Excuse me, do I get a say in it?"

Both Luthors turned their heads at him, as if they forgot he was even there.

"I apologise," Lionel said, resentfully. "I assumed..."

"And what if we were?" Clark interrupted him.

Now both Luthors were really focused on him, calculating and contemplating, and he was strongly reminded of Superman's rivalry with Lex.

Then Lex's expression softened. He smiled gently.

"Don't mind us, Clark." He shot a quick glare at Lionel. "My father sometimes... forgets his manners."

Lionel's smile was not at all pleasant. "At least I know you really are feeling better, Lex; So rude, at this time of morning?"

"I'm not the one who barged in here..."

Clark sighed. "Just stop it, the two of you."

Now he had their undivided attention again, and he found it unsettling. His primal instincts told him to up and run, but he didn't want to leave Lex alone.

He mumbled something and returned to his food. Let a Luthor deal with a Luthor, he thought. But he stayed in the room, in case Lex would need some moral support.

After a few moments, Lex continued his own breakfast.

"How is business?" Lionel, of course, already knew. But he asked anyway.

"Fine." And Lex knew that he knew.

"Are you sure?"

"I'll be fine." Lex's voice took a sharper edge.

"Do you...." Lionel wasn't sure how to broach the subject. "Need any help?"

Lex looked up at him, trying to gauge his motives.

"No, thanks."

"Right, I forgot. You have Superman." To Clark it sounded like nothing but resentment and contempt, but Lex could tell it was the honest hurt of a parent who can no longer help... or control his child.

Clark concentrated on his plate.

"I'm sorry he wouldn't let you talk to me. During the first few weeks."

Lex knew that if he didn't apologise, Clark might do something stupid, like apologise himself.

"I was trying to find out how things were," Lionel said. "Couldn't exactly trust the press, could I."

Lex shrugged.

"Was it true?" Lionel hated to admit the lack of information, but he needed to know.

"What?"

"What the papers, and half of your staff, told me."

"I don't know, what did they tell you?" Lex didn't trust anyone he's worked with.

"That you left a will. That you called Superman there... and that he stayed with you all this time, until your trip to Smallville." Then Lionel smirked. "Were you sleeping with Superman?"

Clark choked on his food. Both Luthors stared at him quietly as he coughed and sputtered.

Eventually, Lex said, "No."

"He did save you."

Lex looked up sharply. "I didn't ask him to."

Lionel tilted his head. "He just went and did it anyway."

Lex had wondered about that himself many times in the past few weeks. Now, he finally got it.

"It's what he does, dad." He said quietly. "It's who he is. I'm nothing special."

"That's not true."

Clark regretted blurting out the words while he was saying them.

"I mean..."

Backtracking, backtracking, beep-beep, two crazy Luthors scrutinise him and he mustn't reveal his identity to Lionel, and oh fuck.

"I mean, Lex has been Superman's enemy for a long time. I'm sure that's... special." There is no way I'm getting out of this one, Clark thought.

"Maybe that's it; maybe he likes to keep his friends close and his enemies... much closer." Lex to the rescue, but the double meaning was clear in his choice of words.

So clear Lionel picked up on it.

"Lex..." He didn't know how to say this, and in front of a stranger, but he had to ask. "Are you sure Superman didn't hurt you?"

A million questions not asked.

And Lex answered them all. "I'm sure, dad. He was very civil and very helpful. I was safe the whole time."

Lionel sighed in relief. For weeks, he didn't know what was happening to his son. It was a situation he was unused to and did not care for.

Clark smiled fondly. There was something about those moments when the Luthors were acting almost like a normal family that just warmed his heart.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Lionel had left, not before extracting a promise from Lex to come visit him the next day.

Now was the time to talk.

"So..."

They were facing each other on the couch. Jonathan and Martha have not yet returned from town.

"About last night..." And at the same time, "I was going to say..."

They fell silent again.

Then Clark said, "You *are* special, you idiot." He nearly pouted.

Lex had to smile.

"But you would've saved anyone else."

"Probably, yes." Clark had to admit. "But I wouldn't have stayed with them."

"Then why did you stay with me?"

Clark shrugged.

He then leaned forward and kissed Lex again.

This time it was longer; Clark took his time, licking Lex's lips and then the inside of his mouth. He concentrated on the taste, slightly bitter like coffee and slightly sweet like Lex. He concentrated on the feel of it, wet and hot and responding, pliant like Lex and demanding like Luthor.

Clark pulled back and away.

"Lex?"

"Yes?" Lex was a bit breathless, his eyes sparkling.

"Would you like to go out for coffee sometime?"

Lex stared at him blankly for a moment.

And then doubled over, laughing his ass off.

Between fits of giggles and panting, he managed to convey that yes, he would go out with Clark for coffee sometime.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Clark was on the far end of the farm, happily swinging the pitchfork, getting a day's work done to help his old parents. He was whistling to himself happily, enjoying the physical labour in the sun.

Lex was happy. He was happy. Funnily enough, they were both gay. They spent about two hours making out on the sofa. Clark was so exhilarated, he just couldn't put it into words.

All was going to work well from now on.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Lex was wandering around the house, bored.

He promised Clark he wouldn't 'play office' until later in the evening, and then only for a couple of hours.

He was so bored.

He didn't have anything to do with his life without his work; it just dawned on him.

With no LexCorp to run, no Superman to fight, and no Clark to make out with, Lex had nothing.

He collapsed to the floor, ending up prone between the living room and the kitchen.

He was no longer bored; he was now... depressed wasn't the right word. He was dead again. Like he was before.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Clark came inside early in the evening; his parents hadn't come home yet and he wanted some private time with Lex before they did, and before Lex would start working again.

He found Lex still lying there, waving his arms and legs as if to create a snow angel on the floorboards.

"Lex?"

Lex smiled dazedly at Clark.

"I want drugs, Clark."

"What?" Clark was at a loss.

"Drugs. Medication. Or not medication." Lex was still smiling. And he was still waving his arms and legs.

"Lex..." Clark sighed. "You were *fine*."

"Still am."

"Are not."

"Are too. Dee Two. Like the robot?"

"What are you *on*?"

"The floor?"

"Lex." Clark turned very, very serious. "I'm worried about you."

Lex closed his eyes.

"Just let me stay here, Clark. Just let me... sort it all out."

Clark crouched on the floor by Lex's head. "Sort what out?"

Lex made another feeble motion with his arms and legs.

"Life. The universe. Everything." He chuckled. Then he raised his eyes to meet Clark's.

"I don't want to give up, Clark. I don't want to. But it's so easy, it's calling me, it's right *there*. I just...." He tried to swallow around the lump in his throat but couldn't. His face was wet. He hadn't noticed he was crying until his tears slid down the sides of his face and into his ears.

He laughed quietly. "Clark?"

"Yes?" Clark seemed worried at the swift changes of mood.

"I have tears in my ears."

Clark cupped Lex's head in his hand, and pulled the other man up to sit and lean against him.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Martha and Jonathan came home to find their son on the couch, with Lex in his arms. They were watching Cartoons, a Sitcom, the news, MTV and hockey, all at the same time.

Lex had the remote.

Clark was continually petting his head. Caressing the delicate, smooth skin, whispering quiet endearments. One arm surrounding Lex's chest, holding him close.

Lex enjoyed that. No one has ever petted his head. People tend to pet their lover's hair, but he had none, and people felt too self-conscious to touch his bald scalp.

Clark was just touching his skin, and it felt wonderful.

"Uhm." Jonathan cleared his throat.

Lex jumped, but Clark just kept holding him and petting him.

"Hi, dad. Hi mom."

He wouldn't let go.

"Hi, Mr. and Mrs. Kent," Lex said, frozen in Clark's embrace.

Jonathan looked as if he's about to say something, but Martha rushed to the rescue.

"It's getting late; have you two had anything to eat?"

The men on the couch shook their heads.

"Why don't I start dinner then." She carried her shopping bags with her. "Jonathan, come and help me?" Her husband grunted his displeasure, but followed her wordlessly.

Clark never let go of Lex.

~*~*~*~*~*~

"The thing is, Clark," Lex wasn't sure he got his point across. "I don't know where I'm going with my life. I've never had to think about it too much; I've always just known."

Superman nodded, sitting on top of the old windmill in his spandex uniform, looking very much out of place. Lex was used to Superman in Metropolis, an urban creature flying between tall, grey buildings.

"But now..." Lex shrugged. "Maybe it's just a mid-life crisis."

Superman put an arm around his shoulders. Lex was still vaguely uncomfortable with it, but allowed it anyway, knowing it was Clark.

The kissing was nice, too. Also, the reclining upon the windmill and watching the stars above. Relaxing. Great weather, time and place for musing about life.

"What do you think?"

"I think you know what you want to do." The outfit was influencing Clark; he had much more insight when wearing it. "I think you won't let yourself do what you want to do."

Lex sighed. "I do want to be the president, Clark. I *know* I'll be much better than the current one."

Superman chuckled.

"I'm just... so tired of it all." Lex looked at his companion pleadingly, hoping he'd understand.

Superman held him tighter.

"Just take your time."

~*~*~*~*~*~

Lex worked out all the details.

"You could help me."

"I what?" Superman must've dozed off in the past half hour.

"To be elected president." Lex sat up, grinning widely. Superman thought of sharks. "They won't elect a suicidal president, under normal circumstances. But with Superman by my side?"

It was a long shot, and Clark would probably refuse. But oh, if he agreed....

"I need to think about it."

And Lex was alone on top of the windmill.

A moment later he felt arms around him and then he was down on the ground.

"Wait here for a while, okay? I'll be right back," Clark said.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Lex sat alone on the ground, playing with a blade of grass.

He wondered idly if there were any wild animals roaming the fields of Kansas.

Probably not.

He did hear some very loud crickets nearby.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Clark returned.

"I've been round the earth."

"And?"

The Man of Steel shuffled his foot in the dirt.

"You can do..." He smiled. "Great things."

"Is that a yes?"

Clark grinned deliriously. He picked Lex up and took him high in the air.

"Look at all of this." He waved an arm. "I'm giving you this."

~*~*~*~*~*~

The visit to the Luthor manor was fun.

"I'm running for president, dad."

Lionel nodded. He didn't seem surprised at all. This was his son's destiny, what he was groomed for since childhood.

"Superman will be campaigning with me."

"I see." So much can be said with a single raised eyebrow.

"We're not sleeping together!" Superman in all his tri-coloured spandex glory, sounding like an outraged sixteen year old.

"I see." Lionel repeated, leaning against his desk. "And what would Mr. Kent be doing for you exactly?"

Superman took a step back.

Lex advanced towards his father.

Lionel chuckled.

"Don't worry, son, your obvious secret is safe with me." He walked behind the desk. "So, Clark, Lex, is there anything I can do for you?"

Lex calculated his pros and cons quickly.

"Would you like to be a part of this campaign?"

Superman's eyes went wide. Even Lionel paused.

Eventually he said softly, "I'd be honoured."

~*~*~*~*~*~

"Hello. I'm Superman."

Clark paused.

"They know that, don't they?"

Lex smiled at him encouragingly from behind the cameras.

"Just read your text, you'll do great."

"Hello. I'm Superman, and I'm voting..."

He stopped again.

"Do they know that Superman is not a US citizen? Not even an Earth citizen?"

Lex sighed. "Do they care?"

"You certainly think highly of your constituency," Lionel muttered. Lex shot him a nasty look.

"Okay, let's do this in one." Clark took a deep breath.

"Hello. I'm Superman, and I'm voting for Lex Luthor. Will you?"

~*~*~*~*~*~

"Clark..."

It won't do for a presidential candidate to be caught in a filthy back alley being blown by a Daily Planet reporter, but Lex had a problem refusing Clark... anything he ever asked for.

"God, Clark..."

His fingers threaded in the thick dark hair. Innocent blue eyes looked up to meet his and a sweet pink mouth smiled around his dick.

"Fuck, Clark!" He came, driving his hips forward, knowing he can't harm his lover.

Clark rose on his feet and licked his lips.

"Maybe later. You've got a press conference to go to."

~*~*~*~*~*~

"Yes?" Lex motioned to a man in his mid-forties in a grey suit.

"Why did you decide to run for president now?"

Lex really wished they'd have more original questions.

"The time felt right; I'm just the right age, and the experiences I've had recently gave me a new, fresh perspective. Yes?" He motioned to a woman with thick-framed glasses standing near a camera.

"Superman was your great enemy; what happened to change that?"

A well practised answer, there. "We've settled our differences and realised we'd be much better for America and for the world if we combined our strengths instead of using them to fight each other." Plus, he's a great fuck. But Lex didn't think the press was quite ready for that revelation yet.

"What about your suicide attempt, several months ago?"

Lex hated it when reporters butted in.

"What about it?"

The reporter stuttered and fell silent under the cold blue Luthor gaze.

A new voice, from another part of the hall. "Clark Kent, for the Daily Planet. Is it true that the so-called suicide attempt was a stunt designed to remove you from the business world so you can concentrate on your campaign and your work with Superman?"

Lex sighed in relief.

"Yes, it is, and I apologise to the people; I just needed some time away to concentrate on what matters."

"So you knew Superman would save you?"

Lex glared at the reporter. Didn't they teach them how to raise their hands and wait their turn somewhere in the first grade?

"I had my reasons to do what I did, and I can guarantee that this incident won't affect my performance as a president."

He looked to where Clark stood before; the reporter was gone.

"Superman will join us in the next few minutes."

A raised hand. See, that's how it's done, Lex thought. "Yes?"

"What is the nature of your relationship with Superman?"

Lex looked directly at the journalist. "We've been working together on this campaign for weeks; we've become very close and found many shared goals and interests."

"Are the rumours true?" She didn't let go.

"Which rumours are those?" Lex inquired politely.

The journalist coughed.

"My private life is irrelevant to the presidency, as is Superman's."

He could hear his father mumbling over the ear-piece, "It will be relevant when he breaks the bed in the Lincoln bedroom", and smirked.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Superman joined Lex on the podium.

"Mr. Superman! Mr. Superman!" A crowd of voices and raised hands. Superman shot a distressed look at Lex.

"Yes, you in the back, with the black scarf." Lex motioned.

"Yes, Mr. Superman..."

Clark interrupted the man. "Just Superman is fine."

The reporter stopped for a moment. Then he continued. "Superman. Lex Luthor was your arch-nemesis for years. What's changed?"

Superman smiled nervously. He wasn't used to that sort of event. Lex almost felt sorry for him.

"We, eh... we got to talk. And we found out we don't really hate each other." He barely avoided sending a love-struck look at Lex. Instead, he stared at the microphone.

"Superman!" Lex pointed at another journalist.

"Superman, what's behind Mr. Luthor's supposed suicide attempt?"

Superman glanced sideways at Lex, but no help came from there.

"I think Mr. Luthor said everything there is to be said about that subject." He tried to duck the question. No such luck.

"But what was your part in it? Why did you step in?"

Superman shrugged. He looked so much like Clark now, and Lex was shocked to realise no one else could see it.

"What was I supposed to do? Let him go splat on the sidewalk?"

Lex shot him a distasteful look. Superman shrugged again, miserably.

Some kind soul in the crowd must've took pity on him.

"Mr. Luthor mentioned earlier that you had shared goals and interests; can you elaborate on those?"

For once, Lex wasn't upset with her for talking out of turn.

"Yes, yes I can!" Clark was relieved. "We want to restore peace around the world and we want to help the people of America and we want to prevent war as much as humanly, or not so humanly, possible." He stopped to breathe. "We..." He stopped again to look back at Lex. "What?"

"Nothing." Now it was Lex who had to fight the urge to touch his lover. He turned to the reporters. "Yes, you." He motioned.

"Superman, what would you call your relationship with Mr. Luthor?"

"Uh, good?"

Lex squinted.

"We're working together, and, eh. We're friends." Superman smiled shyly. He didn't have an ear-piece like Lex, so he missed Lionel's commentary; "Is this boy fifteen, Lex? You don't want the corruption of a minor on your hands."

Lex didn't bother to explain his smirk to Clark.

~*~*~*~*~*~

"Well, that was irritating." Lionel drank deeply from his bottle of water.

Clark fiddled with the edge of his cape.

"Can I change now?"

"Better not," Lex said tiredly. "Not until we're back at the hotel."

Clark sat by his side and hugged him.

"You're gonna be president of the USA," he whispered.

"Do you really think so?" Lex's voice was hopeful.

"I know so."

They kissed.

"Will you two get a room?" Lionel commented. "There's one about two seconds in Superman-speed from here."

They broke apart and looked at him guiltily.

"I'll take the limo; you take Lex."

Clark smiled with gratitude and flew right out the window with the best-polled presidency candidate in his arms.

Lionel sighed and locked the door behind him as he left.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Lex leaned over, throwing an arm across Clark's chest.

"What are you thinking about?"

Sometimes Clark sounded like some bubble gum teen show on TV.

"I'm thinking about one of my various fantasies..." Lex kissed a nipple, "Involving you."

Clark turned to his side to face him. "Yeah? Tell me."

~*~*~*~*~*~

"...And I'm proud to be the first openly gay President of the USA."

Whispers in the crowd, reporters mumbling urgently to one another.

That was one hell of an inaugural speech. That's how big news are made. Lex could feel Lionel chuckling backstage. He hoped the Kents weren't watching TV tonight, although he knew that was impossible.

Lex smiled and turned to kiss his lover. He had plans for their first night in the White House...

~*~*~*~*~*~

The End... Is only the beginning.
 


Email