From Instinct Magazine

Robert Gant - i Spy

Written by Jonathan Riggs

He stared out playing the handsome boyfriend of many a prime-time straight gal before segueing into fame on the controversial Queer As Folk. Today, with his new gay action movie, the out and proud ROBERT GANT is a secret agent man for our times

Some lucky bastard is getting to lick Robert Gant’s face, and it ain’t me.

"My puppy, Bodhi, is feeling pretty inquisitive at the moment," he laughs. "He's so sweet."

I concede defeat—it's impossible to compete with a 10-month-old chocolate Lab who wants his tummy rubbed—but the next round is mine, mostly because I have the power of speech—and a killer opening question.

"How's it going, Robert?"

"I'm really good, man, really good," Robert says. "I'm a little tired today. I had a late night filming last night."

In the late ’90s, there was a lot of talk about Rupert Everett playing a gay James Bond, which never happened. Let’s talk gay spies, like Gant's character, Jacob Keane, in here! Networksl new movie Kiss Me Deadly.

"I'm just really excited that the whole gay spy thing is happening! The concept conjures chuckles. You can certainly go that way, but I love that we made the choice not to. Our movie shows that the gay guy can kick ass, that the gay guy can be the hero."

"Watching it reminded me of when I was in elementary school and loved the Police Academy movies," I say, a professional to the core. "It was fun to pretend to be an action hero, running around with a squirt gun, feeling like a badass. I wish that there had been a gay character like yours."

"It's fantasy fulfillment for a lot of people, like what you said," he says graciously. "We have role models in real life, but then we have role models in a sense through characters. We go, 'Oh, I can actually see myself as a superhero,' when before, it's just our imagination."

Love it or hate it, Queer As Folk really was a cultural turning pint, wasn't it?

"Queer As Folk broke so much ground. Each of the things along the way—Ellen, the kiss on Roseanne—has moved the ball forward, and Queer As Folk certainly did, so much so that it still resonates deeply in people's consciousness," he says, amazed. "It's still expanding! I get e-mails all the time from people—straight mothers, everyone—around the world who are just discovering the show."

"The world’s become a very different place since then," I offer.

"I think the culture has changed because of this forward momentum. We have seen politicians embrace gay people far more than they ever have, we see the prospects of gay marriage really, really contemplated—we're on the verge of it and it's already happening in certain ways. It's an idea that continues to expand and eventually will just be our full-on reality," he says, then adds proudly, "Queer As Folk showed the first legal gay marriage on television when Ben and Michael married in the fourth season."

"I didn’t really like Queer As Folk," I say. "I thought it was too stereotypical."

"Hey, every artistic endeavor has its fans and its critics. It helps, because as soon as we get something, we want something more," he laughs. "What was great for me in playing Ben was we got to see a very masculine take on gay men, plus a cross-section of different kinds of gay men through the other characters, too."

Robert’s on a roll, and his voice is full of passion as he speaks.

"That’s just how progress happens," he says. "Along the way we take steps backwards or face unfair amendments, but these things create awareness and rally people together to get involved."

In what ways have you changed during your jouney?

"I didn't even begin to envision this as my reality, you know? To be honest, my goal was always to do a show like Melrose Place. Queer As Folk was that kind of vibe in a way, except it had a world-changing capability," he says. "But I never contemplated being openly gay, at least professionally. Now, I couldn’t imagine it any other way. There were bumps along the road and I’m grateful for those. I think they helped me to hone my process and my journey."

Robert just did a film in Hawaii for Lifetime, Special Delivery, with House's Lisa Edelstein that will air in December.

"This marks the first time since I came out professionally that I’ve gotten to play the straight romantic guy again," he says. "It was one of those opportunities just to be an actor and to have fun. It's not a huge film, but it’s clearly a turning point for me, showing me how things keep progressing."

"It's got to be satisfying to be at a point where you’re recognized for your talent and not pigeonholed by your sexuality," I say.

"Exactly," he says. "Which is one of the last frontiers that we're now passing in Hollywood: the reality of the openly gay leading man."

Like may of your Hollywood peers, you're very active in charity work. Your chosen cause is SAGE (Senior Action in a Gay Environment) and GLEH (Gay and Lesbian Elder Housing), where you're on the board. What got you interested?

"I do my best to make choices in my life to move in the direction of my fear, rather than away from it. The idea of growing older scares many of us. From an early age, that fear—growing old and alone as a gay person—is programmed into us."

What he says strikes a chord. That was my parents' greatest fear for me when I came out to them.

"The truth is, the older folks among us are us, just at a different place in the road," he says. "Bridging this gap is one more way we're creating community. We need to make sure that we include all the members, though—it's very easy to become invisible."

I tell him about the stories we heard from Jim Young, a gay man in his 70s we profiled in June 2006—how funny and wise and warm he was.

"There's so much richness available from people who have walked before us to be able to share what it's been like and help us to grow from their experience. It's also a call for older gay people who came of age at a different time to grow and to see what life today can be like," he says. "There are so many ways we can help each other. It's a very cool process and I look forward to more of my peers and younger folk helping to create this community. Listen, we all hope to end up old gay people one day. So why not create a cool, exciting, inviting world around that experience so we can enjoy it when we get there ourselves?"

It sounds like you're in a great place, Robert: centered, working, giving back. "I am so grateful for where I am. There are always more things we want to experience, but I definitely feel that I'm right on schedule. Like anyone else, I have tons of challenges, but what’s cool about where I am now is more and more I have the ability to move through the challenges with grace and peace and acceptance."

"How do you get there?" I ask.

"It's only come from doing a lot of work on myself to heal, you know? Understanding the things that have been driving me to make unhealthy choices and learning how to make better ones moving forward," he says. "It's definitely the thing I wish for so many of my brothers and sisters."

What I wish most for myself is having the experience of working with Shannen Doherty, which you did on this movie. How was that?

"Shannen Doherty was a hoot. I think she does a nice job in the film. She's so connected with her persona in a way, that it's nice to see her do her thing as an actress."

"Plus," I throw in there, still the consummate pro, "I loved seeing her beat that guy up. There's something thrilling about Shannen Doherty throwing down some kung fu…unless you’re Alyssa Milano, I guess."

"Totally," Robert laughs warmly. "Shannen's the quintessential diva, you know? She's terrific. Where she's gotten to in her life is certainly a far cry from the things you hear, but the diva's still there—in the best sense of the word!"

"I hope we'll get to see you guys teaming up again in the next Jacob Keane film," I add.

"As much as I love this film," he says, "I’m really excited about the next one."

"Me too," I say, determined to end the interview on a classy note by not bringing up Robert's awesome underwear scenes in the movie. "Except, as much as I loved your partner in his red Speedo, I was hoping you'd totally make out with that other agent—the one who was on the beach in his three-piece suit."

"Well, I think that's a possibility," he giggles. "I look forward to it myself!"

Besides all the work stuff (and kissy kissy, Robert, what's something you're looking forward to?

"The right husband making his way to me. I look forward to having a family," he says. "I'm definitely one of those guys who wants to have a family, which means a healthy relationship with a partner, now that I’ve got a good relationship with myself." He strokes Bodhi, who gives me a smug look from his master's lap. "Life is good," Robert says.

I decide to take a page from Robert's spy book and go undercover. Buy a Bodhi costume, I think.

Back