Aventura Magazine

Queer As Folk's Robert Gant

By Laurie E. Schoenberg

As Far as back as he can remember, Gant was singing, dancing, and acting in some respect in his hometown of Tampa, Florida. Upon graduating from the University of Pennsylvania, he headed to Georgetown University Law School, which eventually led him to Los Angeles, when he accepted a position with one of the world's largest law firms. Shortly after beginning work there, a twist of fate occurred when the office closed its doors. 'I had a choice to make,' says Gant. 'Either I jump into another law firm or I go after my lifelong dream of becoming an actor.' He has been pursuing his dream with much success ever since.

Gant earned a recurring role on the WB's Popular as the high school's eccentric principle and many notable guest spots on NBC"s Friends, where he played one of two gorgeous men that Lisa Kudrow's character dated; Caroline in the City; Veronica's Closet; Becker; Melrose Place; Ellen; and Providence. Gant has also appeared in the independent films The Contract, Fits and Starts, and Marie and Bruce, starring Julianne Moore and Matthew Broderick.

After leaving the scenes of Popular, Gant came across a lead role on Queer As Folk. "I read the role description, and it was just one of those moments when I knew it was a character I was meant to play," says Gant. And the producers agreed. Gant Currently graces the television screen every Sunday night at 10:00 p.m. as Ben Bruckner. Playing a writer and college professor, Bruckner pursues the American dream of love and happiness as a dedicated partner and loving father.

If you had any doubt that Gant's brain matches his brawn, put it aside, because he recently teamed with actor Chad Allen and producer Christopher Racster to form the production company Mythgarden. "With my legal background, I have a strong business sense, and that serves that hunger for business inside me." Mythgarden currently has a few projects in the works, including Save Me, which stars Gant, Allen and Judith Light. Gant plays an undercover journalist who falls in love with Allen's character, a patient at a gay and lesbian rehab center.

Queer as Folk is now in it's fourth season and will continue to push the envelope with recent controversial issues including gay and lesbian marriage, says Gant. "You will be blown away by a series of powerful turns and twists."

Back