Robert Gant: Demonstrating the ability to govern

By Robert Gant 08.21.2008 12:22am EDT

From 365gay news

In truth, I’d love to see openly LGBTQ individuals elected or appointed to the number of governmental leadership positions that would equal our proportional representation within the United States.

But selecting just one of those, I’d most like to see an openly LGBTQ person in a state gubernatorial slot.

There have been 29 female governors, eight of whom are serving presently, and four African-American governors, two of whom are serving now. Thus, this appears to be one of the next emerging political hurdles for our collective community.

It would demonstrate the will of a cross-section of an electorate, as opposed to an appointee, who might feel forced upon the people, at least in the eyes of some.

It would also offer the clearest demonstration, other than that which is required by the President, of such a person’s ability to manage what I presume would be the broadest range of job requirements and interests.

Such a showing would make apparent to potential nay-sayers in the mass population our capability to accomplish such a task, however painfully obvious that fact is to us.

Robert Gant is an actor and gay rights activist

Back

Robert Gant is an actor and gay rights activist