Also Ran - notes
written for Peak in Darien for Yuletide 2005


This was written for Peak In Darien for While We Tell of Yuletide Treasure's 2005 rare fandom all-request challenge. I started out trying to write her some Hamlet actually, but it became clearer and clearer that it wasn't coming together, so with only about ten days to go I switched horses and started in with the Chariots of Fire. Thank god there were two fandoms I felt able to write among Darien's requests!

I'm so glad there are people who love this movie at least nearly as much as I do, is all. :-) Note, though, that I was four thousand miles from my DVD of it when I wrote this fic, so if movie-dialogue isn't quite right (does Sybil say "I'm losing him" or "I've lost him"?), the error is entirely mine. (I did have an army of betas -- at least cmshaw, Ellen Fremedon, tangleofthorns, corvidae9, and Beth H -- of whom only cmshaw has, I believe, seen the canon. [g] That's what happens when you enlist people to help you with your Shakespeare knockoff and then decide to write about Olympic runners in the 20's instead.)

What turned out to be the hardest was actually not the Lindsay voice (I just thought to myself, Bertie Wooster, only smarter) -- it was the Cambridge-ness of the whole thing. It's hard for an Oxonian to make herself talk like a Tab. Hee!

Also Ran