Comments on this story can be sent to regmoore@earthlink.net

CHAPTER 13

EPILOGUE

June 12, 1980

"Hutch, will you come on."

The blond grumbled as he was pulled by the arm through rows of cars at Hollywood Park. It was a scorching hot day, and he didn't appreciate being dragged out into the heat. "What's the rush?"

"We don't want to miss the fourth," Starsky reminded for the twentieth time, or so it seemed. But he had refused to say why it was so important.

Hutch suddenly stopped in his tracks. He held up a finger. "Hear that?"

Starsky listened to the garbled voice that came from the huge grandstand. "What's that?"

"It's the call of the third race. We've got plenty of time."

Starsky bounced forward. "But we got to get there in time to see the horses in the paddock."

Hutch muttered something about how he didn't understand why, but he obediently followed his rushing partner.

Once inside, Starsky took time to purchase a program.

"Don't you want a Form?" Hutch asked.

"No," Starsky said, leading the way into the grandstand. "All the horses in the fourth don't have any past performances. They're all first-time starters."

Hutch froze. "You mean they're maidens?"

"Yeah. Two-year-olds."

Hutch shook his head in disgust. "Ah, Starsk, maiden races are lousy races to bet, because you don't have any previous races to go on."

"Who says we're betting?"

"Then why are we even here?

Starsky pulled at his sleeve. "Will you just come on?"

The blond sighed dramatically. He followed his partner through the grandstand until they reached the other side, emerging into the sunshine, the race track stretched out before them.

"Over here," Starsky directed, leading the way to the paddock.

Most of the horses had been saddled and were being led around the walking ring by their grooms.

Starsky pointed with his program, which was turned to the fourth race. "See, Hutch? Number eight. See?"

Hutch looked at the horses. And saw number eight. "I see him. So?"

Starsky frantically tapped the program and shoved it before his partner's nose. "Look what it says. Number eight."

Hutch read:

Life Goes On

Dark Bay Colt, 2

Best Partner - Forever Queen, by Princequillo

"Life Goes On," Hutch acknowledged. "So?"

Starsky rolled his eyes. "Look at his pedigree."

Hutch did. "Oh." He smiled. "He's by Best Partner." He was still puzzled, for it was his understanding that Best Partner had been at stud long enough to have hundreds of offspring running around.

"Not just by Best Partner," Starsky huffed. "Look at the dam." This time, he didn't wait for another inane comment. "Look familiar?"

Hutch scratched his head. "Sounds familiar," he acknowledged, enjoying his partner's exasperation.

Starsky couldn't hold back any longer. "Hutch, she's the mother of Partner for Life. That means Life Goes On is a full brother to Partner for Life. And this is his debut. We're here to see him off."

Oh. Really, Starsky could have told him. But then, Hutch realized, it wouldn't have been a surprise. And Starsky liked to surprise him.

 

"See him, Hutch?" Starsky was pointing and babbling with such intensity that others in the crowd were looking at him more than the horses. "Isn't he grand lookin'? Isn't he the most beautiful horse in the whole, wide world?"

He was a sleek dark bay, like his brother had been. Very well balanced.

"Look how cool he is," Starsky chattered on, as the horses continued to be led around. "The other horses are all actin' up, but he's just so cool."

It was true, Hutch had to admit. The other young two-year-olds were prancing nervously about, sweating heavily from the heat and tension, but the apple of Starsky's eye remained well-behaved and sported only a thin sheen of lather.

The paddock judge called "Riders up!", and the jockeys were boosted onto the young backs. The detectives watched silently as the line of ten horses began to file out onto the racetrack.

"Gonna bet him?" Hutch asked.

Starsky shrugged, more subdued now. "There's not really much point. He's four to one. It's hardly gonna be like last time. I just wanna see him win." Suddenly, Starsky tapped the program again. "It says he's a colt. Which means he's not castrated, right?"

Hutch nodded. "Right."

"So, maybe he'll get retired to stud when he's done racing and have lots of babies and carry on the line."

"Maybe."

Other fans began to gather inside the grandstand to make their wagers. Hutch looked skyward, squinting at the bright sun, and realized that this wasn't such a bad idea for an afternoon off. He still didn't know how Starsky had weaseled it out of Dobey, but was glad his partner had.

Dobey himself seemed a bit more protective of them both lately, after they had invited him to Starsky's apartment and made their revelation. The captain expressed concern that it was a passing fling, something that would burn out when their sexual curiosity had run its course. Otherwise, he had kept his opinions to himself.

Huggy had treated it with no more import than if they announced they were each buying new cars. Or a new house.

Hutch ground the toe of his boot against the pavement. They had watched their spending, and in another couple of months they could start seriously looking at houses.

Starsky was watching the horses warm up. Suddenly, he patted Hutch's arm with the rolled up program. "Hutch, I think I am gonna make a bet. Just for old time's sake, or to have as a souvenir in case he goes on to win the Kentucky Derby or gets famous or something."

The blond shrugged. "Just don't spend the grocery money."

"'Kay. Wait right here."

Hutch had no intention of going anywhere. The breeze kicked up and he went only as far as the nearest refreshment stand and bought a beer.

When Starsky returned, ticket clutched in hand, he asked, "Do you think he's gonna win, Hutch?"

"I don't know," the blond replied honestly. He watched the horses load into the starting gate at the far side of the track, for the race was a mere five furlong sprint. He looked his partner in the eye. "But even if he doesn't...," he shrugged, "life goes on, right?"

Starsky gazed back at him. Then he smiled. "Yeah. Life goes on."

The gates opened, and the field of ten started on their way.

THE END