Nancy is currently off the list, but this is her contribution to the FAQ: From: amoreena (Nancy) Venice Place) is called "The Nicest 'Hood on the Net" because we believe it is! We all share this virtual apartment building, along with Hutch and his constant house guest, Starsky. Although we are a very diversified group, with various talents, interests, and opinions, we share a love of S and H, and this little safe nook on the net. Flamingo, our list Mom, draws us all under her wing, welcoming and encouraging new folks and keeping the long-time tenants content. Like any overcrowded apartment building there is either chaos or cooperation. We've all chosen the to strive for the latter. What drew most of us to the series (aside from the slash possibilities) is the love that Starsky and Hutch share. Two very unique people, who have bonded so well. And when you step into Venice Place, you can feel those vibes. Sure there is some good- natured ribbing here and there, but what we all want is a place to be ourselves. So relax, kick off your Adidas', and grab a beer or whatever else you may find in the 'fridge (as long as it isn't a snake or a rat! ). You are among friends here and that is what makes Venice Place "the nicest 'hood on the net"! From Flamingo: VenicePlace has been remarkably free from the vitriolic flame- wars and back-biting regularly engaged in on other lists. We encourage an atmosphere of open friendliness and civility. Disagreements in discussions is not flaming, and we often have vigorous disagreements as we discuss many aspects of fandom and fan writing. But simple civility, consideration, and politeness goes a long way to keep disagreements an important part of an interesting discussion without it devolving into a shouting match. Our "founders," Starsky & Hutch disagreed with each other constantly, but their genuine love and caring always kept their friendship secure. Subject: [VP] an annoying me-too post (was VP outlived it's usefulness?) Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 From: dbost1 Cheyenne, I read your post and just *had* to delurk with a resounding me too, here. So much of what you said mirrors my own feelings that I just had to stand up with you, even if spotlights are kryptonite to my species. Couldn't let a kindred spirit that the heat all by herself... > I find Venice Place a wonderful home away from home. Generally, I belong to > several fanlists, some of which I am more passionate about than others. > Pros, Starsky & Hutch, The Sentinel, Miami Vice and Man from UNCLE are just a > few fandoms that I crave.> > And unlike many butterflies, I never *leave* my favorites behind. Someone > once told me the more we love, the more we have to give . VP is like a home away from home for me as well. There are no other lists I've joined where I feel this comfortable and no other group of fans who've welcomed me more. For one thing, my ignorance is tolerated exceptionally well here. Not to mention my flightiness. (Hey, is that a pun? butterfly? flighty? Nah, I didn't think so either. Never mind.) The sheer existence of slash, my most secret fantasies brought to life, still boggles my mind; I need a bumper sticker that says "Gee, I thought I was the only one." It's only been a couple of years since I discovered the existence of fan fiction in any fandom, and I admit to still feeling a bit like a kid in a candy store. (This one's my favorite... no, this one... no, this is... hey, lookie what I just found... oooh, I haven't had one of these in years; I *love* these...) > The only thing I find have ever found intimidating about this list, is the > obvious finesse of the authors whose work I have long admired, who are *also* > on this list. Man, I *hate* to look a fool, and although I have one S&H > snippet I'm working on, the fear of posting is in a geometric progression > with the finish rate. You said it, sister. One of our accomplished listsibs has been coaxing and cajoling me on an almost daily basis to start writing. It's about like trying to get a head-shy horse loaded into a trailer, I'd imagine. The woman has the patience of a saint, I'm telling ya. "Just one little sentence... that's a good girl..." "But but but... what if... what if they point and laugh?!" "If they point and laugh, I'll kill them, all right? Come on, that's it..." "But... uh...what if... what if..." "Shush... it'll be ok, I promise... Look, I've done it lots of times..." "Well, yeah, sure, but you're good and...and... and I don't know what the f*ck I'm doin'..." "Easy now... here, try this bit of dialogue... see?... that's my girl..." All I have to do is take a another look at Flamingo's stuff (or my most recent terror, Ro's MUNCLE stories) to fly into a panic and dive under the bed crying "Look at that! I can't do that! Look at that, would ya! Ohmygodohmygodohmygod..." > I... am *so* out of touch > with "Starsky and Hutch" episodes, that in order to get their voices, I am > relying on fanfic. This leads to what is a normal expression of terror in > me. ditto... ditto... me, too... > Also, as a beginning writer, I am in awe of the amount of well-written > material out there and have yet to read someone's stumbling attempt. It's > difficult to drum up the courage when surrounded by teachers, professors, > professionals... etc. Yep... yep... that's right... that's me all over... > >From Venice Place, I get an overall feeling of camaraderie, a place where I > can relax and know that flames and trolls are rare to nonexistent, can read > posts that are filled with humor, insight and occasional pathos regarding two > of my fave men. I sometimes feel like I'm sitting at the feet of the masters, lurking here. Kind, benevolent masters; not the kinds with the whips and chains. > I am, however, a lurker by nature. Extremely introverted, posting is almost > nonexistent. Of all the slash lists I *am* on... Venice Place is the only > place I post semi-consistently. I can fake extroverted pretty well; once in a blue moon; for short periods of time. I just close my eyes and dive in. Uh, like now, for instance. Then I do the duck and cover routine. Uh, like I'm doing now... Diana Head of VP Security "Call me if you need me; I'll be under the desk"