Special thanks to Pauline!  Story from Flamingo

Funny Commercial


   There's this commercial for some kind of macho car radio system that I keep hearing on the radio. If anyone remembers Arnold Stang, a gawky, geeky character actor with a very humorous voice that sounds just like he looks, it's his voice on the commercial. He says, (paraphrased), "You pull up along side a sleek white convertible with a blond goddess behind the wheel, adjust your celebrity knock off sunglasses and smooth back your stylish hair cut hoping it's still covering your bald spot. Then you lean over to turn on your new [fancy name brand car stereo] with the [complicated details of system speakers], planning to blast out your favorite macho stud music, amazing her with your virile choice of tunes, when, as you turn the dial to maximum loudness you hear..."

   [music of actual recording!]

   "Don't give up on us, baby, etc...."

   [Stang again] "And then you vow never to let your sister borrow your car again."

   I never paid any attention to this commercial until, of course, I heard David's dulcid tones, and never could figure out what the hell the commercial was about. Tonight, in the quiet of the middle of the night here at the hospital, I finally realized what the ad was about and laughed myself silly!! And what that poor dude doesn't realize is that the woman in that car would probably be much more impressed by David's song than some macho studly tune!! But the amazing thing is that it's actually David singing in the commercial! It startles me every time I hear it!

   What a hoot!

Return to Library