Sleep the Sleep of Angels



The dreams are bright and soft, disconnected from the world and yet everything in it all at once, overlaying each other like cards falling from a dealer's hand. The sweet, sharp smoke brings them, forms them, rearranges them in Brian's head to create a world where he is nothing like the man he knows he is – out there in the other world. He knows which one he prefers.

Brian out there in the other world is tough and quick, barely touched by the blood on his hands. A man's man. An Immortal man. The Finest Swordsman in Europe. Four hundred years old and still going strong.

Inside the dreams he can admit to himself what a lie that all is. Inside the dreams where he can sleep the sleep of angels, imagine a life without the blood and death; imagine the man he'd be if only the dreams were real. In his dreams he is a good man, strong, whole. Beloved.

When the dreams are good.

There are times though, when the dreams have claws and teeth red with blood. When everything he's lost and everything yet before him seems to collide in a screaming symphony of loss. Those are the times when there is no refuge. No refuge other than the sweet promise of the next dream.

It's a crapshoot, which dreams he'll dream, but the good outnumber the bad and while they do, he'll keep chasing them, chasing his own weakness -- his shadow -- the things he can't admit he wants. Chasing oblivion. It's what he wants. What he needs.

But he knows that's a lie. He can have all the oblivion money can buy, but it can't fill the hole inside him. It's the hole dug by the hundreds who've died on his blade, by the cravings that nothing ever satisfies for long. By the endless journey of a life that clings to itself no matter how he'd sometimes love to throw it away.

And he would love to throw it away. God, if the oblivion could last forever, then…then the pain and the craving and goddamn aching emptiness would finally end. But despite it all, he can't seem to do it.

There are moments, razor thin moments in time when the fight hangs in the balance and one slip, one tiny slip would do it. A little to the right, a little to the left, and it would all be over. He can feel those moments drawing at him like standing on the edge of a cliff, whispering to him seductively that jumping would be easy.

But because he's just a cowardly, foolish bastard hanging on for the sake of it, too mired the habit of living to take on the next adventure, he turns away from death when it comes calling. Too hooked on the dreams, the lies, the sweet-sharp kaleidoscope illusions drawn on wreaths of smoke he needs to re-invent his life into something he can bear to live.

And yet he does live.

Perhaps it's his punishment, his curse, to live on while the hole inside grows deeper and darker. Perhaps there aren't enough angels in the universe to cure what ails him. Perhaps it is fit that the angels are fleeting and the pain is immortal.

Perhaps only death can cure that.

The end


Back to Contents

Send Feedback