The Due South Fiction Archive Comments

Comments on You Just Have To Leap

Number of comments: 13

(post new comment)
From: SLq
Date: 08/25/2016
Oh. My. GOD. Thank you so much for this fantastic piece. I read every word - this coming from a chronic skimmer - and had the stupidest, biggest grin on my face the entirety of the last third and oh, you have made my night <3

Beautiful prose, wonderful characterization, and such dedication to detail. Please let me know if you have books published, I would love to read them <3

From: ride_4ever
Date: 04/03/2013
Perfect like a perfect thing. Brill plotting, perfect Fraser and Ray voicing, lovely first-time sexing, great application of canonical references and very effective use of non-linear narrative.

*twirls you*

From: fiction
Date: 07/11/2012
I know this was written ages ago but I’ve been revisiting all my old fandoms and managed to miss this story first time round.

I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed it. As someone with dyslexia and dyspraxia I know what it’s like to constantly question my own intelligence as well as competence at work (thank God for spell check). Ray’s POV felt very real and well written. Thank you for getting it so right.

From: meelie
Date: 10/05/2010
What a great story! I really liked this!

From: saintdogstreet
Date: 09/24/2010
Okay, this is really, really good. Amazing. Fantastic. Lots of other adjectives. It's just. . . it's hilarious, and perfect, and I really love the Kowalski you've shown here. Both the backstory and the current case are interesting, the pacing and writing are both spot-on, and it's all just awesome.

From: Kirsty
Date: 06/23/2010
I enjoyed how the flashbacks fitted into the story. our characterisation is spot on. Thankyou

From: csad21
Date: 03/13/2010
I found this story through the community epic_recs, and I have to say, it immediately made itself a place in my heart. :)

I liked the tone of the story: Ray's insecurities, Fraser's at times frustrating (for both) attempts to convince Ray he's *not* mentally disabled, no matter what anybody else might say, and while you seem to paint Stella in a nice tone, I'd say it still showed that Fraser has obviously more faith in Ray, a higher opinion of him, than Stella. Which is weird, considering Stella should know Ray better, having known him almost all his life.

And that's where it makes itself known how much this story stayed true to canon, not to mention the case itself and how they went about it.

What I especially liked is this part:

"Fraser was so upright, so damn straight, that sometimes Ray forgot he wasn't actually a by-the-book guy. He had some basic principles he wouldn't violate for any reason, but there were plenty of rules he was willing to bend if the reason was good enough."

That you didn't gloss over this part of Fraser's character, that you had Ray recognize it in this story as he does in canon - something that, for some reason, gets neglected at times. (Why, I have no idea.)

Oh, and the part with the swamp monster, the swan-turtle comparison and Ray's obvious concern for his turtle Speedy? Very sweet.

All in all, suffice to say, I loved this story, before the gushing becomes too much :)

From: plotbunniofdoom
Date: 09/23/2009
This was wonderful!

I loved the case - like an episode of the show!

And the humour and the characterisations were both spot on. I love your Ray voice - how insecure he is.

Great story - hot sex scene too! :D

From: Crystal
Date: 04/23/2009
Fabulous story! Your dialogue was so perfect I could hear both Fraser and RayK as I read along!

From: Sihaya Black
Date: 04/20/2009
What a wonderful, lovely, long, plotty story! Your characterizations of Ray and Fraser are spot on and perfect, and I enjoyed Ray's backstory.

I look forward to reading this again and again!

From: Kathy B
Date: 07/18/2008
This story has great plot, fantastic characterization, and spot on dialog! I can’t wait to read more of your writing. Thanks

From: Aewnaur
Date: 06/16/2008
that was perfect esp the last paragraph it really brought it all together and let RayK shine.. so perfectly in character for all of them. Wonderful ThankYou
From: Avg
Date: 05/17/2008
>"Yeah." That was them, Swamp Monster and his s>idekick Ceiling Mole.

Rolling on the floor laughing at this point. Loved the whole story. Thanks for posting this.
(post new comment)