The Due South Fiction Archive Comments

Comments on Finding the Words

Number of comments: 22

(post new comment)
From: rayknbenton
Date: 03/26/2012
A truly beautiful story, one to come back to and reread time and time again.

From: IDM
Date: 08/21/2010
What a beautiful story - enjoyed it so much!

Your RayK and Fraser are briliant and I loved how you showed Ray's struggle and frustration and Fraser's reactions to it.

Victoria showing up was a bonus and led to a wonderful ending.

Thank you!

From: azdaja
Date: 06/24/2010
This is something quite special; Your take on Ray's aphasia was sensitive and quite brilliant. The frustration and the triumphs of relearning everything had me hooked; from laughter to tears at points at the slow (but realistic) recovery that didn't once become over-angsty. And Fraser! Oh Fraser, you have him dealing with Ray fantastically in the almost impossible situation he had of hiding their relationship. Nicely written.

From: ifurita
Date: 05/04/2009
I love alot of your stories- you write comedy very well! If your pen name's on it, I read it! This one is so well written. I love Ray's POV. He's got me crying and laughing! I think I saw a note that you might continue this one? I'd definately be in line to read it!

Thank you for sharing your DS fiction. It's a real pleasure to read, and re-read ^ ^

a fan ~ifurita

From: soracia
Date: 07/19/2008
wow. I. really don't know what to say. though I came via recommendation, I wasn't expecting this story to be good, when I started it. It has a premise that makes me doubtful, and yet. though it took some time for it to hook me, ultimately it is... lovely and bittersweet and real. good job, with an unusual thing. really good job. A+++
From: Azarias
Date: 05/25/2008
Oh, lovely. I read this after a recommendation by ... well, I'm not sure whom, really, since the discussion involved was both anonymous and profane, but whoever it is, I owe a thanks. This, a purring cat, and a hot cup of tea were exactly what I needed today.
From: Emma Hawkes
Date: 02/13/2008
This is wonderful - so slow and yet so dramatic.
From: Jaybee222
Date: 07/07/2007
Here via the LiveJournal Crack Van. Fabulous story.
From: Rebecca
Date: 07/07/2007
So, uhm, yeah. Here via recommendation. You know, I work rehab (usually post-stroke as opposed to post-head injury, but still) and this was handled -- so amazingly well. And never, ever hit my "too much angst" button.
From: slashslut
Date: 04/01/2007
bitter sweet; it made me all misty eyed! so glad there was a happy ending:)
From: spufffyduds
Date: 03/18/2007
Wow, I loved this so much! The writing was lovely throughout, with the alternating voices working perfectly. I could quote a million lines but for some reason I used to look like a garden rake, now I look like a garden rake that has been sick and only missed rake heaven by a prong - or something. particularly killed me.

I was particularly impressed with your deft seeding of a plot point--Ray learning ASL to get past the apraxia, and it then becoming extremely important during the Victoria standoff. That was EXCELLENT.

And the long-awaited sex was steamy and tender and funny.

And you just generally made my morning and now I want to buy you a slice of pie.
From: mergatrude
Date: 02/26/2007
I really enjoyed this story. It was deeply moving without ever making me feel like it was trying too hard to make me cry. I loved the characterisations, and the tension you built, both emotionally and with the plot. I've reread it a couple of times now, and probably will again. Thank you.
From: china_shop
Date: 11/08/2006
God, I just printed this out and read it in bed (am home sick), and it made me cry and cry, and was wonderful and so *loving*! I felt Ray's triumph at going out to get his haircut, and his frustration at not being able to express himself, but it was Ben's pain that really tugged at my heartstrings -- not knowing whether Ray would remember, whether he'd still want Fraser. And Maggie, and evil evil Victoria, and everything! *flails*

There were some wonderfully quirky Due South-esque moment and lines, and so much heartfelt real emotion. I really loved this. Thank you!
From: Abi
Date: 10/31/2006
This is wonderful. I think that my very, very most feared thing in life would be a brain injury. I just don't know how I would be able to deal, so I love that Ray dealt so well with it and retained so much of himself. And Fraser being his caretaker and still so much in love with him makes me all warm inside. Thank you.
From: Michelle Ford (tryst_70@yahoo.com.au)
Date: 07/04/2006
Lovely lovely story....Ben's vunerablility and Ray's stubborness was a delight to read...and the sex was good too...lol....keep up the good work
From: Debris (debris_k@yahoo.com)
Date: 06/22/2006
I loved reading this story; it was great! What does it say about me that fics where strong, capable men get serious head injuries really turn my crank? *vbg* You write good stuff, even if I *am* a sick, sick puppy... ;-)
From: Vicki (vickim100@yahoo.com)
Date: 06/20/2006
I read your story and it hit close to home. I had divorced my husband but we were still living together. He was having an online affair with some woman. He actually drove across state to meet her. Well things didn't go as well as he had planned so when he came back he was ready to get back together. Less than a week later he had an aneurysm. I was very worried he would wake in the hospital (after I got over being worried he wouldn't wake at all)and not know why I was there and not remember we had made up. Unlike your Ray he didn't have any speech problems. He was perhaps a couple of seconds slower than he had been and he had some lingering physical problems. I guess I wrote all this so you would know that I related to this on several levels. Just so you know I took care of him and supported him for a year after the aneurysm. Then he basically told me he didn't love me and went to live with his mother.
From: Pixie Smith (pixiesmith04@yahoo.com.au)
Date: 06/17/2006
Oh yes! I really liked this story! The whole writing it from the two differnt viewpoints and using diary entries to do it really worked. Every time Ray cried and Fraser comforted him without ever getting irritated or angry really tugged on my heartstrings. We all know that Ray's emotional, so to see all his emotions on the surface was, whoa! I really, really enjoyed this story! Great writing.
From: W
Date: 06/17/2006
A beautiful story, full of hope, romance, and happy endings. And, a Ben & Ray who feel absolutely true to life. I wouldn't be adverse to reading a sequel . . . or two!

Thank you for sharing!
From: nicci (nicci@popullus.net)
Date: 06/16/2006
Just read the whole thing again. Voices - perfect, story - gripping. I cant tell you too many times how great this is
From: ranger1s
Date: 06/16/2006
Great story! This would be a good one to make into a series. Please continue writing.
From: Bleu (Bleucollar@sbcglobal.net)
Date: 06/16/2006
Wonderful, amazing, fantastic, lovely...Get my drift here?
(post new comment)