The BLTS Archive - Tapestry One Snowblind by Unzadi (unzadi@aol.com) --- Archives: ASC, please. Anyone else, please ask. Disclaimers: Paramount owns Star Trek, but everything else is mine, mine, mine, and they can't have it. Their sandbox, my toys, yada yada yada... --- *It was cold, so cold, too cold. Too cold to sleep, which was good. Where was it? Control panel should be...so cold...right about...weak...there. Dialect. The cursed thing was in dialect. No matter. Just remember the sequence. Red first, then purple. No purple, but there was green. Try green. Cold, so cold. Could blood freeze?* *No time for that. Green, then blue, orange, or white? Cold, so cold, cold and weak. Orange, definitely orange. Green again, now yellow, now red once more. Now white. That was in dialect, too? Verify? Ridiculous. Too easy to imitate something so familiar....* *There! Shudder, lights, then the hum of engine. Up, up, higher, faster, no going back now. Forget the pain. Stay awake. Plot course? Ridiculous. Straight ahead was wisest. Beeline. So cold, so tired, so weak. No. Stay awake, sleep later. Time later for everything, for anything. Only stay awake now. Put some distance behind...cold, so cold...no, no, up, not down. Not down, not...sleep.* --- "We are being hailed, sir." Riker shifted in the command seat and scowled. "Hailed? From where?" Worf consulted the panel in front of him. "The planet's surface," he growled, less than pleased at this interruption so close to the end of his shift. Riker was merely surprised. "Philemon Three? Mr. Worf, are you sure?" "Quite certain, sir." Riker repositioned himself in the command chair. "I wonder what they want, " he mused aloud. "We're going to be there soon enough." "Seven hours, thirty-six minutes, and twenty-eight seconds to be exact," Data put in helpfully, not looking up from his console. "Still hailing, sir." "On viewer," Riker commanded. The main viewscreen flickered to life with the image of an older, human male, with a dirt-streaked face, his body swathed in a grey fur parka. "Try again, Mendez. They should be in range. Wait, I think we're getting something." The man squinted at his own screen, cupping gloved hands around his goggled eyes. "Hello?" Despite feeling it inappropriate, Riker couldn't help smiling. *At least it isn't going to be anything hostile.* "Hello yourself. Commander William Riker at your service. What can we do for you?" The man visibly relaxed, an exhale of relief fluttering the fur trim of his parka's hood. "Governor Eric Anderson here, Commander. Don't worry, we're fine, I think." "Glad to hear it, Governor. We'll be in orbit around your planet in just over seven hours." "Seven hours, thirty-five minutes and four seconds at current speed," Data supplied, again not looking up from his work. The governor's brow furrowed. "Could you get here any sooner?" "Sooner?" Riker crossed his arms in front of him. He didn't have the patience for games. "Do you require additional supplies?" He had no idea what the tiny settlement could have run out of in just six months. When Starfleet had planted the mining settlement, they had left more than enough supplies for eight months. Unless the miners had been throwing one hell of a party, there was no reasonable explanation for running out so soon. "Not exactly, Commander. As I said, we're fine, I think. Nothing's gone wrong with any of the mining equipment, or anything like that." He paused, pulling at the fingers of his left glove. "About an hour ago, we heard something crash; a vehicle of some sort. We can't spare any of our people to investigate, and none of the native workers will even go near the mountains. That's about where the object went down." Riker cursed silently. *There goes the poker game.* "Could it have been one of your own transport vehicles?" Anderson shook his head. The hood remained in place. "That's what I thought at first. All of our pods are accounted for, and our native workers don't use any form of machinery, as you know. We'll all feel a lot better if you could..." His voice trailed off, the hope in his eyes saying the rest. Riker didn't need to hear anything else. "Understood, Governor. Do you think there might be any survivors?" Anderson cast about before answering. "Possibly," he allowed. "But it's cold, even for here. I've got everyone but the natives indoors. Plus, we're due for another ice storm before long. If anyone survived that crash, they couldn't make it to us. Besides," he added, "you're bringing our medical staff." Riker's voice was clipped as he assessed the situation. "What have you got now?" "One medic with a medikit. He can only do so much. I'm afraid the poor man didn't get much training. The doctor Starfleet provided us with went ice climbing two weeks ago, and was killed in a fall. He took his nurse with him, and she didn't make it back, either. " Anderson paused for a long, pitiful sigh. "Of course, the natives won't have anything to do with the medic anyway, so it's only Federation people he has to..." "We'll have a medical team ready," Riker cut in. "As soon as we size up your situation, I'll let you know when to expect us. In the meantime, keep us abreast of any new developments on your end." Anderson smiled uneasily. "Good. We'll do that. Hope to see you soon." With that, the image winked out, leaving only the starfield on the viewscreen. Riker's fingers drummed against the armrests. "Recommendations?" Looking up from his station, Data blinked and stretched rather artificially, which he did at regular intervals on double shifts like this one. "Surface temperature is minus forty-three point two five six degrees Celsius and dropping. Any unprotected lifeform would be extremely susceptible to exposure." *That,* thought Riker, *is an understatement.* From the rear of the bridge, Worf dissented. "I would proceed with caution. Governor Anderson did not say what the vehicle might be. It or its occupants may be armed. The natives," he summed up, pointedly, "are reluctant to approach the area. That does not inspire confidence." Riker looked to Data. "Why?" "The Dega are a group of natives similar to the Amish people of Earth's America. Like their Terran counterparts, the Dega shun technology and modern lifestyles. They live in a separate community and do only manual labour in the mines. They have a long-standing cultural taboo about going near the mountain range." He would have elaborated on the taboo's origins, but a sharp look from Riker convinced him to save it for another time. "Thank you, Data. Mr. Worf, begin a sensor sweep of the mountain range. Scan for life signs and keep an eye out for vessels in orbit or on the planet's surface. Check to see what's been coming and going in the past few days." His fingers wanted to go to his communicator and inform the captain of this new development, but he remembered Dr. Crusher's insistence that Picard have an extra, undisturbed sleep period. Worf's low grunt announced that he had a report already. "Two alien ships have entered Philemon Three's orbit in the past seven days. A Caitian freighter came four days ago, and left the next day. " He paused, his lips curling back at the next bit of information. "A Ferengi merchant arrived two days ago, and is still in the capital city. No shuttles." Riker tapped a button on the arm of his chair. "Riker to Crusher." There was a metallic chirp, then, "Crusher here." "How close is the medical staff for Philemon Three to being ready?" "Everything's right on schedule," Beverly Crusher answered warily. Riker made his decision. "Get them ahead of schedule. We'll need two medics for a landing party the minute we make orbit. You and your best med-tech. Riker out." He stood. "Data, assemble an away team, then notify Geordi. He'll want to get a look at whatever we find. On second thought, put him on the team." He paused to catch his breath. It didn't take a Betazoid to know this wasn't going to be the easy mission they'd been expecting. "Warp eight." --- The away team materialised in a hazy blue shimmer. Geordi La Forge surveyed the crash site, VISOR and tricorder readings telling him to hurry. "Ouch. Good thing I don't have to repair that, Geordi thought aloud, with a low whistle. "Okay, let's get a move on, people. No telling what this thing's going to do." "I'm still reading life signs," Beverly Crusher reported, sweeping her medical scanner around the general area. "But I can't tell how strong. Can we open the hatch?" Worf gestured impatiently at the other security officer, Jeffrey Taylor, a muscle-bound human male of medium height. He wished that Data had been on the team, but Riker had decided at the last minute that the android would be more useful on board. "Reading no weapons, sir," the Klingon rumbled as he plowed through knee-high snow to reach the downed shuttle. Rohit Sabu, a young East Indian engineer, cleared his throat, scowling at his instrument. "Commander La Forge?" "Getting something, Sabu?" Sabu nodded. "It's the shuttle, sir. My tricorder says it's of Romulan origin, at least partly." Geordi sighed. Ensign Sabu was a good engineer, but timid around his superiors. "Romulan it is," he confirmed, just to make sure. "Mr. Sabu, give Worf and Taylor a hand with that hatch. We'll assume hostility." The East Indian joined the security team in pulling at the entry hatch. The three men stopped, conferred, then Worf aimed a light phaser blast until a large enough hole appeared. He entered quickly, followed by Beverly and an Andorian med-tech. Beverly and her assistant wasted no time in reaching the shuttle's lone occupant, a child-sized human slumped over the pilot's seat. The still form looked more dead than alive. Fur robes that had once been as white as everything else on the planet were now stained various shades of red, from bright crimson to dull brick. Wisps of long, fair hair hung out from under the torn hood, falling forward over the controls. The pilot's left arm dangled limply in its socket, dislocated, fingers poised as if reaching for something. "Human, female." The Andorian's voice still delivered the typical mid-sentence pause, though she spoke quickly. Beverly frowned at her tricorder. "Whatever else she's got, she's lost too much blood to stay here." She slapped the communicator on her parka. "Three to beam directly to Sickbay." As soon as the doctors and patient were gone, Geordi and Sabu piled in. The shuttle might be of Romulan design, Geordi thought, but someone else had been using it. No Romulan would ever let a shuttle get that run down. "Mr. Sabu, check the climate control. I've got the..." Geordi stopped in mid-sentence as his VISOR gave him the most important information. "Out! The reactor's going to blow any second!" On his own, Sabu might have hesitated, but Worf's bulk propelled him though the hatch, with Geordi right behind. Worf ordered Taylor away from the shuttle as soon as the Klingon's head cleared the hatch. Mere seconds after they had gotten a safe distance away, the craft quaked, hissed, and blew. "Four to beam up." --- Beverly hit the ground running. Shrugging out of her heavy parka, she rattled off medical readings as fast as she could get them. "Three broken ribs, two cracked. One pierced lung, internal bleeding. Cranial hemorrhage. Disruptor burns." The next reading brought a twinge of sadness to her voice. "She had a miscarriage roughly forty-eight hours ago." Beverly forced herself to go on, as she quickly donned her red operating gown over her uniform. "Multiple contusions, abrasions and lacerations. Left arm dislocated at shoulder. We'll fix that manually." Medical technician Eliva Riss, a slender young Andorian female whose skin nearly matched the blue of her uniform, lowered the patient onto the waiting diagnostic bed. With no time to waste, her agile blue hands brushed long blonde hair away from the patient's chest, seeking the outer garment's opening. Stripping it off, the Andorian's eyes noticed something glimmering against the rough fabric of the patient's clothes. Her antennae twitched at the sight of the familiar metallic shape. "Doctor?" Beverly removed the communicator from the smaller woman's clothes. "Get this down to Engineering," she ordered, handing it off to a waiting med-tech. "Eliva, get the rest of those clothes off her and watch out for any more surprises." With only enough pause for a resigned sigh, Beverly tapped her own communicator. "Crusher to Riker." "Riker here." "Will, you'd better get down here. Our shuttle pilot is in possession of a Starfleet communicator. I'm going to see if we can find out whose. Right now -" She glanced over at the diagnostic bed, where Eliva was busily cutting away at the blood-soaked cloth that covered the woman. "We've got to get her stabilized, and that's not going to be easy." Rough and impatient, Riker's voice cut in. "Her?" He could feel conflicting senses of hope and fear rising within him. * Maybe...* In the background, he could hear the rushed chatter of the medical staff going about the business of caring for the nameless patient. Beverly's exasperated sigh cut through the rest of the noise. "Yes, her. The patient is human, female..." She paused, trying to get an accurate estimate of the woman's age. "Early to mid-twenties, I'd say, Caucasian..." For half a second, Riker could feel his own heart stop. Please... "About one point five meters tall, blonde, purple eyes?" Beverly ground out a growl of irritation. "This is hardly the time to check her out for dating potential. I didn't see a wedding ring on her, either. I'm trying to save the woman's life. Right now, her physical attributes are the least of my concern." There was a brief pause before Riker answered, his voice choked out around carefully chosen words. He didn't want to make any mistakes. This was too important. "Doctor, I believe I can identify your patient. I'm on my way. Riker out." Beverly let out a long breath. "Okay, he's on his way. We'll need blood, human, type A..." Surgery was already under way when Riker strode into Sickbay, his steps longer and faster than usual, but not quite at a run. Beverly and Eliva were working furiously, blood-red operating gowns unsettling him, as they always did. He could never shake the feeling that the gowns had been white when they began the surgeries, and were only red because the patient didn't have a prayer. This one, though, had all of his. If he was right, if the woman on the operating table was who he suspected, there was going to be one hell of a lot more than a simple report to make. He caught a few of the words tossed back and forth between Beverly and her assistant - words like blood, pseudo-skin, hypo, suture, close. When Beverly finally pronounced her patient stable, she turned away from the table, looking weary, but relieved. The dark circles under her drooping eyelids stood out in stark relief against her pale skin, the usually invisible fine lines at the corners of her eyes showing like spiderwebs against glass. "How long have you been there?" "Since I got here," Riker said, looking past Beverly at the still form on the bed. "I'll have a look at her now." Without waiting for permission, he moved toward the patient. Beverly pulled off her hood and ran an unsteady hand through her sweat-damp hair. "I don't suppose you asked for the time before you got here." She punctuated her sentence with a weary smile. "Never mind. She's stable, for now. I wouldn't try to ask her anything for quite some time, though. She's got enough to do just staying alive. I'd like to get Deanna down here and see if she can..." Riker stopped listening. One look at the woman's face blocked out everything else. He'd been right. "Sarah." Beverly snapped alert at the tenderness in Riker's voice. "You can make a positive identification?" Riker's mouth curved into a half-smile. The other half could come when he was sure he was awake. "Absolutely. Beverly Crusher, allow me to introduce you to Lieutenant Sarah Elizabeth Anne Mary Catherine Cromwell." "You know her?" "I know her," he stated. *Better than I can tell you.* He hovered around her bed, not daring to touch her. The porcelain features he remembered fondly were now misshapen, swollen from injury, surgery and medication. What skin he could see was either pink with pseudo-skin or violently black and blue. "How long before she comes to?" He didn't dare ask whether there was an *if* connected to her regaining consciousness. Beverly shrugged, peeling off the operating gown and letting it drop to the floor. Her own posture sagged as well. "I can't say, Will. Eliva, call up the medical records for Lieutenant Sarah Cromwell. Hopefully, we won't need to enter all those middle names." She turned to Riker. "I suppose you know her last posting." Riker nodded, not taking his eyes off Sarah. "USS *Hoyle.* She held the position of second officer. I can save you the rest of the questions," he offered. "She was born on April ninth, 2342, in Devon, England, on Earth." If Beverly felt any surprise over just how much Riker knew about Sarah Cromwell, she didn't show it. Instead, she looked toward Eliva. "How's it coming?" The Andorian's fingers flew over the keypad, entering in the information as fast as Riker had given it. "I've got it, Doctor." Beverly turned her attention to the computer display. "I suppose we'd best notify the *Hoyle* that we've found their MIA. That is, if these readings match up," she said, mostly to herself, as she compared the figures in her tricorder to the stored records. "Which they do. Thank you, Commander. You've made our job a lot easier. Relatively, that is. You can go back to the bridge, Will," she added softly. "She's going to be out for some time." "Call me when she comes out of it," he instructed, pulling the sheet covering Sarah just a tad higher on her shoulders. *I'll be back,* he promised silently. *Don't go anywhere.* --- *Light. Too much light. Voices. Hands. Warm. Pain? No, not anymore. Good. Better that way. Easier.* *Enough sleep. No, want more. No time. Voices. Get away from voices. Different voices this time, but no time to listen. Have to get started again. Have to get away. Or is this it? Take time to listen. Could make all the difference. Listen. Different language. Different, familiar...what was it? Remember. Just a few words. Just enough to understand.* *Voices finished? Already? Touch. Metal. Hiss. From where? Warmer now. Better. What touched? Who touched? Comfort. Safe.* *Lying down? That's not right. Should be sitting. Try to sit. Can't get up. Want to, need to. Body doesn't understand.* *Find...have to find...find what? Panel. Not here! Not here? Not here. Impossible! Unless...unless already there.* *Voices calm, soft. Hands steady, strong, but gentle. Never gentle before. No harm here. Safety. Must be already there. How to know? Think. That's it. Ask. No, wrong words. They don't understand. Try Standard...* "Lieutenant Cromwell?" *Must be there. They must have seen it. It was worth saving, hiding. They know...* Lieutenant Sarah Elizabeth Anne Mary Catherine Cromwell, lately of the USS *Hoyle*, tried to sit up. "You're in restraints," a soft, female voice informed her. "Do you know where you are, Lieutenant?" Violet eyes opened slowly, then blinked shut at the glare of the lighting. The tenseness of her features eased as she slipped back into the welcoming darkness, allowing herself to drink in the symphony of sounds and voices. *Made it, thank God.* For the first time in months, she smiled. Beverly regarded her patient with motherly concern. "Go ahead, sleep. You'll need it." She tapped her communicator. "Crusher to Riker. Sleeping Beauty is trying to wake up." "On my way." --- "She doesn't take to light very well," Beverly explained as she led Riker into the small recovery room. "So we're keeping things at this illumination for now. My guess is that it's what she's used to. When she knows where she is, we'll try making it a little brighter." The doctor paused to flash Riker what she hoped was a reassuring smile. By the tight, thin line between his eyes, she could tell there was a lot more going on in his mind than mere professional concern. "Whatever the lighting, I'm sure she'll appreciate a friendly face." "I'm sure," Riker said, as if he'd been paying attention. All his thoughts were on the figure on the diagnostic bed, dressed now in the standard issue Sickbay gown. "How is she?" Beverly hesitated, worrying her chapped lower lip between her teeth. "For someone in her condition, not too bad. Deanna's with a regular appointment now, but she'll take a look at the lieutenant in about an hour." Riker stepped up to the bed. For a moment, all he did was look at her. As a surprising tenderness overtook his reason, he felt as though he ought to be doing something, but wasn't sure what. The dimness of the lighting was an added blessing. He'd seen cases like this before, but when it was someone close, someone who had been...he just didn't want to see all of it. Behind him, he could hear Beverly's breathing. Of course she would stay in the room to monitor Sarah's responses. He chose to ignore her. Someone, he saw, had been thoughtful enough to braid Sarah's long hair. He wondered if they'd known she liked it that way; so did he. One of his fingers toyed with a sweat-damp wisp. That was when he noticed just how cold the room was. Of course it was cold. That was another thing Sarah would be used to, after all that time in the deep-freeze. Riker wondered exactly how much of her the Romulans had allowed to escape. Romulan torture was known for its thoroughness. If they'd destroyed *her*... Riker's free hand clenched into a fist at his side, the fingernails digging into his palm. He didn't feel it. The slight flutter of Sarah's pale, wet lashes demanded all of his attention. "I think she's coming to." "Talk to her," Beverly urged, not moving from where she was. "See if she remembers you." Riker's finger wound itself again in the damp wisp, as he recalled, inexplicably, a time on the *Hood* when he'd had to ask Sarah to wear her hair up. The long fall of pale silver-blonde hair had been termed too distracting on duty. He could vouch for that. Taking a deep breath, he brought himself back to the present. "Hey, Brit." Misty violet eyes slid open and looked at him quizzically, as though she were trying to find him in a crowd. Her lips formed each word silently before she spoke it. "Willie? Is that you?" She still looked at him, eyes searching. "It's me." She managed a weak smile of relief, one a stranger wouldn't have noticed. "Is it the beard?" Sarah regarded him for only a second, her eyes taking in the length of his body as well as his face. "No." She paused long enough for a coquettish glance at his midsection. "You've got your trousers on." Involuntarily, Beverly laughed, an absolute guffaw that echoed off the Sickbay walls. Riker, not nearly as amused, released Sarah's hair. "She'll be fine," he pronounced, in a grumble, running a hand over his beard to hide the grin he didn't want either woman to see. Beverly bit back a smile of her own. "If you say so." She stepped forward, sweeping the diagnostic wand over Sarah. "Just as I thought," she observed, taking note of the readings. "Your being here has brought her heart rate down considerably. Better than the medication, in fact. It's nearly normal. I'd keep this guy around if I were you," she advised Sarah, who slipped back into sleep before the sentence was finished. "Is she always like that?" Beverly cast a pointed glance at Riker's uniform. "Most of the time," Riker admitted, not willing to let Beverly know she'd heard one of Sarah's more gentle jibes. "Poor Romulans." Beverly adjusted her instrument, taking a second reading, partly for good measure, but mostly to fill the silence. "Will, she's going to need that sense of humour to get over this. I know you're going to want to debrief her and all, but please remember that she's been through some serious physical trauma. That's going to affect the rest of her." A thin, tense line appeared between Riker's eyes. "You don't have to remind me, Doctor." Beverly winced at the sharpness of Riker's tone, the words hitting her ears like hypodermic needles. "I didn't mean to patronize you. It's just that Sarah is going to be healing for quite some time. Six months of Romulan torture is a serious thing. They don't just settle for bruising the body; it goes deeper than that. There are some things I'll need to know that aren't in here." She held up the instrument and tapped it for emphasis. "You're the best one to tell me. What is Lieutenant Sarah Cromwell like?" *A miracle.* Riker's expression eased, a cloud passing behind his eyes before he broke into a roguish grin. "Doctor, do I need to remind you that I once took an oath to always comport myself as an officer and a gentleman?" "I'm serious." "So am I," Riker responded, stepping slightly away from the table, crossing his arms in front of him. "So is she, for that matter. She loves Chopin and painting. She hates short jokes. Don't let her size fool you. She has a command presence that can make a Klingon soil himself, as she'd put it." He paused, a hand going up to press against his temple. It had been one hell of a long day, and it didn't seem to be getting any shorter. "I'd trust her brain over a computer's memory banks any day. She remembers everything. Even the things everybody else would rather forget. Especially those," he added, more to himself than for Beverly's benefit. "Trust me, if she's decided to survive, she will." --- The senior staff of the USS Enterprise sat around the conference table, eyes intent on the viewscreen as Beverly explained the images. "These are more disruptor burns," she said unnecessarily, her voice weary. All present had seen Romulan disruptor burns before, and Beverly had shown them more than enough on this particular patient. Those crewmembers who had experienced disruptor burns themselves couldn't help feeling them again now. The screen only showed small areas at a time, but the extent of the injuries was readily apparent. The woman's body looked as though it had hosted a battle. "There is no doubt in my mind that Lieutenant Sarah Cromwell was systematically tortured. Whoever had her wanted something very badly. From the looks of her, she didn't give them any of it." Captain Jean-Luc Picard looked at Beverly over the steeple of his fingers. "You have verified the woman's identity?" Riker cleared his throat and ran a hand over his beard before speaking. "I've been...previously acquainted with Lieutenant Cromwell, sir. I identified her in Sickbay. After that, we ran a check with her records from the *Hoyle.* We got a positive match." Satisfied, Picard leaned back in his chair, still thoughtful. "Have we received anything from the *Hoyle* besides that?" Data, who had been waiting rather patiently, spoke up. "Six months, two weeks, and four days ago, the *Hoyle* was assigned to station the mining settlement on Philemon Three. Lieutenant Cromwell was leading an away team to survey the site of the settlement. The area was hit by an unexpected ice storm. Captain Nesmith recalled the away team, but the storm made multiple transports inadvisable. "According to standard procedure, Lieutenant Cromwell sent up the members of her team, starting with those of lowest rank. When Lieutenant Cromwell herself was the only crewmember still planetside, conditions had rendered transport impossible. Her last recorded transmission stated that she would take shelter in a nearby cave, and return to the beam-up site when the storm had ended. When she failed to report to the coordinates, an extensive search was instigated, but neither life signs nor remains were located. Until today," he added, looking as pleased with himself as an android could. "If you would care to see a map of the area, I would be glad to provide one." "Thank you, Data," Picard put in too hastily to maintain his calm. "I'm certain we will be drawing on your vast wealth of information later." He sighed, his green eyes darting from Data to Riker and then the gruesome image on the viewscreen, turning at last to Geordi. "Mr. La Forge, what were you able to get from the craft?" Geordi's brow furrowed above his VISOR. "Not much. Ensign Sabu only had a chance to do a preliminary scan of the thing. It's a shuttlepod, just a two-passenger, and it's mostly Romulan." Picard's arched brows shot up in surprise. "Mostly Romulan? Explain." "There were extensive modifications made, but she blew before we could get anything really substantial to go on." Geordi began his explanation by arcing the fingers of one hand over the other, demonstrating the shape of the shuttle's hull, then pushing both hands up and out in separate directions. "I have some people going over the debris, but there really isn't too much to work with. What I am sure of is that the shuttle wasn't started by traditional methods." Picard leaned forward. "Meaning?" Geordi's hands stilled. "Meaning that it was, well, I guess the best term for it is hotwired." Data's head cocked. "Hotwired...as in juryrigged, jump started..." "Thanks, Data," Geordi cut in, ending the android's list of synonyms. Every face around the table registered silent thanks. "Anyway, I'm fairly sure Lieutenant Cromwell wasn't supposed to have access to the shuttle." Worf's gravelly voice protested. "She was able to operate the craft. We have not located any Romulan activity on the surface. Even if there were a Romulan presence, *prisoners*," he stressed the word, "are not generally allowed access to transportation." Riker sat up, attention-straight. What Worf suggested was impossible. Another Klingon would have killed him for it. "Sarah Cromwell would never aid the Romulans. Never," he repeated, the word heavy with certainty. "I trained her myself on her cadet cruise. She'd have let them torture her to death before she told them as much as how to operate a food slot." Riker noticed Deanna looking at him, her eyes nearly black with concern. He looked away. There was uncertainty in Deanna's eyes. "She had to have taken off from the surface, "Geordi said after a moment of uneasy silence. "If there were any Romulan ships in the area, we'd have known about them by now. Even if they were cloaked," he went on, "the cloaks would have had to come down to launch a shuttle." He shook his head, dismissing the possibility. "A planetside launch is the only explanation. Of course, the snow and ice have covered the shuttle by now, and we don't have any idea how far she'd travelled. Just trust me. That shuttle hadn't been off-planet in a long time." "Then where did it come from?" the Klingon demanded. "That," Picard decided, aiming a glance of his own at Riker. "We will have to learn from Lieutenant Cromwell herself. How soon do you think we'll be able to speak with her, Counsellor?" Picard turned to Deanna, who had been unusually quiet throughout the meeting. The Betazoid's eyes were hooded with the tension of the staff. "Lieutenant Cromwell is in a great deal of pain," she began slowly. "Emotionally as well as physically. She is most likely aware that she miscarried, and she is still a little frightened. There may also be some guilt over the miscarriage. She is confused, but that will pass as soon as she accepts her surroundings as reality. Commander Riker's presence should help that. I think he is the best person to ask her any questions." The long diagnosis over, Troi's shoulders drooped. Riker nodded. "Sarah...I mean, Lieutenant Cromwell does recognise me." Deanna's mouth smiled, but her eyes still focused concern on Riker. "She knows she has a friend here, a reason to return to consciousness. I sense no form of Romulan mind control in her. Anything she may say will be her own thoughts. The hardest part of this for her will be adjusting to her new freedom." Riker's shoulders tensed, his posture mirroring the worry in his voice. "New freedom? Does that mean she was held captive all this time?" *No, idiot. She was sunning on the beach until last week.* "You're sure she's escaped this recently; it wasn't earlier?" "I don't think so." Riker didn't miss the glance Deanna cast in Beverly's direction as she answered. Beverly nodded, and tucked a strand of coppery hair behind her ear. "There is one thing I didn't mention. When we were checking on her after the surgery, she tried to talk to us in a mixture of Romulan and Philemite. She only tried Standard when nobody answered her the first time." Worf scowled. "Prisoners have been known to identify with their captors over long periods of time." "Stockholm Syndrome," Deanna said, naming the theory. "It is a possibility in cases like this. When there is more than one captor, the prisoner is given special or softer treatment by a particular person. The prisoner then sees their benefactor as less threatening than the others, and feels more comfortable around them. In time, they may form an allegiance which may then extend to the rest of the captors." Deanna stopped, noting the clenched set of Riker's jaw. "It doesn't always happen," she added hastily, "but in extended captivities, it is possible." Picard considered Deanna's explanation, tenting one hand over his nose and mouth. "Do you believe Lieutenant Cromwell may have become sympathetic to her captors?" He folded his hands in front of him, waiting for answers from his staff at large. "She speaks their language," Worf put in immediately. Beverly lifted a hand in protest. "A mixture of Romulan and Philemite. I'd say it's a dialect of some sort. The Romulans could be working in tandem with the natives." "That does not explain why she was pregnant with a Romulan child," Worf fired back, his lips curling into a near snarl as he voiced the one part of Beverly's report that concerned him the most. "It does if she was raped," Riker returned. "It would fit in with the general torture." He noticed that Worf seemed to be satisfied with that possibility. So was he. "The Sarah Cromwell I know wouldn't willingly mate with a Romulan. From what I've seen of her physical state, I don't think she received any special treatment. I think she fought them all the way to that shuttlepod." "But she did get to it, and was able to operate it without help, despite her injuries," Worf pressed. Across from him, Deanna shifted nervously. She couldn't ignore the anger that Worf's comments brought out in Riker. "Perhaps we should wait until Lieutenant Cromwell can answer that for herself." Deanna's uneasy smile prompted Picard to change the subject. "Whatever the reason for, or means of, her escape, Lieutenant Cromwell is going to have some valuable information for us. While we do have an obligation to protect the miners from any real or perceived threat, we don't want to act rashly. The best thing to do is to continue to investigate the situation. Then, when Lieutenant Cromwell is able to assist us, we can investigate it further." He stood, ending the meeting. "Dismissed." Deanna watched her fellow officers, save one, file out of the room. Will Riker still sat at his place, deep in thought. Both hands were clasped on the table in front of him, his eyes fixed straight ahead, but focused inward. He had no intention of leaving soon. Sliding gracefully into the chair next to his, Deanna placed a hand on his arm. "Do you want to talk?" Riker didn't look at her. "I don't think that's such a good idea." "Because of your feelings for Lieutenant Cromwell?" She could feel his muscles tense, his pulse hammering steadily faster. "I really don't think it's a good idea," he repeated, his voice deliberately dry. "This is no time for psychology...no, I didn't mean...it's just not a good idea," he finished, removing Deanna's hand from his sleeve. Sparing her only a brief glance, he stood and strode from the room with his best military bearing. For at least the hundredth time in the last few hours, Will Riker reminded himself that the person he was going to debrief wasn't just anyone. If it had been any other Starfleet officer, or even any civilian they had found in that crashed shuttle, he would have been able to sit calmly at his desk, assess the situation, and formulate a list of questions, carefully phrased and rephrased, to get the most thorough and accurate information about what they had found on Philemon Three, and what, if anything, the Romulans had to do with it. If it were anyone but Sarah Cromwell, that was. He still felt a rush of relief every time he reminded himself she was there, on the *Enterprise*, and not lost in the frozen desert. Six months earlier, he had tried to contact her on subspace, planning to charm her out of being angry at him for missing her birthday by a week. Even then, he'd known he would deserve any reprimand she'd give him; not only was he a week late, but with no present yet. He'd planned on getting back into her good graces by virtue of a roguish smile and a few jokes. That always worked, if given the opportunity. This time, however, his signal had been rerouted to the *Hoyle*'s counsellor, a middle-aged Bajoran male who informed him that Sarah had been reported missing in action and presumed dead on Philemon Three. Riker had thought of her that way for a long time. He'd sat in the dark of his quarters for hours after switching off the screen, the image of the Bajoran counsellor's face still before him, superimposed over a field of blinding white. He had called up the date of his last contact with Sarah, and cursed himself over how much time he'd allowed to lapse. They'd been good friends, shared some good times. The thought that there wouldn't be any more had worn heavily on him. Now, however, there was a chance. *This is hardly the time to check her out for dating potential,* Beverly had said. The doctor was right, Riker knew, but still... There were images he couldn't get out of his mind, and didn't want to. He had tried to avoid this mission to Philemon Three for that very reason. He hadn't wanted to be there, knowing it was where Sarah had been lost, just like he'd refused to visit the spot where his boyhood friend, Dud, had died in a grav-bike accident, or where his mother had died on her way back from San Francisco. Some places were just closed after a death, or ought to be. He'd tried to console himself, telling himself that someone of Sarah's size couldn't have suffered long in the arctic cold, that she'd have gone quickly before feeling anything. Still, it wasn't the kind of death she deserved. As Worf might have said, there was no honour in that. He didn't want to have to look at every snowflake and wonder if it was falling on top of Sarah. Every time he thought of what might have happened to her, his mind played out simulations of every possible eventuality. Without fail, it was a grisly little show. Riker had actually put in for leave, which had pleased Deanna, although the only reason he'd given her was that he deserved a break. Almighty Starfleet Command, however, had decided that the *Enterprise*'s first officer was absolutely necessary to make sure all the miners were tucked in nice and cozy in their insulated homes. In reality, anyone could do that. Sitting on the bridge, glaring at ensigns and reading requisition forms didn't require much. Still, Riker supposed it was a good thing that he was on the mission after all. With whatever Sarah had been through in the last six months, she wouldn't need some impersonal interrogation. She needed a friend. Sarah had only been twelve years old when he'd first met her, Riker recalled as he rounded the corner, passing right by a ready turbolift without noticing it was there. He probably wouldn't have met her at all if she hadn't been his Academy roommate's kid sister. He hadn't particularly liked Arthur Cromwell all that much at the time, and still didn't now. Even so, Arthur's invitation to spend the winter break with him in England was better than hanging around the dorm. It also beat spending the holiday with his own father. Never having been off-planet before, Riker had found the very British Cromwell household to be the next best thing. For an hour or so, he even thought he'd made a mistake in coming. That lasted until Arthur's mother had insisted that Will meet the rest of the family. Out of Arthur's nine siblings, Sarah was the only one interesting enough to spend time with. It was hard for Riker to believe she was only twelve, since she'd looked sixteen, with her blossoming figure and long-lashed purple eyes. *Pansy eyes,* he remembered calling them once. More than her body, it was Sarah's mind that had thrown him. Already, Sarah had been several levels ahead of where any twelve-year-old should have been. Her project for the holidays was to translate a popular novel from English into Klingon, by way of Vulcan. For fun, Riker recalled. Nobody had assigned her that. Given the choice of spending time with her, or with Arthur, who had a thing about hanging his socks on little hangers, Will had chosen to get to know Sarah. They'd had long talks over that holiday: talks about space and spaceships, and Starfleet in particular. Even then, Sarah had radiated a maturity Riker hadn't seen in many of the girls in his classes at the Academy. It was scary. Even scarier was the fact that he had very nearly forgotten she was only twelve. Riker approached the turbolift, vaguely recalling that he'd gone by another one. Stepping inside, he chided himself before instructing the lift to Sickbay. What did he mean, *very nearly*? He *had* forgotten, enough that on his next trip to Cromwell Manor, he had started to think of her as a young woman. A very, very attractive young woman, he recalled, touching a hand to his mouth, remembering as well the sweetness of the wild tanga fruit on Sarah's lips. He'd never been anybody's first kiss before. Maybe that was why he couldn't remember any of the questions he was supposed to ask her in debriefing. He had decided, by the time he reached Sickbay, that he was just going to talk to her, the way they'd always talked, make sure that she was still there. Deanna was an excellent counsellor, and a fairly reliable empath, but she didn't know Sarah Cromwell. When Riker thought of Sarah being held by the Romulans, he saw past the trained officer, to the twelve-year-old girl whose eyes had glowed at the mention of the word *starship*, and who had listened to his Academy exploits as though he were relating Homeric epics. Then she'd had to go and turn into a woman. He'd felt an attraction right from the start, but she'd been a child. Twelve. They'd communicated a bit during the rest of his time at the Academy, mostly about studies and such, but she had still been too young. At least to Riker. He'd gone on to Betazed, and Deanna Troi, while Sarah had gotten into Academy early, the year after Will graduated. She'd zipped right through everything, it seemed, taking basic courses on examination, and spending her fourth year working on a master's degree. He'd heard about a few social problems, but that was to be expected. Sarah had brushed them off and graduated at the top of her class, as she'd determined to do, and had done it well enough to be assigned to the USS *Hood* for her cadet cruise. Midshipman Sarah Cromwell had been no child. Even though she was only eighteen when she reported for her cruise, when most of her classmates were already in their early twenties, she had learned to compensate for her lack of age and stature with a natural command presence. Captain DeSoto had asked Riker to watch Sarah; give her special attention. See that she didn't get bored and slack off. She was one of the exceptional cadets, DeSoto had said, and Riker agreed, although *he* hadn't been thinking purely about Starfleet. Riker hadn't been thinking about Starfleet then, and he couldn't now. No amount of training could make him forget the individual inside the uniform. He'd get what Starfleet wanted, but he'd take care of Sarah first. He owed her that much. She'd risked her life once, on the *Hood*, to save his sorry behind. It was time to return the favour. Sickbay was surprisingly quiet, he thought, scanning the general area for Beverly, but seeing nobody. After a moment, he spotted a flash of red hair poking out from behind the nurses' station. "Doctor?" Beverly straightened up, a sheepish smile on her face as she held up a diagnostic wand. "Dropped it," she sighed, her eyes closing for only a second as her free hand kneaded at the small of her back. "Just tired, I guess, like everyone else. Eliva's running a few more tests on the lieutenant, but I'll take you in to see her in a minute. It shouldn't be much longer." Riker folded his arms over his chest and scowled. Like Beverly, he was exhausted, but he couldn't rest just yet. "Testing for what?" Beverly yawned behind her hand. "Excuse me. It's routine," she assured him. "Completely routine. We have to play catch-up with her medical history. I feel privileged that we were able to wrest her records from the *Hoyle*'s CMO. It's easier to get Deanna to give up a box of chocolates. Now that we've got the records, I'm finding that Sarah Cromwell is a very interesting patient," she added, letting the observation dangle. The hint of a smile played about Riker's mouth as he took the bait. "How interesting?" "Very interesting," Beverly said, waging her auburn brows mischievously. "There are a few questions the medical records don't cover. Think you could help with some of them?" She waited for Riker's no, a slight inclination of his head. He looked twice as tired as she felt, the dark circles underneath his eyes giving him a slightly raccoon-ish look. "There's a scar on the palm of her left hand, for one," she continued, after deciding it was better not to comment on her observation. "It's pretty old, at least ten years, maybe twelve. She's a good clotter, so I can't be sure. Most people would have had a scar like that removed years ago. I offered, but she wouldn't let me." Riker took in a slow breath, debating saying anything at all. He knew the reason, and it was personal enough for Sarah to decide how much to share. He remembered bandaging her hand with strips of fabric torn from his shirt, soothing her fears... "I'd hazard that it had something to do with one of her brothers. You know kids. I think Wes would like her," he hinted, changing the subject. "It isn't every day he gets the chance to meet another egghead. He could probably get some good ideas from her." Riker's expression grew devious, brows slanting as his mouth widened into a wicked grin. Beverly rewarded him with an exaggerated cringe. "Why do I think I don't want him getting those sorts of ideas? We're still recovering from his so-called improvements to our replicator last week. Nobody likes Tarellian pound cake *that* much." She picked up a padd from the gleaming black surface of the nurses' station desk and handed it to Riker. "Here are Lieutenant Cromwell's charts. They should tell you what we have so far." Riker grunted his thanks as he took the padd, scanning the information for its surface content. Miscarriage? They'd mentioned that, but seeing it on the official chart was still a wrench, causing his gut to tense in anger. "How many months?" "How many months? Oh, the miscarriage." Beverly keyed up the file for him, easily finding the requested information. "Four. The child was conceived during the second month of Lieutenant Cromwell's captivity. I know she looks a little large for a four-month fetus, but the Romulan DNA accounts for that." "Second month. I see." Riker went on to other parts of the report, registering little. His face remained impassive, even though he felt like every drop of blood he had was draining down to the knot in his stomach. *The child was conceived during the second month of...captivity.* He didn't like the implication. Two months was a long time, especially in close quarters. Two months of Romulan torture could wear anyone down. He'd read enough similar reports that the Starfleet training in him couldn't discount the possibility that the child had been conceived through a consensual union, one that the officer in question may even have instigated. The human part of him, the part that knew Sarah Cromwell, protested vehemently. He forced himself to pay attention to the information on the padd, focusing on the light letters displayed on the dark background. "That's a lot of blood you replaced. Are you sure she's up to a debriefing just yet?" *Because I'm not entirely sure I am.* The doctor's slender fingers adjusted the setting on the diagnostic wand before she pointed it at Riker. "Hold still," she instructed, eyes steady on the readout. "I'm just testing the instrument. There's no damage to it," she explained, checking the data it reported. "And you don't have Judreba syndrome." Riker looked at her warily, saving his position on the padd. "I assume that's good." "Very good. If you had what it affects, you'd be one for the medical journals. Believe me, I don't need the extra work today." She cleared the data from the wand, and replaced it on the desk. "There's one more question that needs an immediate answer." Her green eyes twinkled with mischief, despite the dark rings beneath them. "She called you Willie." Riker coughed and returned his attention to the padd. "That's a statement, not a question." Beverly shrugged. "I was just curious. You don't have to explain anything. It's just that I've never heard anybody call you *Willie* before." "Nobody has," Riker answered. "Except for Sarah. She has a little problem with names. There's so much going on inside that head of hers that something has to give. You'll see," he warned, thinking of all the ways Sarah could possibly mangle the doctor's name. "When can I..." His voice trailed off as he noticed the Andorian technician approach Beverly. Eliva's antennae were drooping slightly, the only sign of fatigue she ever allowed herself to expose. "Doctor. Commander Riker. Lieutenant Cromwell isss," she paused, as all Andorians did, in mid- sentence. Riker knew he should be used to it by now, but this time it annoyed him. *Get on with it, Ensign.* "Ready to ssspeak with you, sssir," she finished. The sibilant S, also common to Andorian speech, was slightly less annoying. "Ssshe isss conssssious," pause, "and lucid." Beverly took the tricorder Eliva extended to her, and scanned the readings. "Very good, Eliva. That's excellent progress. How is our patient coming along with the climate?" Eliva's antennae twitched as she phrased her reply. "I am comfortable with thisss," she tugged on the shoulder of her light parka to indicate its warmth. "A longer visssit," this time, her pause was barely noticeable; she'd been working on it. "Might call for sssomething warmer." "That probably means back into the insulation," Beverly clarified, with a slight shiver. "The lieutenant still likes things on the cool side." She turned her attention back to Eliva. The pupils of the Andorian's unblinking black eyes were widening slowly, from narrow slits. "I take it she still prefers it dark?" Seeing Eliva's nod, Riker cut in. "It doesn't matter. There's plenty of time for her to assimilate. All we need to do right now is talk. Besides," he added, forcing a lighter tone into his voice, "she won't be able to see how rotten any of us look." "Don't remind me." Beverly grimaced and tucked a limp lock of hair behind one ear before punching a few buttons on the tricorder and handing it back to Eliva. "All right, then, I suppose we can get you ready." She motioned to a nearby replicator. "You can get a parka, and..." "I'm from Alaska," he reminded her dryly. "I can take a little cold." "Sssir, you may wisssh to take a parka with you," Eliva suggested, her antennae perking as she realised she'd gotten through an entire sentence without a single pause. Beverly didn't wait for Riker's reply, and called up the parka. "Wear this," she commanded, thrusting the bulkily folded garment at him. "If Eliva says it's cold, it's cold. The temperature we had before was a compromise. For where Lieutenant Cromwell has been for the past six months, our standard temperature is pretty warm. You did notice that she was perspiring, didn't you?" Riker nodded, shaking the parka out of its folds. "What's normal for us right now is practically a sauna for her." At Riker's reaction, Beverly grew more serious as she steered him around the nurses' station. "Will, I wouldn't expect her to be exactly as you remember her. She's adjusted to a different way of life, for whatever reason. I'm not saying that Worf was right, but the Sarah Cromwell you knew is going to be..." Riker stopped in mid-motion, his arms halfway into the padded sleeves. "Is going to be what?" "There are just certain things to expect. Nothing to be worried about," Beverly assured him, tugging the parka up to fit across the breadth of Riker's shoulders. "But enough that you should be ready. For one thing, her voice is going to be hoarse. My guess is that she hasn't done much talking in the past few months." Riker's fingers froze in the middle of closing the parka. For some reason he couldn't name, he heard everything Beverly said as if it were for the first time. Maybe it was just because he'd been trying to think of some generic Starfleet officer, the one they'd always trained him to think of back in the Academy. Instead, the reality was that it was Sarah in there, and that fact made it a lot harder to take as just part of the job. Still, he had to try. "Do you mean she's been silent voluntarily, or that she was prevented from speaking?" *Of course it's voluntarily, you idiot. They'd want her to talk.* "Probably voluntarily, but you'll have to ask her." Riker recognised the look in Beverly's eyes - the combination of concern and authority. Like any good doctor, Beverly Crusher knew the importance of giving the right answer: not overly optimistic or pessimistic, but somewhere in the middle. Doubts and hopes, at times, had to be kept quiet, just in case there was enough of a chance for a change in either direction. It was, at time, as much of a performance as anything her theatre troupe put on. Riker wondered how much of Beverly's manner now was an act. "I'll do that," he promised. "Anything else I should know?" Beverly bit down on the inside of her lower lip. Everything about Riker indicated that he wasn't going to treat the next few minutes as a standard debriefing, no matter what he might want her to think. The slight outthrust of bearded jaw, the icy intensity of his eyes,and the attention-perfect posture spoke louder than his words. Oddly, he reminded her of Wesley when he was trying his best not to show he was petrified to the bone. She wanted to hug him, but figured it wouldn't look good on the report that would surely follow such behaviour. In the end, she settled for a friendly pat on the arm and an unconvincing smile. "Just be..." she sighed. The hug didn't really seem all that bad, on second thought. "She'll probably tire easily," she finished lamely. "Ready?" --- Was he? Riker took a deep breath and a final, securing tug upwards on the neck closing of the parka that was beginning to get just a scootch too warm in the climate-controlled Sickbay. "Ready." "Then let's go." Beverly was completely silent as she led Riker through noisy, crowded labs filled with personnel and equipment being readied for Philemon Three. She stopped in front of the door to the isolation lab, balling her hands into fists to prevent herself from throwing her arms around the little boy inside the big man and telling him it would be all right. Wes wouldn't have appreciated it, and Will Riker would like it even less. "We'll be monitoring the lieutenant's condition from out here. If she gets too agitated, I'll have to call a stop to things for a while. Just take it easy, and be realistic in your expectations, okay?" Beverly realised that all of her talking was only making Riker more nervous. His expression was frighteningly close to the same one Wes had before a mid-term exam at school. "Her prognosis is very good," she offered, hoping to restore some balance. Riker's only acknowledgement of Beverly's words was a forced cough and a slight inclination of his head. He'd see what Sarah was like for himself before holding out any kind of prognosis. He took a last moment to compose himself, blinking to shake way the image of a young Midshipman Cromwell at her station on the *Hood*. He realised Beverly was waiting for something, but her concerned expression didn't give him any clues. "Is there something else?" She hesitated, then shook her head and smiled. "No." With a touch of her hand to the access panel, the doors to the isolation lab whisked open, admitting Riker. Beverly remained outside. "I'll leave you two alone. If you need me, just..." She brushed a finger across the surface of her communicator and headed back through the lab. Riker's eyes took a moment to adjust to the near-darkness of the room. He didn't hurry the time it took to distinguish shapes and shadows. Just being in the room this time was harder than the last. This time, Sarah was going to be able to talk, to confirm his worst fears about what she'd been through. She was going to make his nightmares of the past six months come true. *It's not too late to have Data do this,* he thought, immediately calling himself a coward for entertaining the notion. He listened to the silence. He heard nothing, but saw the ethereal white puffs of breath that came from the slight figure propped up against a sizeable pillow. *Maybe she's asleep. We can do this later.* It wasn't such an outlandish idea. He could remember a time on the *Hood*, during Sarah's cadet cruise, when he'd found her nearly asleep at a transporter station. She'd spent hours poring over a theoretical transporter exercise, determined to prove her point. If she could have fallen asleep standing at a transporter station, she certainly could have done the same thing in a bed. "Willie?" *No such luck.* Sarah's voice was only a whisper, Riker noted, and he could hear the hoarseness he'd been warned to expect. He stepped up to the bed, his eyes picking out the light colour of her hair. "Sarah." He didn't want to do this, didn't want to be Commander Riker with her. Couldn't he just be Willie? Nobody else had ever used that particular nickname with him. Not anybody who he hadn't punched for it, really, but it was different coming from Sarah. From her, he wanted to hear it. Wearily, he lowered his frame into the chair that had been provided for him, not bothering to turn it backwards. "Feeling up to talking?" Sarah took her time in answering. When she did, her voice was quivery and faint, as though her tongue were trying out new sounds. "If it's with you." Riker reached out to take the small hand that was much paler than he remembered. The meticulously manicured nails he'd always teased her about were broken and ragged, torn down to the quick. He didn't want to think about how they'd gotten that way. "If you'd rather have some more time to rest, I could come back later." Sarah pulled herself up into a full sitting position. "No. Now. Now," she repeated, her voice stronger as she reminded herself that she was safe. There was nothing to worry about, nothing to fear. The warmth of the hand that grasped hers was strong and welcome and alive. And Willie. "How are you feeling?" *Well, that was intelligent, Riker.* "If you're not up to talking, we can work out some code for yes and no." Her fingers curled tightly around his, broken nails digging into warm flesh. "I can talk. You need to..." she paused, trying to remember the Standard word. "Debrief me." "You sound like an Andorian," he observed with a glimmer of humour. One Andorian in particular came to mind, instantly sobering him. "Which reminds me, I can open up a subspace channel to...what was his name? Drel? Derl?" He shook his head. "Some friend I am; can't even remember your fiance's name. Congratulations, by the way." With his eyes now used to the dark lighting, Riker could see Sarah's lips press into a thin white line, her eyes blinking away a sudden moistness. "He's not..." Sarah choked around the words, running her tongue over dry, cracked lips. "Derl died three months before Philemon Three. We were mates, as in chums, friends," she added, trying to laugh at Riker's assumption. It came out as more of a muffled sob. "At least that's how I saw things. Derl did ask me, but I didn't have time to answer him before the accident. It was a transporter malfunction." "You weren't..." The words leapt to Riker's mouth without thinking. Sarah shook her head. "No, I wasn't at the controls. It was some poor ensign, but I was waiting there to meet Derl. It was supposed to be our secret; his asking, until I'd decided one way or the other. Discretion never was his strong point." Riker squeezed Sarah's hand in both of his. "You know how scuttlebutt is. Anyway, I'm sorry. If I'd known, I'd have..." he let the thought trail off. He had no idea what he would have done, but it would have been something. "Is there anyone else you'd like me to get on subspace?" Her response was quick, her voice brighter. "Mum and Da?" He squeezed her hand again, taking strength from the warmth his touch was giving her. At least he could do that much. "Already working on it. With your family, deciding which is next-of-kin is a mission all in itself. We're a little far from Earth, so it may take a while." Sarah let the new information sink in. The reality of her surroundings hit her anew. She was out of that frozen hellhole, and on board a Galaxy class cruiser. From the looks of things, she was in an..."Isolation lab?" "Just for now," Riker assured her. "You'll be issued temporary quarters as soon as Doctor Crusher gets some test results. We have to figure out where you've been and if you've brought anything with you." Sarah nodded, the thought of the any*body* she'd almost brought tightening her insides with a phantom contraction. Willie was right, though. She was still feeling stiff and sore. Having Willie there made up for some of it. It really was him, and not some Rom psych trick. She had to be sure. There had been too many mirages to take any chances now. Besides, the lights were casting the most intriguing shadows. She reached out a hand to touch the familiar face, registering surprise as her fingertips came in contact with a feature she hadn't encountered before. Her touch was soft, feather-light, her fingers searching the way Geordi had told Riker the blind used to do. God...had it been that long since they'd been together? New Orleans had been right before Farpoint. Farpoint. That was only what? Three years ago? Barely that. It seemed like forever. "There's a lot for you to catch up on, Brit." Sarah was stroking his beard with the backs of her fingers now, more sure. Riker thought he saw her smile. "So, you like that? I see your innate good taste survived intact." She did smile. This really was Willie. "How long was I there?" Her voice sounded stronger now, more steady. She passed a finger over the dark fringe of his mustache, lingering for a second before moving away so he could speak. "Data could probably tell you exactly how many seconds it was since you were reported missing," Riker joked, pausing to let Sarah's finger make it round the curve of his jaw. "But it was roughly six months." "Six months," she whispered, her hand dropping from Riker's beard to rest on her own flat stomach. "If you're trying to find a gentle way to tell me, you don't have to. I already know." "I'm sorry." Riker lowered his face to his hands, needing a moment to gather himself for what had to come next. He could still feel the slight residual warmth of Sarah's hand on his whiskers. It made the words harder to say. As much as he hated to ask, he had to know. "The father?" Sarah's expression immediately hardened, her lips dropping into a cold, forbidding line. "Romulan. Any one of four." Despite the dark, her eyes found Riker's and locked, intensely. "And before you ask, yes, I was forced." The words froze Riker's hands where they were, palm to palm in front of his mouth, looking as though they were clasped in prayer. That might, he thought fleetingly, be a good idea. He bit back a word that Sarah didn't need to hear just then. "Was it only once?" She shook her head, with a short, sad laugh. "It was a part of their routine. It started..." She closed her eyes to concentrate. All the time seemed to blend together into one long nightmare, without specific days or hours. *Think, Cromwell. It had to be before you knew about Stephanie. You knew pregnancy was possible from the first time. When was that?* "About a month into things," she said after a minute. "They thought it would help when the other things didn't work." *Other things. Torture.* Riker's hands, pressed together in silent supplication, also reminded him to keep down the bile he could feel rising from his stomach, hot and acid. "What other things?" "Disruptors, additives in the food." She stopped, a shrug that sent the covers creeping down her torso saying all that needed to be said. "You know the rest. They're Roms." Riker rubbed at his tired eyes and nodded in understanding. Romulan torture was rather consistent. They liked to stay with what worked, which had elevated their torture to the level of a science; or art, depending on who was being asked. "Was it only Romulans? You were wearing native clothing when we found you." "There were some Philemites," Sarah allowed, pulling the blanket back up to her collarbone to calm the shivers. "Only one clan, though. I used to know which clan it was; they said it once. Right now, I can't recall..." She shook her head, as though the motion would knock all the pieces into place. It didn't. "They were Klevv," she finished. Riker vaguely remembered going over the sociology of the natives on Philemon Three, but he clearly remembered that he hadn't given it much attention. He wished he had. There were the Merb, he recalled, who lived in the cities; the Dega, whom he thought of as Amish; and the Klevv, who were nomadic. One clan might have members spread throughout the three groups, whose differences were philosophical, but all adult members could be identified by the clan tattoo, which was a part of their rite of adulthood. "Don't worry," he said, folding his fingers around one of Sarah's hands again. "I know how your brain works. It's in there. Try remembering something else. How about the colour of the markings?" Sarah closed her eyes, seeing again the vivid orange tattoos against albino skin, clashing with the true pink of their eyes. She knew then that she'd remember every second of the past six months, no matter how much time had passed. "Orange. True orange; equal parts yellow and red." "Orange." At least they'd be easy to identify. "You're tired," Riker observed, seeing that Sarah's eyes were still closed. "Get some rest. We can talk more later." She held onto his hand, the amount of pressure she was able to use surprising him. "No. I was just picturing them. The Klevv, I mean. I didn't think to count them; I should have, though. They look alike, for the most part, all those fur hoods and robes. Everything is white on white, except for the tattoos. They're beautiful, really. All graceful swoops and swirls, but arranged in geometric lines. I'd love to draw them." Riker patted her hand. "I'll get you some art supplies as soon as I can. Just let me know what you want." Broken nails dug into Riker's palm, scratching the skin. "Pastels would be best, but later. The place where I was...the Roms have..." *You're just debriefing a fellow officer, Riker.* "Take your time." Sarah thanked God it was Willie she was talking to. She would rest, and soon, but not before telling him about the compound. "They didn't know I speak Romulan, so they were rather free around me. They're building something. With the Klevv. At least that one clan." Riker could feel Sarah's pulse speeding as she talked. "Rest. We'll see what we can do with what you've given us so far. I'll get your pastels. When you've drawn the tattoos, I'll show them to Governor Anderson. Right now, I'd better leave you alone. You don't want Beverly Crusher angry at you, believe me. We'll talk later." He released her hand and stood, but instead of turning and leaving immediately, Riker bent and planted a quick kiss on Sarah's lips. "Get some sleep, Brit. That's an order." Sarah, for once, obeyed without question. He strode out of the isolation lab quickly, pulling off his parka and shoving it unceremoniously into the nearest recycler. He left Sickbay without more than a glance or nod to anyone he encountered on the way. Stepping out into the night-darkened corridor, he stood there outside the doors to Sickbay for what seemed like hours. By rights, he should have been heading for his own bed. His body voted for that, every bone and muscle making its protest known. It would only take a few minutes to transcribe what Sarah had told him, and then he could grab a hot shower and some well-deserved sleep. No, he couldn't. How could he sleep when Sarah Cromwell was in an isolation lab, recovering from Romulan torture? *She* was the one who needed all the comforts of home, not him. Riker shook his head to clear it. Maybe he should pass the rest of the investigation on to Data. Data could be objective about it. Data would be able to conduct a standard debriefing without being distracted by images of what he imagined had happened to her. Data wouldn't be taken on a guided tour of rape and torture, wouldn't feel it along with her, wouldn't' think there was something he might have done to prevent it. Then again, Data wouldn't see anyone but Lieutenant Cromwell in that lab. He wouldn't see Sarah. Riker *did* see Sarah, and he knew that she didn't need a Starfleet officer. She needed Willie. Riker started walking, telling himself it still wasn't a good idea to be going where he was going. Maybe it wasn't a good idea, but it was the only one he had at the moment. If it didn't work out, he could always leave. At worst, he'd be slightly embarrassed. At best, he'd find a way to satisfy personal concern while carrying out a professional debriefing. He walked to the turbolift with purpose, and waited for it impatiently, counting the seconds and rapping his fingertips impatiently against his thigh. When the lift finally arrived, he stepped in, greeting the other occupant, a gold-uniformed Vulcan, politely, but made no further attempts at conversation. The Vulcan got out two decks before Riker did, but Riker didn't notice. When the lift reached his deck, Riker murmured a disinterested "good evening" as he left the empty unit. He was surprised to find the door he sought already open. "Expecting me?" Deanna Troi adjusted the belt on her flowing aqua silk robe. "Come in," she invited, her voice shadowed with concern. "Sit down." Riker noticed that the lighting in Deanna's quarters was at full illumination. It seemed too bright, so he squinted against it. He was grateful when Deanna picked up on the cue and instructed the computer to dim the lights. "I'm not interrupting anything, am I?" Riker asked, looking around the spacious quarters for signs of company. He didn't find any. "Did I wake you?" "No." Deanna moved to the computer console, the crystal-pleated skirts of her robe billowing about her legs with the motion. "I was catching up on some reading,' she explained, the stroke of one finger on the touchpad turning the display from text to the idling UFP symbol. "It is Lieutenant Cromwell, isn't it?" "Yeah." Riker dropped into a chair that was too small to be comfortable. He found himself sitting directly on something small and soft. Extracting it form the base of his spine, he spared only a cursory glance at the Betazoid writing on the small rectangular pillow before letting it drop from his weary fingers to the floor. "You are worried about her." Riker kept his eyes on the pillow. He didn't recognise any of the words. He nudged it to one side with the toe of his boot. "Beverly says her prognosis is very good." Deanna took a seat opposite him, taking care to arrange her robe to cover her legs. "But that's not good enough for you." "No, it isn't." The pillow out of reach, Riker stared past Deanna, at the stars. Deanna pushed a long black curl back over her shoulder. "What are you looking for?" Riker didn't move. "What do you mean, what am I looking for?" "I can feel an intensity in you." "I'm under orders, " he snapped, shifting in the too-small chair, a quarter-turn away from Deanna. "Will, I don't mean to offend you," she began with a sigh. "You came to see me. Why?" He slowly turned and focused on her. Wide onyx eyes looked back at him, not probing as they could, but he suspected they wanted to. That was part of who she was, what she did. Just as he'd had to ask Sarah the tough questions, Deanna had to ask them of him. She was ship's counsellor. She was, before that, he hoped, his friend. "I can't just ask her what happened," he began, fishing the words from the pool of pain and confusion that all his thoughts had become. "How can I ask her to describe the torture? How she was raped? What they did to her to cause her to miscarry?" There weren't any more words, so he merely shook his head, looking at Deanna with mute appeal. Deanna put a comforting hand on Riker's arm. She noticed that he reacted as though her touch brought an electrical shock with it. "You could pass the debriefing on to Data if it troubles you too much." Riker fidgeted, the armrests of the chair cutting into his ribs. "You don't know Sarah Cromwell. She's responding to me, talking to me." "And she will talk to Data, or whoever else questions her." Deanna started to reach out for Riker again, but sensed his opposition. She drew her hand back. "I thought about that," he confessed, casting a glance at the small pillow just out of his reach. There wasn't anything else readily available to fidget with. "But they don't know her. I do, or at least I did." Deanna nodded her understanding. "Before her captivity." Riker looked out at the stars again. "They had her for six months, Deanna. She can barely talk, she can't stand bright light or warm rooms. She's more bruised than not. She seems eager to tell me everything, but I'm not so sure I want to hear it." His shoulders slumped with the weight of his dilemma. "Officially, I have to, but I never expected to have to go through this with..." He spread his hands, at a loss for words. "With a friend?" Deanna ventured. "More than a friend?" He considered for a moment. "With Sarah." *Don't ask me to put a name to it.* Deanna's fingers plucked nervously at the skirt of her robe. It had fallen open to reveal a slender expanse of calf. "Imzadi..." He looked away from her. "Not now, Deanna, okay?" She realised her disarray, and adjusted the fabric. "I was only trying to..." Riker kept his gaze steady on the starfield. "I know. You were only trying to help me, or make me feel more comfortable talking about this. You didn't. I don't need to hear that now, and I don't need a psychologist. At least I think I don't," he added, the hardness of his voice cracking. He didn't have the energy to disguise anything more. "I have to go back in there tomorrow and ask her more questions." He turned in his seat, staring now at a potted plant. It needed water. "She wants to draw the natives she saw." Deanna checked the front wrap of her robe, sensing Riker's discomfort. "And you don't want to see them." "No." She cocked her head, knowing the set of her mouth would inform Riker she was about to play devil's advocate. "Why? I would think that you would want to know as much as possible about Lieutenant Cromwell's experience. The more information you have, the easier it will be to discover what is happening on Philemon Three." She settled back in her own chair, ready to wait however long it took Riker to think of his answer. He sprang from his chair with a suddenness that surprised her and began to pace. "They tortured her. They raped her. She conceived a child and then lost it, maybe in trying to escape. They kept her prisoner for six months, and Philemites helped her do it. You're right. I don't want to see them." Deanna remained where she was, her eyes following Riker's ramrod-straight form as he paced the length of the room with long, angry strides. "You are very angry," she observed. "Angry, and also frightened." He stopped pacing. "Frightened? Of what? Romulans? Philemites? I don't think so." Deanna shook her head, black curls swishing against the aqua silk. "No. Lieutenant Cromwell." Riker's expression mirrored the incredulity in his voice. "What?" "Not afraid *of* her," Deanna clarified. "Afraid *for* her." Riker turned his back to Deanna. "You couldn't be more wrong. Sarah is going to be fine. She's safe." Deanna refused to give up. "That isn't what I'm getting from you. You are afraid that some part of her has been destroyed." He gave no response at all, remaining as still as though he hadn't heard a word she'd said. She knew otherwise. "How do you feel about Sarah's miscarriage?" "This isn't what I came here to talk about." He bit each word out, but wasn't able to keep them free of emotion. "Isn't it?" Deanna rose and padded up behind Riker on silent bare feet. "Will, let me help." Even without touching him, she could feel his stiffness radiating out from him like heat. "You obviously care very much about Lieutenant Cromwell. You feel her pain, or at least you want to. You wish you could take it away from her." This time, he allowed Deanna's hand to remain on his arm. "She shouldn't have to go through it." Deanna winced. Riker was actually grieving for the child. "Lieutenant Cromwell is very special to you." "Old friends." *And if you buy that, I've got some beachfront property on Vulcan you might be interested in.* "She is very strong. To survive six months in Romulan captivity is no small feat. She has decided to survive," Deanna paused, forcing herself past the barrier of Riker's pain. "She is going to need a good friend to help her recover." Riker's response was a short, sarcastic laugh. "By reopening old wounds? I don't think that's going to help much." Deanna gently kneaded at his arm. The tense muscles refused to yield to her ministrations. "Sharing your pain with her could help both of you." He turned to face her, pulling away from her touch. "Share my pain with her?" She's got enough pain already. I think you should have picked up on that." "What I meant was that sometimes helping someone else is the best therapy there is. If I were you, I wouldn't try to pretend this is just another mission. You're a very poor liar, Bill." Deanna's hand flew to her lips when she heard how she'd addressed him. "I'm sorry. I don't know why I called you that. I know you hate it." For the first time since he'd arrived in Deanna's quarters, Riker allowed his mood to soften. "That's all right. You're allowed a few mistakes. Maybe Sarah's contagious." Deanna's eyes widened with alarm. She glanced back at the computer console, displaying its calm blue-on-black symbol. "There was nothing in Beverly's reports about a virus." "No, no virus." Riker allowed himself half a smile. "Sarah has a problem with names. She'll mangle yours soon enough." He punctuated his statement with a wide yawn behind one hand. "Sorry about that," he apologised. "And thanks." "For what?" Riker stifled another yawn, but allowed himself a small stretch. "Good advice. Being a friend." Deanna smiled her acceptance of the compliment. "You're welcome. I can see you're feeling much better, but you looke exhausted, so I'll say goodnight now." "Then I'll leave you to your reading. Good night, Counsellor." "Good night, Commander." Deanna escorted him to the door, then sat at her console and resumed her reading of Lieutenant Sarah Cromwell's service record. --- Just over an hour later, Riker lay down to sleep. He'd updated his log entries and checked on the message he'd sent to Sarah's next-of-kin. Commodore Lady Madeline Cromwell should be receiving the message by the start of her ship's next day cycle. Admiral Lord Edgar Cromwell was listed as deceased. The news hit Riker hard. Riker remembered Admiral Lord Cromwell as more than the exceptional officer whose exploits he had studied at the Academy. Edgar Cromwell had taken time for Arthur's roommate, time to listen and advise, time to find out who his guest was other than the guy who hadn't killed Arthur for his persnickety habits. Best of all, Riker remembered, Edgar Cromwell had allowed the young cadet free run of Cromwell Manor's music room, and had even requested that Riker play for him. Piano as well as trombone. More than any of it, though, Edgar Cromwell had been Sarah's father. Riker knew he had to be the one to tell Sarah. Normally, the ship's counsellor would get that job, but this was far from normal. Besides Sarah's grief, Riker had his own to express. The computer screen offered more information on the Cromwell family, most of it inconsequential. Of one member, Sarah's brother Charlie, there was nothing, which Riker had expected. A free trader, the man was hard to track. He scanned what there was with a modicum of interest. There was good news as well. Sarah had a nephew now, Spencer Edgar Crispin Eugene Cromwell, now two months old. Arthur and Alice's child. Riker found it impossible to picture Arthur and Alice Cromwell as anybody's parents. He offered little Lord Spencer his sincerest condolences. The rest of the brothers had done nothing worth telling Sarah about. Maybe news about Spencer would help ease the grief she'd feel over her father's death. What did the Vulcans say? I grieve with thee? Was that what Deanna had meant? Maybe. Riker punched the pillow and pulled up the covers, flopping over onto his side. His last thought before falling asleep was that he had pulled the forbidden triple shift. It didn't matter. --- Lieutenant Sarah Cromwell woke with a start. Instinct told her to feign sleep, but reason intruded. She was on board the USS *Enterprise*. Willie's ship, and far above the compound. Things couldn't get much safer. Cautiously lowering her legs over the side of the bed, she took a minute to make sure she was steady on her feet. When she was certain she wouldn't crumple, she began to pace off the room, investigating the panels on the walls. Apparently, she was alive. She tried the door. Naturally, it didn't open. "Come now, Cromwell," she chided herself. "What did you expect?" She spun herself about for the sheer joy of freedom. When she stopped spinning, the lab continued to do so, giddily. The ceiling, Sarah soon observed, was rather interesting when viewed from the floor. She winced as she slowly regained her footing, grabbing onto a nearby railing for support. "Best not try that again," she noted aloud. One of the panels nearby had to be alerting the medical staff that she was conscious again. "Must have discovered there's a centimeter of skin they haven't pressurized," she muttered, rubbing a sore spot on her upper left arm. She'd lived through worse than a doctor's visit, but much more attention from those blasted hypos, and she'd likely end up smaller than she already was. "Body can only take so much pressure." She glared at the door, shuddering at the thought of another examination. Her stomach rumbled, reminding her how long it had been since she had last eaten. There had to be a food dispenser somewhere. She'd yet to see a laboratory without one. Medical technicians, she remembered, were a hungry lot. Closely examining the panels one by one, it didn't take long to find the one she wanted. Six months, she decided, when the question of what to select found its way to the front of her mind, was far too long to go without a decent tea. "Prince of Wales tea, please," she told the computer, reminding herself that she'd have to start with small quantities of food, and bland stuff at that. It didn't matter how longingly she'd been dreaming of an especially fiery curry. The fact that she didn't currently have any ulcers made the curry all the more appealing. After settling for a plain buttered scone, Sarah thanked the computer, falling back into her old habit easily. She watched the cup and dish, standard issue never seeming more beautiful, shimmer into place. Her hand instinctively darted out to pick up the cup. She'd barely taken it off the surface of the dispenser when she yelped at the pain from the heat searing against her tender flesh. The cup turned over as it fell, splattering hot tea over the lower walls and floor. A few drops splashed against Sarah's bare legs, but didn't register in her mind. *Should have known that would happen, Cromwell. Try it again, and this time, don't be an idiot.* "Computer, let's try that tea bit once more. Prince of Wales, milk and sugar. Milk first," she specified. No matter what anyone said, Sarah had always been able to tell if the milk or the tea had been poured first, and it *did* matter. "Also, please decrease the container's surface temperature to an unheated state." When the new cup materialised, she tested its temperature with her fingertips first. This one would do. Thanking the computer, she took the cup and waited a few seconds before taking her first sip. She inhaled the scent she'd missed terribly all those months. Even the aroma was perfect - exactly as she remembered it. *...And all the world in a teacup,* she thought, the comfort settling around her as the line from a favourite novel drifted into her mind with the old, familiar fragrance. Closing her eyes for a short moment, she could almost hear the crackling fire in the hearth in her father's ancient study, the voices of her brothers breaking in through strains of Chopin. *Soon enough,* she thought. Lifting the cup to her lips, she sipped gingerly. The tea went down her throat as if it were burning her. It probably was, she thought detachedly, on some low level, but it wasn't anything to worry about. She willed herself to ignore the sensation and focus on the taste. "Back in the land of the living, Cromwell. Best to live in it. You're too big for coddling." *All out of cod,* she could almost hear her mother add. With a fond smile, she took another sip. This one went down a bit easier. Her stomach rumbled again, drawing her eyes back to the scone. Aside from a few drops of the first tea on its surface, the scone was undamaged, so there was no need to replace that. Sarah set the cup down gently, making sure it was fully on a firm surface before taking her hand away from it. She didn't need any more broken cups to step around in her bare feet. Breaking off a piece of scone with her fingers, she forced herself to nibble it slowly, fighting the impulse to consume the entire thing in a few hurried gulps. There was plenty of food, and nothing harmful in any of it. Nobody was going to take it away from her when she didn't do what they wanted. *"Are you hungry, Lieutenant? I do so hate combining meal times with work, but then you know the burdens of command. Our native friends can be terribly generous, can't they? Look at all of this, just for me. The native meat is so rich that I couldn't possibly finish it all by myself. Would you like some? The root vegetables are especially tender today."* Sarah could still see the slow, fluid motion of the bowl the Romulan man had slid across the table to her. The scent of the roasted meat had told her it wasn't dunf, for once. Instead, it was something that might not taste like warmed-over petroleum jelly and sit in her gut like a stone. She remembered how the smell told her it had been carefully prepared, a spice rather like curry used to baste it in some form of butter. Even the memory caused her saliva to flow. She'd sat on her hands to keep from taking that bowl; sat on them until she couldn't feel her fingers anymore. To drown out the detailed description of how the delectable repast had been prepared, she'd run the words to favourite songs through her head. *God Save The King; White Cliffs Of Dover; Even Knees Up, Mother Brown* when her captor had dangled a succulent strip of meat right under her nose, so close that a drop of the tantalising sauce had fallen on her lower lip. She could remember the agonizing second of thinking over whether or not she ought to spit it away. *"You know,"* he'd said, his voice dripping with kindness exactly the way sauce dripped from the meat, carrying one bit of red herb down the long tendril of gravy. *"It really isn't right to keep you so long without a decent meal. Three days is more than enough, don't you think?"* Her eyes had followed that herb in its agonizing slowness, watching it as she felt her stomach rumble, the sound seeming to echo off the walls. She'd known what was next, though. *Give no aid. Give no aid.* They'd sat there until she could no longer see the steam rising from the meat, until the sauce formed a sickly white skin on its top. *'Wasteful human,"* he'd called her. *"If you'd only told me you didn't want it, I could have had it saved for tomorrow. Now it's spoiled."* He'd thrown the bowl in her face after that, striding from the room with such strong steps that even now the sound of his boots hitting the stone and metal floor echoed in Sarah's ears. Hot tears coursed down her cheeks then, as they did now, landing with explosions of vivid salty taste on her deprived tongue. She wiped the back of her hand over her mouth, forcing herself to focus on the computer display that monitored her heartbeat to draw the line between past and present. There would be nothing like that again, she vowed to herself. *Certainly not here.* She could ask the computer for an entire suckling pig if she wanted one, and nobody would make her share it, nor would she end up picking pieces of it out of her hair before the horrid little insects could come sniffing about. Pinching off another bit of scone, Sarah resolved that the next item on her agenda after getting some proper nourishment was finding some decent clothing. The standard-issue hospital gown she was currently wearing wouldn't be entirely suitable for public viewing, no matter how useful it might be in distracting any male security posted outside. She fully intended to see more of Starfleet's flagship than the isolation lab. As far as she could tell, she didn't have anything contagious, and so wouldn't be isolated much longer. With any luck, she'd be out and about soon. It couldn't, in her estimation, be soon enough. Comfortable now with the cup in her hands, Sarah picked up the plate and settled into the lone chair in the room as easily as though it were her duty station. She thought about getting back up to ask the computer for some orange marmalade or lime curd for her scone, as she would normally do, but the current circumstances were far from normal. Whatever circumstances might be, her choice of condiment was extremely low on the list of priorities. Briefing herself was much, much higher. Knowledge of her exact medical status, gathered in a rational manner rather than a desperate hodgepodge would be helpful, for a start. Looking down at the hands that were wrapped around the shiny black teacup, she could see by the long, tapered fingers that they were hers, but she stared at the pinkish patches of healing burns as though they belonged to somebody else. *Bloody marvellous, this modern medicine.* She raised the cup in a silent toast to the surgical team. She offered another one to the away team that had found her, and, concentrating on the emptiness she could feel inside, one for the child she'd never know. "Sorry we couldn't get to you, too, sweetheart. Here's to you, lovedy." Sarah finished the tea and scone in silence, her eyes surveying the lighted panels with their flickering data. She wasn't doing anybody any good by sitting in an isolation lab. There was no use in wasting time. God knew the Romulans didn't. "Lost time is never found again," she voiced her mother's oft-quoted proverb as she placed the plate and cup in the recycler. There would be time for ruminating later. For now, she was assigning herself a new duty. "Computer, please increase room temperature by twenty degrees Celsius." The computer complied immediately, and Sarah found herself strongly identifying with the roast suckling pig she'd thought of earlier. "Too much, I'm afraid. Let's try decreasing that by five, please." That was more than enough adjustment, but she pressed on. "Thank you, that's very good. Now, please increase lighting by one-third." She squinted against the brightness. It hurt to see that much light. "It's a start, Cromwell. Get used to it. Find something to pass the time until that doctor returns." She drummed her fingertips together. "Ah. Computer, could you please tell me the current assignment of the USS *Hoyle*?" "The USS *Hoyle* is currently assigned to deep space exploration." So what else was new? "And who is in command of the *Hoyle*, please?" "Captain Graham Nesmith." Sarah grimaced, her thanks to the computer this time sounding decidedly flat. Graham Nesmith wasn't the easiest captain to serve under. Not only was Nesmith condescending, overbearing, and treated her like a child half of the time, but he bore a distinct resemblance to a weasel. An especially unattractive, underweight weasel, for that matter. Even so, he did have a brilliant tactical mind, which was one of the reasons Sarah had accepted the posting to his ship in the first place, and certainly the reason she'd stayed. She resigned herself to the fact that she'd have to speak with him soon. *As if being held prisoner by the bloody Romulans wasn't enough...* --- "Riker out." Will Riker watched the image of the weaselly-looking man who had just given him a monstrous headache fade from his viewscreen. Any other Starfleet captain, Picard, for example, would have been pleased upon hearing that a missing crewmember had been found alive and relatively well. Not Captain Lord Graham Nesmith. No, this guy kept interrupting Riker to receive periodic reports from his science officer that nothing out of the ordinary was happening. Of course, he would speak with Lieutenant Cromwell at his earliest convenience. *Yeah, right.* Exasperated with the man, Riker raked a hand through his hair. Had Nesmith even noticed that Sarah had been missing? A little more concern would have been nice. So would a long shore leave on Risa, but he wasn't going to get that any time soon, either. He pushed the small viewscreen so that it faced away from him, and picked up the padd he'd been studying earlier. Despite his weary prayer, the notes he'd taken on his conference with Governor Anderson were no more coherent than they'd been the last time he looked at them. His hand went through his hair and over his beard again as he decided that his first year Academy astrophysics notes made more sense than these did. They'd probably be just as helpful, too. The Klevv were a problem, all right. The list of complaints the Federation miners had logged against them scrolled on and on in an endless flow of the same old thing. Vandalism, petty and not so petty thievery, and periodic raids on the mining settlements were the most common. They seemed to like making off with pieces of the mining equipment the best, which made Riker wonder what they did with it all, since nomads wouldn't have much use for machinery. Another popular diversion was setting loose the local all-purpose animal, which the miners used as beasts of burden. What did they call them again? Dunfs. Stupid name for an animal, especially one so popular. Dunfs were essentially larger-than-average wolves with double rows of fangs. The animals were used by the Klevv for just about everything from transportation - both riding and pulling sleds - to food. Riker turned the viewscreen back around and requested a visual of an adult dunf. Now, *those* things could pull a dogsled. They'd probably love Alaska, he thought, trying to picture one of the furry monsters curled up on a plaid cushion in front of the fireplace at his family's cabin. Dunfs were a large part of the problem on Philemon Three. Before Federation contact, approximately eighty years ago, dunfs roamed the planet in large packs, with only a few taken from their number each year for domestication by the city-dwelling Merb. The Dega had taken enough for their own purposes when they had first split off into their own culture, and had used that number to breed a private stock. Naturally, the Klevv didn't like that. The Klevv didn't seem to like much of anything that didn't conform to their particular philosophy. According to Governor Anderson, every pair of dunfs either of the other two groups owned meant lots of little dunfs the Klevv couldn't have. The Merb's dunfs now enjoyed the status of pampered pets and would stand about as much chance in the wild as a Pomeranian. With the Dega, dunfs were used as farm animals, and, while not exactly pampered, were highly valued. The Dega even made a distinction between dunfs used for work, and those raised for their meat and fur. Taking a moment to call up the time, Riker chastised himself for requesting that Data supply him with a thorough report on Philemon Three's current socio-political status. He should have learned by now that Data's thorough could be excruciatingly boring. "How many more files are there?" The computer, unable to deal with the concept of rhetorical questions, told him. Riker groaned. There was a reason why he was slogging through all of this, but he'd forgotten it hours ago. It was time for a break. He tapped his communicator. "Riker to Sickbay." "Sickbay. Crusher here. What can I do for you?" Riker took another look at the dunf display, and grumbled his irritation. "How about a two-week rest leave?" "Only if I can have one of my own," Beverly's voice replied. "Would you prefer to start your leave before or after you escort Lieutenant Cromwell to her quarters?" Riker straightened up from his slouch, his frustration fading. "Are you discharging the patient?" There was a half-second pause before Beverly answered. "Something like that. She's making a speedy recovery." "Exactly what I was hoping to hear." Riker reached across the desk to turn off the viewscreen. The dunfs could wait. "On my way," he informed Beverly, the grin that began to shape his mouth showing up in his voice. "Riker out." He fairly sprinted out of the room, slowing to a trot as he reached the corridor. In all honesty, no matter how pleased he was with Sarah's recovery, he would have likely welcomed a visit from Q with the same enthusiasm. There was only so much research one man could do. Riker felt absolutely no guilt at all in pretending not to hear the quartermaster calling to him as he passed her in the corridor. He knew it was going to be about the Emerson quarters again. Let Picard sign the permit for another room change. Either that, or transfer Lieutenant Emerson and his expanding family to another ship. He didn't care which. It occurred to him that if Sarah were released from Sickbay, she would be up to a more detailed debriefing. Knowing her, she'd retained as much as was humanly possible. Maybe even a bit more. They'd need it. Rounding a corner, Riker narrowly missed colliding with a giggling ensign and her civilian companion. The couple's merriment reminded him of the hint of suppressed laughter in Beverly's voice. Most likely, Sarah had made some remark at his expense. For now, he'd take it as a good sign. As soon as this mess was figured out, he'd see that she got as good as she'd given. As he reached Sickbay, he pulled himself into his best professional Starfleet officer persona, which vanished the second he got past the nurse's station. He'd been heading to the isolation lab, out of habit, but...he blinked. She was still there. Lieutenant Sarah Cromwell, in full duty uniform, was perched on the desk, regaling a small circle of medical personnel with an anecdote that she cut off in mid-sentence the moment she saw him. Hopping down off the desk, she snapped to perfect attention. "Lieutenant Sarah Cromwell reporting for duty, sir." The effect was spoiled by the mischievous glint in her violet eyes. Riker made a mental note to find out what she'd been telling them, how much of it, and who else she'd told. He had the distinct impression that several pairs of eyes were glued to his boots. "At ease, Lieutenant. I see you're feeling better." "To put it mildly," Beverly agreed, controlled mirth evident in the tilt of her lips. "This young lady has been rather busy for the past few hours." Riker folded his arms in front of him, hoping it was only his boots the ladies were looking at. "Busy?" "When I went in to run some final tests on our critical patient," Beverly delivered the last two words with a heavy dose of sarcasm, inclining her head toward Sarah, "I found her reviewing our current mission status on the computer, with the room almost at full illumination, and much too warm for someone in arctic gear. She was also having tea." Riker looked to Sarah, the smug expression on her delicate features telling him the doctor hadn't exaggerated. "Tea." Sarah returned the look, her eyes dancing. "It's thirsty work, sir. I can give you a bit more information at your earliest convenience." She reminded Riker of Tasha Yar, the way she stood there so straight and eager. He thought that it might have been Tasha's job to debrief Sarah, if this had happened just a year or so earlier, when Tasha was still alive. He would have trusted her. As it was now, there was just him. "It's convenient now. If you're done with her for the moment, Doctor?" At Beverly's nod, Riker gestured to the door. "After you, Lieutenant." To a casual observer, and that would include the group clustered around the nurses' station, Sarah's walk seemed deliberately provocative as she preceded Riker out of Sickbay. Riker knew better. That was just the way Sarah walked. He thanked God that Standard Duty Option Two had been phased out. She'd probably told everyone in Sickbay about the time on the *Hood* when he'd had to request that she stick to SD1. Sarah was no respecter of persons when it came to embarrassing incidents. It was one of the things he liked about her the most. "It was the dance lesson." Sarah's words cut into his thoughts. "Dance lesson?" Sarah nodded. "That's what I was talking about when you came into Sickbay." So they *had* been staring at his boots. "That was uncalled for." Although Riker said it with mock severity, he remembered the lesson fondly. So, he gauged from Sarah's cat-with-the-canary smile, did she. "As I recall, Commander, you taught me well enough that the Ralnan ambassador offered to buy me." "As I recall, Lieutenant, you broke two of my toes in the process." He didn't add that he'd always thought the small injury was well worth it. "And you don't know how close I came to taking him up on his offer," he finished, picking up his pace. She fell into step beside him easily, despite the difference in their strides. "You never did tell me the 'official' cause of your injury." Riker recalled his excuse with a chuckle he didn't try to disguise. "Almost the truth. I told them I was supervising you in a training exercise." "Did they ask what you were training me to do?" "*Not* to injure your commanding officer," Riker answered with a rueful laugh. Masculine pride didn't easily want to admit that someone of Sarah's size could actually have done such damage. "Did they leave it at that?" Riker shook his head, not wanting to discuss the matter further. "No." They stopped in front of a numbered door, with Sarah's name and rank printed on the nameplate, under the words *guest quarters*. "If you'll place your hand on the panel..." Sarah did so, relishing the familiar cool smoothness beneath her palm. The door slid open, revealing standard quarters. She stepped in, feeling a sense of home envelop her. This was much better than the lab. *Thank God for the uniformity of Starfleet.* Riker cleared his throat. "Your climate controls are over here. The food dispenser is on that wall. It operates by..." Sarah's voice held more than a hint of amusement as she interrupted him with a gentle touch on his arm. "Excuse my impertinence, but I have seen similar quarters before, Commander." It was only then that Riker realised he'd been showing her around as he would a visitor. "Of course. The *Hoyle* is Galaxy class. This is probably just like your quarters there." He punctuated his apology with a self-deprecating grin. "I do have a name, you know." "I know." She paused. "Willie." After a silent second had passed between them, Sarah popped in and out of the washroom and closet, the bedroom and the small work corner with its computer console, reacquainting herself with the rooms and their furnishings. She didn't feel all that different from the day she had first set foot in her quarters on the *Hoyle*, except for the fact that Willie's company was far preferable to that of the Alpha Centauran quartermaster, who had insisted on addressing her as 'Crowell.' "You can call up whatever personal touches you'd like from ship's stores," Riker explained needlessly, feeling that he should say something. He was going to have to tell her sooner or later. "I know you hate bare walls." "I think the ferret cage went about here," Sarah thought aloud, passing a hand over the smooth surface of an empty table near the entrance. "Monty is what really makes it feel like home. Do you know what's happened to him?" *Okay, Riker, it's going to be sooner. Try not to lose it.* "He's fine. I'm sure Admiral Clairmont has forgiven you for naming your ferret after her by now." "Actually, she didn't mind that much," Sarah demurred. "It's going to be good to see Monty again. I've missed him. He always makes me laugh, especially the way he begs for those pellets I got from that shop in New Orleans. Do you remember the one? It had that horrible band playing outside, the one with the Tellerite trying to play saxophone? I might try going back and see if he got any better after that lesson you gave him. Anything, in his case, would be an improvement, so I'd really like to see. There'll be time for it, I'm sure," she supposed, her voice glum as she tested the texture of the upholstery on a low couch. "I know I'm going to be given a nice long leave to recover, whether I like it or not. I won't, so I could use Monty's company to make it bearable. Do you know who's got him? I hope it's not Arthur. Monty can't seem to tell the difference between Arthur's finger and a carrot. Did I ever tell you that? No," she considered, "I don't think I did." Her light mood cracked with that observation. She turned to face Riker, her eyes pinning his. "I wasn't able to access my family record. Why?" Riker took Sarah gently by the shoulders. "Brit, sit down. I have to tell you something." He could tell by the way she was physically bracing herself, her muscles growing taut beneath his hands, that she knew something both important and unpleasant was coming. "Who is it, Willie?" She was still standing. "Brit..." "Willie, I know you don't like having to tell me whatever it is, but believe me, you're the one I want to hear it from. Please don't sugar coat it. I don't know if I could forgive you for that." *Don't cry, Brit,* he begged her silently, although he could see her eyes moistening, resembling the pansies he'd likened them to all those years ago the last time he held her this way. "Your father." Riker felt Sarah's slight weight go limp against his chest as her arms wrapped around him, her knees buckling. Holding her close, he settled them both on the couch. He should have waited for a better time, should have prepared her better, more gently. He'd known that Sarah and her father had been close -- had been friends as well as parent and child. Seeing that had almost made him jealous of the relationship. For all Edgar Cromwell's fairness, Riker knew that the admiral had a special soft spot for his only daughter. Riker kissed the top of Sarah's head, the soft,clean scent of her hair making him angrier than ever at the Romulans. Sarah, he knew, would have given anything to have been able to say goodbye to her father. If it hadn't been for the Romulans, she would have. Sarah clung to him, quiet tears flowing freely down her face. She'd been told from earliest childhood that either one of her parents could... She wasn't able to complete the thought. It wasn't fair. She'd never thought of six months as a long time before, but now she knew differently. Six months could be a lifetime. Or the end of one. "How?" Riker had never thought that his heart could break by hearing a single word. He pressed his face into the softness of Sarah's hair, dimly registering that it was damp where he touched it, and tasted of salt. *Damn thieving Romulans...* "I want to know how," Sarah insisted, her words clear and resolute, although Riker could still feel her shaking against him. He had the words ready to tell her when the hiss of the opening door pulled his attention to it. Deanna Troi stood in the doorway, her hair and dress settling from her run down the corridors. Her face bore a pained look, brows knit together in concerned confusion as she looked from Sarah to Riker. Deanna had expected Sarah's upset, had felt drawn to the room because of it. She had felt Riker's concern as well, but not the intensity that she now saw. As close as they had been, she had never seen him cry before. Pulling herself back together, she started walking slowly toward the couch, centering herself on Sarah, who still hadn't acknowledged the counsellor's presence. "I understand you've had some bad news." "You are dismissed, Counsellor." Riker's words hit Deanna like a slap. The icy blue of his eyes stood out against the redness that surrounded the irises. It was the emotions that startled her. His voice had been raw and ragged, his eyes, holding distinct anger, some of it directed at her. She didn't know what to do with that. "We can talk," she continued, now sitting next to Sarah. "I understand what you're feeling." Riker drew Sarah closer to him, widening the space between her and Deanna by scant, but important millimeters. "No, Counsellor, you don't understand what she's feeling. She doesn't need to talk to you." *You should have called me before you told her,* Deanna thought to Riker. *You knew that. I could have made it easier for her.* "Sarah? May I call you Sarah?" She lay a hand on Sarah's shoulder, just beneath Riker's sleeve. Sarah's body shook with quiet sobs, waves of guilt and pain washing over confusion. Sarah's muscles were tense beneath Deanna's touch, and she could feel the Englishwoman flinch away from her, burying her face into Riker's chest. "I said you are dismissed, Counsellor." Riker glared at Deanna over Sarah's head, his voice and gaze as cold as the arctic planet below them. "I'm willing to pretend you didn't hear me the first time. You have been given a direct order, and I expect you to obey it." By now, Deanna wasn't hearing him at all, the undiluted, overpowering emotions overriding any words he could say. There were too many intense feelings all hurtling themselves at her; grief, sorrow, anger, and a strong sense of protective instinct combining to make Deanna feel as though she were receiving an empathic beating. "Later," she whispered, rising on shaking legs to dart from the room in search of some peace. With Deanna gone, Riker held Sarah even closer, the tight embrace serving to lock her into as much safety as he could provide. "I'm sorry, Brit," he breathed into the damp softness of her hair. "I'm sorry. That won't happen again. It's all right." He rocked her gently in his arms, making soft, calming sounds to soothe her. *God, she's small...* After long moments, Sarah's shaking stilled, and she looked up at Riker, her eyes clearing. "How did it happen?" Riker took a deep breath to calm himself before answering. He hadn't counted on being this deeply affected, either by Edgar Cromwell's death, or by seeing Sarah again. "He... he just... natural causes," he told her, his hand gently stroking the coils of her hair, clumsily trying to replace dislodged hairpins. "Natural causes," Sarah repeated, allowing the fact to register in her mind. "Had he been ill?" Riker opened his mouth to answer her, but found it too hard to make the words come. He hadn't wanted to look into all the details of Edgar Cromwell's death; for him, the fact of it had been enough. Still, for Sarah, he'd read the file, not wanting anyone else to have to tell her of the alien virus. "He... he just..." *Here I go again. I can't even pronounce the thing. Nobody saw it coming until it was too late. I'm sorry.* He stroked Sarah's hair as he worked his thoughts into clumsy words. "I don't think he was in any pain." "It was sudden, then?" She could remember too well the last time she'd seen her father, still hear his off-key rendition of "Happy Birthday," with highly original lyrics. That had only been two days before Philemon Three. "It was while I was gone, then?" "Yes." Riker raised a finger to Sarah's face, wiping away a tear that was winding its way down her cheek. "There's a message from him when you're ready for it. He left it after you were reported MIA." All Sarah could do was nod her thanks. She had often told herself that her parents wouldn't have given up on her, even entertained fantasies that they'd find her somehow. Having proof that they'd had such faith in her made the pain a little easier to take. If all was right with the world, there was one of Da's wonderful, stupid songs somewhere in the message, no matter who might have been around when he recorded it. "Is there anything else?" "There is," he told her, "but I promise it's good, Aunt Sarah." She blinked, not quite understanding. "Aunt?" "Some poor, innocent child had Arthur and Alice for parents. I was thinking of sending some tiny sock hangers, but I figured Arthur would have started on that already." "It's a boy, then? I'd forgotten all about Arthur and Alice. I suppose Arthur should have liked that," she added, more to herself than to Riker. He heard it anyway, and it still made the same old nerve tighten inside him. In an instant, his hand and hers had reversed positions, the tightness of his grip echoing the earnestness of his words. "Don't say that. It was garbage then, and it's garbage now. You don't need that. What you need is a good briefing on your first nephew." Riker released Sarah's hand, sat back just far enough to straighten his shoulders. "Spencer Edgar Crispin Eugene Cromwell turned two months old three days ago. I'm sure you'll be seeing him soon. Let's hope he looks like Alice. It'll make life a lot easier for the poor little guy." Sarah had to smile at that. "Nobody consulted me, but I'd rather he resemble Da. Did my father get to see him?" Riker swallowed. "He did. Seeing his first grandson had been one of the last things Edgar Cromwell had done, but Sarah didn't need to know that at the moment. "Your mother knows you're all right," he assured her. "I sent a personal message, and she should be contacting the *Enterprise* any time now. She's at home," he added, seeing the unasked question in Sarah's eyes. "A lot of the family is there, or on their way, so you can count on being one popular lady." The ghost of a smile settled on Sarah's lips as she disengaged herself from Riker's arms, not a bit embarrassed by the display of emotion she'd just shared with him. She never would have allowed her composure to slip so with anyone else, but the wet redness around her eyes reminded her that this was Willie. There could be no secrets from him. If there were, then there would be something impossibly wrong with the universe. She took a moment to pat a hand over her hair, imagining the damage the last few minutes had done to it, then dashed the back of one sleeve across her eyes to banish the last of the tears. When she was done, there was no sign that she'd just been grieving. "I'd like to see Da's message now." For some reason, Riker wasn't encouraged by how easily Sarah's poise had returned. "Take some time to rest. You've had a lot to take in. Nobody expects you to be at your best right now. You probably want to sleep for a few weeks. It wouldn't be a bad idea." Sarah shook her head, tucking a fallen strand of hair back behind her ear. "Willie, please. I know what I can handle. I'm not a child that needs cosseting. My nephew might be two months old, but I'm not. This is the first time in six bloody months that I get to do what I want to do, and I want to see my father's message." She drew herself up straight where she sat, then rose from the couch the way Riker remembered her rising from her conn station on the *Hood*'s bridge. She hesitated for a moment, then pleaded with a heavy whisper, "Willie, I've been halfway through hell, and I want my Da." Riker couldn't argue with that. "All right. Do you want me to leave you alone to view it?" Sarah reached a hand down to grasp Riker's as he stood. "No." He went with her to the console, standing back far enough to give her a bit of privacy. "Do you need any help setting things up?" "Thank you, no. Computer, please display communique from Edgar Cromwell." Instantly, the screen filled up with her father's image. As always, his black-and-red admiral's uniform fit too loose over the shoulders and too tight in the midsection. His full head of thick white hair needed combing, and his violet eyes, the same colour as Sarah's own, looked directly into her instead of the holocam he'd been addressing. She'd only registered a few words of his message. He'd called her his Sarahpuss, as he always had. He knew she was alive, and he was proud of her. He loved her. He'd see her soon. He sang a few bars of "The White Cliffs Of Dover," off-key and off-beat. Anything else, she would listen to later. "Computer, please save this message as Cromwell One." She waited for the computer's voice to announce its compliance. "Thank you." Riker was about to ask if Sarah's thanks was for him or the computer when his communicator chirped. "Worf to Commander Riker." With a growl that would have made the Klingon proud, Riker slapped the badge in answer. "Riker here." "Governor Anderson wishes to speak with you. He is quite..." there was a pause as Worf searched for the right word. "Insistent." "Understood. I'm on my way. Riker out." *Could Anderson possibly have picked a worse time to insist on a conference?* He put a hand on Sarah's shoulder, giving it an apologetic squeeze. "I'm sorry, Brit. Duty calls." "Can it wait a bit? Only five minutes or so?" She nibbled at her lower lip. "I wish it could. I'll be back as soon as I can." "That's not it," she insisted, her voice solidifying. "I can give you the pictures of the native I saw." Riker exhaled, a long, slow breath. "All right." --- "They've done it again, I'm afraid," Anderson announced after a perfunctory greeting. Riker didn't have to ask who *they* were. "The Klevv." Anderson nodded, the first sign of life Riker had noticed in the man. "Who else?" "Of course," Riker said, more out of politeness than understanding. "What was the problem this time?" *As if I have to ask...* Anderson's fatigue and frustration were evident in his expression, eyes and mouth drooping like a Basset hound's. The hood of his parka, which Riker now recognised as being made of dunf fur, was encrusted with ice and snow. "They switched crystals in the main generator with spent ones. It's more of a nuisance than anything else, but it's going to take a while to get the thing running again." Out of range of the viewscreen, Riker drummed his fingers impatiently against the desktop. "I take it none of the essential systems have been damaged." Anderson answered immediately with a curt nod. "I can send down an engineering team to help you repair the generator." Anderson nodded again, this time more vigorously, send a chunk of snow flying off his hood's trim. "Thank you. Thank you. We do appreciate that, but there's more." Riker closed his eyes and silently counted to ten, so Anderson wouldn't get the impression that the *Enterprise*'s first officer would dearly love to strangle him. The next option was to inform the man that there were other officers on the ship. Picard could handle this, or maybe Data. Besides, engineering matters were Geordi's problem. "Do you require additional security personnel?" Riker asked, marshalling his dwindling reserve of tact. Anderson had pulled him away from Sarah for this? "That would be most appreciated, Commander." Anderson's image wavered and nearly disappeared before returning to full, if somewhat fuzzy, power. "Auxiliary generator," he explained, an annoying tone of petty pride accompanying the words. "There's not going to be any problem setting the main one up again, especially with your help, but..." The shrug Anderson gave as his voice trailed off didn't exactly fill Riker with confidence. "Did I hear you say you suspect Romulan involvement?" Riker's fingers stopped drumming and clenched into a fist. "You did and we do. What do you know about it?" Anderson's shoulders tensed, making Riker wonder if there wasn't a difference between what the man knew and what he was telling. "Apparently, our saboteurs were injured in their exploit. There were traces of blood found on the ground near the generator. Philemite, of course, and also," he paused, a heavy sigh signalling that he hated the fact, "Romulan. We can't make any further investigation due to the ice storm, but when it passes, any assistance you can give would be appreciated." *Romulan blood.* Riker thought that if he were a dog, his ears would have pricked up. Luckily, he was able to restrain his physical reaction to a slight straightening of his spine as he leaned in closer to the screen. "You're certain." It was a statement, not a question. Anderson nodded once. "I've had our medical staff go over it thoroughly. I just don't know what Romulans could be doing here, or how they could even stand the climate. That's why we rely so heavily on the native workers; they're the only ones who are really comfortable here." Riker reached for the package he'd kept just far enough away that it was out of Anderson's sight. "Governor," he began, with deceptive smoothness, "I have something to show you." He inserted the small chip Sarah had given him into the slot next to the screen. "Our Lieutenant Cromwell says she only saw one clan of Philemites during her captivity. Is this tattoo familiar?" Anderson put a hand to his forehead, his fingers moving as if he were trying to manipulate the proper brain cells into position. "Cromwell. That's her name, isn't it? I was going to ask you how she was doing. She'll be all right, I hope." *No thanks to you.* "She's recovered enough to duplicate the clan markings she saw. Are they familiar to you?" Anderson squinted at the representation that now filled his screen. "I'll have to study it further. Clan markings are very intricate, you know. Each mark has its own meaning. An individual's pedigree can be read right there on his face. Or her face," he added, with a self-deprecating laugh. It sounded forced. "We have some workers from most of the clans," he allowed, "but they're all Dega." "Do any of them bear this tattoo?" There was a long moment of silence as Anderson squinted at the image. "Yes." --- Walking briskly down the day-bright corridor, Sarah again thanked God for the blessed uniformity of Starfleet. There wasn't that much difference between the *Hoyle* and the *Enterprise.* Whether the fact that she had the run of the ship was accidental or intentional, she didn't care. She was going to explore every delightful centimeter she could before anyone else got any ideas. Being on a ship with a complement of over one thousand did have its advantages. Nobody questioned anybody in a uniform, especially when that uniform was command red. She relished the anonymity. She slowed her pace when she reached her destination: ship's lounge. Ten-Forward, she'd heard it called. She doubted if the *Hoyle's* Captain Nesmith had come up with a name for their lounge in the past six months. In the time she'd served with him, she'd doubted if he even knew the place existed. He'd certainly never been there. Stepping inside, she looked about at the soothing blue-grey walls and the small groups of crew and civilians seated at tables of various sizes. Taking her time, she made her way to a table next to a particularly panoramic view of the stars. It was almost like home, but not quite. There was no sense in trying to pretend that it was. She wasn't going to waste her time trying to imagine Derl seated across the 3-D chess board from her. He wouldn't be bringing her the latest obscure alien drink he'd just discovered, either, or ever deliver the punch line to the joke about the Horta and the parakeet. Derl was gone. To be honest, there would be several old friends gone and new faces in their steads, were she back on the *Hoyle.* She let her fingertips trail over the mirror-like surface of the table as she circled it before sitting down. For all she knew, this *could* be the *Hoyle's* lounge. Whatever her next assignment would be, odds were that she'd have to start all over with names, faces and pecking orders. More short jokes from the humans, more battles proving she wasn't too young for her rank... nothing to look forward to. *Survived the bloody Roms, did you, Sarah? Good show. Have a biscuit. Excellent trick, that was. Now that we know you can do that, back to the old tricks. You don't mind starting all over again, do you? Of course not. You've jumped through all the hoops so far; Only this time, we're setting it afire for you...* She slumped in the chair, exhaling a long breath, closing her eyes in exhaustion at the thought of doing it all bloody over again. It was going to be a particularly fiery hoop, indeed. Wherever Starfleet decided to send her, it would be after a mandatory rest leave, which would most likely be on Earth. Ostensibly, the leave would be for her comfort and psychological readjustment, if such a thing were possible. A cynical laugh escaped Sarah's lips. What re-adjustment? She didn't need one. She was fine, she was alive, and according to almighty Starfleet itself, well enough to work on the *Enterprise's* current mission. Granted, it was unofficial, but it still counted. An immediate return to duty on a regular basis, though? Oh, no. That was out of the question, no matter how much she wanted or needed it. No, there had to be some time in which she had to devote herself to the impossible task of pretending that the last six months had never happened. *God forbid I'm not a well-a-bloody-justed...* Sarah stared out at the stars, hoping to find some encouragement there. She'd never had much patience with the powers that be, and now she had even less. It was like being five years old again, and just because she could paint better than most adults, that meant other people could decide her life for her. All she was missing was her plush Paddington bear for company. She could use one. Just like then, she was only waiting for the time they'd send the obligatory counsellor to help her sort out the ordeal. The grief, as well, she added to her thought. No doubt the counsellor would find a treasure trove of probing in the matter of the child. If it ever occurred to anyone to ask what *she* wanted, she'd tell them not to bother. Life went on. It had been doing so for the entire human race since the beginning of time, and it wouldn't come to a crashing halt now. God knew, she'd gotten through the past six months well enough; she should do the same for the foreseeable future. Try explaining that to almighty Starfleet Command. Wouldn't do, no, it wouldn't do at all. "Hello." Sarah turned around. "Are you supposed to be here?" The woman looked at Sarah with calm, dark eyes, her hands folded in front of her. "Are *you*?" Sarah's voice prickled. The woman remained standing where she was, her expression pleasant beneath one of the largest hats Sarah had ever seen. It would fit in perfectly at Ascot. "I suppose *you* might call me the barkeep, but I prefer Guinan. That's my name. Yours would be Lieutenant Cromwell, unless I miss my guess. I don't often miss my guesses." Sarah seldom trusted women, and smiling women were even worse. "How did you know?" Guinan shrugged. "I know just about everybody on board, and I haven't seen you in here before. Besides, you match the descriptions. You're a popular topic of conversation around here." Sarah didn't know if she liked that or not. If this was the counsellor, she wouldn't mind terribly. Barkeeps were a different matter from counsellors entirely. Barkeeps, it had been her experience, were often more honest in their appraisals and more generous with their advice. She propped one ankle over the knee, grateful that Guinan didn't comment of what the gesture was doing to Sarah's posture. "What sort of descriptions?" "Several different kinds," Guinan allowed. "I always like to think it depends on who's doing the describing. Would you like something to drink?" Barkeeps were definitely a different species, and a highly superior one at that, Sarah thought with a sense of satisfaction as she draped one arm over the back of the chair. "I thought you weren't certain I was supposed to be here." Guinan's hairless brows flashed upwards. "Were you told you couldn't be?" "No." The hat inclined slightly. "Do you plan on starting any fights?" Sarah shook her head. "Not today. I'm not exactly in the mood. Actually, I've had my share of fighting for a bit." "Glad to hear it. I assume you won't be dancing on any of my tables,either." Getting into the spirit of things, Sarah pretended to consider doing just that. "No music," she finally decided. Guinan nodded her approval. "In that case, I suppose I can let you stay for a while. I should warn you, though." *Drat it all.* Just when Sarah had thought she'd finally found someone she could have a decent conversation with, this had to come up. "Warn me of what? I promise not to exert myself just sitting here. You have my word." Guinan's hat bobbed. "I believe you. See that boy over there?" She waved an elegant dark hand toward a group of young people at a nearby table. "The one in the grey." Sarah nodded. "Cardassian agent in disguise?" "No. Wesley Crusher. You might prefer the Cardassian, though. He's, shall we say, inquisitive, as well as being Beverly Crusher's son. It's not going to take him long to figure out who you are, and he's going to have questions." "What sort of questions?" Sarah stopped herself with a shake of her head. "No, I don't think I want to know." Teenage boys, outside of her own brothers, generally weren't interested in discussions of any merit. To top it all off, they also tended to address half of their comments to her bosom. Guinan immediately put Sarah's fears to rest. "Knowing Wesley, he'll have enough tact to avoid the past few months. I think he'll mostly want to know about your Academy days." Sarah rolled her eyes. He was one of *those.* She should have known things were going too well. She raised an eyebrow. "Academics or social life?" *Dear God, let it be academics.* Guinan stole a quick glance at Wesley, who was now looking none-too-subtly in Sarah's direction. "Both." Sarah groaned. "Find one little error in the entrance examination, and kiss anonymity goodbye. I suppose I ran this risk when I left my quarters." She let out a tired sigh. "There's not much difference between a room and a cell if you can't leave." Guinan nodded sagely. "I can agree with that," she said softly, a shadow of memory passing behind her ebony eyes. "Would you like me to tell him you'd rather be alone?" *Alone?* Sarah traced an invisible pattern of concentric circles on the table with her fingertips. "Thank you, no. I could have stayed in my quarters if I wanted to be alone. If I can handle the Romulans, what can one teenage boy do?" It hadn't been all that long ago, she recalled, when she had been the insatiable prodigy. Willie hadn't seemed to mind the endless questions. He'd seemed to enjoy them, she reflected, now abandoning her circles to trace his profile on the table. There had been no question of her enjoying his answers. "To be honest, I've had my fill of being alone. I'd welcome the company." She turned her eyes back to the starfield. Philemon Three was clearly visible, a nearly round white pearl. Instead of Guinan's, the next voice Sarah heard was male, deep-timbered, and graced with the cultured tones of Europe. "Excellent. would you care for *my* company, Lieutenant?" Sarah didn't have to count the pips on the man's collar to know who asked to join her. There was comfort in the leaf-green eyes that were younger than his face. She needed that comfort. "Captain Picard. Yes, of course. I'd be delighted. Sir," she added hastily. Picard took the seat opposite Sarah, giving his uniform tunic a quick tug into place. "I'm glad to see you up and about," he began. "Doctor Crusher tells me you put your time in Sickbay to good use. You make her normal patients look lazy." The *Enterprise's* captain would make an excellent model for a charcoal drawing, Sarah noted, taking in the patrician lines of his nose and expressive mouth. Maybe she'd have the chance later. "Thank you, sir." "It's the Federation that should be thanking you," he corrected, resting his arms on the table and leaning slightly towards her. "Without the information you're providing, who knows how long the Romulan presence might have gone undiscovered. There's already talk of a promotion for you." Sarah looked out at the stars again,her eyes picking out the planet immediately. "With all due respect,sir, I'd rather not have been in a position to know. To be honest, I'd have preferred it if somebody else could brief Command on all this muddle." Guinan, whom neither Picard nor Sarah had noticed leaving, returned with two steaming mugs of tea. "Captain, Lieutenant. May I get you anything else? Scones? Tea bread?" Sarah lifted her mug to her lips gratefully. "Prince of Wales, milk first. How did you know?" Picard took up his own mug. "Guinan usually knows. It's a gift of hers, one of many special abilities. Thank you, Guinan. That will be all." He took a swallow of Earl Grey before posing his question. "Lieutenant, there's going to be a meeting to discuss our options in exploring the current situation. I'd like you to attend, if you're feeling up to it." Sarah swallowed her mouthful of tea before she could spit it out in her eagerness to accept. Was she feeling up to it? Were Tellerite s up to a good argument? Were Ferengi up for a bargain? She wiped a drop of milky tea from the corner of her mouth. "Thank you, sir. I'd be honoured." "Please understand," Picard stressed, his straight brows drawing together. "This is a request, not an order or an obligation. You're not officially on duty." Sarah gave him a grateful smile. "Frankly, sir, I'd gladly accept a janitorial assignment if it would give me something to do." Picard was fairly beaming as his fingers tapped against the outside of the mug. "Good. Be in my conference room in one hour." "I'll be there, sir." Instead of getting up, Picard took a slow drink, and favoured Sarah with a conspiratorial look. "One more question, Lieutenant. Please tell me if it's too personal, but I've heard something about your injuring Commander Riker during a..." he paused to make quotation marks with his fingers, and lowered his voice to a whisper, "training exercise on the *Hood?* --- Riker switched off his viewscreen and sat back in his chair. Thirty-seven of the native workers employed at the mine had the orange tattoos, but they were all Dega, as Governor Anderson had told him at least two dozen times. Degan philosophy strictly forbade the use of any modern technology, so none of them would have gone anywhere near the generator. He rubbed a sore muscle in the back of his neck and let out a long breath. The Merb, and he wasn't about to find out how many of *them* belonged to the Berrek clan, were more than happy to let the Federation have the mining area all to themselves. Riker counted them as another group of highly unlikely suspects. That left the Klevv. It was obvious, but the mere thought of trying to track down nomads was daunting. He called up the time, regretting his request as soon as it was granted. There were only fifteen minutes left until the staff meeting. Running a hand through his already disheveled hair, he stared at the padd containing his amended notes. He wished he hadn't looked at the pictures Sarah had given him. Having a face, or in this case, a tattoo, to put to the object of his anger didn't help. Sarah was right, he thought, much as he hated to admit it. The intricate swirls and slanted lines of the tattoos did have an exotic beauty to them. They also looked to be extremely painful to obtain, if the computer's description of the tattooing process was correct. He didn't even want to know where they got the dye from. The metallic chirp of the door saved him from having to speculate. "Come." His relief vanished instantly upon the door's opening. "What can I do for you, Counsellor?" Deanna Troi's red lips looked decidedly pouty, and not in an attractive manner by any stretch of the imagination. "You had no right to inform Lieutenant Cromwell of her father's death without having me there." Riker crossed his arms in front of his chest. "I thought you were the one who said a familiar face would help her." Deanna mimicked the posture. "To come back to consciousness, yes." Her words came out cold and clipped, a tone he'd heard from her very few times before. "And to help ease the confusion." Riker turned his attention back to his notes. "If you're looking for an exact recording of the last meeting, I would suggest trying Data." She didn't take the hint. "You're angry at me." *No kidding.* Riker set down the padd. "No, Deanna, I'm thrilled that you took it upon yourself to barge into private quarters when you knew that Sarah, *your patient,* was upset. Don't your Betazoid empathic senses let you know when someone doesn't need your help?" "It was my job as counsellor to inform Lieutenant Cromwell of her father's death," she stated, her lower lip sticking out petulantly. "I was doing my job." Riker pretended to scan through his notes. The pouty look wasn't a good one for Deanna, and it wasn't a side of her he liked to see. "I'm not disputing that." Stubbornly pressing her point, Deanna placed a hand on the desk, just within his vision. "Yet you didn't allow me to stay and do the job I'm supposed to do." Riker met her gaze, his eyes narrowed. "I thought I told you that Sarah is a personal friend of mine. She needed something more than *ra beem.*" He spat out the Betazoid phrase, like a piece of gristle in an otherwise perfect steak. "What were you going to say to her? That you understood she'd had some bad news? I don't call that helping." Deanna almost looked hurt. Almost. Riker knew her better than that. Frustrated was more like it. "I know what it's like to lose a father," she contended. Riker shook his head. "You didn't know *her* father," he clarified, his voice becoming momentarily softer. "I did. He meant something to me. If you were on top of things as you claim to be, you'd have picked up on that. Sarah needed someone who could really share her pain. *I* can do that, not you. Honestly, Counsellor, I don't know why we're having this conversation." His eyes fixed hers with a challenge to come up with a good answer. "It is standard procedure to have the ship's counsellor present when.." Riker cut her off with an impatient huff. "Don't quote standard procedure to me. It's also standard procedure to obey orders of any senior officer. I did dismiss you as soon as you entered Lieutenant Cromwell's quarters. Without her permission, I might add." "I felt her grief. I had to come." "Did you also feel that she wasn't alone?" Deanna nodded, unable to meet his eyes. "Yes." Beneath the desk, Riker's hands curled into fists. "Then why did you override the lock? Did you sense that she was going to harm herself? Did you think that *I* was going to hurt her?" Deanna took a step back. "You're upset." "You're right. I am upset," he agreed, standing. "I'm upset that someone as caring as you profess to be would behave in such a manner. This isn't like you, and I don't appreciate that the one time your patient is someone close to me is the one time you decide to turn into the psychiatric commando." Deanna spoke deliberately slower. "That's an interesting term. What do you mean by that?" Riker put the padd down with a sharp click, reining in the urge to give full vent to his anger. "An interesting term? Come off it, Deanna. I don't have time for any of your psycho-analytic games. I'm not one of your patients." "I never said you were." Deanna's voice was still calm, but Riker could see her mounting anxiety in the way her arched brows drew together. "You haven't answered my question, Counsellor. Did you believe Lieutenant Cromwell to be in any danger?" *Bill, I felt your pain, too. I couldn't ignore that.* Riker's fingers gripped the edge of the desk until he could feel the sharp edge cutting into his flesh. "If you have something to say to me, Counsellor," he bit out between clenched teeth, "I would appreciate it if you would speak. Need I remind you that you are not among your fellow telepaths?" Deanna fought the temptation to take another step back. "Sometimes words get in the way of true communication." She paused for a second. It gave Riker enough time to dart into the awkwardly quiet space. "Are you talking about Sarah? She didn't need your words, but you didn't seem too concerned about true communication then." Deanna took a decided step forward, but only a small one. There was still a comfortable buffer between her and the desk, and, more importantly, the man behind it. Riker was emitting a definite hostility. "Perhaps you and I should set aside a time to talk," she ventured. "I can tell Lieutenant Cromwell's ordeal has been very traumatic for you." "I don't want to talk. I have a job to do," Riker reiterated, picking up the padd for illustration and waving it at Deanna. "So do you. There are over one thousand other people on this ship, and several of them are your patients. I'm sure they'd be delighted to hear that instead of looking after their well-being, you're in here wasting my time." Deanna stiffened defensively. "Lieutenant Cromwell is my top priority. It isn't going to be easy for her, Bill. She's lost a child and a father in a very short period of time. Whether you approve of it or not, I *can* identify with both those losses. You can't." When Riker spoke next, he made sure that Deanna could almost taste the sarcasm in his voice. "You can identify with both those losses? How convenient. Can you also identify with being held prisoner by the Romulans? With losing six months of your life? Have you ever been tortured? Do you know how those things affected the person I know she is?" Riker's chest heaved with the force of his anger. "Bill..." Riker slammed a fist on the desk, causing Deanna to jump. "That's another thing. I asked you to stop that, but you don't seem to care about anything I ask lately, do you?" Deanna's eyes widened and her head ducked as she realised what she'd called him. Her hand flew to her mouth as if to ward off any more blunders. "It slipped out. I don't know where it came from. I'm sorry." Her answer was met with a contemptuous scoff. "I'll bet. We're not talking about me." A cynical smile settled on his mouth as he thought for a second. "Or are we? Does it bother you that I care for Sarah Cromwell? Did I offend something other than your professional dignity by helping her where you couldn't?" For the first time during the entire exchange, Riker felt awkward at being the only one seated. He pushed the chair back from the desk and stood, inserting the chair back into its former place before going on. "Counsellor, I'm not going to apologise, and I am not going to waste any more time arguing with you. If you wish to discuss your breach of protocol, I have some free time tomorrow at 0900." Deanna winced at the sharpness in his voice. She knew she'd gone too far, crossed over a boundary she'd never noticed before. "All right. Tomorrow. 0900 hours. We'll talk then." The computer reminded Riker, in its calm, quiet tones, that he had a meeting to attend. "After you, Counsellor," he invited, extending an arm toward the door. He let Deanna leave first, but once in the corridor, his long strides soon overtook her. She looked, he noted, like she might be thinking of apologising to him, but he didn't want to hear it. He didn't want to hear anything she had to say at the moment, and the sooner she knew that, the better. He walked past her briskly, his posture perfectly straight. He knew he'd calm down as soon as he reached the conference room; he'd have to. Anger was a luxury for an officer at a time like this; a luxury he couldn't afford. Maybe if it were anyone but Sarah, he could. *Sarah.* Riker quickened his step, which caused him to arrive at the conference room a full minute ahead of Deanna. --- Jean-Luc Picard sat at the head of the conference table, his expression unusually animated as he looked up to see who had entered. Riker found his irritation chased away by the captain's contagious excitement. Sarah was there, too, seated next to Picard, looking as though it were her rightful place. She looked comfortable and eager, her straight posture and bright eyes an definite encouragement. "Captain. Lieutenant." Maybe it was a tad unprofessional, but Riker couldn't help giving Sarah's shoulder a light squeeze as he passed her, taking the next seat. The rest of the staff came in more or less in one group. Geordi, Worf and Beverly arrived together, Deanna only a few seconds behind, followed by Miles O'Brien and Data. Considering the circumstance, the mood should have been more serious, but Picard's enthusiasm dispelled any somberness. He began without preamble. "I have had a most fascinating conversation with Lieutenant Cromwell." He paused to tug at the waistband of his uniform, casting a quick glance in the Englishwoman's direction. "And I must say that if she is any example of what the Academy is turning out lately, we can look forward to a truly wondrous future for Starfleet." He was fairly beaming at Sarah, who was turning a bright shade of red and staring intently at the tabletop. Deanna rolled her eyes. Riker faked a cough. "As I was saying before I digressed," "Picard continued, flushing a bit himself. "We have had a most fascinating conversation, and Lieutenant Cromwell has a very interesting proposal for us to entertain. We will, however, save it until after the preliminary reports have been heard. Mr LaForge, have you been able to discover anything else about the shuttlecraft?" Geordi's ebony brows rose above the silvery metal of his VISOR. "Not really," he hedged, disappointment weighing his words. "We've been trying to beam up whatever pieces we can find of the craft, but it's not easy. Trying is the operative word here. The ice storms make transport practically impossible." He looked for O'Brien for confirmation. "Transport of any living organism *is* impossible," O'Brien put in, with a nod of his head. "Even without life signs to worry about, it's risky at best. The explosion didn't leave much." Picard's expression turned pensive, his patrician features drawing into an arrangement of straight lines. "Then why beam up the remains?" O'Brien pounced on the question. "There's a lot we can learn from transporting the shuttle remains. For one thing, even if we can't retrieve the object, the way it behaves during transport gives us something to work with." "Absolutely," Geordi agreed, with an emphatic nod of his own. "And if transport is successful, whatever we retrieve gives us that much more to go on. If we'd been able to get a good look at the whole thing, that would have been best, but we didn't get that chance. The best we can hope for now is to reconstruct what we can, and go on from there. Of course, anything Lieutenant Cromwell remembers will be a tremendous help." "I'll do whatever I can," Sarah volunteered. "I think I can safely say that nobody wants to get to the bottom of this more than I do." She gave the group a tentative half-smile, although her eyes were dead serious. "I'm afraid I didn't take the time to record any technical data. I had to improvise with the controls. They were only somewhat familiar." Worf's lips drew back from his teeth, a controlled snarl accompanying the change in expression. "You are familiar with Romulan technology?" Still, his voice held less suspicion than it had at a previous meeting. "Explain." "All aboveboard, Lieutenant," Sarah assured him, her heart pounding from the Klingon's aggressive stance. "The *Hoyle* had the opportunity to examine a Romulan derelict about..." She stopped in mid-sentence, mentally adding six months to the time she was about to quote. "Two years ago. Of course, what we got to see was decades old, but even Romulans don't change their technology that radically. Just like us, they keep what works." The explanation seemed to satisfy Worf. He grunted his approval, and launched into the next question without pause. "How were you able to reach the shuttle?" Sarah hesitated, casting a quick glance at Riker. It wasn't easy to recover from being on the receiving end of a Klingon's suspicion. At Riker's reassuring nod, she was able to go on. "They didn't think I needed guarding, since I'd miscarried only two days earlier. They told me any further attempts would only result in more death. They didn't say whose." Deanna flinched as a fresh wave of Sarah's grief swept over her. "I'm all right," she said hastily, waving Beverly back into her seat when the doctor moved to come towards her. "Please, continue." Sarah closed her eyes for a moment, gathering strength. *Come on, Cromwell. Recite the facts.* "I pretended to be weaker than I was. They didn't think I was going to sit up on my own, much less attempt another escape." Sarah thought she saw a flicker of admiration in the Klingon's eyes. "The guard outside my door left his post to, ah, relieve himself, and as soon as he was out of sight, I took my chance." Data cocked his head, processing the information. "Are your captors aware that your shuttle failed to make good its escape?" "No." Sarah looked at Picard. "If I may, I believe this is as good a time as any." Picard inclined his head slightly, and gave his tunic an unnecessary tug. It was the only show of doubt he allowed. "By now they'll have noticed that I'm gone, and that the shuttle is missing." Sarah began, her voice holding quiet authority. "The place where I was held is underground, and with the ice storms, they don't venture out unless it's absolutely necessary. I seriously doubt they've gone looking yet." She paused, trying to gauge the receptions her idea would get. It was difficult to tell, with unfamiliar faces, not knowing how the various features usually sat, but they all seemed to be with her so far. "As soon as there's a break in the ice storms, I'd like to join the away team at the crash site." "Absolutely not!" Riker almost jumped out of his chair. All eyes turned to Riker. Although a sudden silence had fallen over the room, the force of his words remained. He refused to be embarrassed, despite the colour he could feel flooding his face. "I apologise for my outburst, but clearly, Lieutenant Cromwell is in no condition for active duty on an arctic planet." Picard turned to Beverly, his face impassive. "Doctor?" Beverly took a deep breath, choosing her words carefully. "Lieutenant Cromwell's recovery has been unusually -- well, I'll call it precocious, but she's not the first human to behave that way. Other than the speed of her recovery, I don't see any reason to keep her from doing what she's able to do. I'll need a little more information before I give any sort of medical opinion. What exactly *do* you plan on doing, Lieutenant?" Worf's shaggy brows shot upwards with interest as he leaned in Sarah's direction. "You have a plan?" "I do," she confirmed, meeting his eyes. "The only Philemites I saw during my captivity were of a single clan, Berrek, although there were many individuals. All were Klevv. Since Philemites are physically identical to humans, except for their colouring, we could easily disguise the away team." Sarah paused. There were moments, and this was one of them, when life seemed unreal, to say the least. *Please understand, Willie,* she pleaded silently. "Since there were many Klevv in the compound, I don't think it would be implausible for the Roms to think another group of them found the shuttle." Geordi caught on immediately, slapping a hand down on the table as though he were a contestant in a holo-quiz programme. "I get it! You think we can pass ourselves off as Klevv bringing you back to the Romulans. Once we're inside, we can figure out what they're up to, without them even knowing we're in there. I like it," he pronounced, his wide ivory grin spreading slowly across his face. Worf's expression came dangerously close to matching Geordi's. Under other circumstances, it would have been comical. "It would require that Lieutenant Cromwell be certified fit for duty." His lips remained parted in feral anticipation. "How large would the landing party be?" "At least five, besides myself," Sarah informed him, mentally assembling a group of the correct size. "The Klevv usually travel in moderately sized groups, large enough for mutual protection, but small enough so that all of the procession can be easily fed and sheltered. Small extended families are the most common, with at least five adults, but rarely more than ten." Data's bright yellow eyes flickered as he thought. "How would you recommend disguising the equipment and weapons.?" The left corner of Sarah's mouth turned upward, betraying a trace of amusement. She spoke in clipped Philemite, then translated into Standard. "Never assume a dunf isn't hungry, never go hunting in a storm, and never ask a Klevv what's in his pack." Data cocked his head. "Ah. An ancient Philemite philosophical saying, commonly attributed to..." He stopped abruptly, noticing Picard's warning glare. "An ancient Philemite philosopher." "Veklad Rhu'gesh," Sarah supplied. "Widely respected by the Klevv. I have given this plan a great deal of thought." *Six months of it,* she added to herself. "I have every reason to believe we will be successful. There's obviously a cooperative relationship between the Berrek clan and the Romulans. The poor Roms do have some trouble remembering faces." The sound she made next was somewhere between a chuckle and a derisive snort. "Of course, the fur hoods help a great deal in that respect. "I know some of you may have your doubts as to the advisability of my participating in this venture," she said evenly, looking at Riker. "If I am found unfit, I will stay on board the *Enterprise* without protest and help devise an alternate plan. However, I do believe this is our best chance of getting to the bottom of the matter." Picard's fingers were steepled under his chin again, a sure sign that he was taking the matter at hand very seriously. "Comments?" Worf's look of utter satisfaction and his ready posture said more than his words could. "I believe Lieutenant Cromwell's plan should be effective, if she is found fit for duty." Picard nodded. "Doctor Crusher?" "I would insist on sending at least one doctor and one med-tech." Data looked as though he was trying very hard to keep quiet. Riker stroked his beard thoughtfully, the motion slow and repetitive. "This was your own idea, Lieutenant?" "Yes, sir. It is." Riker hoped Deanna didn't pick up on the pang of disappointment that stabbed him when Sarah spoke. *You don't have to do this, Brit,* he wanted to say. *You fulfilled your duty by not cooperating and by escaping. Let someone else handle the rest.* "Nobody suggested this to you?" Sarah bristled, drawing her small frame perfectly straight. "Commander, with all due respect, I fail to see your point. I've already explained that this plan is my own." Cautioned by a stern look from Picard, Riker swallowed his original comment. "I do have my reservations," he admitted, pausing for another stroke of his beard. He swivelled in Deanna's direction. "Counsellor, you haven't said anything." Deanna blinked. There was more for her to deal with than just the immediate discussion. The strength and number of emotions she had to sort through were things she hadn't counted on. Hoping nobody had noticed her distraction, she moistened her lips. "I believe Lieutenant Cromwell is sincere. Her thoughts and ideas are entirely her own." Picard pushed back from the table. "Excellent. Doctor, Lieutenant Worf, Counsellor, I will expect you to examine Lieutenant Cromwell as soon as possible. Bend a few points if you have to. I want this investigation underway immediately. Number One, assemble an away team. As soon as Lieutenant Cromwell is pronounced fit, weather permitting, we can begin preparing the landing party." Picard stood, dismissing the meeting. --- Six hours later, Riker scowled into the mirror, not quite believing what he saw. This was supposed to be attractive? Still, Data had assured him that he, as well as the rest of the away team, would pass for Klevv, even at close scrutiny. Not, of course, that he intended to let anyone get that close. His fingers traced the pattern of intricate swirls and slashes that started just below the hairline at his right temple and continued diagonally down his face, disappearing into his beard on the left side of his jaw. The bright orange colour stood out against the albino white of his skin and hair like a beacon. There was never any doubt about what clan a Philemite had been born into. The features were still familiar, still his, but the change in colouring, albeit temporary, unnerved him. He wasn't quite used to the extensions that had been added to lengthen his hair and beard, but he could fake it if he could manage not to get them caught in the robe's closing. He pulled a beard extension away from his inner robe's dunf-bone clasp with a muffled curse. He hated the thought of looking like one of *them.* Even so, it was necessary. He still didn't like the idea of Sarah going back down there, but, as Data had convinced him while they were being fitted for their robes, there was no other way. She wasn't a little girl, and didn't need protection. *Right.* He adjusted the white dunf fur robe so that it closed completely, keeping it away from anything hair-related. "Good enough," he pronounced, turning to face the others. "Is that it?" Sarah walked around him in a slow circle, nodding her approval. "Very good. Trust me, any Klevv patriarch would be proud to let your dunfs feed with his." She anticipated Data's question, and clarified. "That's the first step in the Klevv marriage ritual. There will be no questions." Riker took one last look in the mirror, and shook his abominable snowman's head. At least he knew he'd chosen the best people for the job. Data was still intently examining his own disguise. Geordi was busy pulling the furred hood lower over his face, trying to conceal his VISOR. Eliva had put her own hood on and off several times, trying to find the most comfortable way to lay her antennae. Next to her, Ensign Sabu, Geordi's recommendation, was having more trouble with the extensions than Riker had. It was small comfort, but it did make Riker feel less awkward. Riker had left the choice of security personnel to Worf. Although he didn't know Jeffrey Taylor and Sabrina Sinclair personally, their service records were enough. As an added bonus, they both seemed to be doing fine with the disguises. He motioned them over to help Sabu, who appeared to be tangled in a web of long white hair. "Well, I suppose that does it," Beverly announced, pulling on her own white robe, her fingers shaking as she secured the fastening. "How do I look?" Sarah crossed to Beverly with quick steps. "If you'll permit me, Doctor," she said as she unfastened Beverly's clasp and refastened it, this time with the opposite side overlapping. "It's this way for females. Easier to nurse, I suppose." She stepped back, surveying those around her. She thanked God that Willie was there. His familiar features and the uncertain set of his pale mouth encouraged her. These were all her fellow Starfleet officers, not really Klevv at all. *Remember that, Cromwell. There'll be a quiz later.* Riker took a deep breath, hoping to gather some of the authority he knew he'd have to project. "Lieutenant Cromwell, remain with me for a minute. The rest of you, proceed to Transporter room two. We'll meet you there." He watched the others file out, waiting until he and Sarah were alone. "Brit..." What could he say? "Are you sure about this?" Sarah looked directly into Riker's eyes, eyes that the artificial pink colouring couldn't make any less troubled. "Willie, it's going to work. You know it is. Under all this," she indicated his costume as well as her own, a re-creation of what she'd been wearing when she escaped the compound, "nothing's changed. We're still who we've always been." She paused. "Well, almost. I'm more than Arthur's little sister now. I'm a big girl. You have to be out of nappies to graduate Academy, you know." "Yeah, I know." Sarah's sigh weighed kilotons on Riker's ears. "Don't you believe in me anymore, Willie? You did once. Were you just humouring me in the summerhouse the night Uncle Stephen died?" Riker's shoulders slumped as the memory chastened him. "No, I wasn't humouring you. I meant every word, and I still do. I always will." He drew a hand down his face, stalling for time, stalling for the right words. "You're right. You're no child. Sometimes I wonder if you ever were. God, this is hard." "Just say it." Riker took a deep breath. "Okay, I guess a part of me still thinks I have to watch out for you. You're not a kid, and you don't need a babysitter. I just don't want you to push yourself too far trying to to prove that." *Because we have some unfinished business.* "Three of your senior staff don't think I'll be pushing myself," Sarah challenged, fixing Riker with a determined stare. "You did read their reports, didn't you?" Riker looked down at Sarah, seeing again the eager young girl who'd pounced on his Academy texts; the dedicated midshipman who'd had to be pried from her post at the end of every shift; the enchantingly beautiful woman who'd danced barefoot on a sawdust floor under bayou stars... He forced his memories aside and really looked at her, past the artful arrangement of simulated bruises and lacerations. With or without his approval, she was a Starfleet officer, and ready for the mission. He *had* read the reports carefully, over and over, hoping to find some excuse to keep her out of active duty. There hadn't been anything. Riker could still recall bits and pieces of each document. Worf's mentioning that testing Lieutenant Cromwell had reminded him that size and physical strength are not necessarily a guarantee of victory, for example stood out clearly. Under other circumstances, Riker would have been proud of her for that. Hell, he was now. It was just that... He closed his eyes tightly, shutting out all but the facts. There would be time for talking later, time for questions later. Now, there was a job to be done, and Riker had to admit that Sarah Cromwell was the best officer for that job. Without thinking about it, he put his hands on her shoulders and bent down, brushing his lips across hers, just once. *Just in case it's the last time...* "Ready, Lieutenant?" Still a bit stunned by Riker's action, Sarah could only stare at him. He looked, she thought, like the rest of her life. A mixture of the familiar and strange, beloved and feared, all at the same time. She pulled the white fur hood over her head, taking minute care in arranging it to look appropriately rumpled. "Ready, Commander." *Don't lie, Cromwell.* "After you, then." They walked to the transporter room in silence, and took their places among the others on the platform. Riker accepted a bulging pack from a waiting ensign, and slung it over his shoulder. The others followed suit with their own burdens. After that, there was nothing left to stall with. He looked at Sarah, her face impassive, her posture inspection-straight. "Mr O'Brien, energise." --- to be continued in TAPESTRY TWO: SNOWBOUND