The BLTS Archive - Plain Sight fourth in the Inequality series by Sigrid (sigridthehaughty@yahoo.com) --- DISCLAIMERS: Standard disclaimers. Voyager and the characters are not mine, but the story is. Do not archive without my permission. SPOILERS: Thirty Days, mildly. DEDICATED TO: AbyKitten, for being my greatest net buddy. Also for Stephanie, and her wonderful NAF series. --- Damn, could I have been more obvious? I can't believe I started saying all that stuff about me being his friend and that I'd smooth things over for him. Shit. I don't even know why I went to see him today. It was just an impulse, really. And yes, damnit, I miss him, on the bridge. And he shouldn't be the one suffering because I can't return Kathryn's feelings. Damnit, why did she have to involve Tom in this at all? I could maybe bring myself to understand if she felt something for him, but I really don't think she does. Not in the same way she feels for me, at least. But Tom's in love with her. I can see that now. That's why he can't even bring himself to serve on the bridge. Fuck it, it's all so screwed up. When Kathryn first told me, about her and Tom, I was so angry at her, I couldn't see straight. I wanted to hit something. Well,I did hit something. . . I hit my commanding officer. I thought I was over that anger, especially when I went to see Tom, the first time, in the brig. Kathryn didn't know, and Ayala wasn't too pleased at me calling in the dozen favours he owes me, for this, but he let me. He said a few minutes, but I think he must have fallen asleep in his quarters or something, because he didn't come back for over an hour. I think Tom was just glad of the company. Hell, the Doc told me that Tom was desperate to go to sickbay, just to have someone to talk to. And Ayala told me he regularly paced up and down his cell, for lack of nothing better to do. When I first got there, he was asleep. He woke up a few minutes later though, a light sleeper, it seems. Probably wondering why I was watching him sleep. But I said I had just arrived, so I think it was okay. He looks so. . . different. . . when he sleeps. He doesn't deserve this. He asked me what was happening on the ship, and I told him all the gossip. I didn't tell him that I knew about him and Kathryn, and he never mentioned her. I even let him out of the cell, briefly, just around the main room. He thanked me for that, said it was good to 'stretch his legs'. I said I just wished he could go out the door. He was a bit taken aback by that. But I just smiled. He smiled back, a bit uncertainly, and then said that he guessed I thought the Captain was being a little stiff in her punishment. The first time he mentioned her. I felt my stomach drop. Shit, how am I supposed to react to that? "No, I don't think you deserve all this. Not for what you did." Now, he was definitely surprised. "You don't?" But before I could answer him and explain myself, we heard the proximity alarm go off. Someone was coming back into the room. Tom dived for the cell, as I reactivated the forcefield, just as Tuvok walked in. Shit. He raises an eyebrow when he sees me, and I just nod, before turning back to Tom. "I expect to see your report on the diagnostics the day after you are released, Paris." "Yes sir." It was only later that I realised that my excuse for seeing him was that Tuvok had been busy. But he didn't question it. I don't even think he realised. The second time I saw him was about a week later. I came, this time with Neelix's food on a tray. This time, it was a genuine excuse. Neelix was caught up with some ambassadors, and I had offered to take food to Tom. He accepted gratefully and got back to entertaining his guests. Tom had been awake that time. He smiled when he saw me enter, teasing me about how people were going to talk. I set the food down, and he looked at it mournfully, like a lost puppy. "This is all I get? Leola root?" "What do you want me to do, replicate you a pizza?" His eyes brightened up, and he smiled a smile so wide, I hated to disappoint him, but I had to. "Sorry, Tom I used up all my replicator rations." "You're the commander, and you have a never-ending supply." "Yeah right, keep believing that, while you eat your delightful leola root stew and. . . well. . . whatever that is." He made a face, and started to eat. We made small talk again. We didn't have as long this time, Ayala could only leave for a few minutes, but before I went, I deactivated the forcefield for a few seconds, and handed him a PADD. "Present for you." He looked down at it. "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea, Jules Verne. . . thanks, Chakotay." Oh shit, was I blushing? "Yeah well, I figured you might be bored, so I thought you could do with something to read. Keep you out of trouble." "I think this book got me *into* trouble, didn't it?" No, I did that for you, was the thought that went around my head, but I didn't say that. "Just enjoy, Paris. Quit questioning me. I'm still your superior officer, and will be until you die." "Wanna bet?" I just laughed, and then I stepped out of the cell, reactivating the forcefield, before I left. "See you in ten, Tom." "Yeah, see you soon, Chakotay, and. . . thanks." I didn't see him again until today. . . . . . Is that my commbadge beeping, or the doorchime? "Paris to Chakotay." Commbadge. "Chakotay here." Silence, then "Sorry, Commander, was I disturbing you?" "No, not at all Tom, what can I do for you?" "I was just wondering if we could talk about me coming back to work. . . " --- continued in the fifth story in the Inequality series 'Stopwatch'