The BLTS Archive - Falling Down third in the Directions series by ShoSen (shosen@totallykawaii.com) --- Disclaimer: All stories not found in the Originals section are works of fanfiction. The characters are not the property of the fanfiction author, and belong to their respective copyright holders. No money is being made from the production of these stories. --- Trip entered the Armoury, lugging his toolbox along, stopped, and glared around him. Unfortunately, the effect was wasted as there was no one visible to see it. After a moment, however, Malcolm appeared, his attention focused on the phase pistol that was in his hand, and whatever modifications he was currently making on it. He didn't even look up to where Trip was standing, which really didn't help the engineer's mood. "Well?" he demanded, finally getting Malcolm to look up from the weapon, which he supposed was a minor victory in itself, but not one he was about to take consolation in. "Hello Commander," Malcolm greeted him, and Trip scowled. "Look Malcolm, I have spent the entire day fighting all the important systems that have been cutting out on us lately. I have a lot to do, and I am not a repairman you can call up to fix every little thing that goes wrong with your toys. So if you can just tell me what was so important that I had to come myself, I would appreciate getting back to work instead of dealing with little--" a large eruption of sparks, complete with cracking and hissing noises cut off his tirade, and drew his attention to the rather large hole that had been burnt into one of the Armoury's far walls, exposing all the damaged circuitry that lay behind it, "problems," he finished his sentence in disbelief. When he looked back over at Malcolm, he found the other man looking not in the slightest bit embarrassed. "What the hell happened in here?" "As you know, I've been trying to modify some of the phase pistols to make them stronger, beyond what we were able to do when the cybernetic beings attacked the ship." "And this is the explanation for the giant hole we now have in the wall?" "Yes, well, I wasn't entirely successful." "Looks like you got a heck of a lot more power outta them if you did this with just one." The man had the gall to look smug. "Yes, well, the power output was acceptable; unfortunately, it sent the targeting completely off." Another loud burst of sparks cut off the rather impolite comments Trip was about to make regarding Malcolm's experimental controls. "Damn it, why didn't you reroute the power that's going through those conduits." "I did," Malcolm replied bluntly. "As far as I can tell, none of Enterprise's power is moving through there." More sparks. "And the continuing light show is the reason I requested your assistance." Trip sighed, his anger at getting summoned to the Armoury finally draining off in the face of the problem before him. "Okay, then I guess I better see what I can do." "I appreciate your willingness to help with such a little problem." He was smirking now, and Trip gave him a glare in return, before pulling out a scanner and trying to figure out what was going on in what was left of that section of wall. Malcolm nodded, finally leaving the phase pistol behind to join him as they tried to figure out what the readings they were getting meant. Trip watched him as they studied their instruments, pleased to see that the he didn't waver like he was about to fall over anymore. "So," Trip began, "you look" Malcolm started to glare at him, and he smirked, "better." The Armoury officer should his head with a smile. "I feel much better, thank you." "The medicine really worked then, didn't it." "Apparently so." Trip smiled, and Malcolm finally gave him a sideways look. "I am not going to say that you were right, so stop waiting for it." He laughed, then they both jumped back as the sparks shot out of the wall again. "I don't understand this, there's nothin' running' through there that could cause that sort of reaction." "Given all the evidence to the contrary, something has to be sending power through those circuits." Trip shook his head, walking over to stand beside Malcolm. "Yeah, but I'll be damned if I figure out wh--" his words were cut off as the entire ship seemed to drop out from under them, and he fell forward, crashing into Malcolm, both of them hitting the deck hard. Well, technically, Malcolm hit the deck hard, and Trip hit Malcolm hard, landing right on top of the other man, the breath knocked out of them both. He managed to get his hands under him, lifting up enough that he wasn't crushing Malcolm anymore, and was instead looking down at the other man, who was looking up at him with a rather dazed expression. It was probably from hitting his head on the floor, but there was an unguarded quality to his gaze, and Trip found himself being drawn into it. The Armoury seemed very far away, and he was aware of nothing other than those blue-grey eyes and the feeling of the ground moving beneath him. Well, the whole of Enterprise moving beneath him, but lying there with Malcolm underneath him, he was finding it very hard to care that the stabilizers were apparently offline. Until the god-awful tactical alert sounded and the far-away look left Malcolm's eye just before they scrambled to their feet. They ran for the bridge together, forgetting the hole in the Armoury's wall, forgetting the fall to the floor, forgetting the feeling he got from looking down into Malcolm's eyes. --- continued in the fourth story in the Directions series 'Rising Up'