The BLTS Archive - The Food series #6: Just Desserts by Kiff (Kiff47@yahoo.com) --- Disclaimer: They're Paramount's, not mine, but I know how to show them a good time. Feedback: Constructive comments accepted. Archiving: Permission granted to Sileya to archive at TSU. All others, please ask first. Sequel to "Food For Thought," "Ruminations," "Ingredients," "Simmer," and "The Purge." Spoilers: Itty-bitty references to "Extreme Risk," "Mortal Coil," and "Unforgettable." --- "How is he doing, Doctor?" "Remarkably well, Commander. I expect that he will be up and about within a couple of days." "That's good to know." "You *do* realize that you and Ensign Roberts are very fortunate that Mr. Neelix was there when the plant attacked." "How's that?" "His Talaxian immune system was able to fight off the toxin. A human would have died within seconds if they had been injected by even one of those darts." I breathe deeply. "In other words, he saved my life." "Indeed." I'm quiet for a few moments, digesting all this. "Is he conscious? Can I see him?" "I believe he is asleep at the moment. However, it is perfectly safe to look in on him. Just don't trip over Mr. Paris." "Tom? He's still here?" "He's hardly left since you brought Mr. Neelix back from the planet. I must say, he has done a splendid job of caring for him, and under very difficult circumstances." The Doctor preens a little. "My hours upon hours of medical lectures were apparently not wasted after all. I may make a competent physician's assistant of him yet." "I'd say you already have." He's a bit taken aback. "Why, thank you, Commander." I allow a slight smile on my face. "You're welcome, Doctor, and if you'll excuse me, I'm going to spend a few minutes with my favorite Talaxian." He nods his approval, and I step out of his office. I walk around the corner, look through the observation glass, and stop short at what I see. There are *two* occupied biobeds, not one. They have been pushed against each other. Neelix lies in the one on the left. He is sleeping peacefully on his side. In the other is Tom Paris, just as soundly asleep, facing Neelix. Their hands are clasped together in the middle, Tom's held protectively over his patient's. I step back for a second, feeling as though I've violated a very private moment. Then I look again, because I need to confirm that my eyes aren't playing tricks on me. I know that Tom and Neelix are friends, but I have never sensed, until now, that there could be anything else between them. I had been convinced that Tom and B'Elanna were eventually going to pair off, but then she went through her emotional problems a few months ago, and their relationship cooled off considerably. Which may have not been a bad thing, as I honestly don't think they're right for each other. As friends, yes -- lovers, no. Too combustible. And Neelix? His lover broke up with him two years ago, then ended up leaving the ship altogether. This hurt him a lot, even though he put on a brave front for everyone. I was glad to see him take Naomi Wildman under his wing. He needs someone to care for, because otherwise he's not happy. He even gave me some good advice once about a woman -- now, what was her name, anyway? I can't think of it. But who takes care of Neelix? Maybe I'm beginning to see the answer, even though it's still hard to believe. Tom Paris. Self-serving, impulsive, arrogant.... Hold on a minute, here. *He* saved my life, too, on Ocampa. He came back for me even if it meant putting himself at risk. And because he rescued me, I was able to save Voyager from the Kazon. And because I prevented Neelix from killing himself, he was there to protect me when my own life was threatened. Quite a circle we have going there, isn't it? Whether we realize it or not, we are all connected and we all owe each other our lives. And if two of us decide that we want to deepen that connection and find some joy, in the knowledge that it all may disappear tomorrow, who are the rest of us to stand in the way? Tom and Neelix. It feels right. Tom's a risk-taker who can give Neelix some spark. And Neelix is a gentle soul who can give Tom the nurturing and warmth that he never got from his family. Yes, this is a good thing. And I'm not going to disturb them now. I think it's time to have a talk with my spirit guide. --- The End (Continued in part seven, "The Spice of Life")