The BLTS Archive - Unloved #10: Unexpected Joys by Karahkwa (karahkwa@startrekmail.com) --- Disclaimer: All things Trek belong to Paramount. I mean no copyright infringement. This situation is my own. --- Harry Kim stepped onto the bridge and sighed. He'd just spent his lunch break with Chakotay. He was actually glad to be away from his husband. Ever since Chakotay had been restricted to bed rest, he's been moody as hell. The man simply didn't know how to do nothing. And it was driving them both up the wall. Harry didn't honestly know if he'd make it through another six weeks. "Lieutenant, how is Commander Kim?" "He's going stir crazy, ma'am. He wasn't even this temperamental when he was having morning sickness." Janeway laughed. "Well, I'll have to see if I can find him something to do. Maybe I'll move up the crew evaluations." "Thank you, Captain." --- Chakotay set aside the PADD he'd been reading. Janeway had him doing every report the Federation had ever thought of. Not that he minded. Spirits knew he would have going crazy and taken Harry with him if he hadn't had something to do. Even with all this work, he was still irritating his husband to no end. But it was only two more weeks. Chakotay sighed. Two weeks. That didn't seem right. These last few months had flown by. They weren't ready to be parents yet. They had only just finished the baby's room last month. It had taken them longer to move out of their quarters and into the VIP quarters that B'Elanna had had renovated for them than they'd thought. But they'd finally gotten the baby's room done. They'd had a hard time decorating. They'd decided they didn't want to know if the baby was a boy or a girl. Tom had finally suggested yellow since it would go well with blue if they had a boy and it didn't look that bad on a girl. Chakotay rubbed his stomach absently. Secretly, he was hoping for a little boy. He wasn't sure if he felt comfortable raising a daughter. Especially since they didn't have a woman in the family to take care of… well, all the thing girls need to learn from women. But at the same time, he knew Harry was hoping for a little girl. Harry wanted to have a "daddy's girl". They'd all ready started calling Harry daddy when they were talking to the baby. Chakotay had picked Papa for a nickname. That's what he'd called his own father when he was very, very young. Chakotay sighed. He hadn't thought about his father in a while. He wondered what Kolopak would think of him carrying a child. It gave him an odd desire to meditate. But his medicine bundle was in the back of the closet. He had the hardest time getting anything out of the closet. He glanced at the chronometer. Harry would be home in forty minutes. He could do it then. In fact, maybe it was time to teach Harry about a certain tiger. --- Harry walked into his quarters and expected Chakotay to be on the couch. He usually stayed out in the main room during the afternoon. Most time, he'd read or work on some report for the captain. Very rarely, Harry would find him asleep. Chakotay must have had a bad afternoon if he'd gone to bed all ready. Harry wandered into the bedroom. His husband was laying with his back to the door. Heading around the bed, Harry could see Chakotay's eyes were closed and he seemed completely relaxed. He was also more handsome than any man had a right to be. His face was relaxed and the few wrinkles that he had we as soft as they could be. His hair was just starting to get long enough to fall forward. The light just over bed lit his tattoo. He'd never been sexier. Harry sighed and turned to go back to the living room. "Hey. Come back here." Harry smiled and returned to sit on the edge of the bed. "I thought you were asleep." After reaching up and pulling Harry down into a kiss, Chakotay sighed. "No. I've been waiting for you to come home." "You usually wait in the main room. Are you all right?" "I'm fine. I just have a slight backache. Carrying this little one isn't easy on the body you know." "Should I comm the Doctor?" "No. I'm seeing him tomorrow anyway. Besides, I have plans for us tonight." "Oh?" Harry raised his eyebrows. This could be intriguing. Chakotay nodded. "I'd like to help you find your spirit guide." Harry smiled. "Will it hurt?" Chakotay laughed. "I don't think so." Harry laughed gently. "Well, then let's get cracking." "My medicine bundle is in the closet. Could you get it for me?" He rose quickly and returned with the rawhide bound bundle. He carried it gently, knowing how important it was to Chakotay. Chakotay took it from his hands and gently caressed the soft outside cover. Reluctantly, he handed it back to Harry. "Hold this while I sit up." A few moments later, Chakotay was braced against the bead headboard. He smiled as Harry handed him back the bundle and then sat where he could rub his feet. "Mmm…" "Still swollen, I see." "Yeah. But just two more weeks and your foot massages will be optional." Harry smiled. "So how do we this?" "Well, let me show you what's in my bundle. This is a blackbird's wing. And this is a stone from the bottom of a river. And this is my akoonah. This is what actually frees our minds to contact our guides." "Our? You'll come with me?" "If you wish, I can accompany you." "I'd like that." Chakotay smiled. "Okay. I'm going say the traditional prayers and then we'll touch the akoonah together." Harry closed his eyes and listened as Chakotay spoke. Although the words were in Standard, he didn't hear them. Instead he heard the reverence in his husband's voice. When Chakotay gently took his hand, Harry smiled softly and wondered what kind of animal he'd gotten. Suddenly the blackness behind his eyes was replaced. All around him was meadow. His mind knew it wasn't real but the could feel the breeze and smell the flowers as surely as if it were. He smiled as Chakotay lifted his hand and gently kissed his wrist. "Hey, you're thin." Harry laughed and wrapped his arm around his waist. "So where is my spirit guide?" "He'll be the first animal you see." Harry let go of Chakotay and turned in a circle. He was nearly back to facing his lover when he stopped as gasped. There, laying in the grass, was the most beautiful creature he had ever seen. The tiger looked back at him with bright, intelligent green eyes. His whiskers twitched as he watched the man who so watched him. "You can speak to him, Harry." Harry nodded and took a step towards him. "Hello." "Greetings, Harry. I see your mate has finally brought you to me." Harry glanced at Chakotay and smiled. He looked back at the tiger. "Yes." The tigers head bobbed, almost as if he was nodding. "There is no better time. Your kits will be born soon." "Yes. Two weeks until the baby's due." "It will happen sooner than you think." Harry nodded. "These last months have flown by. I'm sure a few days will fly just as much." "Indeed." Harry looked puzzled for a moment and then looked back at Chakotay. The man was crouched down next to a gray wolf. "Do tigers and wolves get along well?" "Tigers have power, energy, strength and will-power in the face of adversity. We act without analysis and in a timely manner. Wolves have steadfastness, instinct linked to intelligence, skill in protecting your family, dignity and courage. Yes, we are well suited as are you and your Chakotay." Harry smiled. "When does the baby get a Spirit Guide?" "A baby's spirit animal is chosen very early. Your child has a beautiful guide. You need not worry. The baby will be strong. You will do well by the kit." "I'm glad. Chakotay worries that we'll not know what to do." The tiger's head tipped to the side. "And you have no such worry?" "I know that there will be times when we'll not have all the answers. But I know that Cha and I can work any problem out." "You are a good match for your Cha. Now, it is time for you to leave." "Must I?" "You will see me again soon, Harry. Have Chakotay help you make up your own bundle. We will talk soon. After your kit is with you." "I look forward to it." Harry reached out and for the first time, touched the animal. The fur was a soft as he thought it would be. With a smile, he turned and took Chakotay's hand again. Soon the meadow faded and the black back of his lids returned. Harry smiled as he felt Chakotay lift his hand off the akoonah. He opened his eyes and squeezed Chakotay's hand. "Thank you, Cha." "You're more than welcome. I'm glad you had a good visit with your guide." "Yes. He seemed to like you." "I'm glad." Harry helped Chakotay wrap the bundle back up and then rose to put it away. He returned and after helping Chakotay settle on his side lay down behind him. He draped his arm across his lover's extended stomach. "Mmm. This is nice," Chakotay said as he laced his fingers through Harry's and rested their hands on their child. "Yes." Harry lay quietly for a few moments simply enjoying holding his husband and child. But eventually he broke the silence. "You know, we're going to need to come up with a name for this little one soon." "I know. I've been looking thought the databases." "I have some suggestions. Would you like to discuss it now?" "Sure. What names do you like?" "For a boy, Chayton." "Chayton? You picked a Sioux name?" "There are very few Korean names that I like. And when I saw Chayton, it seemed right to me." "What do you think of Dae?" "It's one of the few Korean names I do like." "Falcon of Greatness," Chakotay said using the meanings of the names. Then he smiled. "So Chayton Dae or Dae Chayton?" "Dae Chayton. But let's call him Chayton." "Chayton Kim. I like it." Harry smiled and kissed the back of Chakotay's neck. "What about girls' names?" "Chenoa." "Min. Min Chenoa Kim." "That sounds wonderful. We can call her Minnie." Harry nuzzled Chakotay's neck. "I'm glad we've decided. I was starting to worry we never would." "Well, I doubt we could call him or her ‘the baby' at eighteen." Harry chuckled. And snuggled closer for a few moments. Then, "Hey, are you hungry?" "No. I'm tired though." "You sure? The baby…" "I had a big lunch. You eat, I'll sleep." "Okay. I'll be back as soon as I can." Harry rose and covered Chakotay with a light blanket. "You'll comm me if you need anything?" "Harry, you're only going to the mess hall. You won't even be gone an hour." "I know but…" "I'll comm you." Harry leaned down and kissed Chakotay's soft lips. He then turned and headed out the door. As he walked down the corridor, he sighed. He could have replicated something in their quarters. They had plenty of rations. He'd gotten an increase with his promotion and people had given them some as baby gifts. But they'd agreed to save them for things for the baby and for Chakotay's odd cravings. Harry entered the mess hall. He recoiled slightly at the smell of leola root stew. He closed his eyes for a moment and then forged ahead. "Harry! I must speak with you." Harry looked over and smiled at Neelix. "What can I do for you?" "Well, I wanted to talk to you about… Well, it's your anniversary next week and I was wondering if you knew what you and Chakotay are going to be doing. I would be willing to organized a party or something if you'd wish." Harry looked into the sincere eyes that looked worriedly back at him. He smile, "Chakotay and I haven't talked about it. I'll let you know okay?" "Of course, Harry." Harry smiled and grabbed a tray. He was pleasantly surprised to see that the stew was not the main dish. Instead he found a much more palatable dinner. He stepped away from the counter and looked around. Tom wasn't present this evening. B'Elanna, Tuvok, and the Captain were sitting at quiet table and he headed for them. "Lieutenant, good to see you tonight. How is the commander?" "He's fine, captain. Sleeping a lot more lately." "Well, he'll need the strength for the delivery." This came from B'Elanna. She was due to give birth about the same time as Chakotay and she was ticked off that he hadn't had to take Lamaze. Harry just smiled. Tuvok still sported a black eye from the last time he disagreed with his wife. Harry turned his attention to his food and ate for a little while then the silence at the table was broken. "Kim to Kim." "Go ahead, Cha." "Um… I'm heading for sickbay. Please meet me there." "What's wrong?" "I- I don't know." Harry raced for the door. "I'm on my way." --- Chakotay made it to sickbay in just a few moments. He was in a great deal of pain. He didn't understand what was wrong. The Holodoc helped him onto the diagnostic bed and ran a few tests. After a few moments, he clucked his teeth and looked at Chakotay. "You're going to be fine, Commander. However, you have gone into labor. I'm going to have to deliver the baby." "But it's early. Will it be okay…" "I wouldn't do it if there were any risk to you or the child, Commander. Now, I'm going to call Lieutenants Kim and Paris." "I commed Harry." "Doctor to Lieutenant Paris. Report to Sickbay." --- Chakotay sighed as Harry stroked his forehead. They'd allowed Harry to be there with him as the Doctor delivered the baby. "You're doing great, Cha. The baby will be here anytime now." Chakotay smiled and closed his eyes. It seemed like the Doctor had been operating for hours, even though he knew it wasn't that long. Harry leaned close and then brushed his lips across his cheek. Then the Doctor spoke up. "Congratulations gentlemen. You're now the proud parents of twins. A boy and a girl." Chakotay's eyes popped open and looked first at the doctor and then Harry. He smiled as Tom held out first Chayton and then Chenoa for him to see. His eyes filled with tears and he whispered a heartfelt prayer of thanks for unexpected joys. --- The End