The BLTS Archive - Cold Comfort #3: Comfortare by Kalita Kasar (kalitafic@hotmail.com) --- Spoilers: Shuttle-Pod One, Precious Cargo Comments: I like diet coke with vanilla. The description of gravimetric field displacement is borrowed from a description used a few years ago in a Trek RPG simulation I was involved in. I don't know if it is accurate or not, but it sounds plausible, so I have used it here. I don't claim to be any kind of expert on techno-babble. Any spelling mistakes are mine I don't have word installed yet, hence no spell check. Part 10 has a body count. Two dead, no one important so I don't think it warrants being called death-fic, but I added the warning anyway. The two crewmen, as far as I know are entirely my own creation, although the name of one of them niggles me as being familiar .that might just be because his name is a derivative of someone I know irl or I may have used his name in something else I've written. Anyway, if he is canon I apologize.lol! Also many thanks and much blame to Brian on this part for the bunny food he sent me.if nerf bats are to be used then he deserves at least a small percentage of the beating :p Archived to EntSTSlash on 07/08/2003. Archived at EntSTCommunity with the author's express permission. --- Comfortare--To strengthen greatly, to reinforce, to console. "The touch of your hand in passing, so light, so swift, / that no-one else suspects it's loving reassurance--/ That touch sustains me through the hardest day." --Marion C Garretty. b. 1917. --- "Your love is comfort in sadness, quietness in tumult, rest in weariness, Hope in despair." --Marrion C. Garretty b. 1917. --- "Did all that stuff really happen?" Charles Tucker III lay spooned against his lover's back in Malcolm's quarters. After an evening at the movies, they had returned to Reed's cabin for a midnight snack and a leisurely session of lovemaking. In the afterglow, both were relaxed and sleepy. "Hmm?" Reed lifted his head from the pillows and glanced over his shoulder. "That stuff on Surrumar..." Tucker clarified. "Seems like some kinda crazy dream now, doesn't it?" "Yeah." Reed rested his head back on the pillows; after a moment he rolled over, gazing into Tucker's eyes. "Trip," he said softly. "We never really talked about that, did we...or about what went on beforehand." His blue-grey eyes clouded for a moment. "I think we should..." Tucker nodded. They had left Surrumar behind about a week ago, and neither man had felt ready, until now to raise the subject. "Yeah, I think we should, too." Malcolm drew a deep breath. "I need to ask you a question that I should have asked at the very beginning but..." Reed sighed. I was too blinded by my own hurt, he thought. "Charles," he went on softly. "Tell me what happened on that planet. With Kaitaama." "Malcolm, you saw what happened..." Tucker began but was silenced with a shake of Reed's head. "I saw," Malcolm said. "I need to hear it...from you. All of it, what happened, how you felt. Everything. Please." He watched as Tucker's eyes clouded with uncertainty and his lover turned onto his back, staring up at the ceiling. "Charles..." Tucker glanced at him and nodded. "Okay," he said softly. "I went on board that ship to repair a stasis pod...you know all about that, the Retelliens gave us that whole crock about Kaitaama bein' a doctor an' all. Anyway, while I was workin' on the pod something went wrong and she woke up..." Tucker sighed. "I couldn't just leave her in there, she was gonna suffocate. I had to let her out...I'm not sorry I did, but I sure wish I hadn't been the one that went over there." Reed sighed and put a hand on Tucker's forearm where it rested across his lover's chest. "Go on," he prompted. Well, bout the first thing she did when she got out was thank me with a crow bar across the back of my head." "Charming!" Reed couldn't stop a snort of laughter. "Yeah." Tucker shook his head. "She wasn't a very nice person. I didn't even like her!" Reed frowned and raised up on one elbow, looking into his lover's eyes. "So...you were stuck with her on board that cargo ship, she tried to beat you senseless...you didn't like her. Yet..." "I know...I know how it sounds," Tucker said. "It sounds crazy and I agree with ya." He sighed. "So anyway, I figured if I repaired that pod and the Retelliens got her back in stasis, they wouldn't have anymore use for me, so I decided it was time I found a way outta there." "You got out, stole an escape pod and piloted it, alien controls and language notwithstanding, to that water planet." Reed smiled and his eyes gleamed with pride. "That was something more than a minor miracle, Mister Tucker." Tucker glanced at his lover and grinned. "I was just doin' whatever I could do to stay alive, Malcolm." his smile faded. "And even then we damn near didn't make it." He bit his lip. "I got the braking thrusters to fire, but it was a little too late. The pod came down hard on the surface. There was some kinda gas venting into the cabin, so we bailed out." He paused and then went on. "If I thought she was nasty before, she proved it after that. She was bossy...bitchy...she expected me t'do everythin', wait on her hand an' foot." "Well, she was a princess, used to having servants at her beck and call...you could have cut her a little slack." "I guess." Tucker looked into Malcolm's eyes. "There was one thing she said that reminded me of you." "Oh? And that was?" Reed traced his thumb across Tucker's lips preventing him from replying for a moment. "I'm glad you were at least thinking of me at some point." "Some point? I was thinkin' of you from the minute I realized those ba...that I was stuck on their ship with no way out." He shook his head. "So anyway, we're on the planet and she's insisting that I let her treat some little scratch I got in the landing. She said: 'You're my only hope for survival on this planet, Mister Tucker, I don't intend to let you die!'" Tucker sighed. "It reminded me of the time you an' I were trapped on shuttle-pod one. It's lucky she reminded me of that...it was the only reason I let her touch me. That an' I decided right then; I wanted to live and come back to you more'n I wanted to be contrary an' risk an infection." "I'm grateful to her for that, then." Tucker's eyes clouded over then, and he went very still. "Then...it happened?" Malcolm prompted. "Yeah, an' I've been askin' myself ever since...why? Why did I do that? I didn't like her, I wasn't attracted to her. Until she kissed me, I wasn't even thinkin' of...that kinda thing, I was only worried about findin' food, an' workin' out some way to contact Enterprise." "The survival instinct is a funny thing, Trip." Malcolm sighed. "I should have realized this before...it's a part of our training...or it was for me. I don't know if Engineers are taught exactly the same things that Ordnance officers are. "You're tellin' me that sex is a part of trainin' in ordnance?" Tucker raised himself on an elbow and met his lover's eyes. "You're kiddin' me!" "Well, not the act itself." Reed chuckled. "But we were told, that sexual arousal is common in a life and death situation. That it's not uncommon to feel that drive even when you feel nothing else." "Damn!" Tucker smiled broadly. "That's right! They mentioned that...I didn't even think of that!" He sat up and looked earnestly into Reed's eyes. "An' I can tell ya I wasn't feelin' anythin' else." "I know." Reed nodded. "I felt that, when we were on Surrumar." He sighed and looked away. "I behaved like a jealous ass," he murmured. "I'm sorry." "No." Tucker put a finger under Reed's chin and made him look up. "Don't ever be sorry for that, Malcolm...I'd be worried if ya weren't jealous. Bein' jealous means you care...that's not somethin' to be sorry about." Reed smiled. "Thank you," he said simply, "For understanding...and now it's my turn." He lowered his eyes for a second and then looked into Tucker's eyes. "About that night on the observation deck." --- Captain Jonathan Archer made his way towards Malcolm Reed's cabin. He frowned deeply, recalling the conversation he'd just had over the sub-space relay. He didn't like having to disturb his two senior officers at this late hour, but he had promised his caller that he would get back to him. He sighed as he stopped outside the armory officer's cabin. Archer sounded the doorchime and waited for an answer. "Come in?" Malcolm's voice called. Archer pressed the door control and stepped into the room. He glanced around and nodded to Tucker who was seated by Malcolm's desk and then he looked at Reed who was sitting on the edge of his bed. He could almost sense the after-passage of quick movement and he suppressed a smile. "You didn't need to move on my account," he said to Tucker and was amused to see a hint of red touch the commander's cheeks. He sobered after a moment, and glanced from one to the other. "I've just had a call from D'Iarin," he said. Both men shifted position and glanced at each other. "It seems the Surrumaran council wants to hold an enquiry into D'Naida's actions," the captain said. "They want you both to give evidence." Malcolm swallowed hard and his eyes sought Tucker's. "Y'mean, we'd havta go back?" Tucker asked. "Yes. If you want to. Trip, Malcolm, I'm not going to make either of you do anything you're not comfortable with." "Thank you, Captain." Reed's voice was low, and his eyes were clouded with worry as he went on. "I don't relish the idea of going back." Archer sighed and nodded. "I told D'Iarin I'll have an answer for him by morning...would you like some time to talk it over?" "Yeah, that'd be good. Thanks, Cap'n." "All right, I'll expect your answer by 0800." Archer nodded to them both. "Whatever you decide, is fine with me. Goodnight." Archer moved to the door and let himself out. He was well aware of what he was asking of the pair, and he personally wouldn't blame them at all if they decided they never wanted to set foot on Surrumaran soil again. --- Jonathan Archer was in his ready room the following morning reading reports and trying not to think about the decision he'd left with Trip and Malcolm a few hours earlier. He glanced up when the door-chime sounded and turned to face the door. "Come," he called. He wasn't surprised to see Tucker and Reed step into the room together. With a nod, he got to his feet. "Good morning," he said. "Cap'n," Tucker said with an answering nod. Reed remained silent, but acknowledged the captain's greeting with a bob of his head. There was a brief silence and then Tucker spoke. "We've decided what to do about this Surrumaran thing," he said. "We want to go back, Cap'n." A pause as the two made eye contact and Reed nodded slightly. "But we wanna make some things real clear first." "Go ahead," Archer glanced from one to the other. "We hafta be together," Tucker said. "And...I'd be real happy if we didn't have to spend nights on the planet. But...if we do, I'd really like it if the room I wake up in every mornin' is the same one I fall asleep in at night." Archer nodded his agreement. "I'll make that clear to D'Iarin," he said. "While you're here, I've got a few stipulations I'm going to make." He grinned as two pairs of eyes snapped to his face. "I had a feeling you'd choose to go back, so I gave it some thought. One, we all go to the planet together, and we all leave together; no one gets left behind for any reason." He saw them both nod. "Two, none of the Surrumaran will be permitted to have physical contact with any crew-member without his or her consent; and three, we're there as a courtesy to the Surrumaran council. If we feel threatened in any way, or they don't uphold our terms...I'm ready to take affirmative action against them." Tucker let out a breath. "Thanks, Sir." Reed added his agreement and Archer nodded. "All right, I'll contact D'Iarin immediately." He turned to his communications console as the two men left. --- I'm not entirely satisfied with this chapter.perhaps it's just too light and nice LOL.but here it is anyway. --- "Are you sure we're doin' the right thing?" Tucker glanced at his lover as they stepped out of the captain's ready room. He kept his voice low, for Malcolm's ears only, and looked into Reed's eyes. "Yes," Malcolm said softly. "It will be all right, Trip." For a brief moment, his fingers grazed the back of Tucker's hand before he stepped away from his lover and moved to his console. Tucker watched Malcolm walk across the bridge and then he collected himself and made his way to the lift. As the doors closed, Tucker studied Malcolm's face in profile, noting the tension in the lieutenant's jaw. It was subtle, but it was there and only someone who knew him as well as Tucker did would have noticed it. The engineer bit down on his bottom lip as his view of his lover was cut off. {I really hope you know what you're doin', Malcolm,} he thought as he pushed the button for engineering. He couldn't be sure afterwards if it was just the fact that he was already wound up with thinking of what lay ahead of them on Surrumar, or if some other circumstance of fate had conspired, but the morning turned sour almost as soon as he walked into engineering. It started out with one of his staff being injured when a relay she was working on blew out unexpectedly. The young woman received severe burns to her hands and face in the resulting arc. Tucker had only just got her taken to sickbay and began to fill out a report about the accident when he was commed by Travis Mayweather. "Commander, I'm having some problems with power feeds," Travis said. "Yeah! I'm on it, Travis!" Tucker winced, knowing his tone was sharper than usual. "I'll do my best to get it sorted out within the next hour or two." He sighed as he closed the comm link. Right about now he could have really used a quick visit with his lover. Tucker closed his eyes and rested his forehead against the warm metal of the warp reactor, recalling the brief and hardly noticeable touch of Reed's hand on his before they parted on the bridge that morning. He sighed and pushed away from the reactor, glancing at the chrono. Another hour and he could meet Malcolm for lunch. He turned to a computer screen, frowning over the readouts. "C'mon, darlin'," he murmured to the engines. "Tell ol' Trip what's worryin ya huh?" The problem was close enough to being resolved by the time his meal break came, that Tucker felt comfortable leaving it with Rostov. He made a detour past sickbay on his way to the mess-hall to check in on Markovich. The crewman was resting, her hands swathed in bandages and the left side of her face coated with some noxious looking green goop. Tucker moved to the bedside and smiled down at her. "Hey, Dell," he said softly, "How're you doin'?" "Hi Commander," Markovich said. Her speech was a little slurred and he guessed that Phlox had her on some strong pain relief. "I'm going to be okay, the doctor says." She tried to smile and then grimaced as the movement of facial muscles caused the burns to sting. "He says I should be back at work in a few days." "Well, there's no rush," Tucker said. "You just rest up and concentrate on gettin' better." "Yessir." Markovich gave him a half smile this time. Tucker patted her on the shoulder and turned to leave. On his way out, he was met by Phlox. "I heard that you and Lieutenant Reed have decided to return to Surrumar," the doctor said. "Yeah," Tucker replied. "Malcolm thinks it's the right thing to do, even though I can tell he's..." Tucker trailed off, unsure how much he should say to Phlox without Malcolm being present. "Undoubtedly it is a daunting prospect," Phlox said, "But if you want my opinion, I agree with the lieutenant." His open features drew into the closest thing Tucker had ever seen to a scowl from Phlox. "That young female needs to be made aware that her actions concerning yourself and Mister Reed were completely unacceptable!" Tucker raised an eyebrow. He'd known that the doctor was not happy about the situation on the alien planet, but he hadn't realized the depth of the Denobulan's anger. He nodded and glanced towards Markovich. "Is Dell gonna be okay?" he asked. "Oh yes, in time." Phlox smiled and nodded. "Burns are easy enough to treat. She'll need ongoing physical therapy, but she will be back at work within the week. Don't worry." "Thanks, Doc." Tucker hesitated and then added. "For everythin'." The doctor nodded an acknowledgement, his expression showing that he knew the thanks was for more than just his care of Markovich. "My pleasure, Commander." Malcolm was already sitting at their usual table, with a bowl of soup in front of him when Tucker finally arrived in the mess-hall. Tucker ordered a cup of coffee from the resequencer and carried it over to the table. Reed looked up and smiled when Tucker joined him. "You're late," he chided playfully. "Yeah, sorry." Tucker sat down and rubbed at his face with one hand. "I've had a hell of a mornin' in engineerin'," he said. "I couldn't help noticing you were a trifle sharp with Travis over the comms?" The offer to let him vent was unmistakable, and Tucker sighed. "Dell Markovich got hurt when a relay burned out," he muttered. "She's in sickbay." "Ah." Reed took a mouthful of soup. "Serious?" "Burns. Both hands and her face. Phlox says she'll be okay." Reed reached across the table and his fingers touched Tucker's. "Sorry," he said. Tucker nodded and let his breath out on a sigh. "Thanks." He looked into Reed's eyes. "I guess I'm just a little wound up." He turned his hand over and linked his finger's with Reed's for a moment before the contact was broken. "Mind if I join you?" Both men looked up to find Hoshi standing by their table. "Sure." "Please." "Thanks." Hoshi sat down. "You'll never guess what happened," she said as she picked up a fork and began to eat the salad she had brought to the table with her. "Probably not," Reed said, "so why not save us the effort and tell us whatever it is you're bursting to share." Hoshi made a face at him across the table and rolled her eyes at Tucker. "Honestly," she said. "I don't know what you see in such a dull stick in the mud." Tucker almost choked on a mouthful of coffee, and was forced to quickly set the mug down. He glanced around and then met her eyes. "So what wouldn't we guess happened?" "Well, you remember when I was talking to you on Surrurmar the day that...um.." Hoshi trailed off suddenly and met Tucker's eyes. "You know what, maybe I shouldn't...I mean maybe you don't want to be reminded..." Tucker shook his head. "It's okay, Hoshi. I don't mind talkin' about it." Sato nodded and her lovely features softened with relief. "Well, you know when I was talking to you, and I had all those packages?" Tucker nodded. "When you were taken, I dropped them and ran. I didn't even think of going back for them. I forgot all about them because of all that went on after that...but...anyway, apparently the captain has been in contact with the planet again and...This is really great...they sent the packages I lost to the ship this morning. Something about a gesture of good faith. They even replaced a couple of items that got broken when I dropped them." Tucker and Reed glanced at each other across the table. "That's great, Hoshi." Tucker smiled and took another sip of coffee. "That's real nice of 'em." "Is it true that we're going back to Surrumar?" Hoshi bit her lip and looked from one to the other. "I don't pry...but being the communications officer I...hear things, you know." Reed nodded. "Yes, we're going back." He looked at Tucker. "It was our choice," he said. "We need to resolve a few issues there." Hoshi sighed. "I think that's really brave of you," she said. "I don't think I would want to do that if I was in the same position, you know? I'd probably just want to send a written deposition or something." Tucker chuckled. "For someone who just accidentally overheard, you sure seem to know a lot about why we're goin' back." He laughed outright at Sato's obvious confused embarrassment. "It's okay, Hoshi." Reed grinned from his side of the table. "It will probably be common knowledge soon enough anyway." Tucker sighed and glanced at the chrono on the wall. Time had gone by too fast. He shifted in his seat. "I guess I should be heading back," he said reluctantly. He looked across the table at Reed. "See you tonight." Reed got to his feet. "I'd best be going too," he said. "I'll walk with you." They said goodbye to Hoshi and left the mess together. In the corridor, Reed took hold of Tucker's elbow and pulled him to a stop. After glancing both ways along the hall he pushed his lover against the wall and pressed close to him. "I can see you need something to keep you going until 17:00," he whispered. "Am I that obvious?" "Only to me..." Reed breathed an instant before his mouth captured Tucker's in a tender kiss full of passion and promise. His tongue flickered across the engineer's lips, seeking entry until they parted, allowing him in. Reed explored his lover's mouth and one hand made its way between them, gently massaging the growing hardness he found between Tucker's thighs. He poured all his love and desire for his lover into the kiss and when he broke away they were both breathing hard. "Now go keep that engine purrin' Mister Tuckah," Malcolm said in a playful imitation of the engineer's accent. "I want it firing on all 'thrusters' when our shifts end..." "Oh yeah," Tucker sighed. "You can rest assured o' that, Lewtenent!" Later that afternoon, the captain announced that they were making a change of course, and instructed Travis Mayweather to lay in a course for Surrumar. --- As Enterprise cruised through space en-route to Surrumar, most of the alpha and beta shifts were asleep, or at least enjoying their off time. Malcolm Reed was asleep, alone in his quarters, but his rest was fitful and he turned restlessly. He dreamed that he was back on Surrumar. The room was the same as he remembered it, and he was alone. {I thought we told the captain that we must be accommodated together} Reed moved to the windows, where a tentative touch revealed they were force-field protected as they had been previously. Reed swallowed hard and turned in a circle. Again, he found no exit from the room. It was exactly as it had been the last time he was on Surrumar. "Trip?" he moved through the three rooms finding it all identical to his uneasy memories. "D'Naida?" "Hello, Reed." Her voice. Malcolm froze, his blood running cold. "Let me out of this room!" The demand sounded feeble even to his own ears. "You know our terms...you can't keep me here." "I can do what I like...I can reach you, even now, Reed. Don't return to Surrumar; You will regret it." "I'm not afraid of you!" "You should be." "There's nothing you can do to me..." He looked around, {This is only a dream,} he told himself. "You can't hurt me or anyone else. Let me out!" "I can hurt more than you realize. I have already." A scene opened up before him, a young female crewman working in engineering. A sudden flash and the air was filled with her cries of pain. Reed frowned. Reed watched as Tucker ran to the young crewman's aid. "That's not true! It was just an accident." "It's as true as I can make it. I could easily change who was hurt..." The scene changed and it was Tucker writhing in pain on the floor. "No!" Reed woke with a start. He breathed a sigh of relief to find himself in his own cabin aboard Enterprise. "Only a dream," he whispered to the empty room. He glanced to his side with a frown, missing the familiar warmth of Tucker pressed against him. Although the bed was really not large enough, they had spent most nights since returning to the ship, together. The close confines had been comforting the first few nights and Reed had grown used to the nightly struggle to roll Tucker off of him so that he could breathe. He sat up, groggily looking around. "Charles?" Images from his nightmare flashed across his mind and had Reed scrambling from the bed and frantically looking for discarded clothing. He dressed in the sweats and soft t-shirt he'd worn earlier and hunted for shoes. Mounting panic made his hands shake as he pulled on a pair of socks not caring whether they were his own. He found his boots and put them on, relieved that he got them on the right feet by instinct. His heart was still pounding uncomfortably as he left his cabin and began a systematic search for his lover, beginning with Tucker's cabin. {There's no need to panic unduly,} he told himself firmly. {Until you're certain there is a problem, it is best to remain calm,} but his heart skipped a beat when there was no answer to the door-chime, and entering the access code revealed an unoccupied cabin and a neatly made, unslept in bed. Reed closed his eyes and fought to remain calm. {Where would he go?} --- Tucker stood by the large viewing port on the observation deck watching stars stream by outside. So close they seemed like he could touch them, yet he knew that was an illusion. He stared, losing himself in the streaking slivers of light. He knew the dynamic behind gravimetric field displacement that caused the illusion that the ship was racing through stars without colliding, but in reality those stars were far more distant than they seemed. He pressed his fingers to the cool transparent surface though and smirked at his own folly. Sometimes it was nice to let imagination take over. He sighed and turned to glance over his shoulder at the sofa. Why had he come here? It had been almost painful to walk through that door. Maybe that was why he'd done it. Maybe he was just a glutton for punishment. Malcolm had explained to him that what happened here between himself and Archer was just a moment, that it meant nothing; that if anything it had been confusing, and there was nothing between the captain and his lover. Tucker accepted that, but the remains of pain were there, and he had come here when he couldn't sleep. Tucker knew his decision to be there was deliberate. The engineer shook his head slightly and turned back to the stars. Their cool blue light was soothing and watching them stopped his mind from churning round and round concerning their destination. He drew a deep breath and let it out slowly. The sound of the doors sliding open had him turn around. Malcolm walked towards him and Tucker smiled. "Hi," he said softly. "I've been looking everywhere for you," Reed chided, moving to encircle Tucker's waist with his arms. They both stared out through the window in silence, Reed's cheek pressed against Trip's chest. "Sorry, didn't wanna wake ya," Tucker said. "I couldn't sleep; thought the view might help." "Why here?" Reed's question was low, spoken on a breath. "I dunno...biggest window I guess." "Charles?" Reed released his lover and Tucker turned to look at him. "Are you all right?" He studied the man carefully, as though looking for physical injuries; his blue-grey eyes reflected the starlight. Shadows danced in their depths that caused Tucker to frown. "I'm fine, Malcolm..." he paused and looked into the haunted gaze of his lover. "Are you?" "Yeah," Reed nodded and moved towards the sofa, drawing Tucker with him. "I just...needed to know you're all right." He sat and drew Tucker down with him. "I love you," he breathed and leaned in to kiss Tucker's mouth tenderly. Passion sparked quickly, and Tucker returned the kiss with heat. Tongues met and sparred between parted lips, probing, exploring and a soft moan came from the back of Reed's throat. He pushed Tucker down on the sofa. "Want you," Reed whispered. "Here...let's make this ours." Tucker whimpered as Reed's hands worked their way under his shirt. He squirmed. "At least lock the damn door, Mal..." his words were stopped by a hot, hungry mouth and a low toned growl. "Already did, now just cooperate would you?" Slowly, Reed pushed Tucker's shirt up until his hands and mouth had free access to his lovers nipples. He sucked and nibbled at each in turn and then made his way lower, burning kisses into the heated flesh of Tucker's belly. He came to the waistband of the loose fitting pants Tucker wore and hooked his fingers into it, easing the fabric over the straining cock and baring the organ to his attentions. Reed slipped to his knees on the floor and ran his tongue along the length of Tucker's shaft from base to tip. He coated the twitching organ with saliva, then blew a gentle breath across the wetness he had created. Tucker let out a shuddering groan. "Oh gawd, Malcolm, that's so fucking good. More." He bucked, his body rising off the sofa as the mouth of his lover engulfed him. "Yeah! ungh!" Malcolm thrilled at the impassioned cries of his lover as he worked his mouth along the length of the pulsing shaft and pulled back, sucking hard as he tasted the sweet essence of Tucker's need. He let the thick organ out of his mouth and closed one hand around it, concentrating the attentions of his mouth on the sensitive head. He teased the frenulum with the tip of his tongue and moaned as Tucker squirmed in ecstasy. He swallowed the shaft into his mouth once more and set to work at bringing his lover to a soul shattering climax. "No! no Malc...olm...! Not yet..." Trip cried, but a moment, later his cries changed. "Oh gawd Oh gaaawwd! Yeah!" He strained upwards into the hot, eager mouth of his lover, eyes closed as he set his teeth into his lower lip. "ungh...yeah ...yeah!" Reed drew back to tease the tip again, finding that extra sensitive ridge of skin with the tip of his tongue, he teased it, while his hand stroked the shaft once...twice and as the first ripples of orgasm pulsed through Tucker's cock, he took it back into his mouth, gently sucking the release from his lover until Trip subsided with a moan onto the sofa and lay sobbing for breath. Reed let his lover out of his mouth and got up from the floor, moving to cover Tucker's body with his own, and kiss him tenderly. Tucker flicked his tongue across Malcolm's lips, tasting his own essence and sighed with pleasure. "I love you," he breathed. "Love you so much, Malcolm." "You're just saying that because I'm good in bed," Reed teased. He nuzzled the engineer's cheek. "Shall we remove ourselves to somewhere a little more...private? I'm certainly not finished with you yet, but...I wouldn't like to have to explain the mess." Tucker grinned and gently shoved Reed off of him. "Okay..." he began to rearrange his clothing. "Such eagerness," Reed quipped with a grin. "Yeah, ya bring out the slut in me," Tucker leaned in for a swift kiss before he stood up. "Yer place or mine, sugah?" "Sugah?" Reed got to his feet and dealt a sharp slap to Tucker's ass. "You'll pay for that...now move, Commander...before I am forced to pick you up and carry you to my bed." "Yers then...okay..." Tucker walked towards the doors, reaching to link his fingers with Malcolm's as they went. He felt comforted, protected and cherished, and he liked it. He liked it a lot. --- As the landing party stepped down from shuttle pod one, Reed glanced around uneasily. They had arrived in orbit of Surumar the previous afternoon, but spent the night on board Enterprise; Captain Archer had decided it was better to arrive on the planet early in the morning, rather than land and immediately face the prospect of spending the night. It was a considerate gesture and one that Reed appreciated deeply. He took up position behind the captain and T'Pol, and was glad to be flanked on one side by his lover and on the other by Ensign Tanner who'd been asked to accompany the party as an added security measure. For once, the captain was taking no chances, even to the point of politely declining the Surrumaran's offer to transport his party to the planet in favour of using a shuttle-pod. At the edge of the landing bay, D'Iarin stood, flanked by two young male Surrumaran. D'Naida was nowhere in sight, and Reed let some of the tension in his shoulders dissipate. As they moved towards the welcoming party, Reed felt Tucker's fingers brush against his in a gesture of reassurance. He allowed a faint smile and a glance at his lover before he returned his attention to the captain. "Greetings, Captain Archer," D'Iarin stepped forward, and Reed noticed that he kept his hands carefully behind his back, making no attempt to offer the tactile greeting the Surrumaran had employed on their first visit. "D'Iarin," Archer acknowledged. There was no customary offer to shake hands. Reed watched, noting the strain in Archer's face. D'Iarin turned to T'Pol and lifted one hand palm outwards and the two middle fingers splayed apart, but did not touch the Vulacn, even though the hand gesture was repeated by T'Pol. "Live long, and prosper," D'Iarin said. "Live long, and Prosper," T'Pol replied levelly. "It is some time since I met a member of your race," D'Iarin said, "However, my diplomatic missions have brought me in contact with Vulcans on many occassions. I trust that you will find your second visit to us pleasant. T'Pol inclined her head, but didn't say anything. D'Iarin turned his attention to the rest of the party. "Commander Tucker, Lieutenant Reed. I am glad you decided to return and assist the council with this inquiry. May I take this opportunity to offer our sincere apologies for the treatment you received here previously." Reed nodded, and Tucker muttered something that sounded like thanks. Reed looked around and then met the Surrumaran's eyes. "D'Naida is in custody," D'Iarin said, and Reed started. He'd been wondering about that since they arrived, but to have his unspoken question answered in such a way made his senses prickle with alarm. Could D'Iarin read his mind as easily as D'Naida seemed to? He frowned and looked away. "Won't you all come inside?" D'Iarin turned and led the way into the hall that they had been taken to before. "We have prepared food..." "We're not really very hungry," Archer interrupted, "perhaps you could show us to our guest quarters?" He glanced back at Reed and Tucker. "We'd appreciate the opportunity to rest before the inquiry commences." D'Iarin hesitated, a small frown touching his features but he bowed slightly and the frown was smoothly replaced with a smile. "As you wish, Captain. Please, follow me." As they moved through the complex, Reed looked about, taking careful stock of the surroundings, mapping it in his head in case he should need to know possible escape routes later. He listened with half an ear to the comments made between D'Iarin and the other members of the landing party, but his mind was more preoccupied with tactical concerns. He was pleased to note that Tanner seemed to be conducting some reconnaissance of his own. They halted outside a door, and D'Iarin turned around. "Commander Tucker, This is the room you will share with the Lieutenant." he handed Tucker a small rectangular disk. "This will give you access to enter and leave the room--to arm the forcefields on the windows if you feel the need..." The Surrumaran smiled. "You will, of course have complete access to replicate anything you wish. Merely speak the word." He gestured for the rest of the party to follow him and Reed and Tucker were left standing outside the door. "Well, this is it," Tucker said. He glanced at the door, and then looked into Reed's eyes. "Ready?" "I suppose so..." Reed watched the captain and T'Pol enter their room with Tanner at their heels. "I just..." he shook his head. "Come on, let's get this over with." He waited while Tucker pressed the disk into a recess that was made for it on the wall and the door slid open. Tucker took a half step towards the doorway and then he halted. He retrieved the disk and stared at it lying in his palm for a moment. Raising his head, he met his lover's eyes and reached for Malcolm's hand. "Together," he said firmly. Reed nodded and tried not to crush Tucker's hand as they stepped across the threshold. Both men started and spun around when the door slid shut behind them. Swallowing hard, Reed let a small snort of laughter escape. "Well...we got in..." He coughed slightly, his throat uncomfortably dry. Tucker nodded and pressed the disk into the corresponding recess beside the door. Both of them laughed when the door immediately opened again. "Okay," Tucker let his breath out with a sigh. "We know we can get out when we want." Reed closed his eyes and moved to sit on the only bed in the main room. He passed a hand across his face, rubbing at his eyes. "God, Trip," he muttered. "I didn't think this would be so bloody hard." "Hey," Tucker moved to sit beside him. "We're in this together, Malcolm. I'm gonna be right here with ya the whole time." He took his lover into his arms. "We're gonna get through this." Reed nodded and looked up, to meet Tucker's eyes. "I know. I just can't help thinking that...she may try to hurt us...you...I..." he cut himself short of telling Tucker about the disturbing dream he'd had a few nights ago, he didn't think it was necessary to worry his lover with details. They had enough to think about as it was. He managed a weak smile. "Sorry...I'll try to pull myself together." Tucker drew him closer. "Ya don't need t'be sorry, Malcolm. I'm feelin' this just as much as you are. I promise ya we'll be okay, it'll all be over by tomorrow; we don't have to stay for the findings, just give our side of the story and move on." He pressed a kiss to Reed's forehead. "We'll get through it. Together." --- The Surrumaran Council met in a large, open chamber that reminded Trip of old pictures he had seen of the Roman forums in history books. Although there was not anything near the number of people he might have expected to sit on the bench that ran half way around the circular chamber, he still found it daunting to walk into the centre of the room and take his position on a small stand there. He looked at the three male Surrumaran in front of him, and then his eyes sought the captain and other members of the landing party. Tucker met the captain's eyes, receiving a small nod of reassurance from his commanding officer. Trip took a deep breath and turned his attention to the council member who was speaking to him. "Please do not let this occasion overwhelm you, Commander, we ask only that you tell us as completely as you can, what occurred when you last visited our planet." Tucker nodded and drew a deep breath. He shifted his weight from one foot to the other and then began to speak. "Enterprise came here in response to a distress call. We were asked to assist in repairin' a mal-functioning water purification' unit." He paused and looked at each of the councilors in turn. "I didn't really think y'needed our help. This planet obviously has the resources to do those kinda repairs." He watched as the three males exchanged glances and then he went on. "The day we arrived, Malcolm was separated from our group, and we didn't see him again until we left." "I repaired the water purifier, and then I was getting set to take some shore-leave and look around when...I found mahself detained...against...against..." Tucker bowed his head as an odd, fuzzy sensation assailed his senses. He closed his eyes, struggling to regain the train of thought he had very nearly lost. "Against mah will." The engineer leaned one hand on the railing in front of him and shook his head. "We...I was forced to relive some experiences from the past that were..." Tucker pressed his fingers to one temple. "Painful to me. I was told that this was necessary. Personally I thought I was just some kinda specimen or...experiment." He raised his head. "I was told I...couldn't leave. I was told I...couldn't see...M..." Damn what was wrong with him? His mouth just didn't seem to want to form the words. He looked at the captain and shook his head in answer to the concern he saw in the sea-green eyes that locked with his. He drew a breath and let it out slowly. "Are you all right, Commander?" One of the councilors asked. "I...yeah...I think so..." Tucker furrowed his brow, chasing down the suddenly elusive memories of his time in the cell the last time they had come to this planet. "Malcolm...we weren't allowed to see or speak to each other, and this...D'Naida was makin' both of us relive things that we needed to work out between us. After...the last time...I guess I lost hope. I figured that Malcolm would never wanna speak to me again. He woulda seen the whole deal and known how much of a louse I was and..." Tucker dropped his gaze to his hands. "I didn't eat, or drink much...I think I spent most of th'time asleep after that." "Anyway, at some point, the cap'n must've found a way to get to us, 'cause I remember wakin' up in sickbay aboard Enterprise and...and it was over." The three males conferred briefly, and one of them tapped information into a small device in front of him. After a moment the eldest of the three looked at Tucker. "Do you have anything else you wish to add?" "I don't think so..." Tucker shook his head slightly. "I told ya...everythin'." Had he though? Was there something he had missed? Tucker frowned and searched his mind, unable to decide if he had told the whole story or not. After a moment, he shrugged. "Yeah. I think that's all." "You may step down, Commander. Thank you." Tucker nodded and moved off the stand. He turned and looked back at the small podium for a moment, his brow creased in thought and then he shook his head. The odd dizzy sensation had stopped, but there was an uneasy feeling that he had said something...or left something unsaid, that he should have mentioned. He made his way to where Archer sat with T'Pol and Phlox. "Trip?" The captain's studied him and Tucker smiled. "I'm okay, Cap'n," he said as he took a seat beside Archer. "I just wish this was over so we could get outta here." He felt the warmth of the captain's hand on his shoulder for a moment, and then the doors of the hearing room opened and Malcolm came in. The lieutenant's posture was tense, shoulders back and his spine ramrod straight. He looked like he was about to face the courts marshall rather than present evidence to an inquiry where he was the victim. Tucker tried to make eye contact, but Reed kept his eyes fixed on the three councillors. His gaze was steady and intense, never wavering. --- Malcolm Reed felt as though his legs were made of ice, or lead or some other heavy, cold, and difficult to move substance. He dragged his feet towards the stand in the centre of the room, and mounted onto it with difficulty. His heart thudded in his chest ponderous, beats that felt as though they shook his whole frame. His head felt fuzzy, as though he'd suddenly come down with a cold or something and he maintained his focus on the Surrumaran Councillors only by dint of his stubborn will. He straightened his shoulders even further when he stepped up onto the podium and blinked heavy eyelids as he waited for the Councilor to speak. "Lieuteeeeeen-n-n-n-nant Reed. Malcolm frowned, the voice of the Surrumaran sounded distorted, the harmonic tones so pleasant to the ear normally, struck a discordant tone and Reed winced. It was like listening to a log file that had been played back too slowly. He shook his head and inclined his head forward a little, struggling to make out the words. "Tell us in your own words, as acuuuuurrrrraaaately aaas you caaaaaannnn whaaaat happened..." Reed closed his eyes. The discordant sounds had the effect of making his head spin, and he couldn't think. "Tell...tell you...what?" "whaaaaat ha-ha-haaaaaapeeenned?" Reed felt his stomach lurch. He felt suddenly very ill and he couldn't remember where he was, or why he was there. He stared stupidly at the faces around him and his eyes sought out the one face that was familiar to him. "Trrrrriiiiiiip?" Malcolm felt himself falling into the whirling morass that was his confused mind and he slumped to the floor. PART 6 The room seemed to explode with action and noise. Reed was aware of it, but everything seemed disconnected and distant to him. People crowded around him, calling his name. Hands touched him, lifting him to a sitting position. He let his head droop forward, lacking the strength to look up. He didn't understand what was happening or why he felt so dreadful, but he was content to leave that problem in the hands of others. A hand brushed across his forehead. A familiar, intimate touch that he recognized and welcomed. His lover. Trip was with him; as long as Trip was there, everything would be all right. He struggled with the effort to speak and managed to whisper his lover's name. "Charles..." "I'm here, darlin'," the response was immediate and reassuring. Reed sighed and allowed his eyes to slip closed. --- "Doc?" Tucker looked up into the concerned face of the ship's physician. "It's all right, Commander." Phlox met the engineer's eyes. "I will need to take him back to the ship to determine what has caused his sudden collapse." Phlox looked up, searching for the captain amongst the people standing around. Archer nodded and then turned to the councilors. "I want to know what the hell's going on!" His voice was sharp with anger as he confronted D'Iarin. "You gave me an undertaking that my people would be safe!" "I am sorry, Captain." D'Iarin looked as concerned and confused by the events as anyone. He shook his head. "I do not know how this has happened."D'Naida ought not to be able to influence anyone from her..." "Are you telling me that D'Naida's responsible for this?" Archer's face clouded with fury and he took a step forward. He was restrained by Tucker, who put a hand on his arm. "Cap'n, this isn't gonna solve anythin' we hafta work out what happened to Malcolm. Maybe D'Iarin didn't have anythin' t'do with it...or couldn't have done anythin' to prevent it." Archer tensed and for a moment it seemed as though he might shake Tucker off. He glared into D'Iarin's eyes for a few seconds and then he relaxed with a brief nod. "All right." The captain turned to Tucker. "All right." Tucker spun around to Phlox. "Let's get Mal..." He trailed off with a gasp and his hands went to his head. "Trip?" Archer was at his side in an instant. "My head," Tucker moaned. He staggered to Malcolm's side. "Malcolm..." The engineer reached a hand towards his lover and dropped to his knees. "Make it stop! She's hurtin' him...she..." Tucker put a hand on Reed's forehead and instantly his face twisted with agony. He cried out between clenched teeth and shook his head violently. "She's...hurtin'..." Tucker wrapped his arms around his lover and pulled him close. "I'm here, Malcolm..." He cried out one last time and then he fell into unconsciousness. Archer rounded on D'Iarin. "I want you to transport them to my ship. NOW!" "I would advise against that, Captain." D'Iarin's amber eyes were troubled as he glanced from Archer to the two fallen crew members and back. "Removing these men from the planet might very well mean their deaths. I know you do not trust us, Captain; in your position I would no doubt feel the same way, but I must insist that you stay here and allow my people to treat them." "I..." Archer shook his head."Phlox..." The captain frowned and shook his head again. He took a half step towards the doctor as a wave of nausea assailed him. "What's going on?" Phlox reached to steady the captain and his blue eyes flashed with anger as he glared at D'Iarin."What is happening to them?" He had scanned Tucker and Reed and now he ran the scanner over Archer as well. "I'm reading extremely erratic brain activity..." "They are under telepathic attack." T'Pol stepped forward. "I too, am affected; however Vulcans are trained in resisting such things." Her dark eyes turned to D'Iarin. "I suggest you take action to contain this situation before..." For the first time she faltered. She blinked and pulled herself together. "Before it escalates." Archer passed a hand across his forehead. "T'Pol," he gasped. "Go back to the ship; I'm putting you in charge." "Wait!" D'Iarin moved over to T'Pol and held out a hand to her. "Please..." Raising one eyebrow, the sub-commander placed her hand in D'Iarin's. D'Iarin tensed and drew a gasping breath. "By the seven stars!" He broke the contact with T'Pol and spun to face the councilors. "Shield them!" He waved a hand at Tucker and Reed and then turned to meet Phlox' eyes. "I don't know how this has occurred," he said. "But we will do everything in our power to assist your fellows!" As he spoke, the Surrumaran moved to Archer's side and took hold of his hand. "Forgive me, Captain, for breaching your terms, but I have no choice." He clasped Archer's hand for a moment, muttering to himself in an unintelligible language and then, with a nod, he let go the captain's hand. Archer rubbed the back of his neck as though to ease tension and blinked into D'Iarin's eyes. "Thank you..." he said in a puzzled tone."How did you..." The confusion and nausea left him as suddenly as it started. "It is an old technique, Captain, one that has been known to my people for many generations." "Can't you...do that for Trip and Malcolm?" "I'm afraid not. Their condition is much worse and will require more intensive treatment." Archer frowned and nodded, watching as the councilors gathered around Tucker and Reed. Phlox hovered nearby, keeping a careful eye on what the Surrumaran were doing, but for the most part, he allowed them to work uninterrupted. "We'll stay until you can stabilize them," Archer said." He glanced at T'Pol. "Go back to Enterprise and wait for my instructions." T'Pol inclined her head and turned to walk in the direction of the landing bay. --- D'Iarin paced the length of his office and glanced at Captain Archer. His eyes were troubled and he clasped his hands together, wringing them as he considered what to say. Malcolm and Trip had been transferred to a room inside the main complex where they remained under the care of Phlox and the three councilors who had conducted the inquiry. "I am at a loss to explain this, Captain." D'Iarin shook his head. "I didn't know that D'Naida was..." He sighed and turned to face Archer. "Captain, the Surrumaran are touch-telepaths. Usually we cannot establish a strong telepathic link without touching the person we wish to communicate with or...influence..." he hurried on. "Surrumaran never use our abilities for harm. It is not in our nature!" Archer frowned. "You don't call what has happened to my crewmen harm?" "Yes...yes, I do." D'Iarin's face was so filled with regret and horror that Archer relented a little. "Several generations ago, our scientists began to notice an...aberration in the genome of our people. Occasionally, young were--are born that have abnormal abilities. They can communicate telepathically, with or without the need for touch. Touch, for them, merely creates a stronger link." D'Iarin sighed. "It would appear that D'Naida is one such individual." Archer nodded. "You must have known that?" "No, I didn't. I swear to you, Captain Archer, had I known I would certainly have taken measures to ..." He trailed off, shaking his head. "D'Naida has been very successful in hiding her abilities from me." Archer sighed. "All right, I'll accept that. But...what do you plan to do about it? What are you going to do for my men? Can you help them?" "I believe we can." D'Iarin nodded. "I have called in some of the best psychologists on my planet, and the strongest telepaths. I am confident they can undo the damage that has been done. --- Sub-commander T'Pol sat in the captain's chair on the bridge of Enterprise. Her outward appearance was serene and collected as usual, and she gave no hint to the turmoil that roiled in her mind. A battle was waged on the mental plane. T'Pol had become aware of the attack shortly after Commander Tucker gave his evidence at the inquiry. It had begun as a niggling feeling of unease and increased gradually to the extent that it had distracted her for several minutes as she worked quickly to establish a barrier against the persistent assault on her thoughts. By the time she had effectively blocked the barrage of violence and confusion, Lieutenant Reed and Commander Tucker lay unconscious on the floor of the hearing room and Captain Archer was demanding to know what was happening to them. T'Pol blinked and glanced around the bridge. It was tiring, battling against this attack, and it had not relented. If anything, the waves of violent thought had grown more frequent, and she was aware that a second...and then a third mind had joined against her defences. With a sigh, T'Pol looked towards the tactical station, manned now by Ensign Tanner. He monitored his console quietly. The ship had been placed at tactical alert shortly after her return. T'Pol felt a surge of anger as she gazed at him and her eyes darkened with it before she looked away. She turned her attention to the planet on the view screen. Anger, white hot and insistent assailed her. She knew with one part of her mind that it came from outside of herself, and yet, it was a part of her. She blinked. "Ensign Tanner," she said levelly. "Arm the phase canons and target the main complex on the surface." "Sub-Commander?" Tanner looked up sharply. The captain, Commander Tucker, Lieutenant Reed, and Doctor Phlox were inside that building. T'Pol turned cold eyes to him. "I issued an order, Ensign." Tanner nodded. "Arming phase canons," he murmured, tapping controls. --- In D'Iarin's office, a small console beeped quietly and the super-intendant turned to it, pressing a few controls. A screen lit up with the face of a young female Surrumaran. "Super-intendant," the woman said. "I was told to inform you that Enterprise has armed weapons and is targeting the main complex." D'Iarin frowned and glanced over his shoulder at Archer. "Thank you "D'Lon." He said. "Continue to monitor the situation." Closing the console down, he turned to Archer. "I assure you, Captain, such violent measures are unwarranted." Archer frowned and shook his head. "I didn't order that," he said. Reaching for his communicator, Archer flipped it open. "Archer to Enterprise..." There was no response. --- Phlox stood by Reed's bed in the Surrumaran infirmary, dismally watching the lieutenant's vital signs. There had been very little change in either Reed or Tucker's condition and the doctor was worried He had no resources to combat telepathic assault and could only stand by and watch while the Surrumaran did all that they could. Phlox made sure the men were comfortable and receiving plenty of fluids. Beyond that there was not a thing he could do. A sound of movement behind him caused Phlox to turn and look over his shoulder. "Captain Archer," he said solemnly as the captain approached him. "I am afraid I have no news." Archer nodded. "We've got a problem," he said. "I can't reach the ship." Phlox frowned. "Odd," he said. "Sub-commander T'Pol can usually be relied upon. Perhaps there is a problem with the comms?" "Maybe." Archer didn't look convinced. "The Surrumaran say that Enterprise has armed weapons and targeted this complex." A groan from Malcolm had both Archer and Phlox turn to look at the lieutenant. Reed slowly rolled his head from side to side and his eyelids fluttered as he struggled towards consciousness. Phlox moved to his side and glanced up at the bio-medical readouts on the wall next to the bed. "Lieutenant, can you hear me?" He laid a hand on Reed's shoulder. Archer moved to the other side of the bed and looked down into Reed's face. "Malcolm?" Blue-grey eyes blinked open, fuzzy and unfocussed and Reed groaned again, struggling to stay awake. "Captain," he whispered. "Important..." "What is it, Malcolm?" Archer leaned closer to catch the faint words. "What's important?" Reed groaned with pain. "Can't...remember..." his brow creased with concentration as he seemed to search for what he needed to say. "D'Naida..." Reed gasped and shook his head and then in a sudden moment of clarity, he met Archer's eyes. "She...knows..." he said. Phlox shifted his weight from one foot to the other and shook his head at the readings over Reed's bed. "Take it easy, Lieutenant," he said firmly. "Don't stress yourself." "She knows...everything." Reed sighed. "Enterprise...in danger...she knows...specs, weaknesses..." He let out his breath on a shuddering groan. "I'm ... sorry," he breathed and then his eyes slipped closed again. "Malcolm?" Archer looked at Phlox. "He's unconscious, Captain." The doctor shook his head. "I am afraid I can't revive him; the stress on his system just from that short period was too great." Archer nodded and frowned. "I'm going back to the ship," he said. "I need to find out what's happening up there." "Of course." Phlox nodded. "I will try to keep you informed." Archer sighed, glancing from Malcolm's bed, to the one alongside it, occupied by the unconscious Chief Engineer. Somehow, he was going to get them, and his ship out of this situation. He didn't know how, but whatever it took, he was going to do it. --- Captain Archer arrived back aboard his ship to find quiet chaos reigning. Even as he stepped off the transporter pad, after the Surrumaran beamed him aboard using their advanced systems, he could sense that something was very wrong. He made his way out of the transporter-room and along a corridor to the lift, glancing around at Crew-members who seemed almost afraid to look him in the eyes or greet him. When the lift doors opened, the captain stepped inside and nodded to the two crewmen already there. They were security officers. He recognized them as a pair that Malcolm often selected for away missions. Archer keyed the button for the bridge but one of the men stepped forward, hitting the override and reprogramming the lift to go to the armory. Puzzled, Archer turned to look at him, an instant before his senses were shut down by a phaser-pistol blast on stun. --- Hoshi Sato turned to look at a flashing yellow light on her console and tapped a button to see a report of why the alert had been activated. She frowned and looked at the sub-commander. "I'm detecting weapons fire in the lift," she reported. T'Pol nodded, but didn't move from her seat. "Acknowledged," she said coolly. Hoshi frowned and glanced across the bridge meeting the worried eyes of Ensign Mayweather and then she looked at Tanner. The security officer shook his head slightly and flicked a glance at T'Pol before he looked away. Hoshi swallowed hard and turned back to the comms. Something was awfully wrong. Hoshi feigned working, her hands moving automatically over her console, but her mind was busy with the problem of how she could get to the captain and let him know what was going on. T'Pol seemed bent on launching an attack on Surrumar. She hadn't taken any decisive steps as yet, but Hoshi worried that it was only a matter of time. After a moment, an idea hit her and Hoshi had to force herself not to spin around to face Travis. Carefully, making her movements as casual as possible she typed a text message into the comms relay and sent it to Mayweather's console. After several seconds she glanced over at him and caught his slight nod. Hoshi nodded back to him and gave him a half smile. Her eyes went briefly to T'Pol and then back to Mayweather who looked shocked for a moment, and then he nodded. Hoshi was confident she could trust him to do what she had suggested. Hoshi returned her attention to her console for the next few moments. She needed to time this right, and not make her actions too obvious. --- The infirmary was quiet, the two patients resting as comfortably as Phlox could make them, and the doctor was seated at a desk reading a Surrumaran medical text when the doors opened and three Surrumaran he had not previously met walked in. One was a female, the other two were male and they proceeded straight to the beds occupied by Phlox' patients. The female put a hand on Reed's temple and closed her eyes. After a moment she shook her head and Turned towards Tucker's bed. The Denobulan was on his feet and intercepted her before she touched Commander Tucker. "I am Phlox," he said, a note of challenge in his voice. "I'm the physician in charge of these two patients. Is there something I can assist you with?" The female inclined her head and Phlox was struck by the fluid grace of her movements. He was reminded of some of the feline creatures found on Denobula and he found her instantly fascinating. "I am D'Laren," the woman said in that same harmonic voice that all Surrumaran possessed. She smiled and indicated the two males. "My bond mate, D'Taar, and our colleague, Doctor D'Kahl." This was the first time Phlox had heard a Surrumaran refer to anyone other than himself as 'Doctor,' He nodded and then looked at D'Laren. "Do you mind telling me what you're doing here, and why you were touching my patient?" "I am a psychologist," D'Laren replied. "D'Iarin called D'Taar and I here to intervene in this case...and it is not a moment too soon, the dark one is in very serious condition. If I may, I would like to examine his mate." Mollified, Phlox nodded and stepped aside. He watched as D'Laren pressed her hand against Tucker's temple and closed her eyes again in the same manner as she had with Reed. She spent longer here, and her expression, when she turned to Phlox was grim. "This is...unthinkable," she said, her musical voice tinged with regret and abhorrence. "That one of our own could do such things is...detestable." She turned to D'Kahl and the two seemed to commune silently for some few seconds before D'Laren returned her attention to Phlox. "D'Naida has violated our morals, Doctor, and not only physically harmed another with her abilities; she has attempted to kill in this case. A gesture to Tucker. "You may be assured we will repair the damage she has done, but it will take time..." The female turned to D'Taar. "Please go with D'Kahl and inform D'Iarin of what has transpired here. Inform him that D'Naida must be neutralized. D'Taar looked shocked, his green eyes growing wide at the words of his bond mate, but he didn't speak, only nodding and casting a glance at the two human males before he swung around on his heel and left the room. D'Laren looked into Phlox' eyes. "Some of what I am about to do, may appear unorthodox and worrisome to you, Doctor, but I swear to you, I have the best interests of our patients in mind." Phlox nodded and glanced towards the doors where the two Surrumaran males had recently departed. "You said D'Naida is to be neutralized...what did you mean by that?" "She will not be harmed, Doctor," the woman said. "Merely rendered incapable of causing further harm." --- On the bridge of Enterprise, the atmosphere was tense as the bridge crew waited for T'Pol to make her next move. The Vulcan seemed oblivious to the tightly strung emotions of the humans around her. She stared into the forward view screen her eyes intense and her body posture stiff and erect. Once in a while a flicker of emotion betrayed itself on her carefully schooled features but they were fleeting and always quickly controlled. She barely stirred in her seat as the minutes ticked slowly by. The Vulcan glanced towards the communications officer when Hoshi suddenly groaned and slumped forward over her console. "Ensign Sato," she said in a low, modulated voice. "What is the matter?" Sato didn't reply, merely leaning her forehead against her console and groaning again. T'Pol got to her feet and took a half step towards Hoshi, but she stopped and swung around to face Mayweather as the pilot quickly came to his feet. She regarded the phase pistol in his hand without surprise, and slumped unconscious to the deck when Mayweather fired at her. On the other side of the bridge, Sato made a rapid recovery and got to her feet. "Good work, Travis," she said. She moved to T'Pol's side and felt for a pulse; finding one, she nodded and looked up at Mayweather. "Call security to get the sub-commander to sick bay. I'm going to try and find the captain." A glance at Tanner." "You've got the bridge," she said. --- The first thing that Archer became aware of was pain. His head ached intolerably and he felt as though he'd been smacked in the head with a sonic wrench. Rolling onto his back, he pressed one hand to his forehead and groaned. The floor under him was cold. No carpet here and he vaguely remembered the lift being re-routed to the armory. The captain shook his head and cracked open one eye. He was lying next to a torpedo bracket. Slowly, he looked around, taking stock of the situation. The two crewmen he'd met in the lift stood nearby. One of them had a phase pistol trained on him and Archer spread his hands in a gesture of surrender. He moved to sit up, leaning his back against the torpedo brace. His neck hurt and he rubbed it with one hand, looking his guards over for a moment. "Mind explaining what's going on?" Silence. "Okay..." Archer bowed his head, thinking fast. His memory of arriving on Enterprise was sketchy--being stunned will do that to you--he thought. He could remember the sense of something being wrong.--I should have armed myself--but hindsight was always 20/20. The captain sighed and gave a small shake of his head. It was no good sitting here thinking of 'could-a-beens.' He needed to think of a way out of this situation. Weapons wouldn't be a problem; he was in the armory after all. Getting a hold of one though, could prove difficult. He looked up, meeting the eyes of the man who still held the phase pistol pointed at him. Archer gave a disarming grin. If he could get them talking, he might spot an opportunity. "You're Johansson, right?" Silence. "You guys really had me going," Archer said with a chuckle. Maybe if he played it dumb, they'd relax their guard. "This some kind of drill? Malcolm teed this up, didn't he? I'll have to commend him for his..." "Shut-up." Johansson waved the phase-pistol. "Sir." Archer frowned and shifted his attention to the other crewman. "Crewman West?" The man shifted his weight but refused to look the captain in the eye. "Crewman?" Archer tried again. This time a pair of dark eyes flicked to his face and away again. The captain noted the nervous gleam and narrowed his eyes. Okay, so not everyone was in on this insurrection or whatever it was. He focussed his attention on West, ignoring Johansson. "Crewman, you're aware of the penalties for mutiny..." Johansson lunged forward and whipped the weapon across Archer's cheek. "I told you to shut-up, Captain!" Archer reacted by grabbing Johansson's arm and rolling with the crewman's momentum. He pulled his adversary to the floor and they struggled desperately for a few seconds. Archer gripped the man's wrist, pressing his thumb hard into the carpal nerve. He looked around for West. The man hovered uncertainly his eyes flicking between the captain and Johansson. The captain felt Johansson's wrist flex and the man let go of the phase pistol with a cry of pain. Archer grabbed for it, but Johansson bucked, throwing the captain to the floor and snatched up the weapon. He adjusted the setting to kill and aimed it at Archer's head. "No!" West seemed to come out of some kind of daze and launched himself at Johansson. The crewman spun to face him and fired. West screamed and fell to the floor. Taking advantage of the distraction, Archer lunged for Johansson's legs and tackled him to the floor. Rage boiled through him and he punched the crewman solidly in the jaw, knocking him unconscious. Archer took the phase-pistol from the crewman's slackened grip and turned his attention to West. He searched for a pulse and shook his head with a sigh of regret. {He saved my life...} Archer gently closed the young crewman's eyes. He carefully set the phase-pistol back on stun and then scrambled for cover at the sound of running footsteps in the corridor. "Captain?" A female voice called. "Sir, are you in here?" "Hoshi," Archer raised his head from behind the Torpedo Bracket, but He stayed behind it, Phase-pistol in hand and ready to fight if he needed to. "Oh thank goodness I found you!" Hoshi noticed the phase-pistol and raised her hands to show she was unarmed. "It's okay, Sir. I'm on your side...I hope." "Where's T'Pol?" "She's in sickbay, sir. Crewman Cutler has her under sedation. She...wasn't herself." With a nod, Archer moved out of his hiding place, and went to a weapons locker. He replaced his phase-pistol and armed himself with a fresh one, handing one to Sato as well. "Let's get back to the bridge," he said. --- "I cannot believe this is true!" D'Iarin confronted D'Taar and D'Kahl in his office. "D'Naida is my best and brightest student! I cannot believe she deliberately sought to do harm...surely she was mistaken...she didn't understand the species...she..." His voice held a pleading tone and he looked from one to the other. "Please, can't we speak with her first?" "D'Iarin," D'Taar spoke in a gentle tone. "You were ever one to become too attached to your students. D'Laren has seen into the minds of these humans; she showed D'Kahl and I the damage that was done...deliberate harm, D'Iarin. D'Naida is no child; she understands her powers. She has been your student for 5 terms." "Yes...but...but I was not here to guide her in this...I was away. I should have come when I first sensed that she was uncertain...I should have returned to guide her. I am sure that she meant only to help the humans!" "She attempted to destroy bond-mates!" For the first time, D'Taar's voice held a note of anger and impatience. "You know there is nothing Surrumaran hold more sacred than a love bond!" D'Iarin bowed his head and sighed with regret. "Very well," he conceded. "Let us get this over with." The three males moved out of the office and walked along a narrow corridor. D'Iarin stopped by a panel set into a recess in the wall and took a rectangular chip from his pocket which he pressed against the panel. The wall shimmered for a moment and then melted away to reveal a small cell. D'Naida sat on the one small bed in the cell, her eyes closed, apparently meditating. "DNaida," The superintendent said. "D'Naida, we have come...to..." He couldn't continue and bowed his head. D'Kahl stepped forward. "D'Naida, you are guilty of using your powers for harm, and of intentionally attempting to kill and destroy a love bond. You are sentenced to neutralization..." He faltered and staggered back a few paces when D'Naida opened her eyes and looked at him. D'Kahl blinked and reached his hands out to D'Taar and D'Iarin. "Form the triad," he gasped. "Fools!" D'Naida got to her feet. "Do you think your ancient ways will serve you any more? We have grown stronger; we will overthrow your foolish governance." "D'Naida..." D'Iarin pleaded with her. "You do not understand..." "No, old one, YOU do not understand." D'Naida stepped closer to him. "For generations you have tried to suppress us, to hold us back from developing the potential given us as a birth right...you have oppressed the gifted ones, treated us like something filthy to be hidden away and cast aside. Nature decreed that we should advance, yet YOU hold us back!" "These powers are abnormal!" D'Kahl broke in. The three males grasped hands to form a triangular shield against the psychic power emanating from the female. "You wish to use them for harm, it is not our way!" "But it is OURS." D'Naida glared at D'Kahl. "We are tired of playing galactic nurse-maid, offering the hand of healing to all who come here. Scorned for our outdated methods, laughed at by all...until they need help. We have seen a better way...conquest, power...even these humans understand it...they explore...and happily attack anything and anyone that keeps them from their 'mission.' I have sensed it in them...oh they suppress it...but the lust for power and blood is in them so deeply they cannot overcome..." She laughed. "Even their vessel of 'exploration' is armed with enough destructive force to blast this complex, and everyone in it to ash!" "Enough DNaida!" D'Taar spoke harshly. "Your game is over...it is time for the ritual." "You are more stupid than I realized," the female replied. "If you think that by taking my powers you will prevent the inevitable. I am only one. There are many others willing to fight and win our freedom from your antiquated ways." D'Taar ignored her and strengthened his grip on the others. "Let us begin." "No!" D'Naida lunged forward and reached for their hands. Placing one hand on each D'Iarin's, she closed her eyes, chanting in the strange tongue the Surrumaran employed for some of their rituals. She cried out on a note of pain as the three of them increased their shielding of her psychic assault, but she did not release her grip. For tense moments they battled silently until D'Naida found a weakness and broke through. D'Iarin screamed and broke his hand clasp with the other males, staggering under the psychic onslaught as D'Naida turned all of her attention to him. He stumbled to his knees with a groan as blood ran from his ears. DNaida gave a cry of triumph and released him, watching as he fell lifeless to the floor. She rounded on the others. "See!" she cried, pointing at the dead superintendent. "You cannot prevail...your Triads are useless against our power!" D'Taar caught hold of D'Kahl's hand and pulled him out of the room, sealing the entrance behind them. "We must call for more of the council members," he said hurriedly. "Our strongest telepaths...we need all of them immediately!" --- "Strength is born in the deep silence of long-suffering hearts; not amid joy." --Sir Arthur Helps --- D'Laren stood by the bed of Malcolm Reed and stared down into the human's face. He was deeply unconscious and progressing deeper by the moment. Yet, there was some inner core of strength in him that he drew from. D'Laren had a feeling she knew what it was and she touched his hand briefly before she turned to look at Tucker. Reaching a decision, she nodded to herself and turned away from the human males. "Doctor Phlox?" she called. The Denobulan came out of a small office he had been allowed the use of and walked over to D'Laren. "Is there something I can help you with?" "I believe there is," D'Laren moved back to Tucker's side. "These two puzzle me," she admitted. "Their cerebral structure is such that they both should have succumbed long before now to the assault they have endured...yet they live. They appear to draw strength and comfort from one another...and this is helping them to resist." D'Laren looked into Phlox' eyes. "However, they are weakening, and we must intervene as soon as possible. To begin with, I wish to change their positioning. I think it would be beneficial to them to be in physical contact. I realize they are neither telepathic, nor even touch telepathic, Doctor, yet, being closer to one another will make a difference when I begin to work with them." "Of course," Phlox nodded. "Whatever you think will aid in their recovery." D'Laren nodded. "Do you trust me, Phlox?" "Trust?" Phlox was puzzled by the question and it showed in his expressive face. "I ask because what I propose to do will seem as though it is doing more harm than good." "Frankly...I don't think I can answer that question other than in the negative," Phlox told her. "However, at this point, I seem to have few alternatives." D'Laren turned to her patients. "Very well, let us commence by moving them." --- Captain Archer and Hoshi were greeted by an obviously relieved Tanner and Mayweather as they stepped out of the lift. Archer moved to his chair and sat down, taking a moment to rub his face with one hand. This had been a long day, and didn't look like being over yet. Straightening in his chair, he looked at Tanner. "Report," he said. Tanner looked at his console. Everything appears quiet on the planet, sir," he said. Archer nodded and glanced at Hoshi, "Call Phlox." Hoshi turned to her controls. After a moment she glanced at the captain. "He's responding." "Phlox," Archer said. "What's your status?" "Captain! It's good to hear from you," the doctor's voice came over the comms. "We're making progress here. One of the Surrurmaran psychologists is on the case. I am confident she knows what she is doing." Archer thought he could hear a hint of doubt in the Denobulan's tone, but he didn't mention it. "Any word on when you might be returning to the ship? I could use Malcolm up here." "I'm afraid I don't know, Captain," Phlox replied, "But I will keep you informed." There was a pause. "Is everything all right up there?" "We had a few...problems," Archer replied. "Nothing we can't handle." As he nodded to Hoshi to shut off the comms Archer hoped that was the truth. He still had the problem of determining which of his crew he could trust. --- In the infirmary, D'Laren paused in her meticulous instructions to nursing staff regarding her patients and inclined her head as though listening to some distant sound. A gasp broke from her lips and she shook her head in mute denial. Watching her, Phlox frowned. "D'Laren?" The psychologist didn't respond immediately, she held up one hand, acknowledging his query, but she continued to listen to the inner dialogue. After a moment, she looked at Phlox. "D'Iarin is dead," She murmured. "We must lose no time." She moved to Reed's side, knowing that of the two he was stronger. "I will need your help, Doctor. You will need to...hold him down." Phlox nodded and moved to put his hands on Reed's shoulders. He met D'Laren's eyes and nodded. "Ready," he said. D'Laren pursed her lips and her bright green eyes closed. She touched her fingertips to Reed's forehead and began to murmur words in the same strange tongue that D'Naida had spoken when she first touched Reed's hand. Phlox felt a tremor run through Reed's body and he tightened his hold on the lieutenant. He watched D'Laren intently, silently praying that allowing her to touch Reed was the right thing to do. An instant later, all thoughts of trust, wrong, or right were swept away as Reed screamed and arched his back, trying to throw Phlox off of him. The Denobulan took a firmer hold and pressed the human male down with all his weight. Reed thrashed, his arms and legs flailing and Phlox muttered Denobulan curses as he was struck several times, but he retained his hold on the lieutenant, grimly holding on for all he was worth. Beside Reed, Tucker stirred and called Malcolm's name. He appeared to still be unconscious, but his arms encircled his partner and he quieted. Reed seemed to relax briefly, and Phlox let out his breath on a heartfelt sigh. D'Laren raised her head and her eyes opened, but they were unfocussed and glazed. She pressed her hands to Reed's temples and bowed her head, her eyes closed again and she crooned to her patient in tones that were more like song than speech. Reed tensed, and the battle began anew. --- In her cell, D'Naida raged. She paced the length of the small room restlessly, halting now and again to press her hands to her temples and mutter in an undertone. They were fighting her off. Reed and Tucker, drawing strength from each other and aided...aided by whom? She couldn't identify the heavily shielded mind that augmented their strength. D'Naida snarled and spun on one heel to pace to the other end of her cell. They must not be allowed to break her influence. She closed her eyes and poured all of her mental faculties into an assault that reached beyond the frail human minds to the other. She would not be beaten now...not when her plans were so close to fruition! --- D'Laren began to tremble, her hands breaking the contact with Reed for an instant as she collected herself and then dove back into the silent fight for control of the human's mind. She must not fail in this. She would not allow D'Naida to use these men as instruments in her plans. A fine sheen of perspiration broke out on the psychologist's brow and she knit her brows together, breathing heavily as she countered D'Naida's assault. {Reed, Tucker,} she called telepathically. {Fight!} Phlox struggled to keep Reed still as he glanced up at the bio-readouts above the bed. He could make little sense of the readings. Synaptic readings were off the scale, and Reed's heart-rate was elevated, his blood pressure edged towards critical and Phlox ground his teeth, praying that D'Laren knew what she was doing. A part of his mind screamed at him to call a stop to the procedure but he was unsure if that would cause worse damage at this point; he was not even sure if administering any drugs would adversely affect the outcome. Drawing a deep breath, he shook his head and decided that for now, he would simply comply with D'Laren's request and hold Reed down. D'Laren's voice raised and her words tumbled out in rapid succession. She firmly pressed her palms against the lieutenant's temples. Reed arched, cried out and finally subsided into silence as his body went completely limp under Phlox. Slowly, the Denobulan raised his eyes to the bio screen, afraid to look, convinced Reed was dead. --- D'Naida felt her control slipping. Reed and Tucker were pulling away from her. She could no longer reach Tucker; her hold on him had been tenuous from the beginning, and he slipped out of her reach more rapidly than Reed did, but she could feel Tucker pulling Reed with him and her hold on his mind grew weaker. "No!" D'Naida shrieked. This couldn't be happening, where were her followers, the ones who had sworn to aid her in her fight...where were the minds that had helped her against the Vulcan. Why weren't they fighting? Desperately, she lashed out one last time through the fading link with Reed, striking at the powerful, shielded mind that had pulled the humans away. The backlash to her assault was immediate and devastating. D'Naida shrieked in agony and reeled to the floor. She lay there, unmoving, her breathing ragged, and finally with the knowledge that she was beaten, came a name. D'Naida opened her eyes and struggled to lift her head. "D'Laren..." She sighed, and then let her head fall to the floor again. It was over. --- The atmosphere in the infirmary gave no indication of the drama that had so recently unfolded. Tucker and Reed rested quietly, their vital signs strong and stable. D'Laren lay on another bed, deeply asleep, and Phlox monitored all three of them with satisfaction. He would never fully understand all that had transpired, but it was enough to him, to know that his patients were out of danger. The Denobulan sighed and turned to look over his shoulder as the infirmary doors opened and D'Taar entered, followed by D'Kahl and Captain Archer. The doctor walked forward to greet them. "I'm happy to say that all of my patients are resting comfortably," he said with a broad, triangular smile. The Surrumaran males nodded, D'Taar moving past the doctor to his bond-mate's side. Phlox turned to the captain. "I trust everything is all right on board the ship?" Archer nodded. "Everything's fine. Once the rebels here were subdued by the triads...our people were released." He frowned. "I think you will need to work with Johansson for a while though; he blames himself for..." Archer trailed off, realizing that Phlox didn't know about Crewman West's death yet. There was a lot that Phlox would need to be briefed on. The captain glanced towards the two officers who still shared the same bed. Phlox turned and walked over to them, waving the captain to follow. "They're sleeping," he said in answer to the unspoken question in Archer's eyes. "D'Laren managed to wrest control from D'Naida, and then restored Lieutenant Reed to his own mind." Phlox' smile was almost a wince. "It was...not an easy time." "D'Naida?" Archer glanced around. "I'm afraid I don't know anything about her condition, Captain. D'Laren said she will be cared for, but they have removed her from the planet. It was considered...prudent under the circumstances." Archer nodded, his expression tinged with regret. "D'Taar told me they were able to put down the rebellion by using something D'Laren discovered about Trip and Malcolm..." "Oh?" Archer nodded. "Apparently, their...bond with each other was what kept them alive...their...love strengthened them. D'Laren ordered that each telepathic triad should contain one bonded pair." Phlox met the captain's eyes with a small shrug. "Wasn't it one of your planet's sages that once said...'love conquers all.'?" "Virgil," Archer agreed. "I guess he was right." --- The End