The BLTS Archive - Serpents in The Garden The Tree of Knowledge by Islaofhope (islaofhope@aol.com) --- Disclaimer: All things Star Trek belong to Paramount and Viacom. This is a not-for-profit piece of fan fiction, not intended to infringe on their copyright. Notes: Part of the "Spock Fuhq Fest". This is new material from my rewrite of "Serpents in the Garden." Many thanks to my betas who I couldn't stand to be without: Animasola, Jane, and T'Aaneli. --- Gesturing to McCoy and Spock to take seats at the table, Tyree extracted a pouch from his waistpack and handed it to the dark-haired woman he had introduced as Lila. She was a shorter, stockier version of his dead wife, Nona. "The villagers have taken James. I wish your help in finding him." He opened the pouch and took out a lock of golden hair. "Taken from him during a full moon." Spock made a soft sound of surprise, but sat back, his face impassive. McCoy opened his mouth but found that he had nothing to say, so he closed it and sat back to watch. The woman held the lock of hair in her hands and closed her eyes. She began to speak quietly, apparently describing a room. The room where Jim was held prisoner? McCoy couldn't help swinging his eyes over to Spock. That eyebrow had risen so far up his forehead that McCoy expected it to crawl right off Spock's face. Tyree nodded. "I know where he is. I have been there for trade negotiations with the village council." He put out his hand, and Lila relinquished the lock of hair. "Thank you, Lila." Trailing behind them once again, McCoy was astonished when Spock said to Tyree, "If I may ask, how did you obtain that...souvenir, and what were you planning to do with it? Surely, you did not anticipate that you would need it for this eventuality?" McCoy thought of love potions and black magic, and he wondered if Spock was thinking the same thing. He realized that he knew very little about Tyree and the customs of his people. Tyree stopped and looked at the small pouch in his hand. "I intended it only as a keepsake. I took it as he slept. It was merely chance that the moon was full two nights ago." He extended the pouch to Spock. "If you wish it...?" Spock shook his head. "It is your keepsake. It is fortuitous that it has provided us assistance in identifying the whereabouts of my captain." With a laugh, Tyree gripped Spock's arm briefly. "Yes, we will find him." McCoy was surprised that Spock did not appear to resent that hand on his arm. Tyree turned to McCoy. "You wished to learn Nona's healing arts. Lila can teach you much while we go to the village." "I'm coming with you," McCoy said quickly. "Jim may be hurt." "If we find him tonight, we will bring him back here. If we do not, we will take you with us tomorrow morning." Tyree looked at Spock, who lifted an eyebrow before he nodded in silent agreement. --- Spock followed Tyree to the village, and Tyree led Spock into a dark passageway. Within moments, they were peering into a room that had the appearance of a council chamber. The room was empty, and Tyree shook his head. Spock silently followed Tyree through other dark passageways, but they found no sign of the captain. After one point three hours of visiting empty places, Tyree said, "If you do not object, I believe that we should wait until morning." He turned to look at Spock. "I do not believe that he is in immediate danger." Spock hesitated, but under the non-interference regulations, he must depend on Tyree. Without Tyree's cooperation, he would not be permitted to retrieve his captain. "Very well." "We will stay here tonight," Tyree announced. 'Here' was a small, sparsely furnished attic room in the building that housed the council chamber. It offered few comforts, but it was dry and not unreasonably cold. He did not ask Tyree why they did not return to Lila's camp. His stomach contracted as he realized that he was relieved not to return to the camp. He did wish to be alone with Tyree; his voice and calm manner soothed Spock's apprehensions. Guilt was illogical, he reminded himself. Jim had found pleasure in far less innocent activities with this tall, well-built man. He followed Tyree's lead in pulling off his boots, and settling down beside him on the straw-filled mattress. Apparently, Tyree had spent the night here before; he produced a blanket from a hidden cupboard. Involuntarily, Spock was reminded of nights spent with Jim in similar or worse conditions. Would he ever do so again? If...when Spock found him alive, would Jim remind Spock that he no longer wanted him as his first officer? "When I first saw James after so many years apart, I believed that he had changed." Although Tyree's voice was soft, the unexpected sound cut through the silence, and Spock controlled a flinch. Spock cleared his throat. "Naturally. He was very young when first you knew him. It is not surprising that he has been changed by his experiences." "No," Tyree said. "He is the same. Only he seemed different, because he was so intent on finding a way to kill the villagers. He was suffering from the effects of the mugato bite, of course. And he was worried about you. Only, I did not expect him to be vengeful." Spock shifted over on his side. "He is not. He believed his actions were necessary to protect your people. It was not revenge." The forcefulness of his words surprised even him. Tyree sat up, resting his back against the wall, and his smile was a flash of white teeth in the barely moonlit room. "He was a boy when I first knew him. He told me that he had found paradise when he came to my camp." Spock expelled his breath slowly before he, too, came to a sitting position. "He has spent much of his life searching for paradise...and walking away when he finds it. He distrusts...happiness." Spock squeezed his eyes shut and clutched at the blanket. Tyree shifted to a kneeling position and placed his hand on Spock's chest. "You are his paradise." Spock sighed. "An interesting explanation." He put his hand over Tyree's to hold it there. He could feel an echo of Jim's mind when this man touched him. "Tyree, he...cares for me, but, as I told you before, he is no longer mine." He closed his eyes and saw Jim's angry face and his own shocked expression when Jim had cursed their bond as a threat to his command. Spock no longer had any emotional control with Jim. Perhaps they would both benefit from Jim ending their relationship. He gasped when Tyree picked up his hand and began to suckle each finger individually sending a rush of heat directly to his groin. "Tyree, I do not think - " Tyree pressed his index finger to Spock's lips. Instinctively, Spock opened his mouth, and Tyree's finger slid in. His head spun at the sweetness of this unfamiliar flesh. Tyree's other hand cupped Spock's cheek and then slid down to his right shoulder, massaging it gently but firmly. Spock had not known that his body harbored so much tension until it was released by Tyree's touch. And then Spock was on his knees, too, drawn to Tyree as a magnet to steel. He rubbed his hardness against Tyree's groin and luxuriated in the heat and bulk of the other man's erection. He slid his hands into Tyree's thick shock of straw-colored hair, pulled Tyree's mouth to his own, and opened it with his tongue. Tyree smelled of sagebrush, anise, and other unidentifiable flora. His mouth tasted of toasted marshmallows, a flavor that Spock remembered from a single camping trip on Terra when he was a small child. Illogical. Tyree's planet did not have the technology to produce marshmallows. He kissed Tyree, hungry for more of the sweet taste. Tyree's mouth came away, and they both gasped. Spock tilted his head back, and Tyree nuzzled his ear and his chin before he began to suck on Spock's adam's apple. Spock groaned softly when Tyree's hands slid down to grip his buttocks. His own hands went up to caress Tyree's shoulder and back muscles before he pushed one hand between their bodies to explore the shape of Tyree's erection. Spock slid off the bed onto his knees, his eyes closed, and rubbed his cheek against the bulge in Tyree's trousers. Tyree's hands slid down to unfasten his trousers, but Spock blindly swatted them away. He opened them himself, peeled down the trousers, and rubbed his hands over Tyree's warm, furred legs. Tyree's naked erection drew a wet line against his cheek and, his eyes still closed, Spock turned his head to capture the pulsing flesh. Spock suckled hungrily, stunned by his own need to slide his tongue over the cockhead to taste the unfamiliar juices, and fill his too-long-empty mouth with the thick shaft. He gagged slightly as the heat and sweetness pervaded his throat. Tyree's hands were in his hair, petting his scalp and then stroking the tips of his ears. Tyree's groans were low, almost musical. He stroked Tyree's buttocks, exploring the muscles, which tensed and relaxed. The other man's sounds of pleasure were as satisfying as the texture, warmth, and flavor of his flesh. When Tyree clasped his hand, Spock opened his eyes, allowed Tyree's penis to withdraw from his mouth, and looked up with a faint smile. He kissed Tyree's hand before he opened Tyree's vest to twine the fingers of both hands in the abundant, blond chest hair. His tongue and his teeth found first one hidden nipple and then the other, making Tyree moan out loud, before Spock pulled away. Spock stood up, ignoring the slight tremor in his legs, pulled off his own vest, and deliberately threw it on the ground. He smiled faintly, half-shocked at the perverse thrill of peeling off his trousers and briefs and crumpling them into the same pile. Tyree's pupils had dilated, his lips appeared bruised, but he was smiling as well. Spock raised the other man from his knees to pull him into his arms. Tyree's mouth opened against his, and they kissed again deeply, tongues dueling. Their groins were pressed together, and their erections quested against each other. Tyree's large hands grasped Spock's shoulders. "Do you desire me, Spock? I want you to take me." Heat flowed through him at these words; he held Tyree's eyes as he moistened his forefinger in his mouth and slowly inserted it into Tyree's tight rectum. With his other hand, Spock grasped both of their erections, and he milked them firmly. Tyree's eyes closed, he arched his head back, lips parted, and he groaned softly. Spock growled before he lowered his mouth to the offered throat. Tyree's hand encircled the nape of Spock's neck to hold him there for a moment before he broke the embrace to roll onto his hands and knees, his thighs spread. Spock knelt behind Tyree and reached around to stroke his penis. A large amount of pre-come leaked from Tyree's slit. Mingled with Spock's pre-come, it provided sufficient lubrication to allow comfortable penetration of Tyree's rectum. Gasping as Spock's fingers gently spread the moisture in his anal cavity, Tyree lowered his head and shoulders to the mattress and spread his thighs wider. Spock bit his lip at the tightness as he slowly pushed his penis into Tyree. He pulled out slowly before he pushed in again. With a loud groan, Tyree pushed back hard to envelop Spock's entire penis. Supporting himself on one hand, Tyree reached under to grasp Spock's testicles with his other hand. With a grunt, Spock wrapped his own hand around Tyree's penis. Soon they were both slamming themselves together. "Yessss," Tyree half-shouted, half-hissed before he shot his seed into Spock's hand and collapsed on the bed. Spock grunted as he climaxed before he collapsed as well, pulling his spent penis from Tyree's body, and stretching out on his back. Tyree reached for Spock's hand and kissed it lightly. "Sleep now." He pulled the blanket around them, and they slept without a further word. --- Spock woke, his cheek resting against a muscular back. He slid one hand along the cool skin and murmured, "Jim, t'hat slor. Ashaya." He pressed a kiss into a shoulder blade before he realized that the body beside him was too bulky to be that of his beloved. "Tyree," he breathed as he sat up. Rolling off the bed, he rooted around for his fabricated clothing, which was scattered on the floor, jumbled in with Tyree's clothes. He flinched when two strong hands gripped his shoulders. He turned, and Tyree's mouth came down on his. Spock closed his eyes, unable to resist returning the deep kiss. When their mouths parted, Spock placed his hands on Tyree's chest to hold him away and looked into his eyes. "Why, Tyree? Why did you give yourself to me?" Tyree smiled and took Spock's face in his hands. "You are my brother. Because James is. One gives to a brother in need." He stroked Spock's cheek and, for the first time, Spock felt the calluses on those gentle fingers. "Does it trouble you that you shared pleasure with me?" Spock closed his eyes to shut out Tyree's eager smile and glittering eyes. "I do not know." "I took something from you...when I shared pleasure with James." Tyree kissed Spock's eyelids, his lips feather soft. "My intention was to give it back." Spock opened his eyes and shook his head slowly. "I do not understand." Sitting back on his heels, Tyree grasped Spock's right hand in both of his own. "The circle has been completed. Forgive him now. You belong together." "Tyree." Spock pulled his hand away and swung his legs off the bed. "What is...amiss... between Jim and I had nothing to do with you." As he picked up his clothes and began to dress, Spock realized that although he would have preferred that Jim had not taken this man as his lover, he now understood why Jim had done so. When Spock last stood in his bright presence, Jim had said, "As long as I am the captain, I cannot love my first officer. For the good of the ship, Spock, we just can't do this anymore." As Spock remembered, pain rippled through him, but his emotional control held. Spock did not double over, clutching his stomach. His voice was level when he said, "He attempted to replace what was between us with sexual intimacy with you." "Perhaps. If so, he was unsuccessful. Just as you would be unsuccessful if you attempted to do the same." Tyree reached for his own clothing and began to dress. "James and I both needed to be touched that night. As you needed it last night." Tyree sank down on the mattress to pull on his boots. "Are you certain that you still wish to look for him?" Spock swung around to stare at Tyree, but the expression on the other man's face told Spock that he was being teased. He had experienced it frequently with Jim, but he could not immediately find the place inside himself that knew how to respond appropriately. Instead, he stood up with a soft sigh. "Affirmative. I must find him." He intended to say that it was his duty as first officer of the Enterprise, but instead, he said, "I love him, Tyree." Spock hung his head. He should have said those words to Jim before he told this truth to another. --- Three days later, Spock walked into Tyree's cave, but the man did not look up immediately. The expression on his face, a familiar one to Spock, spoke of his concern for the safety and wellbeing of his people, but that expression relaxed when he did look up. He smiled at Spock. He stood up and stretched out a hand. "I am pleased to see you again, Spock." Spock clasped Tyree's hand in both of his own. "I promised that I would tell you. My captain is well. We will be leaving soon." He hesitated. "I also wished to see you one last time." Tyree nodded. "Yes, it is the last time." He studied Spock's face. "I have something that I wish you to give James from me." He put his hands on the side of Spock's face and leaned forward to brush his lips against Spock's. At first, Spock flinched, but then he relaxed and returned the pressure. His mouth opened to admit Tyree's gentle, insistent tongue. He closed his eyes and savored Tyree's toasted marshmallow taste and sagebrush scent. He felt strong arms wrap around him, and he returned the embrace. They stood that way for three point two minutes, their hard bodies pressed together and their mouths feeding on each other, taking occasional breaths, before they moved apart. Tyree's eyes were sparkling. "Perhaps you will keep that kiss for yourself." Spock traced his forefinger over Tyree's lips and lifted an eyebrow. "Perhaps I shall." In this embrace, he had tasted only the sweetness of Tyree's mouth and known the slight touch of Tyree's fine mind. But the echo of Jim's mindtouch rested in Spock's consciousness, and the golden thread of their bond glittered faintly. Tyree brushed his own fingers across Spock's lips. "Never forget that love is a choice. James has chosen you. And you have chosen him." His smile widened. "Now I envy both of you." "No, I do not believe so." He referred to the fact that there was no jealousy in Tyree. As for Jim choosing Spock...while it was true that Jim had not yet welcomed Spock back into his bed, he would soon. Perhaps tomorrow or the next day. "Your life is here, Tyree." Spock stroked his hands along Tyree's shoulders and grasped his biceps. "It has been an honor to meet you, Tyree. I wish peace and prosperity for your people." "As do I." Tyree kissed Spock again, a light brushing of their lips, before he stepped out of Spock's grasp and glanced around the cave, his mind already elsewhere. His eyes shifted back to Spock's, and he smiled. "Live long and prosper, Spock." A corner of his mouth quirked up. "Live long and prosper, Tyree." He glanced back before he exited the cave, but Tyree had already resumed his perusal of the documents on his worktable. Spock was walking away from the hill people's camp, heading for the beam-up spot, when he remembered that Tyree had not given him an additional kiss to deliver to Jim. But he did not turn around. -- - continued in "Serpents in the Garden"-