The BLTS Archive - Chateau (Home) Tenth in the Blackbird series by Cavalaxis (cavalaxis@hotmail.com) --- (c)12/07/1999 Reading Suggestions: At Telynor's suggestion, Desert Rose by Sting (Brand New Day) Disclaimer: Paramount owns Star Trek. All of it. I claim no profit. I do claim the story. Archive: Yes Feedback, s'il vous plait Gratitudes: To my beta and friend, Telynor. You have been an inspiration to me. I couldn't have made it this far without you. Now, GET BACK TO WRITING!! --- The tears had been few. I must admit, after all that she had been through, she handled herself admirably. I don't know if I myself could have done as well. Although I was lulled by the safety of my surroundings, she quickly reminded me that Admiral Jacobson would not give up as easily as had without good cause. Even after assuring her that all logs stated that she had been killed in the shuttle explosion, she continued to be restless. She intended to return to Mars Outpost, to Max and his subterranean cyborg shop. She took the schematics for Mr. La Forge's VISOR with her. It has been three weeks since she departed. My blackbird has disappeared into the night, I fear never to be seen or heard from again. The Admiral did find his excuse to have the shuttle explosion thoroughly investigated. His men have been all over this ship a dozen times. We've been delayed twice now, but our next mission is for cartography, and thus can wait. She hadn't even said goodbye. I remember my uniform tunic still wet with her tears and me, sitting dumb- founded in my ready room, wondering what had happened. I slam my fist into the table and succeed in doing nothing more than to spill my tea. I watch the liquid seep across the desk. Time slows and makes the liquid seem more viscous than it is in reality. The tears I had been repressing surged to the surface. Suddenly my face is wet and there is nothing I can do to stop them from coming. There is no control to be had. I had promised her that we would have the time together. She had made no such promise. She had just faded into the shadows from whence she had come. I might as well have given my heart to a ghost. The door chime startles me. I hastily wipe my face on my sleeve and begin to sop up the mess on my desk. "Come." It is Data. His face is serene and I envy him the ability to switch off his emotion. "Sir, the Admiral's secretary informs me that Starfleet Intelligence has completed the search of your family home. They apologize for any inconvenience they may have caused you. Did you need some assistance, sir?" My attempt to clean up the spill is half-hearted at best. "Thank you, Data. No, I can manage." "As you wish. They also indicate that your presence is required as soon as possible. Apparently before the last of their people can depart, they require your verification that the property is in the same condition they found it." "What does it matter?" My nerves are just under my skin and it is precisely this type of bureaucratic nonsense I can do without today. "The commander in charge was insistent, sir. I told him I would relay your answer." "Then tell him I will be there, this evening." Damn Jacobson. Damn them all. "I will tell security and arrange for your escort, sir." Data turns to leave and the idea that I need an escort to my own home galls me. "You will do no such thing, Commander. I will spend the evening planetside - by myself. Is that understood?" My temper is barely in check. "Yes, sir." Data is completely indifferent to my moods. The doors swish closed behind him and I know that I must get planetside before I am confronted by either Will or Beverly. I can not trust that they will be as impartial in the face of my anger as Data is. Momentarily, the spill is a memory and I am moving towards my quarters. Within fifteen minutes, I pack a bag, change into civilian clothes, and transport to the surface. --- The sun sets over the hill and I can see the lights of the last craft just in front of the main entrance. With my bag slung over my shoulder, I descend down the gentle slope and make my way across the clearing. The craft is different from any of the Admiral's entourage. In fact, it appears to be a Martian trash barge, or something of similarly questionable lineage. I approach the house tentatively. Who knows what enemies I have made with Admiral Jacobson? The door is locked. In fact, the whole doorframe has been repaired. All right. I'm satisfied with that. I deposit my bag in the foyer and move towards the kitchen. The smell of food cooking washes over me. I take a deep whiff. Coos coos? The sound of the bath upstairs startles me. I turn and take the stairs in an even pace. What kind of sick joke is this? The bed has been turned down. Steam rises from the bathroom and a fire warms the hearth at the foot of the bed. I can still smell her here, can almost see the ghost of her figure approaching me in the humid air. It is then that I feel my hands being brushed aside and a pair of invisible arms snaking about my neck. My mind seizes completely as her warm mouth closes over mine. My hands fall to the silken skin of her back and I pull her closer to me. I seek out and find the clasp at her neck. Undoing it, the E'n'E clatters to the floor and I see her before me, a dream I thought I'd lost forever. Her hair is undone and her eyes are smiling. She reaches up to touch my face, feeling the smile on my lips. She begins to undo the buttons on my tunic. When I protest, she kisses me again and I am drawn deeper into the dream. No, I am surrounded by the exquisite reality of her. Her voice, rich and heavy with accent, informs me of our agenda for the evening, punctuating each phrase with a full-mouthed kiss. "First, we bathe... Then, we eat... Then, we make love until the sun rises..." I have no chance to reply. For now, I have her in my arms and I will cling to this moment as long as the Gods permit me. --- ~File Terminate~